Whole Foods Market

409 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Graphic Artist Interview

Columbia, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details I had a phone interview and a panel interview, with many of the managerial staff including but not limited to Body Life Manager, Marketing Manager, and Store Manager. There was a drawing test. I was not required to bring a portfolio but it was appreciated. They were interested in my studio background in addition to my design skills

Interview Question – A produce provider brings in strawberries that he says are as sweet as those strawberry candies. However, we do not sell this kind of product because it has genetically modified ingredients. How would you promote this commentary in our store without promoting an item with GM ingredients?   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Assistant Interview

San Ramon, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a different location than the one that contacted me. The day after I applied, a store 10 minutes from that location contacted me about an interview. I agreed, and later put in the application for that store. I went in and interviewed with 3 people; their positions were not disclosed. We sat outside and they asked me general questions regarding my past experience, best and worst scenarios, etc. It went very well, and they said they would be in touch. The very next day, I was contacted by one of the interviewers asking if I would come in again to meet with the store manager. I agreed, and went in and had a very informal conversation with the manager about why I wanted to work there. After we parted ways, the original interviewer came over and thanked me for coming in and said they'd be in touch in the next two days. I did not receive a phone call back, unfortunately.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - one of the interviewers asked me what my favorite season was.   View Answer

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2012.

Interview Details I had to go back several times to get an interview. I was very persistent. They usually hire from within the company. They asked the usual questions. Why do you want to work at Whole Foods. What do you know about Whole Foods? Have you ever worked in a grocery store?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had an irate customer and how you dealt with the situation?   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2014.

Interview Details Initial call consisted of a supervisor asking why you'd like to work for Whole Foods. A second, follow-up call inviting me to participate in a group interview after another barrage of questions over the phone (experiences in customer service, most difficult customer experience, favorite Whole Foods product). Then there was the group interview which was essentially a cattle call, consisting of myself and 30+ other candidates. There were about 8 different "Team Leaders" (managers/supervisors), including the Assistant Store Manager. They told us a bit about the company and asked us to go around the room introducing ourselves. (Why do you want to work for WFM, what is your favorite food, etc.) Then they broke us down into 6 groups of 5 people to create a skit for Whole Foods highlighting a core value and a skit highlighting good customer service/bad customer service. The group interview lasted 3+ hours all told. We were told to arrive at 8am and I didn't leave until after 11am. We spent 1 hour from 8 to 9am waiting for the ASM to show up to start the interview. It seemed unprofessional. Then I was called back for a one-on-one interview, which consisted of a hiring manager and a supervisor for the department I was applying to. Mention the core values and the fact that WFM is rated as one of the top companies to work for by Forbes Magazine, it's very impressive. After that, they will either make you a job offer on the spot (which they did for me) or tell you they'll be in touch. Then about a week later you start your training at a different store than you were hired at, depending where the trainer is sent to.

Interview Question – Working in groups with people who you are up against for a job is very awkward if you're not thick skinned enough to handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay $11 dollars an hour starting April 1st. I don't think there is room for any negotiation amongst entry level employees.

Cashier Interview

Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview, then interview at store with team leader (study up on WFM culture!) and then a follow-up interview w/the Store team leader

Interview Question – about the WFM culture   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, their pay is non-negotiable

Whole Foods Seafood Team Member Interview

Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in February 2014.

Interview Details I interviewed the the Seafood Team Leader and the Assistant Seafood Team Leader at the same time. It was awkward sitting between the two of them getting grilled. But I was set-up for success. They asked me easy questions that anyone interviewing anywhere should already be prepared for. Questions like: Do you shop here, what do you know about fish, how would you handle this situation or that?

Interview Question – What would you do if you have three customers in line and the phone's ringing off the hook and you're the only person on the floor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nope.

Store Shift Leader Interview

Paterson, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online, answered all questions with complete sentences and in ways that generated my excitement about the positions I applied for. Made sure to make the correlation between my values and the core values of Whole Foods (environmental conservation, healthy vegan and gluten free lifestyle, dedication to genuine customer service). I included my resume and a cover letter with my application again reiterating what I had stated within the application. I was called back the next day for a panel interview. I was nervous, since I had never been interviewed by five people at once before.

I was escorted through the back hallways of Whole Foods by a very nice man. We engaged in small talk, and he was friendly and inviting. So that gave me a good feeling of what was to come.
Anyway, i was escorted to a weird little room, literally 10' by 10' (I was told the conference room was being used) and was immediately introduced to four other people. Four of the people in the room were male, and there was one woman. The ones on the panel with the highest positions were white males, while the other three were of an ethnic background. The interview began with the average "tell me a little about yourself question" asked by the Store Team Leader. Then the other people present asked me one question each. Along the lines of tell me your greatest strength and weakness, tell me a lesson you've learned at your previous position, tell me why you want to work at Whole Foods. All typical and expected questions. The interview was only about 15 minutes long, including about 5 minutes of my own questions being asked. I thought that was quite short.

I have to note that there was one individual on the panel that seemed like he didn't like me right off the bat. While I was able to engage the others and make them smile, he was stone cold. He did not want me there. The question he asked was so typical, it practically took 0 thought. "What's your greatest strength and weakness"... I believe that he was the reason I didn't get the job. Or that they had an internal candidate that they wanted to hire from the get go, but needed to consider other candidates to make it look good. Or because I was a white female applying to a leadership position. I have four years of management experience in a small company and am currently pursuing a degree in Environmental Business Economics. They didn't ask me any situational questions such as "tell me about a time when" ... I thought that in order to get a grasp on what I've experienced and how I would act in certain situations, they would have asked me some of those.

The Store Team Leader called me back about three hours after I left the interview saying that they had selected another candidate. No more of a description other than "another". Then they offered me an interview for a cashier position. -__- I sent the Store Team Leader a thank you email to practice professionalism. He responded with "Your (sic) welcome". Geeze!!!!
All in all, I believe that for one reason or another, I wasn't given a fair shot. Guess I'll learn from this. Ha!

Interview Question – None. I would have loved to turn the tables and ask the panel the exact questions they asked me. It would've been amusing to hear their responses. I say amusing because I got the impression that if they were interviewing each other, they most likely wouldn't give themselves the job. Tough crowd.   View Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details I had to do a group interview with about 20 other people. We had to do a skit about their core value: satisfy, nourish, and delight the customer. We had to do a commercial about a core value (we got to choose). I got called back for a second interview that following Monday. They sent a girl who was a cashier out to interview me because the ATL was not available. I figured the girl would just ask me questions until the ATL became available, however, she left and came back and said we will call you to reschedule an interview with the ATL. We don't know if we can work with your hours ( I have a full-time 9-5) job elsewhere. I just found it to be very disorganized.

Update: Received a call; they made me an offer; they called back a few days later to request another round of interviews. Interviewed with a few more people. Made me another offer, and I signed the paperwork.

Interview Question – What is the biggest problem with working on a team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start everyone out at 11.00/hour

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details Interview was very brief, not realistic of job conditions or scheduling.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions, interview was about 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No was paid low & stayed that way for a year.

Produce Team Member Interview

Birmingham, AL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2013.

Interview Details Easy - repetitive common sense questioning by different leaders in the store, but easy to answer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!

Whole Foods Market Videos

Whole Foods Market – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Motto Our motto — Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet — emphasizes that our vision reaches beyond food retailing. In fact, our deepest purpose as an organization is helping support the health, well-being, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whole Foods Market interview questions and advice. All 409 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Whole Foods Market employees and interview candidates.