Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated 11 Sep 2014
Updated 11 Sep 2014

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Junior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

They bring you in a room and three different interviewers come in one at a time. They do a role play as well as ask behavioral questions. The role play they want you to first try to just make an appointment with a business owner- they want you to ask questions then be assertive with setting a date and time. The second role play they want you to convince a business owner to use yelp even though they say they don't have money. Again, ask open ended questions. Third role play they ask you to sell them anything you're passionate about.

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

I had one phone screening and then an in-person interview with two people. The phone screening was odd, as the person on the phone talked very fast, to the point where I barely got a word in for the first half of it. For the in-person meeting, I was told to come no more than 10 minutes early, but being that I don't live in the city it's difficult to perfectly plan my arrival time. I entered the building about 11 or 12 minutes early instead, and was not on the doorman's list. It was awkward and annoying that I had to call up to be let in. Yelp seemed like a big play pen geared toward newly graduated college students; this might be perfect for some, but it was not what I was looking for. Over-played pop music was blasting, and the person who greeted me kind of walked away so I again felt awkward and on my own as I was signing in. The first person that interviewed me was really awesome, made me feel at ease, and truly listened to my responses - I genuinely liked him as a person. The second person that interviewed me seemed bored and detached (including as I was answering questions), said she hated the questions but had to ask them, and said whoever was selected for the position would have "big shoes to fill." Although it wasn't said in a catty or mean way, it sounded unprofessional. Moreover, I was unsure of what they based their selection off of if recruiters hated the interview questions and only half-listened... Overall, it was a fine experience. I think my issue was more that I did not fit with their culture, which seemed young and unaware of best practices. Recruitment seemed more about numbers than about anything strategic at Yelp. I decided it was not a fit for me, so I was not upset to hear that I got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of "what would you do" and "how would you respond" situational questions. Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Account Executive Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

The first interview was a 15-minute phone conversation in which I was asked very pointed situational questions. I was moved onto the next round, which was in their NYC corporate office and I met with 3 different sales managers. Each manager asked to do a role play, and would then ask what the previous manager had given me as feedback. They make it clear that this is a cold-calling sales position and you are on the phone 24/7. It seems to be a very supportive and laid back work environment, and if successful, can move through the ranks fairly quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you ran for something and lost - why did you think you lost?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
    A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

AE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Yelp.

You will meet with 3 managers. They are interviewing often throughout the week and so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Basically just show you have a personality and that you are confident you can do the job. Recruiters have quotas too.

Interview Questions
    • The better you are at thinking on your feet the more you prove you deserve the job. So I'm not going to give you this one.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. You are paid what you're paid and if you keep pushing you make commission.

Sales Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp.

I was referred by a friend and was extended a phone interview the same week. I was invited to interview onsite less than a week after the phone interview. The office is large and VERY chaotic with about 60 visible sales execs. I was sat in a conference room and was visited separately by three different managers. They were all nice, but all seemed unprepared for the interview. They were dressed so casual that I felt self-conscious for wearing a suit. In fact, I felt like dressing formally actually hurt my chances of getting the job. Anyway, everyone I spoke to seemed eager to resume whatever it was they were doing before I showed up. It was actually pretty rude how indiscreet they were about checking the time. It was clear that I probably wasn't going to get it long before I left.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were new and were asked to do an urgent task that you didn't know how to do, how would you go about doing it?"   View Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Applied through the company website. Received a follow up email for a phone interview 2 days later. Easy 15 minute phone call asking about experiences. They will give you the topics you will need to know the basics of; knowledge of yelp, ad product they offer local business owners, why are you interested in high volume cold calling. Very friendly person doing the interview. I received a second interview, but chose not to follow up on. Realized I did not want a career in sales.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions about how your experience will relate to high volume cold calls. How will you deal with the fluctuations of the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

The other posts on the interview for the account executive position were very accurate. I had an initial phone screening and was invited in to the New York office for a face to face interview. Overall everyone in the office was very nice and it seemed like a fun place to work. There were interviews with three managers lasting about ten minutes each. General behavioral questions that you need to answer in the STAR format and also questions asking what you would do in specific situations in the office or on the phone with a potential client. Each of the managers had me do a role play and after giving me advice let me try it again. Also, the second and third managers will ask you how your previous interviews went- be sure to remember the advice from your previous role plays because they may ask about it. Be sure to take their advice and really don't be afraid to really push to sell their product. They want to see your enthusiasm and ability to take criticism and use it to improve on your performance. Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

interviewed at Yelp in June 2014.

Process took a month. Applied online through job website. First phone call basic questions. 3 role plays scenario. Very organized structure seemed uninterested because they use the same organization for all clients.

Interview Questions
    • If you are under quota with amount of calls what would you do?   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!