Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve frontline productivity and profitability.
Our 500+ professionals in seven locations around the world provide our solutions in financial services, healthcare, capital markets, insurance, and beyond. We've been selected to receive the prestigious Frost & Sullivan Customer Value Award, designated a Gartner Cool Vendor in Analytics, ranked as the #2 pure-play Big Data company in the world by Wikibon, and cited in Data 2.0 Summit’s crowd-sourced list of the top 150 innovators in the cloud data space. We appear consistently at the top of the leaderboards of global scientific contests, including the Netflix Prize, the Heritage Healthcare Prize, and the KDD Cup. We recently placed first in the Personalize Expedia Hotel Searches contest, hosted by Kaggle, besting more than 300 of the world’s most accomplished data scientists.
Three core capabilities drive our success in the market:
Science. Our scientists represent one of the largest private-industry groups in the world specializing in machine learning. They have proven better at both extracting predictive Signals from Big Data and in using these Signals to build better performing models.
Technology. We build our predictive models to be efficient and to easily scale by automating repetitive tasks, allowing easy reuse of science, and supporting rapid migration from lab to production. Our Man + Machine approach turns complicated model output into easy-to-use prescriptive actions, allowing ordinary workers to perform at extraordinary levels.
Domain Expertise. Our consultants and domain experts focus on understanding business problems and ensuring our science and technology solve them. They come from the world’s most prestigious academic institutions and have years of experience in specific industries and functions.
These capabilities are manifest in the three types of solutions and services we offer:
Signal Hubs — Signal Hubs are packaged science and technology that allow organizations to easily extract and use predictive Signals from Big Data flows throughout their enterprises. Signal Hubs leverage Big Data and machine learning science at scale. Our scientists jumpstart the model-building process by working with frequently updated, high-quality Signals and insert their models directly into the production system. The result is a dramatic increase in the number of new use cases and significant productivity and performance gains from models built with better Signals. Signal Hubs are offered in custom and preconfigured versions and for specific use cases or multi-use cases.
Impact: Our Signal Hub is allowing one global transportation company is to bring new use cases on line in a matter of weeks. And the models built from its Signals are driving double-digit lifts in response rates. A custom Product Signal Hub for the largest shoe retailer in Asia has improved margins 5–10% through better forecasting at the local store level.
Signal Products — These solutions address the specific problems of selected industries and functional areas. We have developed solutions for healthcare, capital markets, marketing, procurement, and security & threat management. Each Point Solution has a proven track record in helping organizations reach new levels of productivity and profit performance.
Impact: Our hospital revenue leakage solution is finding an average of 25–75 bps of revenue — on top of existing solutions. Our Signalytics Spend Intelligence Suite is finding 10–20% savings opportunities in key categories while improving procurement professionals’ productivity. The SignalSensor platform has successfully identified threatening situations early enough for organizations to react: our intelligence allowed one company to move a meeting to avoid a violent protest.
Advanced Solutions — Enterprises recognize the potential of Big Data to transform their operations and competitive differentiation. Analytics Partnerships are long-term relationships focused on creating and accelerating deployment of Big Data analytics solutions. We offer our science, technology, and domain expertise to help accelerate progress and generate transformational breakthroughs.
Impact: Our ability to solve long-standing business problems with new methods drives notable gains. Our partnership with a financial services company resulted in initiatives that will create more than $100MM in annual EBIT over the next two years.
We work with the world’s leading systems integrators, Big Data technology, and enterprise software companies to enhance our offerings and bring our products to market. In particular, we are proud of our relationships with Oracle, QlikTech, and SAP.
Opera Solutions is a global team focused on creating Big Data science solutions that help people achieve extraordinary results. This is no simple feat. It requires individuals with top-notch skills and an unwavering passion for innovation. After all, we work on some of the world’s most complex data problems — every day.
Our team members are entrepreneurs at heart. Whether they’re machine learning scientists or visionary software developers, they begin each day with a commitment to help build a growing company at the forefront of the Big Data revolution. We’re looking for trailblazers willing to share their big ideas while making the most of their unique talents.
We know how to grow. Having started with only 10 people in 2004, we’re now a team of more than 500 employees worldwide. Each person has been handpicked for their dedication to excellence and their desire to conquer the unknown. It’s not for everyone. It’s for those who thrive on working with some of the best minds in the industry and stretching the boundaries of Big Data science.
At Opera Solutions, our culture is all about passion — passion for professional development, innovation, amateur athletics, social involvement, and philanthropy. At Opera Solutions, we make the most of what matters most to you. In addition to building innovative Big Data solutions, we also clean up local parks, participate in blood drives, paint schools, feed the hungry, volunteer our professional skills, and organize employee-led fundraisers that support local and global causes.
Opera Solutions Cares
Opera Solutions Cares is our volunteering and philanthropy group. Created in early 2011, it was first established in the New York and New Jersey offices, and subsequently team leaders in San Diego, Shanghai, New Delhi, London, and Boston expanded the group’s reach.
The group has two goals:
1. To provide a forum for employees to give back to their local communities through direct service volunteering events and support for employees’ fundraising efforts.
2. To help employees connect with colleagues to facilitate a sense of community at Opera Solutions.
Women in Business
Women professionals have unique experiences and challenges throughout their careers. The women of Opera Solutions founded Opera Women in Business (Opera WIB) to discuss relevant issues and support one another in their business lives. Today the group is global, with chapters in every office.
The women in our Shanghai office gather for a Women in Business event.
Opera WIB has two missions:
1. Mentoring: WIB supports orientation activities for new female hires, invites outstanding speakers to discuss their career progression and success tips, organizes internal panels to discuss relevant issues, participates in company-wide WIB conferences and other development activities.
2. Networking: The group organizes recreational activities to promote bonding within and across all offices. These include community outreach events, as well as social gatherings where women at all levels get to know one another in informal settings.
Athletics & Fitness
Opera Solutions sponsors a robust team athletics program, which includes volleyball, basketball, badminton, tennis, golf, dodge ball, soccer, and running. In addition, we have fully equipped gyms at our Jersey City, San Diego, and New Delhi offices.
We are always on the lookout for top minds entering and already in the industry. Opera Solutions recruits every summer at a variety of universities, including Colombia, Harvard, MIT, and UCLA. We’re looking for recent graduates with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business, science, software development, engineering, and other fields.
Put Science First
Science is at the core of everything we do. In fact, our scientists outnumber every other position at Opera Solutions. In addition, we have two chief operating officers — one who focuses on business operations and one who focuses on science. These two leaders ensure our business goals and scientific goals are always in sync.
You’ll find this parallelism echoed throughout the company, with each team consisting of its own dedicated scientist and business manager at the helm. Of course, we need more than scientists, too. Software developers, engineers, consultants, and project and product managers all help drive our solutions forward.
Work with a Global Team
Throughout four continents, Opera Solutions occupies seven offices. The headquarters are located just across the river from Downtown Manhattan in Jersey City, NJ. But we also have large offices in New Delhi and Shanghai. San Diego, Boston, London, and Köflach, Austria make up additional offices.
Each team is made up of members from around the globe. While this makes for some late-night and early-morning calls, it also makes for an enriched work experience with opportunities to travel or even live in another country for a period of time.
Share Ideas and Make a Difference
We also offer many opportunities in corporate departments such as HR, marketing, finance, and IT. Everyone at the company is encouraged to share ideas, offer insights, attend seminars, and participate in company challenges and events.
This is because above all, we’re looking for people with big ideas. Opera Solutions thrives on innovation. With a flat structure and easy access to key decision makers, we strive to go from idea to reality as quickly and as often as possible.
The learning doesn’t stop just because you’ve graduated. In fact, we’d argue it’s only just begun. Opera Solutions offers many opportunities to learn new skills and be immersed in new industries during your tenure here. We also provide a platform to try new ideas and take them to market.
Opera University is an active internal organization that provides seminars and webinars to all employees, regardless of their position in the company. These events, which usually take place on Friday afternoons, offer lessons in business, science, and software.
And new in 2014 is Opera University’s SignalSpotlight. This is an opportunity for teams to share what they’ve been working on, so other teams might benefit from their newfound strategies and technological advancements.
There’s always something new to learn at Opera U!
The Opera Open is an internal competition encouraging all employees to form a team and present their ideas and concepts to a team of judges. The presentations are scored by the judges and voted on by employees. The winning team receives a reward and — better yet — the chance to turn their idea into a real business solution.
We take this event quite seriously. Teams are assigned mentors to help them stay on track for each round of competition. They are encouraged to include colleagues from other continents, and the finalists are often flown in to our Jersey City headquarters for the final round. It’s an exciting time to be at Opera Solutions, and we’re always amazed with the ideas our employees come up with.
The Opera Open isn’t your only chance to compete at Opera Solutions. We frequently enter global analytics contests, such as the Expedia-sponsored Hotel Search contest, in which we took home first place.
And if you’d prefer competition of the more physical type, we have plenty of sports teams to join, including basketball, volleyball, and tennis. And of course, we’re open to new ones, too, so if shuffleboard is more your speed, by all means, start a team!
Writers at heart have an outlet at Opera Solutions. Employees can share their work, ideas, and knowledge in writing with other Opera Solutions employees — or the world.
Technical and Analytics Conference at Opera Solutions
Each spring, we host an internal conference called TACOS (Technical and Analytics Conference at Opera Solutions) in our San Diego office. Teams of scientists submit papers that describe their models, discoveries, and insights throughout the year. An internal panel of chief scientists judges these papers and selects the best ones for publication in our annual TACOS compilation. The winners are invited to present their papers in person at the TACOS proceedings. The TACOS papers are on display on mini billboards throughout the offices — and throughout the year — so all employees can celebrate and be reminded of our scientific breakthroughs on a regular basis.
If writing about algorithms, sentiment analysis, and ensemble models isn’t your thing, we also have Opera Solutions’ blog, SignalCentral. This corporate blog is a public-facing medium available for all Opera Solutions employees to share their insights, remark on current events, or explore ideas outside of our enterprise-focused solutions. It’s yet another opportunity for employees to grow their skillset, make a name for themselves, and be recognized on a global stage for their thought leadership. SignalCentral also serves as our premier medium for communicating with and educating the public on Big Data science.
Opera Solutions Photos
3 people found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)Pros
I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail:
1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool.
2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource.
3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers.
4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream.
5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder.
6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome.
7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better.
I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....Cons
No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are:
1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you.
2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used.
3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.Advice to ManagementAdvice
1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave.
2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons)
Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Interview Details
There was a resume shortlisting and then we had aptitude test followed by four interviews which consisted of Case Study + guess estimates + puzzles + questions on regression analysisInterview Questions
- Guess estimate Answer Question
Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to drive front-line productivity gains for industry and government. The company is an internationally recognized leader in machine learning. Opera Solutions combines this scientific expertise with the deep industry knowledge of its professionals in creating its Signal Hub™ technologies, which provide new enterprise-wide capabilities to continually extract valuable predictive and descriptive information from Big Data flows. The company also creates and hosts applications built on its Signal Hub technologies. It delivers its Signal...