YMCA Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.3

Sales & Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA (Sydney) in March 2012.

Interview

It was exciting prospect. disappointed i didnt get it

Swim Instructor Interview

Interview

Group interview. We met in the chapel at the Y and introduced ourselves and our experience with swimming. We were asked some scenarios and our general experience working with kids. Part of the interview was an in-pool assessment of your ability to swim 4 of 6 strokes. Swimming skills only needed to be adequate.

Interview Questions

• How do you do around kids?
      How would you approach a frustrated parent?
      What would you consider to be the three most important things when teaching swimming?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

The process to get the interview took about a month and a half since the program director that I was trying to meet had a baby right after I submitted my application.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had to teach a set of kids a new game?   1 Answer

Director of Child Care Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at YMCA (Madison, NJ (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with Executive Dorector followed by a 2 hour in person interview with Executive Director and Current Director of Child Care Services. Full center tour.

Member Services Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pearland, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA (Pearland, TX (US)).

Interview

I applied in person and was told that I needed to show up to a group interview. There were about 30 other people who attended the group interview all applying for different positions; the directors from each department were there. We were asked to draw pictures and answer questions like "If you were a shoe, what shoe would you be?" After the group interview, I was called to go back for a one-on-one interview where I met with the community director. I get that it's an entry-level job, but I don't get how some of the questions have to do with work performance at all.

Interview Questions

• If you were a shoe, what kind of shoe would you be?   2 Answers

Day Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

I first got an email inviting me to A group interview that required everyone to work in teams creating activities for the kids and solving issues together. The interviewer would then point out good ideas discussed and criticize bad ideas. I then received an email to have a phone interview the week following to discuss my experience with children

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a disagreement between two young campers   1 Answer

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

The interview was very casual. We talked about experiences and availability. We discussed trainings required for the position and I already had many of the needed required skills and certifications.

I interviewed and was hired in the same day. In the end it just came down to how we got along.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any previous lifeguard experience   1 Answer

After School Staff Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Very friendly and laid back environment. Interview was roughly 30 minutes. Questions were what you would expect....was asked to choose one word from company mission statement and describe how it best fits me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What would you do if confronted by angry parent.   Answer Question

Welcome Center Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in March 2015.

Interview

I sent my resume by email for an open position, and got an email back a few days later saying that they would be calling applicants in a week. I got a call to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people. The interview was very laid back, and was mostly descriptions of the position. Was also asked some personality type questions, and a little about my previous work history. Left with them saying they would be in touch. I got a call two days later offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us some things about you. What are some of your strengths and weaknesses? How would you deal with an upset customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, they told me the rate of pay, and that was that.

YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

One on one interview in the YMCA entrance hall, not in an office, last around 25 minutes, it was more like a friendly discussion about situations or personnal interest and qualification and skills. Not at all stressful. She asked things like : «What your campers will expect from you? and what the parents will expect from you?»

Interview Questions

• Which leader that you worked with inspired you and how will you transposed this in your leading?   Answer Question