Yahoo

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated 3 Mar 2015
Updated 3 Mar 2015

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

3 interviews. Phone screen and 2 with management.

Interview Questions
    Easy. Told them I had counteroffers. (which were true)

Senior Editor Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yahoo.

Yahoo has you interview with your future potential peers, which is interesting and somewhat effective. Deadline with HR was a bit of a nightmare though. When the offer finally came in, the back and forth was not fun at all. They're a big corporation that it's easy to get lost in. Wouldn't recommend them too highly as they're a bit directionless still, even in the Marissa Mayer era.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Straight to the point with the phone screen, no background chatting, no basic concept explaining, just two coding questions to deal with. The whole phone screen process took about one hour.

Software Engineer Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions
    • Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Yahoo.

I had 2 interviews on campus after meeting a recruiter in a job fair. My gpa was actually lower than their standards but they gave me an interview anyways. They asked me resume questions as well as give me an opportunity to explain why my gpa was low (3.4). Afterwords they asked me simple questions like reversing a linked list, and then asked me questions like what other offers do you have? I was then given the 2nd interview immediately afterwards, to which they asked 3 programming questions, like parsing a regular expression given a string, and designing monopoly and how to determine if a list has no duplicates.

Interview Questions
    • Design Monopoly.
      Given 2 strings, figure out if one is a reg expression of the other.

examples:
      Y-hoo, Yahoo -True
      Y*o, Yahoo -> True
      hoo ->Yahoo True
      ya-* -> yahoo True

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yahoo.

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sample Questions:
      1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree
      2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.

Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo.

Phone interview. Then met with 4-5 of people in 1 day. It was pretty relaxed. They asked about some specific accounts and executions I had done in the past for advertisers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yahoo.

Went to the Career Fair in our university and got the interview. The process included two rounds. Interviewers were interested in my data science background and were very friendly. While they asked a lot about my experience, they also shared a lot about Yahoo with me. Each interviewer asked one technical question. One is an open question such as what assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how.

Interview Questions
    • What assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Yahoo.

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Applied through campus career fair. I was called to their office. Then there were two rounds of interview with the team leads of two projects. Very intensive and completely technical.

Interview Questions
    • 1. In a string of inputs like 1111... followed by 0000..., how would you detect the first occurrence of 0?
      2. Given a string of words with all the white-spaces removed, and another array of strings as the dictionary of valid words, reintroduce the white-spaces. Do this by recursion only.
      3. Make a square spiral structure using iteration only.

View Answer