Yelp

Getting the Interview

211 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details I met with recruiters at the career fair at our school. They seemed extremely friendly and welcoming so I walked up to them and chit-chatted a bit. A few days later, I got an invitation to apply online for the position and went through that whole process. I had an initial phone interview that lasted about 10-15 minutes. The initial questions asked were mainly Why Sales? Why Yelp? and a role-play where I had to secure a meeting with a small business. Honestly, the interviewer didn't seem very pleasant at all and left me thinking that Yelp may not be for me but I got passed on to the next round which was a Skype interview with 3 different managers at Yelp. The other 3 were definitely more welcoming and I had a great interview process with them so don't be discouraged. Each interviewer asked me to do a role-play. The first one was to secure a meeting, the second one was to convince a business that is devoted to print advertising to switch to online advertising and the third one was to sell a product that I personally love.

They're all going to give you feedback and you're expected to learn quickly and adapt and the second time you go through it make sure you remember everything they told you and apply apply apply. They also asked questions like:
- How do you handle rejection?
- What do you do if you're not performing the way you expected and you're in the last week of the training program?
- How do you deal with stress?
- You're going to be calling people day in and day out and it's not going to be the most exciting work, what makes you interested in doing high-volume sales?

After the Skype interviews, there is a follow up call with the recruiter which was about 30 min and it's basically their chance to let you know that if all goes well with the background check you got the job. She asked me how I think the interview went, the type of feedback they told me during the interviews, how comfortable I felt with the role plays and she also went through the comments that the managers wrote down during our interviews which is a great way for you to see what you did right and wrong. The company is extremely transparent and is always letting you know everything up front. During the follow-up call, I asked more specifics about salary, stock options, relocation and other benefits and everything was laid out and very straightforward.

Interview Question – What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it's a training program and entry-level there is no negotiating happening. They do offer a $1000 relocation bonus to help you get settled in the new state.

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp in April 2014.

Interview Details The first phone interview is swift. You'll be asked: what do you know about us and the product we're offering; what do you know about what this position entails; why sales; why sales at Yelp. Any comment I made about myself, she called me on- wanted me to prove it. Then finally she explains the position and perks, which are exactly as they're listed on the job posting and then tells you if you're moving forward or not.

Interview Question – You said you have good interpersonal skills- prove it; tell me about a situation in which you employed them successfully.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied on Yelp's Career section and heard back within 6 hours to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was basic and quick. Why Yelp? What is Yelp to you? How would you sell Yelp to a customer/client? After that, I was offered a interview with 3 managers at the San Francisco, CA location.

Due to traveling, I did a skype interview. First and third interviewers were pleasant and conversational. Second interviewer not so much, she seemed disinterested and didn't really provide feedback. More or less it was a "why didn't you do this, ask that" type of feedback. Not quite sure how that was supposed to help me, but okay.

Each interview entailed a mock phone call. Get past the "gatekeeper" and make an appointment, close the sale, and convince a client that Yelp is better than another form of advertising they chose.

Interview Question – Mock phone calls were a bit tricky, but nothing to difficult.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Talked with a recruiter, then on campus interview (which ended up being rescheduled for over the phone because the weather was horrible outside). then Skype interview with 3 managers.
The phone interview seemed super casual and not comparable to any other phone interview ive had. It was more like a casual conversation (however, I had friends who interviewed as well and said their phone interview was more "interview" like)
the skype interview was so rediculous. I waited 25 minutes on skype and they seemed so unprepared. One manager i could tell had her cell phone in her lap the whole time, had absolutely no eye contact and yawned! they made me role play to try and get an appt (manager who made me do that was super rude given the fact that I told her I had minimum sales experience, given this is an entry level position)
I also had to try to sell a product I believe in.

Interview Question – what is something that your friends and family would say about you that you don't think is true?   Answer Question

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details The first interview was a general behavioral phone interview basically asking you to tell them everything they needed to know about you in 90 seconds, why you think you'd be a good fit/ why you want to do cold calling etc. The second interview was a skype interview with three different interviewers. The first one you had to cold call a business and get past the "gatekeeper" the second one was closing the sale and the third one you had to sell something. They give you feedback in each role play and want to see you apply what they said and be able to constructively implement it.

Interview Question – what is something your friends or family would say about you that you don't necessarily agree with   Answer Question

Account Executive
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied through LinkedIn and within a couple days was contacted via email that they wanted to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview was a very basic series of questions about my background, "why sales", "why Yelp" and things of that nature. I got through that interview and the next step was an on-site interview. The office is loud, with music playing, and a lot of young employees working the phones. I was taken into a conference room by an HR person who gave me a lowdown of what was to ensue. There was 3 rounds of interviewers and role playing. I felt like I was at a Pokemon gym, getting through each round and finally to the gym leader. The first round was a really nice guy who asked me some basic questions and then a role play. The role play was basically me calling a business and getting an appointment with them. He said I did well and got the appointment (role play appointment, not a real one). His only criticism was to be a bit more assertive. Round 2, I was greeted by a woman, and asked similar questions. The role play was to close a deal with a business selling them an ad package. I didn't think I did as well as she made it out to be and felt a bit flustered at one point, but she said I did great so I'm not complaining. The final boss I had to face was, as expected, the most difficult. She wasn't as nice and smiley as the first two, but she was by no means unpleasant. I guess she just didn't seem as enthusiastic or impressed, but this could simply be her demeanor. We got into the role play rather quickly, and I had to try to sell her "a product I was passionate about". CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU KNOW INSIDE AND OUT. I must stress this. Whoever the interviewer will be I can guarantee will be very resistant. I chose my juicer. Her feedback was that I knew the product well, but need to show a little more passion about it. To conclude the interview she asked me why they should consider hiring me, what makes me stand out, etc... You know the deal with these ubiquitous, generic interview questions. All in all, the interview wasn't too difficult, but not a breeze. Be prepared for the role plays, be yourself, and don't panic. Most of the employees there, including the interviewers, had no sales experience initially, so don't worry if you make some minor mistakes and get a little criticism like I did. I was told I'd be emailed in 3-5 business days. I received it in one and was told by a senior recruiter that she wanted to set up a half hour phone call to talk more about the position, if I'm interviewing with other companies, and what the next steps would be. This means they are interested in hiring you. This isn't another interview, it's really just to see how interested you are in the position and to decide if you'd like to accept their offer and commence with the training program. Good luck!

Interview Question – What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.

Interview Question – Role play I found somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Applied online, heard back in a week. Phone interview was really short. Was very noisy in the background and didn't leave room for me to ask questions.

Interview Question – Why sales?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details Initial phone interview, in person role plays, follow up call

Interview Question – What is something your friends and family say about you that is off mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Had an interview over the phone. Was asked some general questions about the company and the role I was applying for. Pretty straight forward interview. Was never given an offer but I hear it is a good company to begin your sales career at.

Interview Question – How would you sell our service to a customer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp Account Executive interview questions and advice. All 211 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees and interview candidates.