Vanguard

344 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Client Relationship Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2010.

Interview Details Apply online within few days HR phone calls to set up future phone interview. HR phone interview few days later, HR will invite you in for an in person interview within a week or so, they will let you know if you got the job.

Negotiation Details – none

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Several hour long interview. Require you to cite experiences in which you went the extra mile and thought outside the box if you want to get hired. Customer service experience is a big plus.

Interview Question – A case study regarding an angry high net worth customer. Requires you to think critically and not just say what you think they want to hear (because it's probably not what they actually wanted to hear anyway).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate for an entry level position at a world class mutual fund institution. Just getting in and getting my Series 7 passed was enough for me to take the job. The experience for your resume is invaluable, and although the salary+bonuses are modest (40-50k), the benefits are awesome. Incredible retirement plan, Medical-Dental-Optical for $62 a month. They pay 88% of insurance costs.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details Be ready for two real interviews once you get to Scottsdale. One is behavioral questions and the other is a scenario role play. The behavioral is relatively easy to study for but the scenario is different cause you can't study for it. Review the role play well, be very helpful and personable, and be confident. When in the intro and concluding meetings as a group be sure to make your presence known by asking a lot of intelligent questions while not sounding too annoying.

Interview Question – How did you deal with an unhappy client or customer in the past?   View Answer

Resolution Services Associate Interview

Resolution Services Associate

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details Online application, phone interview with HR contact, 4 or so behavioral questions - looking for the STAR format answers. In person interview with hiring managers. Met with 2 managers at the same time, as they followed a very precise list of questions from a 6 page form and wrote down everything I said. End of interview was case study - 20 min for me to read and prepare. Case study required answering multiple questions on how I would handle the situation.

Interview Question – Describe a time in your recent work experience when you overcame an obstacle and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Client Relationship Specialist
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Question – Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Fund Financial Associate
Malvern, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details They are driving to drive 5 skills out of you - Time Management, Teamwork, Initiative, Communication and (I forget). You must be able to demonstrate these skills through STAR based questions. the interviews are 2-1 but the interviewers are friendly and down to earth. They are workers in the department, not interviewing professionals.

Interview Question – STAR based format. They will ask you question trying to get the skills above out of you. They will want specifics. I was asked "When working on a project, name a time a group member was troublesome and how did you handle it?" < This question was asked so that the employees could determine whether you had good "Teamwork" skills.   View Answer

Client Service Specialist Interview

Client Service Specialist
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details Vanguard uses the STAR system for interviews. STAR is: Situation/Task: Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event. Action: Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did. Results: What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn? Be sure to have results be reflective and robust. A lot of interviewers say that people get to S-T-A and then just a short result. Make result have an impact.

Interview Question – Every difficult questions must be spun in a positive way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was there one?

Brokerage Associate Interview

Brokerage Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Initially a telephone interview. Next, you were called in to meet with a manger and supervisor. If everything went well you got the job. The onboarding was interesting. You were inundated with the Vanguard mantra through team building exercises. You were pretty much free to leave early if you finished the book assignments they gave you.

Interview Question – Questions were in the star format. Not too complicated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. Either you work for us or not. We do not care. We have over 2000 applicants a day.

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2014.

Interview Details Behavioral based interview. They want STAR answers. Interviews are highly structured by HR and managers may stick to the script. You must interview well to have a chance. It was a multi interview process and I was alerted within 1 week if I advanced to the next interview. No interview exceeded 1 hour.

Interview Question – Name a time you encountered conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details They contacted me by email from some internet job site. First a phone interview then a panel interview with STAR questions. The interviewers were a team leader and a principal, the team leaders boss.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you disagreed with your boss? Explain how you answer a question you do not know the answer to? Where do you get you business news from?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, fixed offer

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!