Our people give only their very best. To make this possible, new employees receive extensive training, support and mentoring from our Partners and are encouraged to bring initiative and outside-the-box thinking to each engagement. They learn to approach each project with an open mind, apply sophisticated analysis, and let the data lead them and their teams to the insights and solutions that offer the greatest benefit for our clients.
A career at L.E.K. involves exposure to a wide range of industries, and opportunities to provide strategy, mergers & acquisitions, shareholder value management, operations & organization, and marketing & sales consulting to many of the world's foremost companies and organizations. Working at L.E.K. also means working alongside the brightest and highest achieving people, helping our clients ask the difficult questions and make the important decisions - together.
We recruit only the best and brightest from leading graduate and undergraduate programs, and from successful careers in industry - providing opportunities to work with exceptional peers and leading companies.
Helping business leaders make informed decisions
L.E.K. is a global strategy consulting firm with offices across Europe, the Americas and Asia-Pacific. We counsel our clients on their key strategic issues, leveraging our deep industry expertise and using analytical rigor to help them make informed decisions more quickly and solve their toughest and most critical business problems.
Founded in London in 1983 by three partners, we now employ more than 1,000 professionals worldwide. We advise and support global companies that are leaders in their industries.
Companies come to us because they know we offer the knowledge, insight and guidance they need to move forward with confidence. Our consultants deliver world-class and rigorous analysis, deep knowledge of their industries, and pragmatic solutions to produce practical, high-impact results – quickly.
Whether it's a global pharmaceutical company evaluating its strategy in the face of an impending revenue “cliff” from loss of patent exclusivity on key products; an airline seeking new revenue sources in a challenging de-regulated industry; or a global footwear company repositioning its brands, our clients rely on L.E.K. to help them meet their toughest challenges, and take advantage of their biggest opportunities.
L.E.K. provides a comprehensive range of capabilities around the globe, including Strategy, Shareholder Value Management, Mergers & Acquisitions support, Operations & Organization and Marketing & Sales. We have deep expertise and a proven track record in a broad range of industries:
- Aerospace & Defense
- Aviation & Travel
- Biopharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Building Materials & Industrial Products
- Business Services
- Consumer Products
- Energy & Environment
- Financial Services
- Healthcare Services
- Media, Entertainment & Technology
- Natural Resources
- Private Equity
- Public Sector
- Surface Transport & Logistics
When you join L.E.K., you take the first step toward accelerating your career as a business leader. We invest heavily in the career development of every consulting professional at L.E.K. and give frequent, individual feedback. But results are what count, and the record of success is impressive:
- Our training program is developed to prepare our staff for success at L.E.K. and onward
- Associates enter and excel in the top business schools and other top graduate programs worldwide
- Those who choose to leave L.E.K. are recruited by large corporations, private equity firms and start-ups, and quickly advance to senior positions
The professional experience, training and mentoring we offer to our consulting professionals create a springboard to advancement and partner status, as well as other future endeavors.
Quality of Professional Experience
All of our business strategy development, M&A and value management services involve formulating and delivering advice on the toughest, highest value issues our clients face. Our consulting professionals are exposed to the big picture and senior executive challenges and how to meet them. Our focus is on solving tough issues rather than implementing processes.
Variety of Work
Staff is allocated to a wide range of projects, and our cases average about 4-8 weeks in length. The result is that our professionals are continually exposed to new industries and new challenges. There is no better or faster way to develop strategy consulting and business leadership skills. In addition to typical casework, we offer select opportunities to broaden experience through international assignment and client engagements.
Our unique structure, two Associates for each Consultant, gives every team member significant responsibility. Consultants have management responsibility from day one with the opportunity to test hypotheses with data and analysis, and to generate understanding and insight faster and further. Associates have immediate responsibility to get the facts and analysis right and, as they gain experience, become increasingly involved in guiding the analytical progress of a case and the efforts of more junior team members.
You will have frequent interactions with the Partners who spend 70% of their time delivering casework and ensuring the overall quality of advice. This presents an unparalleled opportunity to challenge your thinking and develop commercial judgment.
Training begins on the first day of employment with an orientation designed to provide employees with an initial introduction to the firm and with the tools necessary for on-going success.
On-the-job experience is supplemented by regular training sessions, tailored to the needs of your position. Ongoing courses cover detailed technical topics relating directly to work as well as wider topics of general business interest and education. The objectives of these courses are to:
- Provide knowledge and skills required in the practice of strategy consulting
- Reinforce consistent and high standards in the execution of our work
- Keep the firm in the forefront of methodological and conceptual development
- Provide opportunities for professional and personal development
Each office provides a mentoring program specific to the needs of its staff. Each new employee is assigned a mentor who helps guide the employee through day-to-day project challenges and career decisions.
Our dynamic work environment, with its emphasis on teamwork, flexibility, and creative thinking, reflects the traits we value:
- Intelligence: to race up new learning curves; to understand and be motivated by complex problems; to strive for fresh insight
- Honesty: to be straight on the facts; to adhere to the highest professional standard at all time; to maintain strict confidentiality and be open about what we know and don't know
- Diligence: to deliver the highest quality product, to never stop challenging and questioning, to respond to clients' needs
- Employee-Driven: a variety of case initiatives, responsibility and a mix of employee-directed social and community efforts
- Collaborative: to share facts and insights; to collaborate, to interact effectively with different personalities and cultures
- Ownership: we expect people to be collaborative, but in the end get the credit for and take responsibility for their work and findings
- Personable: to keep the pressures of uncertainty and complexity in perspective; to keep ego in check; to be respectful of others and enjoy the work place
Our work force is diverse, representing over 30 nationalities. We're a company with rich, wide-ranging and rewarding opportunities for new recruits to learn, gain experience and advance.
We recognize that success requires teamwork. All partners spend over 70 percent of their time working with Consultants and Associates to deliver client projects. We celebrate team successes, encourage our employees to get to know one another, and foster a sense of camaraderie by hosting numerous in-house and off-site events.
L.E.K. is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace in which men and women of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions and sexual orientation are respected and valued. Our global workforce is diverse, representing a range of professional and personal backgrounds and over 30 nationalities. We strive to make L.E.K. a company in which all individuals have an opportunity to excel regardless of their background, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
As part of our commitment, we actively engage in diversity recruitment through partnerships with a variety of organizations and events. For example, we are a corporate partner with The Consortium, and attend events with MBA Jumpstart, Reaching Out and sponsor multiple activities through campus clubs and organizations. We continually look to expand our participation and outreach to further enhance our diversity efforts.
In addition, L.E.K. has established The L.E.K. Women's Network, an internal organization created to develop and retain female employees and enable them to become future leaders at L.E.K. and beyond. Through this network, all female staff have the opportunity to connect to other women in the L.E.K. community through both formal and informal activities, including our Women's Network mentoring program.
In the U.S., L.E.K. has recently become one of a small number of consulting organizations to expand the value of our benefits for same-sex domestic partners by now covering the additional tax paid to the IRS by employees with same-sex domestic partner health insurance coverage. Our organization is providing this benefit to ensure those staff with same-sex domestic partners are provided with the same equal benefits as our married employees who cover their opposite-sex spouses under the firm’s health plans.
L.E.K. recognizes that outstanding, talented people come from all walks of life, providing different perspectives and solutions to complex problems. Diversity contributes to a stronger and more dynamic team environment. The diversity among our employees makes L.E.K. a better place to work and allows us to meet the needs of our clients at the highest quality.
L.E.K. Consulting Photos
2 people found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at L.E.K. Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)Pros
- Excellent training ground: L.E.K. has what can loosely be considered a 3-year training program. At the associate entry level (first 1-2 years) you pick up core quantitative skills (financial modelling) and qualitative skills (primary/secondary research, analysis and synthesis of information). At the AC/SAC level, you will pick up very valuable high-level strategic/commercial thinking and problem solving skills. AC/SACs will also take on junior management responsibilities. It's a lot to learn in 3 years but there's typically pretty good support from senior team members as this progression is pretty well-ingrained
- Generalist approach (apart from life sciences specialists): I was there for a bit over 3 years and worked on over 22 projects across a large number of industries. I worked on projects in technology, media, general industrials, healthcare, pharma, and private equity.
- Swap (L.E.K.'s 6 month international secondment program): I was able to swap to both New York and London. This isn't typical but it was possible because the Partners are supportive of the swap program.
- People: Everyone is very very bright. Fantastic place to learn from very analytical and very commercially savvy consultants, managers, and partners. Most people are also generally down-to-earth and very approachable.
- Business school: L.E.K. are supportive of those wishing to pursue an MBA and have a good track record of alum getting into the top schools, both in the US and Europe. The firm also sponsors (cover tuition fees and a living stipend).
- Exit opportunities: Exit opportunities in the UK as well as Australia are very comparable with MBB. Successful placement in blue-chip corporate strategy is common. PE opportunities are also a plus given transaction work has traditionally been a big L.E.K. strength.
- Other: There is less travel than other consulting firms, which 1) allows for better work/life balance and 2) creates a tight-knit culture especially at the junior levels. This may be changing as the firm moves into more strategy activation/project implementation and management work.
Overall, this was the best first job to have out of university (same can be said of other top strategy consulting firms). I had previously interned in a large investment bank but had nowhere near the same level of exposure to high-level strategy and commercial issues, which (in my opinion anyway) is ultimately what's most important.Cons
- Uneven quality of senior management: Some posts have alluded to very negative experiences with people at the partner-level (especially in London). I would sympathise with some of those comments but I would say that from my own experience, those negative experiences are generally the exception, not the rule. It's true that Partners who are poor managers can make a huge difference to team morale and the quality of the experience on the project. Having been on the negative side of this experience before, it's very unpleasant when your time is being wasted in an entirely avoidable way. It's clearly something the firm is trying hard to get right (especially in London) which is encouraging. However, it's not there yet so there is still the off chance you will be staffed on a project which is not being managed well and the job feels like a terrible chore for that period of time.
- "Luck of the draw" project staffing: I want to preface this by saying that I suspect this is the same at many other consulting firms as well. Project allocation can come down to luck, although you can influence the type of project you want to be staffed on to some extent. This can result in being staffed on projects in industries you have absolutely no interest in or on projects with Partners that are bad to work for.
- Low-key brand internationally: Although exit opportunities are comparable to MBB, MBB alum definitely have higher visibility so you may need to work a little harder to get the quality of your experience across to headhunters, recruiters and even business school admissions officers.Advice to ManagementAdvice
More emphasis on managing time and junior staff well to create a universal culture of respect for everyone's time and efforts. This means planning projects more carefully and in some cases adapting work styles. Some managers and partners do this very well and it's obvious who they are because people want to work with and for them. Ask any associate and I guarantee you will get consistent answers about who is good and who is bad. I would encourage those partners and managers who are consistently good to push this on others.
Culture should be used to help attract and retain staff for longer and improve the quality of work (not to mention reducing the quantity of negative comments on influential sites like Glassdoor). Reading through Glassdoor, it's clear there is a level of dissatisfaction that doesn't seem to be true for a firm like Bain, which should say something about the impact culture can have.RecommendsNeutral OutlookNo opinion of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online – interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.Interview Details
Very streamlined and professional process. First round interview via Skype as I am from neither Sydney or melbourne. Final round in Sydney with flights and accommodation generously provided. Feedback was provided very quickly, applicants notified of outcome within 48 hours of final interview.Interview Questions
No OfferDifficult Interview
- Discuss pros and cons of full service airline versus budget carrier. Answer Question
L.E.K. Consulting is a global strategy consulting firm comprised of the brightest and highest achieving people whose work has transformational impact on organizations that reach millions of people. At all levels, our staff have outstanding career development opportunities, taking on a wide range of roles with increasing complexity, responsibility, and exposure to clients. L.E.K.’s deep industry insight and global reach help our clients achieve tangible, high-impact results--and our people develop impactful solutions that enable and expedite our clients’ success.