Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

3 interviews. Phone screen and 2 with management.

Interview Questions
    Easy. Told them I had counteroffers. (which were true)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yahoo.

They interviewed me few months after talking me to at my college career fair. I had two interviews. The first one was one simple OO concepts and basic programming questions. The second one was more focussed on front end questions and I didn't know the front end concepts really well. It was pretty clear after that I wasn't going to make it after that. I had another deadline just a few days after that so heard back from them regarding it pretty soon.

Even though I didn't get through. I liked their overall interview process.

Intermediate Software Development Engineer Interview

1. permutation&& find the most characters which has no duplicates
    2.merge the range
    3.there is a string A,which has 512 bits,0 or 1; Another a string B, which has 32 bits. Does A contains B
    some other questions ,such as describe the process the function call in C language;the parameter of the copy constructor is reference,why?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions
    • A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Inside Sale Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Long hiring process. Mostly phone interviews. No group interviews. Be ready for a long wait time and lots of background checks. They do check on your former work history so don't lie on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult. Pretty standard interview. Having a good knowledge of the tech world and competitors is also a plus. Just be confident and direct.   Answer Question
    They tell you what they have in their budget and you dont have alot of options for wiggle room

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

three round of interviews.
    1.basic c++ questions and leetcode level coding problem. such as find the longest palindrome, change least number of chars to make a string palindrome. add least chars at the end of the original string to make a palindrome.
    2.discuss map reduce and basic graph algorithms
    graph travalsal , bfs
    3.manager interview. some open end problems
    hashmap, math problems

Interview Questions
    • us Map Reduce framwork to find the second degree friends for each one in social network.   View Answer

Search Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Yahoo.

Standard interview. First and second were conducted by phone. Flown in for 3rd. The second interview was conducted by peer-equivalents. Third interview was with managers that lasted for a few hours in an afternoon, and meeting the rest of the staff.

Interview Questions
    • Standard set of questions. Nothing earth-shattering. Some questions involved personal internet habits and professional experience.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

This is a on campus interview, the process of the interview is very straight forward, a guy look at my resume and ask about some detailed questions regarding it. Then we have worked on a question on a c++ question, which is simply find out all the prime number less than 65536. Then we discussed some web design skills which I've used in my projects. I think I did well, but didn't hear from them since then.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions
    • Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Two phone interviews then got an on Site interview.
    1. design a calculator using C++