Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

3 interviews. Phone screen and 2 with management.

Interview Questions
    Easy. Told them I had counteroffers. (which were true)

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Producer Interview

I had one face to face interview with my supervisor. It was a simple conversation where we talked about my experience and type of shows I produced. Within one week I had an offer. I was told that unfortunately, there was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set. Looking back, I'm not sure how locked in the rate was.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. I was asked to send the interviewer my reel.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set.

Data Anlysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Champaign, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2014.

I was referred by the current employee at Yahoo! and have three interviews, two on-site interviews and one phone interview. On-site interviews, the managers mainly talked about what kind of projects they are doing and Yahoo! culture, and also asked me why I chose Yahoo!.

Interview Questions
    • Technically, they asked me a few questions about machine learning, like the difference between clustering and classification, and database questions.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in August 2014.

Have contacted the Talent Director SEA in Shangai... Was asked for phone interview 3 days later which was pretty good... But phone interview screwed up due to bad phone line number i was given.. Then had a FTF interview scheduled and the night before at 7pm got an email telling it is cancelled... So rude and disappointing....Lack of seriousness

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

Start to finish - background review, fit questions, logic and case studies, finally a walk through of a model based on an example interviewer asked. Overall process took a few weeks but that was considered accelerated so I'm not sure what the real time frame normally is. Everyone was really really friendly and made sure I felt comfortable - which made it difficult to determine if I was a great fit or they were just nice.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through how you'd build a financial model for forecasting X for Yahoo. I'm not sure I can share the X part but know that you'll need to know your modeling inside and out.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

The entire process took about 3 weeks. The communication was perfect, beyond perfect. I've interviewed at many top tech firms in terms of reputation and opportunity. Yahoo! was an exception. The recruiter guided me through each step. I knew from the very beginning the timeframe which was then continuously updated. There was no mystery. No weird subcommittees and internal processes I wasn't privilege to. It was all crystal clear.

It is the first time in my entire work-life experience that I have met a recruiter who was working with me towards an excellent package that was also fair to the current employees. The recruiter and I had a collaborative relationship. I will now hire and look forward to working with this recruiter on the other side of the table. I never could have anticipated how beyond the team, manager, and vision, the recruiter would contribute so highly to my positive outlook of the culture in the organization.

I loved the honesty of everyone there, and the great energy I met when I interviewed. Everyone I met on the team was extraordinarily professional, fully engaged, and creative around their interview questions. I knew I wanted to work with every single person in my interview loop on real problems and research. There was such a good energy, people seem all compelled to have impact in a healthy collaborative way. It is also a real equal opportunity company. Truly impressive.

Interview Questions
    • I had advanced software engineering questions from two technical interviewers, but the questions were well structured and fairly assessed my ability to structure and write code in an R+D environment. The worst is when you're in a technical interview and the technical interviewer has something to prove for whatever reason. This couldn't be further from the case at Yahoo! Even on the technical side, I was being tested as to my ability to collaborative meaningfully on technical topics while maintaining a high level of individual contribution. Whether the question was about software or other topics, the intention from the interviewer was always the right one.   Answer Question
    The recruiter was so good and the hiring manager is so fantastic, that I did trust they would design a perfect package. And they did! It was such a nice process, there was no game to play, just explaining what I am making and what other offers I have. They used that information to create a competitive package.

I did not have to negotiate, except for the relocation (but the recruiter was excellent at understanding and assessing my needs, therefore that was easy).

I had excellent other competitive offers that I turned down, most of them because the culture was not the right one (one of them because the salary was too low). I totally was impressed by the Yahoo! culture from the beginning to the end of the interview process.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions
    Not much flexibility to negotiate

Technical Interview

2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!