University of Waterloo Interview Questions

Updated 3 Jan 2015

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

Well, for a postdoc position, I got a chance to come to Waterloo, just for an interview. The interview included a talk about my research as well as one-on-one meeting with every member in the research group. It took almost a whole day, but it was not so tough.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly about my research, so I did not find one of them much more challenging than others to answer.   Answer Question

Website Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview

Phone Interview, and the phone call lasted for 30 minutes.

I declined the offer as it does not fit in my career goal. The reason of applying this position is solely practice my interview skills, but website development is not what I am looking for as I am not a very good programmer. In addition, the pay does not cover all of the expenses in Waterloo as a student.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why do you like to work at the university?   1 Answer

PhD Researcher Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview

The selection was based on committee decision, past achievements in the field, GRE general and GRE subject scores as well as TOEFL scores. The results were announced within approximately four months of the application. After the acceptance, I took around 4-5 months to start my PhD program

Residence Life Don Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview

Apply to their website and receive a response a week after the submission deadline.

Interview Questions

• Just be positive and show that you love helping people. Also come up with ideas for future events you would like to hold.   Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

It was very casual. There was a panel which interviewed me. Supervisor is very friendly and I felt appreciated for the works that I've brought in to show them. They didn't do anything in particular for me but I felt immediately comfortable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations because we are mutually satisfied

Co-op Alumni Advancement Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

One half hour interview in-person with supervisor, followed by a 10 minute Excel proficiency test.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Just need to make sure you know the professor well, there is no interview needed. However you need a good academic record.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work as a grad student.   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

just basic questions and my personal preference

Special Projects Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview

Through jobmine, the process was fairly easy where the interview time, location and everything was set through the system. The interview process was simple where the supervisor would ask the standard questions, what made you apply, what you are looking for from the experience, etc. Be fully prepared and everything will go smoothly

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

It was simple and straight forward. They told me straight away what the project is and what skills they are looking for. And asking me what can i do for them.

Interview Questions

• Explain the extent of my knowledge for specific coding language.   Answer Question