YMCA Interview Questions

2.3

Sales & Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA in March 2012.

It was exciting prospect. disappointed i didnt get it

Membership Service Representative Interview

Lots of, "What do I do on my spare time..?" Questions which focus on the potential employee's personal life.
    The hiring process wasn't very lengthy. It was a standard background check and drug test. However, in order to clock in or use the computer for crucial work related tasks you need a Daxko ID number which wasn't given to me for about 3 weeks. This made my job very tedious for that time, but other than that it was a seamless transition to this new job.

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

I was brought in for an interview from a referral. I knew someone who helped out at Y with their charity events. The interview was very standard. Most of the questions involved analyzing my strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • They ask me a series of questions about what I would do if a camper faced danger and how I would handle situations with other co-workers.   Answer Question

After School Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

I applied online and they called me saying they had positions open in three different locations that were near me and in nicer areas. I arrived at the Greater Miami Headquarters for my interview 15 minutes early. A woman asked who I was supposed to be meeting with, but they never told me over the phone. I waited a bit, and then a woman handed me an application for me to fill out, which I had already done online. Clearly they were not prepared for me to be there. I entered the busy room and some younger girls laughed and stared at me for whatever reason. The woman escorting me had no idea where to hold this interview and wandered the room and settled on someone else's desk, whose owner repeatedly came to grab something or use his computer throughout the interview. She asked good questions, but didn't seem to follow a protocol--just questions off the top of her head. Then she offered me positions that were no where near the locations that were offered to me on the phone, not to mention very out of my way. They need more organization and consistency; I was very turned off.

Interview Questions
    • What would your last supervisor say about you? What was the greatest moment from your last job? Why do you want to work for the YMCA?   Answer Question

Turned off by company's disorganization and inconsistency

Member Service Representative II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA in October 2014.

I applied online. I then heard from the person a month later for a phone interview. They brought me in for a panel interview two weeks later. The process took about 4-6 weeks. I think that was pretty long for a part time job. For the most part, the panel was nice. There was one woman who seemed shocked that I did Crossfit which I found rather odd.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this membership? What do you know about the Y? Tell me about a difficult situation? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter online. Came in and did a demo lesson with the class I was going to teach. Spoke with supervisor for about 30 minutes. Asked me various questions about curriculum and lesson plan design, parent outreach, community involvement and discipline.

No Negotiation.

Mentoring Program Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

I completed and application and mailed it into the office. I was called for a phone pre-interview screening that was evaluating experience and understanding of the position. I was then called in for a three person panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very standard interview questions- Can you describe a situation where you failed and how did you handle it? There were a few situational questions that were specific tow irking with children- You are working with a group of children and they are not listening to you, what do you do?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating.

Senior Counselor Interview

It was for a counselor position at a summer camp. Fairly simple application and interview process. One phone interview and then one in-person interview.They were extremely friendly, easy to talk to. We met at a coffee shop. It was a fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions about what you would do with kids regarding safety procedures   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   View Answer
    There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Very simple, they called, I answered. The interview was over Skype. The YMCA hires a lot of people from outside the US so Skype is one of the more efficient ways of interacting. They'll mostly ask you about experience with teaching and leadership qualifications.