Union Pacific

Updated 13 Jan 2015
Updated 13 Jan 2015

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

It had two rounds and all of the technical. I have applied through a another company.

This is should be job for a senior people. You will waste most of the time in meetings and other stuffs. Your actual coding time is very less. If you want to learn new things this not the place.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific in December 2014.

Applied online. Contacted via email to take a reading comprehension test a few days after applying. I was contacted a couple weeks later notifying that I had been invited to a hiring session. I had a choice of possible dates for which hiring session I wanted to attend (though, all sessions fell within the same week). The day after the hiring session I was notified by phone and email that I had been offered the position.

*Prior to attending the hiring session, I had applied for a handful of Train Crew positions in a variety of locations. I was also invited and declined invitation to a couple other hiring sessions previous to the one which I did attend. Don't feel as though if you decline an invitation to a hiring session you will not be considered to other positions. However, keep in mind UP doesn't have system wide seniority, instead they are broken into service units which you cannot transfer from one region to another, so only apply for positions in areas you are willing to work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw a coworker breaking the rules?   Answer Question

Not willing to commit to being on-call 24/7/365!

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Platte, NE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Platte, NE (US)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Union Pacific.

This job had 9 positions available in this area, and starting pay was $29 hour. But they had many positions across all their territories. The interview took place at a local community college, where the RR also teaches courses to get you up to speed on locomotives etc.. Turns out I was the only one who dressed up. I wore slacks, coat, tie and dress shoes. Also the only one who bothered to groom their face. Everybody else wore casual or work clothes. They had a doom and gloom speech from the local heads of the departments, and the SR hiring recruiter. For my department it was said I would be working for 8 years before I had any seniority and most likely would be working midnight to 8am (for 8 years). They showed a short, grainy, corny, video from company brown nosers likely made in the 80's. They answered all questions, then had roll call, as this an invitation only presentation. Then assigned interview times for the next 5 hours.

Previous to this interview day I had to take a skills battery test which was a complete joke, it was proctored by prometric, where they patted you down, made you empty your pockets, and wanded you with a metal detector, to make sure you wouldn't cheat on the timed exams. In total it was 3 1/2 hours.

Interview was by the Sr. Recruiter, the head of the local union and the union head of my department. All the other questions I seemed to click with the interviewers. Interview lasted about 10 minutes. About 4 hours later I got an automated response for a job offer. I then had to complete an online health questionnaire... Needless to say I spent the next 3 weeks haggling with them with their requests. Based on their health questionnaire and my responses they wanted all and any of my possible medical records, from every aspect. I begrudgingly accepted to do that except from one area of my medical records. The nurses that run this part of the medical application process said they would take a minimum of these records for the time being, but when I dug deeper, they said they would likely ask for all of it later on anyway. I just could not release this information to them, it was none of their business. So thats where I ended the job offer and new hire orientation process. During those 3 weeks, I did complete the job physical and audio gram, and urinalysis.
    They also wanted me to do a physical fitness test that kind of simulated my job in a gym setting. But the company they contracted with (LHI) only had 2-3 testing facilities, and it was a 900 mile plus drive one way for me to get there. I flat out refused.

I'm pretty sure it is against the law for them to request my medical records, beings that I requested no formal assistance for any disabilities.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question asked, was to name a time when I failed. I almost put my foot in my mouth, but recovered.   Answer Question

Read the description. They wanted my mental health records, based on a health questionnaire I had to take post job offer, where I answered yes that I had been treated at some point in my life for depression.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied though school and was chosen, went to interview, asked situational questions. After days of waiting for respond back, never heard back from them. When I later spoke with the college, they had no idea what UP had decided.

Train Crewman Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in December 2014.

Applied online. Was notified to take a reading comprehension test online, and when it was completed it, received immediate notification I had passed. About two weeks later, was invited to a Hiring Session.

Arrived 45 minutes early, and wasn't the first one, and the girl from HR was already setting up. There were 18 guys there. Most, like me, wore a dress shirt and pants, and a tie.

Lots of information about the company, then the job. The Hiring Manager came and talked more about the job, unusual schedule, odd hours, etc. Everyone was then given a chance to go out and contact spouse, significant other, etc., regarding whether to go on with the process.

Interviews were scheduled which let you know how long your had before yours.

Mine lasted about 15 minutes and most of the questions were already mentioned on this website. Safety is the BIG thing!! Hence the question, "Who is responsible for safety?"

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2014.

Was flown out to Omaha, Nebraska to interview with multiple mangers in charge of different operations, such as cars and locomotives. The interviewing process varied with the person conducting the interview. For my first interview, I was not asked any questions regarding my resume. Instead I was simply asked if I had any questions regarding Union Pacific. Definitely threw me off as I was anticipating the typical dialog accompanying resume, experiences, etc. The second interview was much more structured, following a typical interview process of answering questions such as "Name an experience where you had organize a group.", etc. The process did not seem much like an interviewing position, instead it felt much more like a courting experience for both me and the employeers.

OMT INTERVIEW for TRANSPORTATION Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2014.

Had to take a test online- followed by an invitation to a hiring session- if the initial interview is passed invited to face to face in the region that you select.

Train Crew Interview

Safety checklist first, then a short company video before an information session. 1 HR manager and an Engineer -> Manager for UP attended. Make sure you know the job - the lifestyle of Train Crew - before you go. Dress professionally and ready for an interview, but also look like you're ready to work on the line. You'll be dismissed to a waiting area and then they'll call you back for your individual interviews (by last name... be prepared to wait). Safety, Safety, SAFETY. Experience really doesn't matter, safety is above all. Can you be safe? Good. Do you like being safe? Good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about heavy equipment you've used in the past.   Answer Question

Lifestyle

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

I had 2 interviews, one by phone and one on-site. Phone interview was almost purely behavioral. On-site interview started with some easy questions like "What is a garbage collector?" "Describe how you can still have memory leaks with a garbage collector." etc. It got a little harder, some data structures stuff, but it was not super hard if you studied the basics of data structures/sorting algorithms. They contacted me by email with an offer, I asked for an extension and they gave it to me.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting singly linked lists, creating min/max heaps from sorted arrays, etc. At this company I honestly think the behavioral part may have been more important.   View Answer
    I felt the offer was good and didn't really try to negotiate much, I got the signing bonus raised a little though.

Computer Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Found them at my college and interviewed with them on campus the following day. They asked me some simple questions and tried to get a feel for what I am after in my position. Seemed like good people to work for and the guy interviewing me looked to be the supervisor on site as well. 3 panel sitting across from me.