Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 23 Sep 2014
Updated 23 Sep 2014

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

3 interviews. Phone screen and 2 with management.

Interview Questions
    Easy. Told them I had counteroffers. (which were true)

Software Engineer Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Producer Interview

I had one face to face interview with my supervisor. It was a simple conversation where we talked about my experience and type of shows I produced. Within one week I had an offer. I was told that unfortunately, there was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set. Looking back, I'm not sure how locked in the rate was.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. I was asked to send the interviewer my reel.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation of the contractor pay rate because the budget was set.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

I received an email from the Corporate Connection of my college about Yahoo is hiring. I submitted my resume by replying to the email and got a phone interview the next day. Got the onsite interview in less than a week after the phone interview. The onsite interview was 6 hours long and free lunch was provided. Each interview section last about an hour, and it's either 1-1 or 1-2 but always only one person asking.

Interview Questions
    • Got database query questions and Unix commands questions which I don't quite remember   View Answer

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

Start to finish - background review, fit questions, logic and case studies, finally a walk through of a model based on an example interviewer asked. Overall process took a few weeks but that was considered accelerated so I'm not sure what the real time frame normally is. Everyone was really really friendly and made sure I felt comfortable - which made it difficult to determine if I was a great fit or they were just nice.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through how you'd build a financial model for forecasting X for Yahoo. I'm not sure I can share the X part but know that you'll need to know your modeling inside and out.   Answer Question

Senior Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

The entire process took about 3 weeks. The communication was perfect, beyond perfect. I've interviewed at many top tech firms in terms of reputation and opportunity. Yahoo! was an exception. The recruiter guided me through each step. I knew from the very beginning the timeframe which was then continuously updated. There was no mystery. No weird subcommittees and internal processes I wasn't privilege to. It was all crystal clear.

It is the first time in my entire work-life experience that I have met a recruiter who was working with me towards an excellent package that was also fair to the current employees. The recruiter and I had a collaborative relationship. I will now hire and look forward to working with this recruiter on the other side of the table. I never could have anticipated how beyond the team, manager, and vision, the recruiter would contribute so highly to my positive outlook of the culture in the organization.

I loved the honesty of everyone there, and the great energy I met when I interviewed. Everyone I met on the team was extraordinarily professional, fully engaged, and creative around their interview questions. I knew I wanted to work with every single person in my interview loop on real problems and research. There was such a good energy, people seem all compelled to have impact in a healthy collaborative way. It is also a real equal opportunity company. Truly impressive.

Interview Questions
    • I had advanced software engineering questions from two technical interviewers, but the questions were well structured and fairly assessed my ability to structure and write code in an R+D environment. The worst is when you're in a technical interview and the technical interviewer has something to prove for whatever reason. This couldn't be further from the case at Yahoo! Even on the technical side, I was being tested as to my ability to collaborative meaningfully on technical topics while maintaining a high level of individual contribution. Whether the question was about software or other topics, the intention from the interviewer was always the right one.   Answer Question
    The recruiter was so good and the hiring manager is so fantastic, that I did trust they would design a perfect package. And they did! It was such a nice process, there was no game to play, just explaining what I am making and what other offers I have. They used that information to create a competitive package.

I did not have to negotiate, except for the relocation (but the recruiter was excellent at understanding and assessing my needs, therefore that was easy).

I had excellent other competitive offers that I turned down, most of them because the culture was not the right one (one of them because the salary was too low). I totally was impressed by the Yahoo! culture from the beginning to the end of the interview process.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions
    Not much flexibility to negotiate

Technical Interview

2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online. Contacted by HR. Conducted a 30-minute phone screen with Senior Technical Writer. He seemed enthusiastic to have me come in for an in-person interview.

No response - from anybody, including HR. No call backs, emails, or any form of communication. Dead air. Nothing, despite various attempts to contact them.

Highly unprofessional. The process died prematurely with no explanation. Frankly, the company is failing, and their star of relevance has faded long ago.

I'm happy I didn't move forward with them.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

employee referral, two phone interviews, structured around role and fit for the team and love of Yahoo as a company; why Yahoo vs Google, Facebook, Etc. what's your favorite Yahoo product and why? What do you think of the company's current strategy?

Interview Questions

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!