eBay Inc. Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
346 interviews

3.1

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

first round - online test - multiple choice aptitude (1 hour) - permutations, probability, work and time, speed distance, relantionships, trains
    second round - technical and projects (two - three rounds)
    third round - hr and technical

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

The interview and hiring process was very well done and very fast. After a few 1-2 hour phone calls they gave me the offer. They have over 400 interns throughout all of eBay (Marketplaces, PayPal, Magento, Braintree and Venmo, Enterprise, Stubhub, etc.) and so you enter with a class of about 50-100 students. Everybody is very smart and from a very good university or college. They are mostly looking for PHD's and Master's students. Also, so many students apply that you will probably need at least some sort of connection.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview was spent on my previous work and what I had created. They asked specifically about projects that I had worked on with a team.   Answer Question
    The salary is not negotiable. However, you will find that to be just fine because the pay is about as high as it gets. Also they give you incredible housing (instead of just a stipend where you have to go and find your housing and somehow furnish an apartment) as well as fund your travel expenses.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Calicut, Kerala (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Calicut, Kerala (India)

The interviewer was really cool. The company as a whole is cool. They want people who knows data structures and thorough knowledge on programming. He asked me to write a code on printing the duplicates in an array of 20 nos. I was supposed to use data structures I guess but I did it another way. I am a ECE student and I was not well aware of data structure stuff and all. Still the interview was pretty comfy and I enjoyed it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Had 2 interview rounds, was asked questions/programs in Java (Collections, Multithreading, OO concepts) , Data-Structures (Stack and Queue), Design Patterns (Singleton), SQL, C++. More questions about my previous work experience, school projects.
    Both were telephonic rounds.

Interview Questions
    • If I mark an arraylist as final, can i add more elements to it?   View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

4 people interview, extremely difficult. I went in and the first guy asked me behavioural questions designed to dig into my work ethic and whether id be a good fit

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at eBay Inc..

After I applied online, I was contacted by a HR. Then she helped to arranged two phone interviews. In the phone interview, I was asked to write code online. The first phone interview is easy but the second is difficult.

Editor Interview

I found their handling of the initial application process very unprofessional. I did a two-hour screening test for eBay. It was administered in Germany for a job based in the UK. I was initially asked to do the test between 8am and 6pm within 2 days of asking, despite the fact that I was working at the time. I was able to rearrange it for the evening.

The woman administering the test kept me waiting for half an hour from the agreed start time for the two hour timed test, which they emailed to me.

They never sent even a form rejection after the test, despite my taking the time to arrange to do a two-hour test at short notice. Even when I emailed (politely!) to follow up, they never bothered with the courtesy of a reply.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through university program and there was 1 written round in which 40 questions were there.20 aptitude and 20 technical.Aptitude ques were very good and technical ques include ds,algo,c++ and java questions.

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, then a phone interview with two senior Android Engineers. Questions ranged from very basics of Android to advanced concepts like caching, thread pooling and Asyn Tasks (with some tricky questions). Received a call after 2 days to come for their final onsite interview. 5 F2F interviews. Each round was for 45 minutes.

Round 1 - Two Senior Android Devs [Android and Data Structures]
    Round 2 - Two Senior QA team members [Andorid QA Test Cases]
    Round 3 - Android Development Manager and Lead Andorid Developer (Lunch) [Past experience and some technical Android dev questions]
    Round 4 - Three Android Developers from the Android team [Data Structures and Algorithms]
    Round 5 - Software Developer and Product Manager [java concepts and HR]

Thee whole interviewing team was great and the process went very smoothly. The interviewers were really helpful while helping me solve the problems they asked. Great team and the credits must go to my recruiter and the Andorid development manager who managed the whole process from start to finish. I was just done with this interview very recently. The reason I am not expecting an offer is because I terribly screwed my 4th round and was stuck at a single question the whole round. I was not satisfied with myself, rest all rounds went fine. I am not expecting an offer though, if I get one, I would be the happiest person alive :) as Android is my passion. But yes, sadly I am not expecting anything. Will try again !!!!

Interview Questions
    • Simple Data Structure Questions with interesting twists in them, I wish I had brushed up my DS before I went.   View Answer

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!