Yelp

Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated 20 Feb 2015
Updated 20 Feb 2015

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

First interview on phone, then meet two employees in person. Interview was professional, spent about 20 minutes with each individual. Did a couple role plays and general questions about backround. From the time of applying online to interview was one week. You will be making 60- 80 calls per day, looks like they have a comfortable working environment for this type of job .

Interview Questions
    • Ask about a time almost gave up and then ended up doing well.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online via their website. The process took about two weeks. Pretty quick considering the amount of applicants they must be receiving. Long story short, got an email from them asking for availability, provided my available time, confirmed with their HR for the interview, and did a phone interview with HR Coordinator. Nothing Special. Just a typical poking-type interview

Interview Questions
    • Fairly basic questions; notorious role play (Sell Yelp to this pizza place that's passed on the appointment three times in past 2 weeks).   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I initially applied for the position online, which only required a resume and a cover letter. They did specify on the website that they wanted the cover letter to be useful, funny and smart. I was then contacted less than 24 hours later via email for a phone interview. They give you specific time slots and ask you which one works for you. The whole process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some initial personality questions, and then I was asked to discuss a time that I had competed for something and lost. I was also asked to role play leaving a voicemail for a company that has already ignored your call three times. It doesn't really matter how well you do initially, they just want to see how you implement their feedback. I was also asked why I was passionate about sales and what I knew about Yelp as a company, and about the specific position of Account Executive.   Answer Question

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

First, I had a phone interview where they asked basic behavioral questions. We also had a basic role play. The interviewer was very nice and engaging. She told me on the phone that I was going to have a second round interview. The second round interview was in person and I had two role plays with two different people. I was asked to try to pitch Yelp to the person. It was very important to implement the feedback from the first interviewer. Then I attended a webinar

Interview Questions
    • Role play question - leave a voicemail for a business   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview first. There was a scheduling error on their end day of, which was quite frustrating since I didn't plan to clear out my entire day just to wait for their call, and they just assumed I'd be available. That being said, the actual interview itself was fine. The interviewer was nice and engaging. She told me at the end of the interview that I had made it to the next round, which turned out to be 2 sales managers interviewing me in person at the location in SF.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview that was about 15 minutes long. The questions were typical interview questions for the most part. At the end, there was a role-play scenario that involved leaving a voice message for a pizza business that had been avoiding your calls. The person who interviewed me was rude and did not seem to know what they were doing.

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and a recruiting team immediately reached out to me via e-mail letting me know that my application was approved by the team and that they wanted to do a 15 minute interview with me on the phone. They gave me some options of when I could do the 15 minute interview but I chose the earliest one possible to get the ball rolling ASAP. The phone interview is very casual and basically just asks you why you want the job, what you know about position you're applying for, what is your background, etc.

After the phone interview, an in-person interview follows (if they like your phone interview, of course) which typically lasts for 45 minutes to 1 hour but mine lasted for a little bit over an hour. Mine was scheduled 2 days after the phone interview because that was the soonest they had available. Don't worry! If you're out of state or for some reason not able to go to their local office, they are very flexible and actually accommodate everyone with a Skype interview which is what I did. This portion of the interview process is the hardest and most difficult (if you're not prepared). The night before my interview, I didn't get a wink of sleep because of anxiety. About 5-10 minutes before the actual interview, someone will call you to make sure you're properly connected to their skype and that everything is good to go. Unlike what I had expected, I only had 2 interviewers instead of 3. This actually made more sense to me. It made it more concise and to the point.

My interviewers were very personable and nice so it made a lot easier to be myself around them. Like I said above, this part of the interview process can either really kick your butt or separate you from the rest of the candidates because it's mostly role play. They want to know how you can perform in a cold calling setting and then implement feedback. The most important thing to remember is to never take no for an answer and keep being persistent. Also, close the deal!! Sometimes you can get caught up with trying to sell your product that you end up not closing the deal and setting up an appointment with the store owner. I highly advice everyone to do a lot of role plays with a friend or family. This really helped me prepare and kill some nerves.

After the in person interview they won't tell you anything definitive. They'll say that the recruiting team will reach out to you for more information. I received an e-mail the next day from the recruiting team to get my background check done and also to set up a date for a webinar that will detail the training program and compensation potential within the company. Tomorrow is my webinar date so I'm excited to see what it's all about. I am still not sure if I got the job or not because this is technically still part of the interview process but I have a good feeling that I wouldn't have gone this far if they didn't see a potential in me. :)

Interview Questions
    • What is the one thing you wanted to give up on but decided to stick to in the end.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Pretty easy overall. Very nice interviewer, and got an offer at the end of the phone conversation to move on to the next round (skype) Asked aboue sales background, and a difficult situation.

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Not much to say because it was so easy - 2 interviews, one on Skype, one webinar, one phone role play. No in person interview which was great. I was a referral.

Interview Questions
    There was none. Salary as is.