Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.7

Interview

I was asked to come in for an interview. When I got there the lady had no idea who I was or that her other manager (who was supposed to be there and didn't show up that day) scheduled an interview with her.

Interview Questions

• The head manager then proceeded to be rude and talk in a condescending tone to me. I was cordial, but I think its interesting that they messed up and then treated me like the one who made the error. I've never had such a bad interview before. I don't think they realize that we are interviewing them also as they speak to us. What a shame people like this are managers.   1 Answer

Culinary Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

The interview process was torturous and extremely time consuming. Anyone with a full time job would have had no chance of being able to complete the process. The whole process took 2 months, during which I was asked to meet with no less than 20 people and produce multiple pieces of original work product that Whole Foods can now easily steal and use. In fact, they asked for one project, then another, then another, as if they were doing it by the seat of their pants. The process was not organized. For example, they gave me multiple contact people that I had to meet with, but those people were on vacation the entire week I was supposed to meet them. After all the time and effort, they never even got back to me to let me know whether a final decision had been made, even after I called and emailed to follow up. I have since read that if the entire (large) panel of interviewers is not unanimous, they start the interview process all over again. COMPLETELY DISRESPECTFUL.

Interview Questions

• I think I've blocked them all out at this point.   1 Answer

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Sugar Land, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very simple and convenient everyone was friendly and acted more like family then anything. I had to wait a while but I understand it gets busy so no complaints. They care more about your personality then your experience.

Specialty/Wine Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

"Speed dating" style interview with a panel of three "up from the loading docks" types. 10 minutes total to make a good first (and last) impression. I had no sense from their few questions in those brief 10 minutes that they had even reviewed my application.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would make a memorable sandwich for a customer?   1 Answer

Produce Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by both the department team leader and the store human resources leader. Assisted a one-on-one interview with the department team leader and was run through all job duties and requirements. Was very easy and smooth.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply at Whole Foods Market?   1 Answer

Specialty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Elmhurst, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online to several positions for the yet-to-be built Whole Foods location in Elmhurst. I was lucky to get many responses (all except one were nos, concerning my application status).
    The positive response was a request from the team lead for the considered area asking 4 fairly specific question in regards to the position. I responsed per the deadline and was asked to come in less than a week later for an inperson interview.
    The first interview was between myself, the department head and the specialty/wine buyer. They were very friendly -super family feeling as other posts have mentioned- and asked more department specific questions:
            What would you pair with proscetto?
            What is the difference between champagne and sparkling wine?
            What would you do if you were busy at the cheese counter, wrapping a selection, when a customer approached you asking for help in another department?
           What are you passionate about?
           What is the difference between a Belgium Beer and a German Beer?
    After a variety of questions like the ones before my interviewers asked a few more questions more geared to my responses. They then followed with some expectations in the role offered a Whole Foods. I was most impressed with their Anti-Layoff policy (meaning if there are not enough sales in your area they will transfer you to another department or local store instead of firing). After a few more comments they took a little time privately to discuss. I was informed I would be called over the next week per their decision.
    Luckily I was called later that afternoon and asked to return the next day. Since then I have signed my hiring papers and am eagerly awaiting my first training day and the store's opening.

Interview Questions

• Why Whole Foods? Why did you apply?
              What are you passionate about?
              What would you pair with proscetto?
              What is the difference between champagne and sparkling wine?
             What is the difference between a Belgium Beer and a German Beer?
             What area would you be most suited for: Beer, Wine, Cheese or charcuterie?

Answer Question

Grocery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Boulder, CO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I initially applied through indeed and was actually sent an email saying they were pursuing other candidates. About a week after I received the email one of the grocery managers called me and scheduled an interview for the next day. She was very nice gave me insight on what to expect and the hours I would be working, along with a tour of the store. The grocery manager then passed me on to one of the store managers and asked me about me about my experience with retail and what I would come to expect working at the store. He then called the grocery manager back over and she then offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

So disorganized. I applied online for the position at one of the new soon to open stores. A few days later I get an email from someone at WFM saying to disregard his previous note saying they weren't moving forward and that they'll be in touch about scheduling a phone screening soon. Never got the note declining my app (and wasn't in my spam) so I was confused. Told him that and said I'll disregard if it comes through and thanked him. A few days later I received a voicemail from someone else at WFM saying she had tried to reach me via email to schedule a phone screening but hadn't heard back and to give her a call. Again, I had never gotten an email and it wasn't in my spam (I'm guessing they somehow had a wrong email, but still don't see how the first person got in touch with me via the right email to tell me to disregard the other one). Called her back and told her that and she asked me if I could do the screening right then. I said yes, but how ridiculous. It was nothing- she asked me why I was interested in the position. That was it. About five days later I was invited to interview in person and given two "homework assignments" to complete and present for my panel 6 days later (I have a full time job, so this was a lot to take on). They could not have been more vague. I was told to put together a 30 day action plan on a $10,000 budget focused on customer acquisition or basket building for the store. I was also asked to outline some potential community orgs to partner with and put together an overview of the first store event. The community partners assignment was fine, didn't need explanation. But no direction was given on the 30 day plan. I asked if this should be focused on the opening month. She said yes. I got started. I was given direction to reach out to the people on my panel - which I did within the first two days. Followed up with each person twice, and received no responses, so I truly had no guidance about what they wanted. Naturally I included digital and social advertising in my plan. It's a marketing position. Two days before my panel, I emailed asking how much emphasis they wanted to be placed on budgeting for events vs. advertising. It was only then that she told me the regional team handles all advertising for the stores and not to include any of it in my plan. Started from scratch. Still put together an extensive campaign book with 7 different marketing campaigns and events leveraging community partners outlined in detail. I went in and presented to my panel and they asked some thoughtful questions, some I answered well and some only okay. Mostly it seemed like they were going through the motions - like my interview was a formality and they had someone else decided upon already. That same day I received a call, which I missed as I was still at work, and they didn't leave a message. When they didn't try again within the hour I decided to cold call the number back. I've never received a more offensive rejection. I asked for feedback and was told I focused too much on marketing to the community the store will be in since there's already two other WFMs in that area and they don't want to pull sales away from them. (Then why open another store in the community? Also, this one is on the opposite side of the city and my plan focused on reaching the community members in that area and the bordering neighborhood.) He also told me that asking the alder of the ward the store will be in (a family friend of mine) for her input on the demographics/psychographics of that community was "a risky move." Perhaps if I had received any response from my panel, I wouldn't have had to reach out to additional contacts. The way he phrased everything was rude and demeaning. Very negative and time consuming experience.

Interview Questions

• What gets under your skin?   Answer Question
    • How would you leverage several of the specialty departments in events?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to work with a "strong willed" person and how did you collaborate with them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (New Orleans, LA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Once they get the papers together you simply find a nice table, inside or outside to sit at, and begin to talk. You answer questions, share stories, and maybe even laugh a time or two. Once the interview is done they show the other managers and call you back within a week to begin processing your paperwork, or tell you that you don't seem to be the right for the company at this time.

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2015.

Interview

they act like they know you already which is a plus very friendly and is not hard at all its very easy . i got called the same day with a job offer i accepted next is background check and orientation

Interview Questions

• why you choose whole foods ? customer service past job experiences if your availability is open hard worker if you like to have fun   Answer Question