University of Alberta Interview Questions

Updated 8 Mar 2015

2.6

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online and showed the english ability. I think this university really focuses on GPA. If your gpa is high, everything is fine. You can get the offer very quickly.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I was interviewed by the professor, asking about my academic experiences and my interest area. I sent him my references and transcript of my bachelor. We talked through email and he gave me a skype interview about 20-30 minutes. Then I waited for the department to give me the offer.

Interview Questions

• I think it should be my understanding of his research area.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

emailed one of the prof in my department, got an email back and schedule for a meeting. Then gave him my transcript and discussed about project details. After that I got the position but need to write application for funding support. I got the funding anyway from the faculty so its all good

Project Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with business office and direct manager. Additional in-person interview with senior management/director. Interviews were relatively formal in nature and lasted approx. 30 minutes each. The job offer was made and was given few days to accept the position. Overall from interviews to starting position took ~20 days.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your process for starting clinical trials from beginning to end phases.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much leeway for negotiations

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

I do not have any information about hiring.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

Initially communicated with a professor whose work I was very interested in.
    He ended up finding me a position using some of the budget money to work as a researcher and programmer for one of his research groups.
    The interview was one on-site interview where I was asked a few technical questions in a room with the professor and two senior developers for a similar research group.
    I was offered the job right after.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not particularly difficult, the interviewers were focused on the problem solving process predominantly.   Answer Question

Bio Statistician Interview

Interview

They will give you an interview very soon. Most quesions are about the behaviour quesions. For the technique quesions, they just focus on the projects they did.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

The only interview experience I have is with the current graduate supervisor. Really the interview was just a feel for the supervisor to see if I would be a good fit with his team.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position, and was contacted a few days later for an interview the following week. The interview consisted of a panel, and then half an hour to complete a mock email to a prospective student. After the interview, I was phoned the next day and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all easy and straightforward behavioral interview questions. The mock email was based on a fairly straightforward question about admission to the Faculty of Arts. The information was easily found in the provided University calendar, although the interviewer said that the tone of the email would be most important.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

Some professors and research groups maintain positions for research assistants and will recruit them from the general student population, but this is atypical. Most positions are created for specific candidates. The best strategy is to attend as an undergraduate student, get good grades, have good ideas, and talk to professors about opportunities.