Urban Outfitters Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
396 interviews

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
    Some questions they asked were
    -Why do you want to work for Urban?
    -What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
    -How do you deal with customers?
    -What was your experience before at your previous job?
    -If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
    After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

I applied online through their site after seeing an ad somewhere that they were hiring for their Queen St. location. The application was pretty detailed in itself it asked about my personal style, where I get my fashion inspiration from, who are my style icons, etc. And some basic job related questions like why do I wanna work at UO.

About a month or so later I got an email saying I've been invited for a group interview session at one of the few dates and I could come whenever I wanted. They asked us to dress as if we were going to work (at UO so I wore a skater skirt, cropped top and a denim shirt. The turnout was incredible and a lot of people showed up and we were led upstairs tot he second floor of the store and were told to line up while they continued with the other groups.
    They gathered about like 10-12 people at a small table with one hiring manager person and we were all told to tell everyone something about ourselves. Afterwards he asked two questions directed at everyone, which was really weird because the questions were really weird. One was about loss prevention and how you' deal with a customer who might be stealing something and there's really only one right answer to this; to approach the customer and ask if you can help them with something, or tell security or w.e so if you didn't speak up first you couldn't really add much. The second question was the most absurd like 'if you were to emulate the work ethic of an artist on stage, who would you choose?'

He said they'd be calling us in a week to let us know if we got the job.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to emulate the work ethic of an artist on stage who would you choose?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Applied online because a new location in 34th street was opening. Got a email back a couple days later about a group interview. Went to the interview my group was the last one of the day, it was group interview it was like 6 of us and the stock manager. He asked us all about ourselves, what we liked to do, what school we go to, our previous work experience. He also asked us which department would we see ourselves in and why urban outfiitters and why should he hire us. Pretty easy questions we were all pretty chill and it felt more like a conversation then a interview. Waited a couple weeks, didn't hear back for a while. Then randomly got a phone call from the general manager, she offered me $ 10 an hour. I accepted and they told me i would be getting a email about orientation and i started a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Why us out of everyone getting interviewed.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Augusta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I have a friend who works in the call center and put in a good word for me with the hiring manager. She sent me a link to fill out an online application and a few days later I received an email with a date to come in for an interview.
    The actual job fair interview process was a little different than what I am used to. They told us to come any time between 9 and 12, but on a first come first served basis. I showed up a few minutes before 9 and there were about five other people waiting. They called us back one by one and interviewed us for about ten minutes.
    I received an email about a week later notifying me of my hire and further instructions (reading employee policies, filling out W-4, etc.). I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself."
      Why this was a difficult question: It's the icebreaker question at every interview. I have been in countless job interviews and this one still manages to throw me for a loop.
        View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

I applied online and received an email inviting me to a group interview. It was relaxed and they ask typical job interview questions, and personal style questions. I received a call back interview and came back for a one on one interview with basically the same questions. It was pretty laid back and they didn't seem too concerned with experience.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how you would deal with a customer who you caught stealing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2013.

The interview was a group interview. I wasn't called for it, it was a general email just stating the details of the interview. The questions were general, mostly related to the position

Interview Questions
    • If you see someone stealing how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online to four store locations. Three of the four stores never got back to me even after weeks of attempted phone calls I've made inquiring if the position was taken, they repeatedly told me it was still open, but it is taking them a while to get through applications. I never heard back from any of the three stores. The fourth store, and the second one I applied to, responded to my application within two weeks and scheduled an interview for a week from when they called me. I attended the interview and then another two weeks passed by until they contacted me again for a second interview. After the second interview I didn't get a response for nearly three weeks. I received an E-mail with instructions to setting up my W-2's and other miscellaneous information, aka I was hired.
    The only annoying thing about this company is how slow they are with hiring people. I applied at the beginning of June and didn't officially start until the beginning of august.

Questions at the interview:

A lot of the questions were behavioral

1)describe a time when you thought you provided outstanding customer service, how did you go the extra mile?

2)describe a time where you had to work together with other people?

3)describe a time where you had to work in a group and you did not get along with other member of the group? How did you handle the situation?

4)What or whom is your fashion inspiration?

5)Why Urban Outfitters?

6)Where do you see yourself in five years?

7)How would you handle an angry customer?

Interview Questions
    • I was given one minute to sketch something on a piece of paper that described who I was   View Answer
    No negotiation, I didn't even find out what my hourly wage was until my second day of work.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!