W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.9

Commercial Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2012.

Filled out application on line. Got a call from recruiter for a brief phone interview. Set-up 1st interview with DSM. STAR interview process. 2nd interview with two local Branch Managers. 3rd interview with another District's DSM.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you state the R in STAR or what was the result! Very standard questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in September 2014.

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. From there we set up a time to discuss the position. A couple of days later I had a phone interview with the same recruiter. About 3 weeks later I had a formal interview with the regional sales manager and the operations manager since it was a new territory.

Interview Questions
    • How I would address a customer that is reluctant to give the company a chance.   Answer Question
    No negotiating, it was straight forward.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)

interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2014.

The first step in the hiring process is a phone interview. At the end, I was asked to move on to the next step and fill out a personality assessment. I'm currently waiting to hear if I've moved on to the subsequent step or not.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you were faced with a problem and had to come up with a solution.   View Answer

Index Editor Interview

You have to interview with 3 different people. Each of them spend a half hour questioning you and then the last one walks you out with the we will call if we have any additional questions. Very formal and stuffy. While they are entirely non-threatening as well as informative they have lost the ability to do anything but scowl.

Go in already knowing what the base rates are and negotiate from there. They actually started low with me until I talked about the industry norms.

Manager of Territory Sales Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Contacted by recruiter. Face to face interview, skype type interview followed with different manager, meeting with both managers on a third occasion. Position offered to a last minute internal candidate. Contacted on a Saturday by a recruiter to meet with a manager for another position on Tuesday. Hiring manager had no idea why he was talking to me. There was no position available. Seems like a great company to work for but very poor follow up.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clearwater, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Got a call from a recruiter (at least that's what I assume she was) to meet at a local Starbucks for an interview. A few days later, I was asked to take the online Challey test. Within a week or so, I went into the local branch for an in person interview with a two panel team. Another week went by and I was asked to interview in person again with different people Final outcome-- no job offer. I've got many years of outside sales experience specifically with the types of clients this position would be working with. The only thing that I can see as a downfall is that I'm not just out of college or under 25. When checking over current employees in this position, you can very clearly see that they are all very young. Do they want someone to mold or influence? Why such a obvious skew toward youth? Seems as though they took me pretty far into the interview process to not seriously consider me. Total time was 4 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • No problems at all. In fact, they knew that I knew the STAR technique so well they didn't have me even try to sell them something.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

You get contacted by the recruiter
    Then they set up a in person interview
    I had a board of 3 people, it was 2 Territory managers from other states, and then my manager
    Then the offer

The whole process was quite lengthy, I applied in June, interviewed in July, hired in August, started in October

Interview Questions
    • Pretty general questions, they ask you specific questions and how you answer them to see if they fit in their acronym for the way they do business.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for a later start date because I was going on a long planned vacation with the family. They accommodated my request and pushed me to a later start date. From there I knew they were a great company.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2014.

Grainger recruiter contacted me about account mgr position. Waited 2 weeks after initial contact with recruiter. Poor follow up on the part of their recruiter. Waste of my time.

Account Manager Interview

Very thorough, many layers, professional, once an offer was made it went quick, training for 2 weeks non-consecutive, very detailed, typicial sales type-drink the cool ade, once done you are out in the field figuring it out

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the unusual, standard interview questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2014.

It took a while for me to get hired and had to call HR, but I stayed persistant because I really wanted to work for this company. Once I recieve to college degree I hope to relocate and advanced with the company into managment

Interview Questions
    • The questions were a liitle challaging but thats good, I had no issue answering the questions.   Answer Question

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!