Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.6

Baker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Had two interviews and was told that I'd be recommended for hire. I was supposed to interview with the assistant manager but someone else interviewed me instead. I was not told about the chane in interview until I arrived for it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

The recruiter over the phone gave me the wrong time for my interview, so I never got a chance to sit down and actually get interviewed. When I called the Whole Foods that was interested in me, they said that I would be later scheduled for another group interview. I had to call the company 3 times to get a hold of them. I never got my second group interview, but I'll still shop at whole foods.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Asked behavioral questions that referenced former jobs; asked questions regarding to customer service and how I had implemented it into certain jobs listed on my resume; asked about my knowledge of the store and products

Customer Service Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

They first conduct a pre screening phone interview (TMs from the store call and ask why you want to work for whole foods, and sometimes ask random personality questions like "what is your favorite movie, and why?", and then candidates usually meet with store leadership, and then the 2nd interview is with leadership from the team they are applying to. Some positions require a panel interview. The panel is usually made up of 6 people from the store: Leadership and Team Members. They also started doing group interviews for cashier positions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Whole Foods Market? Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase is pretty laid back. They usually call all candidates the same day that they are interviewed and let them know either way.

Beer Buyer/Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

I found the opening on Indeed and followed a link to their application portal. It requires you to create a pretty in-depth profile where you upload your resume, and a cover letter if desired, in addition to describing additional departments you are interested in and what skills you have in each of those departments. I enjoyed this part as it allowed me to showcase a variety of skills and interests throughout the Specialty department (which includes beer, wine, coffee, cheese, chocolate and the olive bar) where this position is located. I was contacted by phone about 6 days after applying for a roughly 10-minute pre-screening phone interview with the Assistant Team Leader. I was asked a couple of basic questions like "what do you know about Whole Foods?", "why would you like to work for us?", and questions about my resume and background. Additionally, I was asked questions relevant to the department like what local beers I had recently enjoyed (I had just moved to the state but fortunately I had already had 6-7 different local beers), what my favorite cheese is, what my favorite wine is, etc. The Assistant Team Leader I was speaking with informed me that he was pre-screening candidates and that his boss, the Team Leader, would be making final decisions on who to schedule in-person interviews with so I was informed that I would be contacted within a day or two regarding a further interview. I was contacted the next day by the Assistant Team Leader and scheduled an in-person interview for three days later. The interviews with Whole Foods are panel interviews and there were 4 people present for mine.

Some interview questions I was asked: What makes a Trappist beer Trappist? What is your favorite cheese? What wine would you pair with that? What are three different white wine styles besides Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc? If your manager gives you a long list of tasks and a coworker asks you for assistance doing something and you also notice a few messy areas in your department, how would you prioritize? Describe the difference in taste between coffees from each of the 3 main regions of export? What would you prepare and pair (presumably they were open to pairing with wine or beer) for us if we were coming over for dinner tonight? What changes would you make in the wine department? What would you do to increase single-glass wine sales at the bar? What would you do to create repeat business at the bar? If you received a single case of a rare beer where would you display it within the store?

I was asked what pay rate I am looking for, I had read that the average pay for this position was $12-$13/hour so I opened with saying that my skills and background would like to see me in the range of $14 to which they briefly cringed before I had the chance to add that it was negotiable because I'm passionate about this opportunity and am sure they have a budget. The interviews were tightly packed, presumably I was led into the room right after an interviewee and I was told we were "out of time" about 30 minutes into the interview when one of the managers walked me down so they could also guide the next interviewee up. I was told I would be contacted by the next day at the latest. I was called about an hour and a half after I left with a "unfortunately we aren't selecting you for this position." I was asked if I wanted feedback and was told that my wine knowledge wasn't sufficient, that all of the other candidates already work for Whole Foods at that location and that it came down to another candidate having more knowledge. It's strange, I put a lot of effort into creating a well thought out action plan and having thoughtful and informed responses in my interview. I believe I only answered one wine question incorrectly so either they are very strict about this or that outsiders just really don't stand much of a chance when there are candidates from within who are applying as well. He told me that I was very intelligent, well-spoken and seem very passionate and they would love to have me on their team in another position. He instructed me to apply to any open positions online and that they were looking for part-time cashiers if that interested me.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were relevant to the Specialty department, I would advise refreshing or crash-coursing yourself on coffee, wine, beer, and cheese styles before the interview. Bringing notes into the interview is okay, just try not to look at them frequently, of course.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I got an initial call about a week after I applied. Was hired right after the interview and offered a Full-Time position. You do about a week of training (watching videos, going over job expectations, exc.), and after that you work as a bagger and do carts (go through the parking lot and round up the stray carts and put them away) for 2-4 months. After that point, you shadow a cashier for about 2 weeks and then you get your own till to work.

Cake Decorator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Panel review. Short 15-25 minute interview. Was asked a series of casual questions regarding experience, attitude towards learning, willingness to work overtime to complete projects. Seemed as though they really just wanted experience and a positive attitude. Was hired and offered the job five minutes after I left over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What did you dislike about your previous job? Do you have any food allergies?   Answer Question

Meat Team Member Interview

Background check, regular hiring process of calls, interviews, etc. Applied online, got a call from the head of the department and given a brief phone interview. Then was told to come in for a sit down interview and was offered the job afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Greatest strength, weakness, etc.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Applied online and was called the next day, met with team leader to discuss details of the job and was warned that I would go on a panel interview, could be anywhere from 3-10 people interviewing you at once. I was offered $12.50 for this position. 1 week later I had my interview with 4 people, lasted 20 minutes. Was asked to provide resume, left feeling like I did well, got a call the next day saying that they would not be hiring me at this time. Maybe they found someone more qualified?

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond if a cashier wasn't behaving appropriately and received a complaint from a customer about them?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when a manager gave you constuctive criticism   Answer Question
    • How do you take constructive criticism?   Answer Question
    • Give example of a time where you gave somwone constructive criticism   Answer Question
    • Asked for a closing statement.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a co-worker wasn't doing their share of the work, talked to them about it but was disrespectful to you and refused to do their share.   Answer Question

General Submission Interview

It was a group interview with about 10-12 other people. They made you do these skit type things like "pretend a customer comes in and is angry...play out the situation" or "Create an ad based on our core values." The whole thing lasts about 2 and a half hours, but they feed you and give you some breaks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. They just look for people who get along anyone.   Answer Question