Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct 2014
Updated 23 Oct 2014

2.8

Train Crew Interview

Safety checklist first, then a short company video before an information session. 1 HR manager and an Engineer -> Manager for UP attended. Make sure you know the job - the lifestyle of Train Crew - before you go. Dress professionally and ready for an interview, but also look like you're ready to work on the line. You'll be dismissed to a waiting area and then they'll call you back for your individual interviews (by last name... be prepared to wait). Safety, Safety, SAFETY. Experience really doesn't matter, safety is above all. Can you be safe? Good. Do you like being safe? Good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about heavy equipment you've used in the past.   Answer Question

Lifestyle

Tankerman Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

first thing is to go online and apply. If you pass the scoring criteria, you will be asked to take a timed test. If you pass hopefully you will be invited to a hiring session. Show up early. Well dressed and prepare for an informative session the first 2 hours. Followed by that, you will get a time slot for a 15 ,i ute interview.

None

Software Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview and it was mostly a behavioral type interview. The duration was about 30 minutes and it was a very pleasant experience. Be prepared to tell why you want to work for Union Pacific. It helps to not have a generic answer and to show sincerity in what they do.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Union Pacific.

I signed up for an interview after talking to the recruiter at the career fair. The interview was a little more than a week later. They asked mostly behavioral questions. They are looking for a person who is flexible and who is a good team member, so think of questions relating to that. They also asked me about my level of experience in things like HTML, Java, javascript, etc. There was only one "technical" question. They'll also ask standard questions like "why do you want to work at UP?" and "what would your ideal internship experience be like?" This was the only step in the interview process.

Operations Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

I applied through my university's career center and was offered the first interview. The recruiter was a great person and did not make me feel uncomfortable or weird. I was asked a lot of behavioral questions and went by quick. No technical questions for the first interview. I was told that I might be extended a second interview if I passed a personality quiz online.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to make a quick and major decision.   Answer Question

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

There were a lot of applicants and the interview process was all day long. There are no tests and you have to solely rely on your personal interview and resume to get the job. If you are not safety minded and display that in your interview you will NOT get hired.

Its all over the internet. You receive an email within a few days and have to complete everything in your employment hub online.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

Applied online a day or two later was sent an email telling me to log back on to the site for a test which had reading and some other easy stuff on it a few days after the test I was sent an invitation though the company site with multiple days to select from for a hiring session. The day of the hiring session has arrived start time is 730am be there like 20 mins early I seen them turn people away being 5 seconds late. First part of the day is videos about the company and job position then they tell you the unpleasant part of the job ie working holidays until you get over 15 years in no vacation time until 120 days of full work not training living out of a hotel every other day no set schedule you will be on call. a lot of people left during the break I stayed along with 20 other people interview was easy make sure you mention how safe of a worker you are when they ask why should we hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Associate Project Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview process was pretty straightforward. I was contacted by hiring manager for an interview and had a single panel interview of 5 people (all of whom I would be my potential co-workers). I think the hiring manager was more or less looking for someone with the aptitude to learn and be trained fairly quickly over someone with many years of experience.

Interview Questions
    I received an offer and accepted. I was more focused on getting a job at the time and didn't really consider negotiating.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

I first spoke to UP at my college's College of Computing specific career fair. They were the only out-of-state company I approached, and I did so only because I knew a handful of people that had interned there the previous summer who spoke very highly of their experiences.

I spoke to two different UP representatives at the career fair, and both were helpful and knowledgeable. When I asked about their tech stack and the type of projects they worked on they were able to respond with actual answers (because they weren't just recruiters). They invited me to sign up for an in person interview in a couple weeks. After speaking with them, I had a very good feeling about them and about UP.

The in-person interview was on campus and was scheduled to last about half an hour, though it did end up running a bit over. I interviewed with one of the representatives that I met at the career fair. He explained how the interview would go, talked a little bit about UP and the internship, and asked a handful of questions. It felt like an interview, but it also felt like a conversation. I had prepared for mostly conceptual OOP questions (based on Glassdoor comments and the experiences of the people I knew), but I wasn't really asked any technical questions at all. Only behavioral questions, though I did talk a good bit about some projects I had worked on and the tools and technologies that I had used (in response to some of his questions).

At the end of the interview he explained exactly how things would proceed from that point: he would continue conducting interviews that day and the next. After that, he would forward his recommendations to HR, and stated that I should hear something in 2 to 3 weeks (whether I received and offer or not).

It was about a week and half after that when I received an e-mail from HR asking me to fill out an online application for the position (or to notify them if I was no longer interested) and about four or five days (three business days) later that I received an offer via e-mail.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked behavioral questions:

Do you smoke/use tobacco products?
      Describe what your ideal internship would be like.
      How have your classes helped prepare you for a position in software development?
      What is something you could improve about yourself/something you struggle with? (I don't remember the exact wording.)
        Answer Question
    I didn't attempt to negotiate. It was an internship, and the offer and perks were already pretty solid, and it was in line with the research I had conducted.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied for the position in July and was subsequently scheduled to take the OMT test online. You receive a pass/fail once you complete and submit the test, I passed by the way. A week or two later you receive a first round interview. They go over the job, pitfalls, and how hard its supposed to be as a scare tactic. I passed the first round interview and was scheduled for a second round 3 weeks later. There are two interviewers in the room but here is where it gets interesting, the interview started off fairly well until they inquired about my Bachelors and Graduate Degree. My Bachelor Degree is Pre-Law and my Grad School Degree is in Business Law. I was asked, how is your degrees relevant for the position? Hmm, we would be managers with employees, all aspects of business is governed by laws, from the labor laws to federal regulations blah blah blah. From that point on, I was antogonized for the my degrees and subsequent military service. I was continuously told I couldn't do the job and perhaps I should be doing some sort of labor law job. They were relaying how long the job is, you will be working 12-15 hour days sometimes for weeks at a time and how they have an attrition issue with their managers. I said no problem, I have deployed to a war zone in the most inhospitable places working for that same length of time and longer and managed people at multiple levels. However, I'am also I'm thinking to myself, you know the problem is overworked managers who can't plan or schedule events in their lives. How about double stacking the managers so they can have set schedules with days off instead of working them to the brink of burning out. You are a multi-billion dollar company and you know what the problem is but refuse to fix it. I digress, totally unprofessional interview, I expected more professionalism and I didn't receive that.