24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership and discounts on merchandise"
    in 120 reviews
  • "Helping people improve their lives, flexibel hours, free gym membership"
    in 60 reviews
Cons:
  • "I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun place to work. Poor pay and work life balance

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

ProsGet opportunities to network with people and establish relationships for future employment. Easy to focus on you personal fitness goals and best of all, free membership.

ConsMany clubs don't have full department head staffing requiring assistant mangers to pursue the responsibilities of the department manager for a fraction of the pay.
Personal training department: Your a salesman, not a trainer. All upper management cares about is new business, and supplement sales your clients don't need.
Sales department: Staff DOES NOT MAKE COMMISSION, BONUS, or ANY INCENTIVE TO SELL! Yet have very demanding sales quotas
Service department: Main responsibilities are to assist sales and push retail, then service the member.
Best of all, you scheduled times to clock in and clock out are usually around 10-11 hour apart but refuse to pay overtime, so they make you take multiple breaks or an "extended lunch"

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the used care salesman mentality, or put the used car salesman back on commission. One doesn't work without the other.
Give opportunity to those who deserve it, not your buddies. 24 just fired majority of their executive staff within the last year as result of this buddy system.

Easy place to teach

Group X Instructor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than 10 years

Prosthere are lots of opportunities to teach classes, as there are so many locations. Classes are typically really busy, so lots of energy

ConsIts tough to get new classes onto the schedule, or to get a trial class on the schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great if management listened to the instructors in real-time and valued our opinions towards enhancing the members experiences

IT Project Manager

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, Many Good people, nice environment.

ConsExtremely Sales Oriented company which impacts all corporate departments and especially the clubs,

Advice to Senior ManagementBalancing Marketing long-term goals with more reasonably paced Sales goals might help the organization grow while allowing steady development of company and employees.

Positive environment for beginning Group Exercise instructors

Group X Instructor (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than a year

ProsI've been with 24 Hour Fitness in San Jose for a couple of years and it's been extremely positive. I was brand new to the world of being a group ex instructor. They gave me the opportunity right out of the gate to teach. Strong infrastructure to support a large network of instructors. Also offer reimbursement for music kits where applicable.

ConsMaybe because it's not my primary job, I haven't really paid attention or know how or when yearly reviews are done. My hourly rate has stayed the same for the past 2 years.

IT Infrastructure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

ProsGood Oracle system infrastructure at the time.

ConsVolatile retention at the time.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

The Leader in the Fitness industry

Club Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHas all of the tools you need in 24 HOUR FITNESS University to be successful. Has made easier to become members.

ConsSome of the changes in leadership the last year to save took away most of the people that help develop the company over the last 15 years. A lot of the members and employees mourned the loss of the ones they respected highly that didn't receive a fair shake.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of decisions were made without the employees and member input. Listen to the staff and members to contribute to the success of the company.

Great place to grow

Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee)
Clackamas, OR (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsWork culture really depends on the branch and the managers running that specific branch and its different teams. I mostly had great experiences with my management.
The training I received to do all my different functions was very high quality, and there were ongoing workshops in the area at the time that I could attend to boost my knowledge. Also, having other trainers around to whom I could ask questions made me a much better trainer very quickly.
The employee benefits are pretty decent too if you take advantage of all that is offered.
As with many jobs, so much depends on your direct manager and club manager! (Also, if you have a good sales manager with a solid team who is active about signing up new members for training, that can really help ensure that your business is great.)

ConsLoss prevention has a lot of rules that you should seek to find out. I had a few managers (who were later fired) that encouraged us to do things against company policy, and I almost got fired for it, along with about five other employees who did.
As a trainer working for a "big box" gym, your pay will often be lower per hour than working for smaller gym or working privately. However, if you are in a "good traffic" gym, meaning you work at one that receives a lot of new members as well as existing members interested in training, then your overall earnings could be significantly higher than in the small gym settings. Once you locate a branch with good traffic, the rest is up to you to seek out new business inside the gym.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would continue to provide local development opportunities and subsidized national certification opportunities for employees interested in becoming personal trainers.
Please make sure that Loss Prevention rules are clear to all employees before any action is taken against them.

Fun when young

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee)
Fort Collins, CO (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than a year

ProsFun, energetic, fast paced. Breaks to work out.

ConsVery hard mentally - if you don't close sales at a high percentage it WILL be noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it fun!

Great company to work for.

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, great pay, friendly management. I have worked here for over 5 years and have seen the company grow. I enjoy the emphasis on personal empowerment to move both yourself and the company forward.

ConsNone that come to mind, even with the recent changes.

A decent place to work in fitness.

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
North Hollywood, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time

ProsGreat leadership and extensive training. There's always room for growth and different opportunities. Professional development is also highly valued here. Also, the complimentary membership is very nice to take advantage of.

ConsPay starts off very low. Staff is asked to do a lot for the compensation. Tasks can be very repetitive and become tedious. Raises do not happen as often as they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake staff feel more valued. Higher pay or better benefits.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 24 Hour Fitness reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for 24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair. All 386 reviews are posted anonymously by 24 Hour Fitness employees.