Union Pacific

Relevance Date Difficulty

Train Service Interview

Train Service

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details Go to UP.jobs to apply take a series of online tests. Then go to hiring session. During hiring session wear something nice! Khakis and a button up. Make sure that when you get up at anytime you push in your chair. BIG DEAL for UP. Interview was short and concise. Offered job 3 days after. Did physical abilities test and medical exam. If all goes well you're hired. The training course is difficult after hire. Make sure you do all homework every night and you will be ok!

Interview Question – Who's responsible for safety?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – All union negotiations

Train Crew Interview

Train Crew
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Interview Details Application process went quite quickly. I applied online. I think the next day I took the reading comprehension test. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to attend an interview session that was scheduled about 2-3 weeks away.

I attended the interview session and had my interview. The HR person said that we would know by the end of the night if we were offered the job or not. I thought the interview went very well. Answered the questions correctly. It was a very nice, calm atmosphere that even included some light humor. I really don't understand why I didn't get the job quite honestly, but I do understand that everything happens for a reason.

I will say that they need some work on their online site. I was confused as to whether I got an offer or not because my status online didn't change, but my application did not go to "No longer considered" either.

Interview Question – How can you fulfill the duties of this position?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Train Crewman Interview

Train Crewman

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details Verry difficult to get hired if its something you really want be very presistant if you don't know someone who works for union pacific talk to someone out working
All jobs are online at up.com ( only apply at a place where you live or want to live there is no well ill get on at one place and the go where I really want to go they DO NOT have system wide senoraty you are where you are hired like it or quite )

Interview Question – Not sure the prossess has changed since I was hired as to the type of people they hire   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation union agreement

Train Crew Interview

Train Crew
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Interview Details Hiring Manager and HR person run 2-3 hour information session. Take notes they will ask you follow up questions. Be sure to dress professionally(slacks, button up long sleeved shirt and tie. Bring two forms of ID and pen and paper. Print the application from the website you submitted.

You get a 10 minute break during the doom and gloom speech to call your family. Interviews are scheduled throughout the day. if you're luck you get to go first. interview lasts 10-15 minutes tops.

4 week training pay is $400 a week. After that you're more like 42k. After you pass conductors training you make more like 52k a year. Overtime is expected. They do really lay it on that you can and probably will be forced to work a different location than you signed up for until you get seniority. I applied for St. Paul and they said we'll probably get duluth, eau claire or marshfield. basically when you're new they can give you the poop end of every stick. You're good after 5 years, seniority, set schedule, vested in pension. They will pay you a lot of money for the crap you have to put up with. If you don't have a degree be so grateful there are jobs like this out there for you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for UP? Have you worked shift work? Have you worked outside? Are you willing to relocate? Is your family on board with your decision to make this sacrifice?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. I haven't been Denied or Accepted yet. Should hear back today or tomorrow.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Operations Management Trainee
Roseville, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in early March and before the month was out I received a call that said I was invited to a hiring session. My online status also changed.

In early April, I attended a hiring session with about six other candidates ranging from ages 24 to around 50 years old. The session started with an introduction by one of the two HR reps. She also assigned candidates to various positions in case of an emergency (Call 911, administer CPR, etc.). Next, the HR rep gave a brief overview of Union Pacific's history and coverage area. She also covered some of the demands Union Pacific will place its employees. This was more of a scare tactic used to test the dedication candidates.

After the opening, the HR rep went over the tests that were to be issued. These tests were comprised of an un-timed personality test with about 200 questions, another test that measured decision making—also not timed—and another times test that basically gave select information and candidates were asked to draw out an answer based of the info provided. It seemed more like a quick management decision test. This part consisted of graphs and charts. This was obviously the most challenging but it's pass or fail, not to tough. There was one more test that was timed, two minutes at most. The majority of candidates don't finish this test so don't worry.

Throughout the testing process, other that with the timed portions, candidates were called for interviews with the HR reps. The interview consisted of basic management questions like "Tell me about a time when...and how did you handle it?" This was conducted one-on-one and it took place in a small office.

After the interview concluded, it took about a week to get the pass or fail test results back. However, I was not offered a second interview at his point. My status changed online and said, "Congratulations, you passed the Union Pacific Operations Management Test." About another week after that I received and email that said I was granted another interview. This email said the interview would be conducted by a panel and it listed members who would be attending. This list was comprised of various levels of directors and superintends.

The second round included 28 candidates who drove or flew in (payed for by UP) to interview for seven slots. After everyone signed in the HR rep took the list and assigned interview times slots.

Although the email made it seem as if candidates would be sitting in a room in front of 10 panel members, the members were actually split up into three groups and conducted separate panel interviews, which made the process go faster. This interview covered some of the same questions as the first interview. However, there was more of an informal "Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit."

Because it seemed like the competition was pretty tough, I used this as an opportunity to let my personality shine. Taking a business-casual approach really lightened the mood and the interview went very smooth. The interview lasted about 45 minutes but because the panel members were so likable it seemed to fly by. It didn't even seem like a job interview at times.

Upon completion of the interview all candidates were released. The HR rep said it would take about a week to hear back from UP.

The interview was on a Tuesday and I believe the next Thursday I received a call from the HR rep who said the company was extending a job offer, continent upon passing background and medical. I accepted the offer and had to fill out a few online pre-employment forms. After I finished another email was sent and my online status changed. I was required to make a health screening appointment.

I'm still waiting on a waiver for visions from my optometrist, but other than that the screen has been approved. As far as background goes, I've been contacted via email by an investigator because he wanted a copy of my DD214. It's a few week into the background process and there has been no new information requested but my status won't change until the vision waiver is completed. All-and-all it's been a long process but should be well worth it.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here and why should UP hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, simply and offer with salary.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2014.

Interview Details The interviewer was not very organized and the interview itself did not have a format like most companies have. I was essentially a description of the job and asked me if I had any questions. The interview was quick but it was mainly me asking questions to keep the interview going. After the interview was done, the interviewer was very hard to get in touch with and did not do what he said he was going to do. We scheduled meeting days and the interviewer would not show up and would not answer emails or phone calls. Overall a disappointing experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Union Pacific? Will you be willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Railroad Conductor
West Colton, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2010.

Interview Details you have take a test the a phsescly then an interve the brakmen train then conductor train class room and filed training that takes 17 weeks.thenyou make up and you are never hom

Interview Question – know when to plug the train   Answer Question

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Operations Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interview Details Interviewed in April 2014. Only one HR person from UP was present. She spoke for around an hour about UP and saying the job was hard, hours were long, etc. Presented a training schedule (almost a year) with travel to various UP facilities during the training cycle. Test was a general "see if your brain is connected" exam. Lasted around 3-4 hours for testing. After the written test there was a one-on-one interview. Interview seemed almost too informal. There were only seven people testing so most of us were out of there by mid-day. The HR rep said they were testing for eight slots in their training class for the entire "West" region of UP. Around one week later, I received a text from the HR person letting me know I passed the test. However, I later discovered I was not selected for a second interview. I discovered this when logging into my UP jobs page. In retrospect, I probably would have turned down a second interview based on their described work hours. A 5-12 hour schedule working days or nights, lot's of travel involved. Probably not for the family-minded individual.

Interview Question – I can't remember the specifics of the questions, but the majority revolve around safety, how you address safety issues, etc.   Answer Question

Transportation Operations Manager Trainee Interview

Transportation Operations Manager Trainee
San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details Applied on line and was offered initial interview within a couple of weeks. Interview session consisted of overview of Transportation Manager training pipeline and career path, and several management tests. There were about 8 people there, some UP employees, some external applicants. Strong emphasis on moving frequently for the benefit of the company and your career. Tests were more difficult than I expected. (They said they were moving the testing online soon.) One-on-one interview was 20-30 minutes, consisted of standard, off the shelf questions (describe a time when you managed safety critical operations, describe how you managed cross-functional teams, etc...).

Interview Question – Will you be able to work side-by-side with management trainee peers who are recent college grads? (   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Omaha, NE (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details Applied through collage

Interview Question – Describe a time when used a safety   Answer Question

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!