USAA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer & Integrator III Interview

Software Developer & Integrator III
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at USAA in April 2010.

Interview Details You'll have one initial interview with a recruiter (usually at a recruiting event/conference, college campus, phone, etc) and if that goes well, you'll be flown to San Antonio for a full interview. You'll spend the day being shown the campus, learning about USAA's history and culture, clubs and organizations within the company, and have a closed interview, usually with 2 employees. Because this is a college hire position, the interview is less technical and more personality-based, as they want to see how well of a culture fit you'll be. They'll generally assess technical competence in the context of your answers. Time will vary on how long it takes to hear back, but they'll contact you whether it's a yes or a no.

Interview Question – There's a logical, mathematical or brain-teaser type question, which may throw you off after an interview of being assessed based on your personality. You may feel like you have to answer this question exactly right, but don't worry so much about getting the correct answer -- they're more so looking for what kind of analytical, thought process you go through to get to the answer. And this is one of those things where you either have it or you don't.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For this particular position, because it's entry level, you'd have less room for negotiation. For a position where you're coming in with experience, particularly skills that USAA has high demand for, negotiating is encouraged.

Software/Systems Engineer I Interview

Software/Systems Engineer I
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at USAA in October 2010.

Interview Details The first interview was a simple, short interview at a conference--just a few minutes talking with a recruiter. Walking out of that, I felt the interviewer was not impressed with me and that they didn't like their employer. I was quite surprised to get a second interview! It was encouraging to be told that if you got the second interview, your odds of getting the job were very high. No technical questions were asked; it was purely a behavioral interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied, a week later got an email for an assesment next week got hone interview then week after got in person interview. one person types what your saying one ask questions

Interview Question – describe a time you had to muti task, what did you do and what was outcome   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied in June of 2014 for the June, July, and August classes. It took about 2 weeks until I received an email which asked me to take an assessment (on a Tuesday) and I received a call the next day to schedule me for an interview on Thursday. I was contacted promptly by USAA HR at the scheduled time and the interview lasted about 25 minutes. The questions were pretty standard for any first round interview. In the beginning of the interview they pretty much tell you the starting pay and the hours required to work and then get into the questions. It was pretty smooth for me. At the end of the interview the HR manager told me that they wanted to pass me along to the next round interview on campus with Hiring Managers. They gave me some feedback to prepare myself for the interview. My interview was scheduled the following Thursday, a week later. I was then emailed by the HR Manager with the interview details along with instructions to complete a background check and a drug screening. I made sure to arrive early for my interview since you have to go through security and the campus is quite large. The interview is with 2 Hiring Mangers, one typing and the other mainly asking questions. Both of them made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Once again standard interview questions. At the end of the interview I was told I would hear from the HR Manager in 3 business days. It took 2 business days and I was called with a job offer and sent an email with the official offer. Pretty smooth process overall and I am excited to start my training soon.

Interview Question – You are asked a few questions in the SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) format. Make sure you give details about the situation, how you felt and others felt during the situation, and then how it was resolved.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. This is an entry level position and it has a set starting salary. Very good pay for starting pay.

Intern Interview

Intern
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in October 2013.

Interview Details I was first contacted by a recruiter after submitting my application. I had a phone interview, and then was flown down to the Home Office in San Antonio, TX for an on-site interview. We had a tour and an interview built into one day. We also had dinner the night before with the other candidates and employees from the department. Between breakfast and lunch the day before, I met over 20+ employees who I know work with on a daily basis at my internship.

Interview Question – I had no technical questions-they were all behavioral based.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Financial Foundations Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2014.

Interview Details Was an easy process, applied online, got sent the assessment via email one week later and completed same day to get a call 2 days later for phone interview the next day, face to face interview the next day then the next week was offered the position.

Specialized Investment Services Representative Interview

Specialized Investment Services Representative
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in March 2013.

Interview Details Their HR, at least for pre-hire and prescreening, is run by a 3rd party company. They barely speak English. The worst part is that they had me submit all of my military DD214's (yes I have a few), and then proceeded to tell me that they don't verify military experience. I asked them why they had me submit my DD214's to them if they don't verify military experience. I could not get a straight answer.

Interview Questions

• I want you to sell me this phone (as the interviewer reaches in his pocket as pulls out his cellphone).   View Answers (2)
  • Can you tell us about any of your prospective opportunities.   View Answer

Marketing Copywriter Interview

Marketing Copywriter
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in July 2012.

Interview Details Started with a one hour phone interview, then got called back for an in-person interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview was very comfortable and the hiring manager asked a lot of good questions. The in-person interview was humorous at first because the manager was in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans (casual Friday). Again, it went really well. I appreciate that he let me talk about my work quite a bit rather than just asking the standard, boring questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions had to do with my personality, but I am glad that he asked. He wanted honest answers about things that bother me, which just tells me that he wanted the right person for his team and not just for the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It went pretty quick. The only option was a contractor agreement at a set hourly rate. There really was no negotiation. You do have a lot to do before you can start (drug test, background test, proof of college graduation, etc.), but they're very organized about it.

San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Received email two days later to complete assessment. Received email next day after assessment for a phone interview. After phone interview was scheduled for onsite interview with manager for two days later.

Interview Question – Name a specific time when you had to sell someone something who objected and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. There is a range and your salary is dictated by prior experience, military experience, and education.

San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied online, and about a week later I received an email that I had been scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview was more of a screening process. My interview was with a woman who asked a few basic questions and went over the job description and made sure I was okay with the training hours and start date. After that, I was scheduled for another phone interview. This was my final interview. The woman asked me questions about my previous jobs, and about my sales experience as well as a role play and 2 basic customer service scenarios. I was told I would be contacted in 72 hours. I got a phone call three days later offering me the position. I got an email to either accept or deny the job offer. I accepted and was forwarded a login and password to fill out some new hire paperwork. My experience was positive and everyone I dealt with was very polite.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to change old ways of doing things in order to improve sales. What is your approach to selling something.   Answer Question

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!