US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

Three interviews. They were fairly easy asking basic questions about the department and my knowledge of international affairs. I found them to be very welcoming and it seemed they wanted to choose me but were being very formal.

Its an internship so....

Logistics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2010.

Once your resume passed the USA job process, you are referred, than called for an interview and possible written testing. Priority is given to certain candidates categories, if you are not a vet, you will need to wait for a long time if your application is submitted to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions, nothing different than what you would expect for this position   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of State.

Apply via USAJobs; it's fairly specific, but beyond the brochure it isn't necessarily clear what the position will entail. I had a special website I was able to look at, which was a gigantic help, but that is far from true for other interns, especially in more obscure offices. The interview was fairly straightforward.

Fulbright Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of State in March 2013.

One interview (via video Skype) with representatives from the State Dept and the US Embassy in the country I was applying for. It was only 30 minutes, most questions coming from the US Embassy officers. The interview was far less difficult and labor intensive than the application packet and essays required to reach that stage of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about an instance where a cultural misunderstanding caused a problem and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    You do not negotiate.

Information Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of State in June 2014.

Lengthy interview and they dont get to tell you where you went wrong. Funny that they decide a pass or fail, and just hand you a letter....worst kind of interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I wanted the job and why I feel suited for the position. I wouldn't want the job if I had not taken the time to avail myself for the interview!!   View Answer

FSO Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at US Department of State.

The hiring process is ardous and long. The written exam is meritorious, but it seems the oral exams are completely arbitrary! Once you are hired, then the security clearance could take a while. Finally, you get your medical clearance check, and it may turn out that you are not qualified for the job due to medical reasons.

none

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of State.

The application process is pretty rigorous, as are all security clearance positions. After you complete your initial application package, you will be contacted for a phone interview. My phone interview was actually pretty brief - they already knew they wanted me and just wanted to verify that I was still interested in the position. Of course, I said yes. The security clearance paperwork following the interview was the most tedious - you really need to know every place you've ever lived at and the dates, etc., as well as everywhere outside of the U.S. that you have travelled, the dates, whom you were with, etc.

Public Affairs Officer Intern Interview

interviewed at US Department of State in December 2013.

Applied online through USA Jobs website and was contacted via email by the post after about a month. The interview process was quite easy and mostly had questions regarding my availability and previous experience. I was able to ask many questions about what type of work I would be doing.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of State in October 2010.

Must be a veteran! Otherwise you won't be considered for employment. The "cert" requires you to have been a veteran. Ten points guarantees you a job, having served in a war zone.

Financial Analyst Interview

In depth interview process. They will bring you through a tough process and compare you to other people. This is government so its a people organization. People skills are valued as much as professional viability.

swift

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!