Yahoo Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
Updated Aug 18, 2014
537 interviews

Senior Account Executive Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

3 interviews. Phone screen and 2 with management.

Interview Questions
    Easy. Told them I had counteroffers. (which were true)

Technical Interview

2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.2 telephonic interviews.Questions related to team asked.Response of HR really slow.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview: hiring manager, direct manager, supervisor,. Got a proposal, negotiate it a bit. They asked me general questions about my past experience, nohing too complicated

Interview Questions
    Not much flexibility to negotiate

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2014.

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Software Engineer (Tech Yahoo Software Applications Dev Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Had 4 rounds of interview - 2 technical, 2 managerial. The technical interviews covered basics of programming and little challenging coding questions. Managerial rounds included discussions on interests, technical scenarios, architectural questions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Arrays, with reducing memory complexity and time complexity   Answer Question
    Yes, I negotiated, but they didn't go beyond a certain limit.

Technical Writer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo.

Applied online. Contacted by HR. Conducted a 30-minute phone screen with Senior Technical Writer. He seemed enthusiastic to have me come in for an in-person interview.

No response - from anybody, including HR. No call backs, emails, or any form of communication. Dead air. Nothing, despite various attempts to contact them.

Highly unprofessional. The process died prematurely with no explanation. Frankly, the company is failing, and their star of relevance has faded long ago.

I'm happy I didn't move forward with them.

Summer Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Yahoo.

employee referral, two phone interviews, structured around role and fit for the team and love of Yahoo as a company; why Yahoo vs Google, Facebook, Etc. what's your favorite Yahoo product and why? What do you think of the company's current strategy?

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   View Answers (4)
    No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Senior Manager Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in April 2011.

I applied online and didn't think about it since Yahoo! gets hundreds of submissions per role. I was surprised to get a call a couple of weeks later from a recruiter. The recruiter call were basic screening questions and I was passed on to a phoner with the hiring manager. I chatted with her for about 30-minutes then got brought onsite for a loop style interview. I spoke with three peers, one manager above my level, and the hiring manger. I received an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • None. I prepped myself thoroughly for all of my calls. I knew my resume, accomplishments, and how I could support the company thoroughly. Interview questions were primarily scenario based i.e. "Can you tell me about a time you worked with a publisher." If you're prepared it's not too tough.   Answer Question
    Yahoo has set pay scales for their roles so compensation negotiation is limited outside of the senior executive level.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Had an initial phone call with him and then was contacted by someone else setting up an in-person interview for the next week. The recruiter told me the job didn't have a specific job title yet (they were just looking for the perfect person regardless of experience level), but when the assistant set up the interview, she said it was for an associate editor and that was the only position they had available. Had the in-person interviews with two different people on the team – neither of whom it seemed like I would have worked with on a daily basis. One asked more technical and experiential questions, and the other seemed to be assessing my personality. The interviews went well and it seemed like I was more than qualified for the job, but I didn't hear back from either person, and when I followed up with the recruiter, he never responded to my email.

Interview Questions

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!