Ubisoft

Updated 22 Feb 2015
Updated 22 Feb 2015

2.9

Junior Game Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ubisoft.

Hiring process is rather fast for a big company. A few hours after sending my cover letter and resume, I was invited to a phone interview. After that, I was scheduled for a 24-hour questionnaire, which involved critically assessing a game I have played before. Less than a week after that I was contacted for an interview with lead designers at the studio.

At the point of writing this I am scheduled for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.
      After this question the interview kind of turned into an enjoyable conversation regarding game history, game components, life as a game designer and life at Ubisoft.

Answer Question

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Very standard job interview procedure. You get interviewed by three to five people to see if you are a good fit. If you’re assuming that a tight job market means that an employer doesn’t have to exert much effort to fill its open positions, think again.

Knowing how to “hire smart” is a must for any employer, no matter what the economy looks like. A company that does not think strategically about recruiting could miss out on the best candidates, fail to hire a diverse workforce or worse - expose itself to liability for discriminatory hiring practices.

Now is the time to take a critical look at your hiring process to make sure it is efficient and effective. Remember: A little bit of common sense goes a long way toward hiring the best employees.

What Do You Need in a New Employee?

The first step in your recruiting process should be to prepare a well thought-out job description that can be used for both hiring and employment purposes. When creating a job description, keep the following in mind:

Art Director Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ubisoft.

I was grown into this position after starting as a 2d concept artist. I was hired after graduation from college.

No other things to say. I was a inexperienced at the time and HR took advantage of it

I had no negotiation power as a junior 2d concept artist

Student Ambassador Interview

Filled out an application that was online. 30 minute phone interview, and found out in a week about acceptance to the position. All questions asked were expected, no curve balls.

Assistant Chef De Produit Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

This is my experience of interview for an internship. First meeting with HR and the Chef de Produit. They explained the mission and I introduced myself, background and experience. Second interview with the department manager who askee more about my hobbies and why do I want to join Ubisoft. I am not a hard player but they didn't seem to have a lot of problem with that. It's probably because of the game I was going to work for - a dancing game without much strategy like other games from Ubisoft.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you like to dance? Are you afraid of dancing in front of other people?   View Answer

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)
    Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Only one interview was needed for the position. It consisted of multiple questions. First ones were rather general like saying a few things about me, how I would fit in the team, etc.
    I was then asked if I had any experience for the position I was applying for, what I thought an average day would be like and what tasks I would have to accomplish. Nothing hard.
    The key is to have confidence in what you say and back up your arguments with examples.
    Working as a team is key for this position, so please do NOT say you like working alone ! You probably won't be taken seriously from there on.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question for me was concerning the salary. Saying too much would be presumptuous and saying too few would make me lose an opportunity of getting as much of it possible. I said my performance would speak for itself and avoided the question. Turns out I got a bigger number than anticipated.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

After applying, I have been invited to the screening interview. Everyone was nice, it was a typical screening interview about my background, the project and my career goals. Afterwards, I have been given a technical test. The test was appropriate for the applied position.

The HR has been very nice and have been replying immediately. The process took several weeks.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Took a long time: initial phone interview to filter out bogus candidates. Then a technical interview, then interview with immediate superior + HR drone. Process took about 4 weeks. It did not help that it was during summer, I understand that.

Interview Questions
    • Describe all processes involved during initial boot of a server   Answer Question
    I negociated my holydays more than my pay itself. I did get what I wanted but it took some talking; they were initialy not inclined to give me what I wanted until I walked out of the negociation; they then came back with an agreement on what I've asked.

Tools Audio Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ubisoft.

initial short call from HR to know expected salary, why interested, etc. Then 2 programming tests, one on audio programming and one on general c++ programming. I think I took too long on the general test, I took like 3hrs when it was limited to 2hrs... in any case my performance on that test wasn't good enough to get an interview

Interview Questions
    • audio programming was quite basic, e.g., what is an audio sequencer, what is pro tools. Not really any programming questions in that one. For the general tests, assembly questions (which I ignored), some c#, and some general math/3d questions, like how many vertices are required to be rendered when a game is streaming with a given refresh rate and the player is moving at a speed of X m/s yadayada (pretty sure I bombed that one lol).   Answer Question

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in July 2014.

They got my profile from some recruiting website and the interview was straight forward with a technical round which lasted 1 hour and 30 min and then a test and a technical round after that.

Interview Questions
    • About memory management-> everything related to this topic   View Answer
    Salary is bit of a downside in Ubisoft India studio but you are building games ;)