The Best Technology Job
Why Work at Cobalt
As a premiere automotive digital marketing firm, Cobalt hires the best of the best. As an applicant, this means you have your pick of places to work-why should you choose us? Read on to find out what makes Cobalt one of the best gigs around.
- Taking the "aarrgh!" out of car shopping. Cobalt was founded on a pretty simple idea: What if car-shopping were enjoyable? Job security, we know. But joking aside, there is something inspiring about taking one of the most historically painful shopping experiences and making it better. We create the most sophisticated technology around to eradicate traditional car-shopping pains from every angle, whether that's aiding the customer experience by increasing dealership reviews, creating greater pricing transparency, or faciltiating a more powerful and intuitive user experience online.
- Never a dull millisecond, let alone a dull moment. As the digital vendor of choice for the 16 billion dollar automotive industry, Cobalt has a daily atmosphere of palpable excitement. Working exclusively with the world’s top car brands, like Volkswagen, Kia and General Motors, means always being on the forefront of your industry.
- Be part of a historical partnership. From The Super Bowl to Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, from Volkswagen's “Think Small” campaign in 1959 to the beloved Kia Hamsters of today, advertising and automotive have always been inextricably linked. Together, they create some of the most exciting, memorable, and innovative advertising campaigns of all time. Currently, our client General Motors is the third largest advertising player in the world. At Cobalt, we provide the digital engine that makes the world’s best creative campaigns tick.
At Cobalt, you can make a difference from day one. From our office-free environment, to our colorful teaming areas, to the spirited discussions heard daily among employees of every level, one thing sets us apart: great ideas win, and they can come from anywhere.
We run on reason, not red tape. If you can make a case, you can make a change, and we’re looking for people who care enough to do both. Simply put?
If you’ve got it, bring it.
When you work at Cobalt, you get every job-hunter’s dream combo: agility and stability. Because Cobalt was purchased by ADP in 2010, our employees enjoy the freedom of a startup with the resources of a renowned global company. As the fun, hip digital marketing arm of an established global powerhouse, our employees enjoy the fast-paced, creative environment that gets them out of bed in the morning, along with the job security to sleep well at night.
You can’t quite feel the Puget Sound ocean spray on your skin, but the dazzling blue views from Cobalt HQ are about as close as you can get. At almost any time, you can see the Olympics and Cascades mountain ranges, watch the Great Wheel rotate on Seattle’s waterfront, or hear the roar of sports fans from CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field.
Cobalt’s headquarters at 605 Union Station was carefully selected for myriad convenient transportation options, a thousand eateries right outside your door, and a state-of-the-art fitness center on the ground level.
A Sampling of Cobalt Activities
- Weekly Cheer Thirty where the company mingles together for conversation and appetizers
- Free Bagel Fridays
- Annual St. Patrick’s Day Party
- Halloween Costume Contests
- Annual Cobalt golf tournament
- Outings to Gameworks, Mariners Games, Teatro Zinzanni and much more
Employees enjoying an advanced screening of Harry Potter at Cinerama
Working at Cobalt is about more than just a paycheck. Cobalt employees enjoy the health, safety, and security they need to provide for their families, enrich their lives, and enjoy discounts that make daily life a little better. Cobalt Employees receive:
- Health, medical, dental, vision, and retirement
- Prepaid ORCA Card for local transportation
- Discounted membership for onsite gym
- Exclusive ADP Discount Program for electronics, travel, local restaurants, entertainment and more
- Tuition Reimbursement and Scholarship Program
- Real Estate Services and Relocation Assistance
One of the big differentiators about Cobalt is that we’re a company that really cares. We care about doing a great job at work, we care about our fellow team members, and we care about delivering delight to our clients on a daily basis. This caring attitude extends to our community as well.
Each year, Cobalt sponsors Days of Caring, enabling associates to take a paid day off to volunteer for a local non-profit. These opportunities are generally offered on a quarterly basis, and include outreach opportunities at many worthy organizations.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Lifelong Aids Alliance
- Northwest Harvest
- Nature Conservancy
- Seattle Children’s Theatre
- Solid Ground
- Woodland Park Zoo
- And many more…
What's to love about becoming a Developer at Cobalt? Many things! Let us the count them down for you.
10. You can probably beat most of us at bowling or pool at the Garage.
9. You really want to develop responsive parallax websites, but can't find anybody who is actually working on it.
8. Our company anniversary is on St. Paddy's Day, and the beer isn't always green!
7. Your kids will be able to spot your office on the way to the Sounders game.
6. We're growing like crazy and ADP has a better credit rating than Apple, Berkshire Hathaway or the U.S. Government.
5. You can relax before your interview by reading about driving a 240-mph Bugatti.
4. You may have worked on cool websites, but can you say you've worked on 10,000 websites?
3. We're close enough to Union Station to have an awesome commute, but not so close that it feels like a quake zone.
2. You've always wanted to say, "I love the sight of Mt. Olympus in the morning."
1. You feel the energy and enthusiasm of a start-up culture, while enjoying the stability of working for a renowned, global company.
1 person found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than 5 yearsPros
There's a fun culture, a push to make people feel engaged, and a lot of development happening quickly. Supporting agile development is awesome and exciting. The people make this place.Cons
Unfortunately, a lot of the engagement programs don't have any follow-through. It's a lot of talk. There's a definite pay gap, too - toil away for years and meager (max 4% per year, only earned if you never go home) raises will put you behind new hires. Sometimes new hires under you. This is my main gripe, honestly. They don't reward loyalty -- but if you leave for money and come back in 8-12 months, they'll pay up (which is so backwards!). And don't even think about asking your boss for more or even a salary discussion - they reprimand or blacklist anyone who brings it up. It's very tough to feel like you're underpaid and not know how to fix it.Advice to ManagementAdvice
Pay experienced hard workers! Reward loyalty! Stop making people in Services (AA, Tech Support, Ops) leave and come back to make what they're worth.Doesn't RecommendNeutral OutlookNo opinion of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cobalt.Interview Details
I was contacted and interviewed by a recruiter. I was then given a skills test to be judged by management. After passing that I was interviewed in person by two of the team supervisors and department manager. After that I was offered a position and then handed off to an ADP hiring manager or specialist who processed my background check. Total process took 4 to 5 weeks.Interview Questions
Negotiation DetailsIf they make an offer, be a stickler on your asking price.Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
- Where do you see as the next big trend in SEO? Answer Question
Simply put, Cobalt is the best-kept secret in the technology industry. Why? Although we deal in the same advanced digital marketing capabilities employed by household brands, we are a secret due to our unique niche-automotive. Our unique sector is also our greatest asset. Unlike other software jobs out there that create abstract things for abstract purposes, work at Cobalt...
Mission: People buy cars, everyday. People shop for cars, everyday. We make the most exciting digital tools in any industry to help them do so, everyday. You should come do it...