Urban Outfitters

Average Difficulty
286 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details The process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and got an email inviting be to their open interview, so I went. I didn't even know there was an open interview for anyone at all, even if they were just shopping and saw the poster so there were probably over 200 people. Everybody lined up and there were 4 interviewers. The interview was 1 on 1 - a sales associate would tell us which of the 4 interviewers to go to when it was your turn. I was very lucky because the guy that ended up interviewing me was actually the manager who read my application. Interview was fairly easy - mostly about what you like to do and personality questions.
The next day i got an email asking me to do the video interview from Hirevue. The interview was pretty easy as well, even though i was super awkward talking to myself in front of a camera and i felt that I wouldn't make it through to the next step, but sure enough i did!
After the weekend I got an email asking me to complete the ethics quiz / opinion survey. The questions were mostly straight forward but some of the questions threw me off and were tricky. You need to take your time to read carefully. Since i got an email back a day after for all the other times, I was sure i failed this survey since i didn't get anything, but 2 days later at night, I received an email inviting me to a 2nd interview.
So i went, and was super nervous because I knew if I messed up here i'd be screwed. And yes, i messed up pretty bad because when telling the manager about myself I accidentally told him I had no talents... oops. But he was very nice about it, and carried on a conversation about how we all find our talents sooner or later and asked me about my hobbies, basically helping me find my talent. Overall, I think there were 3 questions because we spent most of the time making conversation about music, school, life, etc. The questions were more serious than the first though, as it asked about what you know about the job and such.

So, after that mistake i made and being super awkward at my 2nd interview I was sure i didn't get the job.. There were around 10 others at the 2nd interview. But today I get a call from the manager offering me a job and excited doesn't being to describe my feelings right now! I don't even have any retail experience! (And in Canada they hire at any age, not 18 like the other posts say, although I'm sure it'd be better to be over 16.)

Interview Question – If money wasn't an issue, what kind of party would you throw?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on the URBN website and a few days later I received a link through my email to do an online ethics survey that asked questions about how I felt about stealing or coming into work under the influence. A few days after that I was asked to do a video interview. I did not do the interview because I was out of town but they emailed me about it again and so I decided to do it. I downloaded the Hirevu app on my iphone and I was able to do it anywhere at anytime. They asked four questions and with each question I received about 3 minutes to 30 seconds to prepare and then I was time recorded to answer each question. The first question they asked me to draw a doodle of myself and to explain it, a time I was disappointed by someone and what I did about it, and one thing I could not live without .There were no options to watch my video or to edit anything, so every second counts! After I submitted my video the very next day they asked me to email them back if I wanted to come in three days later for a group interview and they asked me to dress casual and how I would if I worked for them. I decided to wear a racerback tank, shorts, and gladiator sandals.I went to the interview and two managers took two other interviewees and myself to a cafe downstairs to conduct the interview. The managers were very open and laid back, the man wore a fitted cap backwards with a big black tshirt, black jeans, and tennis shoes, and the female wore a casual top that was backless with a black skirt and sandals. They asked us to introduce ourselves and tell them something that they wouldn't know just by looking at us, why we wanted to work at Urban Outfitters, what set us apart from other candidates, and if we knew about loss prevention (I never worked retail before but they had no problem explaining it to me and asking what it meant to me and ways I would prevent it). The interview took about 20 minutes and afterwards the other candidates and I went back into the store to sign forms for a background check.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and explain it   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2012.

Interview Details Must be brand. Must say what you love so much about the company. Random questions like taste in music and describe funniest moment is important. Must be down to earth and chill.Normally a group interview first then a one on one interview after.

Interview Question – All pretty easy questions during the interview. The survey afterthought hr interview was unexpected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Question – If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Question – There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and about an hour later I received an e-mail with a link to a survey, which took about 20 minutes to complete (they are looking for honesty). The same night an hour after completing the survey, I received the link to the online interview on Hirevue which was kind of strange. The following evening I got an e-mail from the store I had applied to with an invitation to a group interview within two days which was on a Tuesday . I went to the interview bright and early, there were so many people there for an interview I was kind of intimidated, but never let that show. I wore what I would normally wear and most importantly I was my quirky, weird self (btw there were about 8 of us in this group). At the end of the interview the manger told us that he would be giving us a call no later than that Friday evening. I received his phone call Thursdays with job offer.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
Basically things that represent yourself, could be anything from the music you listen to, to for fashion sense.
  Answer Question

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details This interview process was totally different. It was all done online! In the resume I described my work and education, so in this video interview I was asked more personal questions about myself and about my style. I was sent several emails after applying online. After that, I recorded my answers, which were timed,using HireVue. After that, I took a survey and I am not waiting for a call or email back from the company. The interview done in this fashion was an easy way to screen possible employes, and it was done on my own time.

Interview Question – There was a question that asked what my most valuable possession was, and i only had about 30 seconds to prepare for that answer!   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied online, and about 2 months later, I got an email asking me to complete an online survey. A few days after the survey, I got another email asking me to confirm a date for a group interview. I confirmed a date, and was finally able to speak to a human being in person. I interviewed with 5 other people at a table, but there were other groups scattered around us. We were interviewed by a department manager and then then some of us were asked to stay behind to interview with the actual store manager (this was done very discreetly, of course). That happened and life went on. Got a call the next day, they offered me the job, I accepted, and they asked if I can come in to fill out paperwork. People that come into our Urban looking for an application are always referred to the online process.

Interview Question – Favorite coffee spot?   View Answer

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!