Yelp

Updated 28 Jan 2015
Updated 28 Jan 2015

307 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

Hiring process took a little over one week. I was quickly responded to by a recruiter, a short phone interview was conducted (10-20 mins) and I was told that there would be a follow up interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied on the Yelp website and within a few days I had an email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview is relatively painless. She mentions that it will take about 15-20 min and it begins. Basically, by you telling a little bit about yourself; background, why Yelp or an entry level position, a time when you faced adversity...basic stuff. Then, there is a small role play over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • A business owner has been dodging your calls. Leave him a message.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and got a response within about 3 weeks. Initial call asked typical interview questions and then I was selected to move on to the next interview. This interview was with two hiring managers, who had me do role playing scenarios. Role playing scenarios are not too difficult, but they require you to be assertive and use the feedback given to you. Make sure you do the research provided to know about the company before the second round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Closing a deal within the role playing scenario may be difficult if one has no sales background, so don't be afraid to be assertive and aggressive.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and a recruiting team immediately reached out to me via e-mail letting me know that my application was approved by the team and that they wanted to do a 15 minute interview with me on the phone. They gave me some options of when I could do the 15 minute interview but I chose the earliest one possible to get the ball rolling ASAP. The phone interview is very casual and basically just asks you why you want the job, what you know about position you're applying for, what is your background, etc.

After the phone interview, an in-person interview follows (if they like your phone interview, of course) which typically lasts for 45 minutes to 1 hour but mine lasted for a little bit over an hour. Mine was scheduled 2 days after the phone interview because that was the soonest they had available. Don't worry! If you're out of state or for some reason not able to go to their local office, they are very flexible and actually accommodate everyone with a Skype interview which is what I did. This portion of the interview process is the hardest and most difficult (if you're not prepared). The night before my interview, I didn't get a wink of sleep because of anxiety. About 5-10 minutes before the actual interview, someone will call you to make sure you're properly connected to their skype and that everything is good to go. Unlike what I had expected, I only had 2 interviewers instead of 3. This actually made more sense to me. It made it more concise and to the point.

My interviewers were very personable and nice so it made a lot easier to be myself around them. Like I said above, this part of the interview process can either really kick your butt or separate you from the rest of the candidates because it's mostly role play. They want to know how you can perform in a cold calling setting and then implement feedback. The most important thing to remember is to never take no for an answer and keep being persistent. Also, close the deal!! Sometimes you can get caught up with trying to sell your product that you end up not closing the deal and setting up an appointment with the store owner. I highly advice everyone to do a lot of role plays with a friend or family. This really helped me prepare and kill some nerves.

After the in person interview they won't tell you anything definitive. They'll say that the recruiting team will reach out to you for more information. I received an e-mail the next day from the recruiting team to get my background check done and also to set up a date for a webinar that will detail the training program and compensation potential within the company. Tomorrow is my webinar date so I'm excited to see what it's all about. I am still not sure if I got the job or not because this is technically still part of the interview process but I have a good feeling that I wouldn't have gone this far if they didn't see a potential in me. :)

Interview Questions
    • What is the one thing you wanted to give up on but decided to stick to in the end.   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online, was emailed within a week to set up a time to do a 15 minute phone screen. This was quick and involved simple questions like why yelp? Why sales? Tell me a little about yourself, etc... They basically just want to make sure you're personable and can carry a conversation. At the end of the call they asked me to set up a Skype interview a week later with a couple of their account managers. This interview lasted an hour and I spoke with two managers who were extremely nice and easy to talk to. They asked a few basic interview questions, but the bulk of both interviews was role playing. The scenarios involved making cold calls and selling yelp to local businesses. I didn't do so well my first time but they have you each redo the scenario and give you some feedback to implement. I implemented it exactly as they told me to do it and they both seemed pleased.
    The main idea is to IMPLEMENT FEEDBACK. Immediately after talking to each one of the managers (About 20 minutes each), I was emailed to register for a training webinar and a background check. I still haven't had the webinar but I'm hoping this means good news for me, but we'll have to wait and see! All in all, the process has been one of the best I've gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Sell yelp to a customer who refuses to buy and wants to purchase outside advertising   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview was 20 minutes. I was first asked about my personal interests, why a wanted to be in sales and why I wanted to work for Yelp. Then I had to leave a fake voice mail for a prospective business owner who had missed a meeting/call we had scheduled.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

1st Round-phone interview, basic questions about your background and why you are interested in working for the company.
    2nd Round-In-person interview with 3 different people at the company all asking different questions. The goal was to see if I could cold sell several different items in the room as well as convince someone to make a different decision than what they originally planned on making.

Interview Questions
    • Strangest question was, If there was someone who didn't want to work here, how would you convince them to take the job?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Attended career fair where recruiters seemed very interested. Next was a short online "quiz" basically to see if you are competent. Next was a phone interview. The woman who interviewed me was EXTREMELY rude. it was a very unpleasant experience and made me not want to work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Leave a voicemail for a potential customer who has canceled on you three times   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

The phone interview was pretty straight forward at first. I was asked about my background and my interest in a high volume cold-calling position. I was asked to pretend to leave a voicemail for a business to get them on board with yelp. After receiving feedback, I was asked to do it again.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was asking to leave a business a voicemail, as described above.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and had two rounds of interviews. The first round took place over the phone and was a simple connect and roleplay scenario. After that I passed onto the second round which was conducted over Skype. They were quick and courteous with communicating with me over the phone and email. Overall just some basic background questions, being able to roleplay and do the job they asked, it all played out pretty easily and if you have had a job in sales or another client-facing job then it shouldn't be too difficult to get through each interview round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, all a matter of asking questions to responses. Just implement the feedback they provide during the roleplays and you should be golden if done the right way.   Answer Question

Received job offer from a company I had more interest in.