University of Minnesota

67 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Interview Details I was contacted by them via e-mail asking to apply, I did so and was accepted.

Interview Question – None, no interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Radiologic Technologist Interview

Interviewed at University of Minnesota

Interview Details Hiring process was quick and easy. Be sure to show up on time, but not too early (10 minutes prior). Be prepared for any question asked, and in return be ready to ask a few of your own questions. Be engaged in the interview, show your interest in the company. Most importantly be yourself!

Interview Question – Explain a time when you and a co-worker had a disagreement. How did it end?   View Answer

Community Program Specialist/Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details It was a quick and easy interview. Met with my direct supervisor/boss and it was a great way to get to know/feel what to expect from the company.

Interview Question – How comfortable are you using interpreters to obtain research data from patients/subjecst?   Answer Question

Administrative Professional Interview

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

Interview Details I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions

• It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   View Answer
  • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better.

You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at ....

You won't know until you ask

Figure out your BATNA

Very Easy Interview

Instructor, College of Science and Engineering Interview

Duluth, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details I was already familiar with the faculty and was offered the job without an official interview.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no real negotiation. The union negotiates your salary and raise.

Community Advisor Interview

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2010.

Interview Details Asks a lot of questions about diversity and acceptance. Also asks about times when you've worked through difficult situations and your method for building community.

Interview Question – The most difficult was talking about how diversity impacts the community and how you would handle a situation where students weren't open to accepting others.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Assistant Scientist
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Interview Details I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

OA Interview

Interviewed at University of Minnesota

Interview Details University Student Job Posting

Interview Question – Experience with diversity.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Research Assistant
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in June 2010.

Interview Details Spoke with a professor whom had interesting research and became employed in their lab after asking

Interview Question – Does not really apply, I had no formal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Find someone you like who is well respected and does work interesting to you

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

Interview Details I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Question – None really, the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Minnesota

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Minnesota interview questions and advice. All 67 interview reviews are posted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees and interview candidates.