Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

Whole Body Team Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in June 2014.

Met with the team leader and assistant team leader and the assistant store manager. the conversation was positive and easy almost unaware it was an interview. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jericho, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jericho, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2014.

It took them ages to do the background check, but since the orientation you could feel the good-positive environment of co-workers.

A lot of information to take in, first days of orientation can be a headache if you are not ready for the policy and core values.

Interview Questions
    • if we don't have a product that a customer is looking for what could you do to offer them something similar?   Answer Question

Too much to take in and no support

Specialty Team Leader Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in May 2013.

All leadership interviews, Specialist and higher, are held through a panel interview process. Typically they will consist of a Store Team Leader, and HR representative and a mixture of other employees depending on the position. Each person is expected to ask the candidate a question and may "piggy-back" on previous questions to obtain more information.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you were unsuccessful at a promotion. How did you handle the outcome and what would you do better to make it successful.   View Answer

Customer Service Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Since it was more than two years ago, I don't quite remember the interview process. The questions seemed generic and after being in Customer Service, I realized they just needed people to fill. Customer Service is viewed as an entry job where people then move to different departments.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2014.

It was pretty easy cause it wasnt group interview THANK GOD! ; I was hired on the spot at 57th street , Pay rate a 11 a hour over time 16.50 a hour.

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills , why do you wanna leave best buy.   View Answer
    No they just offer you 11 take it most stores only pay 8 , but trader joes pay 13.

Grocery Team Member Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plantation, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I applied online and completed the basic skills test. I received a call about 5 days later asking me to come in for an interview. Upon arrival, I was asked to wait in the customer lounge. As I am sitting there the first thing I noticed was that most employees were dressed in baggy pants about to fall off and covered in tattoos, including the neck. Most were early 20's. I knew I was DOA because all there were half my age. After waiting 25 minutes, I was interviewed, in the noisy customer lounge, by a team lead. Typical STAR questions were asked. It went well, but all I was thinking is this place is not for me. Then I waited another 25 minutes and was interviewed by a manager. She looked tired and bored throughout the entire process. Again STAR questions asked along with me providing answers to what are the differences between Whole Foods and the competition. Then she asked if I shopped at Whole Foods. I said no because it is expensive. She did not seem to like that answer. It was then I got "thank you, we have other people to interview and will be in touch" line. They seem to be very sensitive, almost hostile to the competition. In the end, my impression of the store environment was unprofessional. If they think of themselves as high-end, they need to act and dress better. It is just a grocery store like all others.

Unknown Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I was selected for a group interview for a new store that would be opening. I was notified by email and was required to respond within a couple of days. I went to the interview which was off site. There were about 40 people in the room. There was one person hosting the interview who worked for whole foods and about 4 or 5 team leaders who would be working for the store sitting in the back watching everyone else. We spent the first hour watching a power point presentation on Whole Foods. I thought this was unnecessary since most people should know they need to research the company before going into an interview. After that, we had to each stand up and introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to work for Whole Foods. Then we were split into groups of about 10 people and had to act out 2 skits. One of them we had to make a commercial to sell a product. The other we had to deal with an upset customer and solve a problem. Then the team leaders who had sat in the back came and asked our group one question which each person in the group answered. The questions were very basic, such as, what department did we apply for. All team members did not get to talk to all groups because we ran out of time. Each time we did a skit or introduced ourselves the host asked us to be brief since they were short on time. I thought the interview was very unrealistic for a grocery store. At no time would someone have to speak in front of a room of people while working at a grocery store unless they were in a supervisory position. I spoke up in every skit and made sure that I was not standing in the corner not saying anything. I came up with a lot of ideas. I don't understand why I did not get a call back. I thought the type of interview they conducted was very nerve racking and did not allow everyone a fair amount of time. No questions were asked about our experience or qualifications. I have 7 years experience at a similar company and I have moved all the way up from cashier to department head. They did not even tell us what positions were left or what they were considering us for. We seemed to be grouped alphabetically by our first name. I was told the interview was required to be considered for employment, but later on a number of people at my job got hired who did not have interviews. They were calling people who didn't even have an interview and offering them jobs over the phone! We were told everyone would know if they got hired or not by the end of the week, but over 2 weeks later they were still calling people and offering jobs. Overall I thought it was very unfair and a complete waste of time.

Grocery Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I sent in my application and got a call back in about 10 days.
    The team leader asked me to come in for an interview on Monday (three days away) after she asked me a few simple questions over the phone.
    When I arrived on Monday morning I went to the customer service desk and told them I was there for an interview, they told me to go ahead and sit at 'The Porch' and she would see me shortly. About 10 minutes after that she arrived and we started the interview with a casual convo , questions like 'How's your day going?', 'Its hot out there today isn't it?", etc. She then told me how she has received numerous applications regarding this position and got to the point that she would only look at applications that were COMPLETLEY filled out and she thanked me for doing so. She then started just confirming things I had stated on my application questions like my name, have I worked for Whole foods before, where do I work now, simple questions like that. The rest of the interview questions were fairly easy, I was asked questions like 'What's your biggest strength?", "Weakness?", "What makes you want to work for whole foods?", "Why are you considering leaving your current job?", "Have you ever received any promotions at your past jobs?", "What was a time where you really made a customers day?" To which I answered as honestly and professionally as possible. She seemed rather happy with my answers so she called one of the Assistant Store Leaders to come interview me as well.
     (Before she left she told me she had a few more interviews that day and tomorrow and that I would hear from her around Wednesday or Thursday. )
    When the Assistant Store Leader came he was very laid back , friendly and asked the same questions but in a slightly different way, for instance , rather than saying 'Why do you want to work for Whole Foods Market?' he said 'So....Why a grocery store ? What makes you want to work for a grocery store of all places?' To me, it kinda seemed like a way of tripping me up and getting me to say something like "Ehh, it seems cool ya know? moneys good" but rather than saying that I said "Well...I like to think of this place as more than 'just a grocery store', this place has such an upbeat feel about it. I love the way the employees all get along, how each and every customer is served above and beyond their expectations , thats what I love to do in any job I have." he seemed very happy with my answer and with that he just wanted to know if I had any questions for him. I asked him what was his story in moving up with whole foods,if he really enjoyed it, things like that. That part of the interview was very short, lasted maybe 10 minutes. He told me to have a good day and id hear from my team leader soon. The whole interview lasted about 30-45 minutes.
    3 days later, I got a call from the team leader offering me the position, she sent out my backround check, Monday morning I got a call asking me to come in for my first day of training, and Ive been working there ever since.. :)

They start all Team Members out at $10

Seafood Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Telephone interview, Team Leader interview, and store manager interview.
    When interviewed I was asked my past experience in the seafood industry and how I would be able to help in the promotion of the Whole Foods culture. Being interviewed in the team leader in Colorado I really could have said anything even though I had a strong history and a great mentor in the meat and seafood industry. He in my opinion seemed to be on something, and everything I said he nodded and talked in broken sentences.

Interview Questions
    • asked what kind of fuel I used in my vehicle   View Answer
    No negotiation. Made 2 dollars less than my last seafood job. Management was not open to negotiation

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

first had group interview that ran about 2 hours long. then called back for a second and brief interview questions why do you want to work for wholefoods.

no negotiation

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!