24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership(in 133 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average(in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up(in 24 reviews)

Amongst the gyms out there, this one is a grand place to work!

Group X Instructor (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsDiversity Training, flexible schedules, up-to-date with technical interfaces and functions, well-rounded staff and strict on employee behaviors.

ConsSome of my fitness group managers feel entitled to be there and are not always caring about their part time instructors. My last boss was downright rude when I asked her about a raise after working there 6 years, even though my classes proved to be the most-attended in the gym. If I did the job for pay rate, I would leave, but I work there because I enjoy the membership we have.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that managers listen to their employees, even part time ones. Everyone is a part of the company. The company proves they care by making us take online classes and keeps us aware of trends, but it seems some managers can get away with anything still. Keep tabs on managers better?

A GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Fitness Manager I (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA (US)

ProsCompetitive pay, full-time employee benefits, 401K, friendly environment, fun place to work

ConsStress of hitting revenue goals which is at any job managerial overload from paperwork and admin work

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a genuine passion to help see all of your employees become successful. Take care of them and then they will take care of you

Pretty good

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsNice people
    work life balance
    benefits
    company values
    you work at a gym you get to work out at a gym
    good looking people at the gym

Conslow pay
    leadership
    compensation
    perks
    unfortunately not much room for career advancement so i left yup
    self centered people because its a gym

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Group Exercise Instructor

Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

Prosfree gym membership for myself and my spouse
    works around my schedule
    certification maintenance reimbursement
    easy to find a sub for classes

Consgroup exercise manager's are hard to get a hold of

Part Time Summer Job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere among the customer service representatives and always able to interact with positive energetic gym members. Get free gym membership to any 24 hour fitness gym and have a community feeling when interacting with employees from other gyms. Easy to transfer working from different gyms.

ConsMembership salesmen are overly aggressive and often try and get members into packages that they have no desire to purchase. Many problems complaints directed for sales/management staff but the front desk staff takes the majority of those interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication between managers for sales, customer service, and training staff. Often feels like there are three separate companies within one and does not allow employees to be aware of all gym activities and it made us look bad representing the brand in front of gym members.

Master Trainer

Master Trainer (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible work hours. Decent commission from selling training packages.

ConsMoney Driven, must hit goals to help your salary. At times there is high pressure from management to sell, sell ,sell, so they can hit club goal for their bonus.

Front Desk Receptionist

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat place to have communication and interaction with people that enjoy fitness and health. They had good training for each position and they provided several ways to learn.

ConsIt was hard to make process and get promotions to better position with better pay. I worked late at night sometimes and safety was always a concern for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay once individual progress and growth is seen.

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Member Counselor (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsFree gym membership
    Fun co-workers
    Paychecks arrive on time
    Upward mobility if you want to move up in the company

ConsHigh pressure sales good without the commission or bonuses that one would expect.
    Sales/assessment metrics need to be refined.
    Corporate spends all of its efforts trying to get people in the doors by promising them free workouts, its your job to get them to purchase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore squat racks.
    Eliminate the entire position by giving free trials only if you put a credit card on file that will automatically charge if it isn't cancelled before the trial period ends. Like every other company that does free trials.

Human Capital investments should hold priorty. Turn and burn is the how 24 Hour invests, poor return on investments.

Master Personal Trainer/Fitness Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsProfessional dress is always pajamas. Changing lives and creating long lasting client relationships is the best part of the occupation.

Cons"Meeting minimum sales requirements is easy and the stress is fairly low;" If one lives at home, doesn't depend on this job (not career) to pay bills, ever wants to afford a home, or have children. Work/life balance, this must be a joke, there is none. Time off,... paid vacation is minimum wage. Promotions are a joke as well, they ""dangle the carrot" so long by the time one does get a promotion, they're burnt. Not to mention it is a sales job, which happens to be a luxury, and if the economy takes a downturn, so does one's paycheck no matter how har one may try. The previous concerns the fitness portion of the business plan, which is ingenious for the company. They keep the lights on, provide the space and equipment for customers who do not work with trainers; yet 24 Hour Fitness feels they deserve 50% of what the staff charges hourly. Which is upwards of $50/hr - $70/hr depending on the education and experience of the client's trainer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership and employee compensation seriously took a dive ever since, 24 Hour was sued for "hinting" to get paid one often had to work off the clock. This ended up with a class action lawsuit upwards of 300 million+ which caused the founder to sell the company to an investment firm, it was down hill from there. This eventually caused an exodous which encompassed long term facility employees, very successful club management, even corporate department heads, to top execs decided to take their talent else where.
    This was a lead up to my point; a serious lack of moral in every department (behind the scenes), a customer would probably never guess, as employees hide it very well. Although HR tries to curtail sexual harassment and promotions due to "special favors," it has happend and continues to happen as I still know people within the company. Promotions are given to people who may have an education, however, most have nothing to do with health/fitness or business for that matter. This advice is not coming from a short-term former employee, I was employed with the company for seven years. Which in this company is quite an accoplishment. We decided to go seperate ways when I had enough and knew I would never move up; regardless of experience, knowledge, and expertise regarding all aspects of the non-corporate environment.
    I'm giving a warning to upper managemnet on how former and current business pratices lower moral, trust, and and overall enthusiasm to go above and beyond. It creates an environment where employees work just hard enough not to get fired or get by until something better comes along. Unless this job is striclty for extra money and isn't needed to build a prosperous life.
    Major advice, give your employees paid vacation and sick days which pays one's fully paid hourly rate according to the agggregate mean of the employee's quarterly or annual production, including the median bonus broken down to an hourly rate. The summation of those two incomes divided by one plus the risk-free rate plus the mean quarterly growth rates. (Ih +1b)/avg. hrs. per month = /1+rf+g. The eqn is very rudamentry, however I think the finance people at 24 get the point.
    Creating a work/life balance retains quality employees, this will decrease turnover, training costs, over head, direct labor not only from corp. training staff and new club staff learning software systems. It allows management to focus on making minor adjustments with experienced staff, instead of focusing large amounts of time ensuring proper on the job education, both hands on with clients, but sales training as well. Treating the corporation's "money makers" with the benefits they deserve will increase productivity, reduce turnover, and create a culture conducive to a service industry. I honestly hope someone with the influcence to create change reads this and takes appropriate measures to fully realize the potential of this business.

Depends on the club

Personal Trainer III (Current Employee)

ProsThe team I work on is great, we're a tight-knit group, and we have fun. My FM cares about my actual training skills.

ConsWhile MY fitness manager cares about my training skills and education level, the company could not care less. All they care about are sales and new business units. They've gotten really stickler-y on non-session hours (2 per week, only), but expect you to somehow bring in all kinds of sales and new business, while trying to be a great trainer. I've actually been told "you're doing really well with time management!" And then, "we need you to bring in new business." In the same 10 minute meeting!

If you enjoy training, and you're good at it, work somewhere else. 24 will only care about the revenue you can provide them, and, if you're good at training, will pressure you into management, even of you're not interested in moving up (because moving up means moving away from actually training people).

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off and let your trainers actually train. At least attempt to hide the money hungry world of corporate. No one wants to feel like an expendable pawn whose only use to make you money.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!