Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

Vanguard Accelerated Development Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

After applying I was notified within a week that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. It was a brief phone interview- STAR format. Then I was invited in person for a day long interview at headquarters in PA. Two individual interviews with employees, lunch with management. Overall good experience

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

It was pretty standard for a finance interview. I started with a phone screening, then went into Scottsdale for a face to face. I met with two individual interviewers. Process was actually enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were asked to show leadership.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview describing what you know about Vanguard. You will be asked to point out key scenarios from previous employment. KNOW BASIC MUTUAL FUND TERMINOLOGY. Do not stutter on the phone. Know what you are talking about. Prepare for the phone interview as if it were the biggest day of your life.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview, very structured. It felt as if i was talking to a computer across the phone. I think they picked up on the lack of interest and did not offer me the job anyways. Formulaic questions, did not feel like I was actually having a conversation, more like filling out text boxes with someone on the other end of the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your self in the future. Difference between a stock and a bond and ETF. Nailed those...and then an example of a time when you had a difficult situation and how you responded.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter on a Friday to set up a time for a phone interview. We had agreed to set up the interview for the Tuesday afternoon. The recruiter was extremely nice and easy to talk to. We had spoke on the phone for about an hour going over basic behavioral questions and why I wanted to work about Vanguard. Once she was finished with her questions for me she had asked if I had any for her. I had asked about the opportunities at Vanguard and how they would help me advance and move throughout my career. She had launched into a lengthy but highly informative speech about all of the opportunities, departments and resources that Vanguard had to offer to its employees, or crew members as they call them. I wasn't sold on the company before that, I was after that speech. She had then invited me into the office at Malvern for an in-person interview that Friday afternoon.

The interview process at the Malvern office was a four hour long process. The first hour was bringing myself and three other candidates into a room and giving us a presentation about how the company was set up, how they conduct business, all of the different departments there are and so on. The next two hours were the actual interview. The interviews took place in the Galley, or the cafeteria, which I felt was a nice touch and helped us relax so that the interview could flow more like a conversation and less like an interview. The first part of the interview was asking basic behavioral type of questions as well as questions pertaining to current events in the finance world. I would suggest doing a little reading on the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg so that you are not blindsided by this. Once that was over they gave you a 5-10 minute break to use the restroom or regroup and then there was a case study. The first part of the case study was giving you a summary of a customer with a problem and discussion questions on the back that you are going to go over with the interviewer after reading over the information for about 10 minutes. This part is meant to get a better understanding on how you would deal with a customer who was having basic customer service problems. Be empathetic!! They are all about serving the customer first and foremost!! The second part they gave you financial information where you are supposed to advise the customer on how they are supposed to handle their accounts. Just have a basic knowledge of finance information and make sure when you are advising the customer (interviewer) that you are showing that they come first. After those interviews were over they brought us back into the room we were first in an gave us another presentation on benefits packages and basically all of the perks of working at Vanguard, which are A LOT!!

I must have done really well on the interview because by Monday morning they had called me and offered me the job. I said I needed a day to review the offer letter materials but I already knew that I was going to accept because Vanguard is an extremely great company to work for and I am looking forward to starting.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you typically find news pertaining to the finance industry?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an article that you read recently that pertains to finance that you found interesting and how would that affect business for Vanguard?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

I connected with a recruiter during Vanguard's recruitment webinar. I was scheduled for a phone interview and then I was flown out to Arizona for the second interview. The interview process is four hours long and consisted of a STAR based interview followed by a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy. The role play was a little difficult. You had to extract information from the interviewer to determine the best possible solution for the client. The company is very client oriented so be sure to show concern.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the offer or you didn't.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some basic terms like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. Everyone involved was amicable and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   View Answer

VADP Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Simple phone interview that lasted one half hour. Invited on campus after 2 weeks for a day of tours, speakers with past participants and leaders, and 2 1-1 interviews. Basic questions were asked for the most part, some technical questions. No offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what causes inflation. Why should I recommend hiring you?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Got an email from one of the recruiters asking if I was interested in the position. Called me the following week for a phone interview. Interview lasted about 25 min, they had me explain my previous work experiences and in detail some of the duties I had to perform. They also asked about other activities I'm involved in at school.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to build a relationship with a customer? Where do you find news pertaining to the financial industry?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

I got an on campus interview through one of our career fairs. The first round interview was about 45 minutes long and contained a few behavioral questions. Like, "Give me a time when you had to get others to follow you, and how did they react?" I did well enough they had me fly out to Scottsdale, AZ for the second round. Obviously this one was a bit more intense. The first interviewer went over some questions about your resume as well as more behavior questions. The second interviewer went through a case with you, regarding a problem with a current client. It's definitely a bit different having to grasp all the information within a time requirement, and making a key decision for the customer. But definitely relates to the job requirement.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you saw an act of cheating/rule breaking occur and what did you do about it?   Answer Question