24 Hour Fitness

Updated 19 August 2014
Updated 19 August 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair
Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership (in 133 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average (in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply amazing

Current Employee - Service Representative  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Honolulu, HI (US)

Pros

I worked at the super sport location in Waikiki, the view alone was paradise, very knowledgable management, motivational atmosphere, really good benefits, room for personal growth, I can literally go on all day.

Cons

I have nothing to say in regards to cons about working here, I've been treated like family and management has done an amazing job.

Continue to educate the staff with knowledge that has been leading you guys to success.

Have worked here for over 20 years as a Group X Instructor; love what I do and the connection to membersl

Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Sacramento, CA (US)

Pros

I love teaching and the impact I have with members. Their enthusiasm motivates me to continue teaching.

Cons

Lack of management training. I know that they intend well, but the impact does not always have the desired outcome. Communication can be challenging. Our Group X Manager is in another state and I imagine has over 300 direct reports. She tries her best to keep us informed and engaged. It would also be nice to actually meet her/talk with her, but given the scope of responsibility and geography it may never happen. In my 20 years, I've received three increases and have been reviewed twice. There is no established performance/merit program. For years, I've been telling 24HF via the employee surveys and with management that we were being paid wrong as GX Instructors. I even let them know the potential risk of a class action lawsuit due to it. No one ever followed or no action taken, until....guess what? A class action lawsuit was filed and millions had to be paid out.

Provide training for your management team. They don't know what they don't know. Provide a formal program for performance and merit. I can pretty much guarantee that a majority of the GX Instructors aren't doing this for the money, we do it because we enjoy it; would be nice to get recognized and rewarded for it.

Improve communicatioi skills. We get monthly newsletters and they mean well, but the accolades, appreciate what you do, thank you don't really seem genuine if management has never met us, seen what we do or reviewed our performance.

HR needs to be more responsive. I and many other employees have little to no follow-up. As an example, when lifeguard training was required for CA instructors, many instructors had questions to HR and GX communications. Some folks NEVER heard back, some took weeks/months to hear back about their questions. On the flip side, GX communications made it seem like scheduling a session so soon was really helpful. It may have been to a few, but to many it stressed them out. We lost some good instructors because if it. If communication was presented by validating to all the instructors that this is a new requirement that it sounds challenging to do and balancing that with what is actually required would have been best. Also, getting back to employees timely with their questions and concerns would have been very helpful. In addition, when the training was done in the gyms, some location management was not receptive to having it done in their location. Rather than being welcoming and accommodating, they made it seem like such an inconvenience. Do they not understand that this is to benefit the club and the members?

Laslty, just my observations outside of the GX world, I've seen inappropriate behavior by leadership in the gyms; including hitting on members (asking one time and getting "not interested" is okay; continuing to ask is harassment); PT's are burning sessions without members knowing to pad their paychecks. Does anyone in corporate or the supposed third-party ethics company look into these? Unfortunate situations....

Fun, wonderful

Pros

They help with extended schooling such as getting certified or degrees as long as its in the fitness field. Great managers. Fun place to work. Great discounts on products

Cons

Without more schooling hard to get a raise. Communication between managers could be better. Getting rehired after you leave the company should be a lot easier.

?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amongst the gyms out there, this one is a grand place to work!

Current Employee - Group X Instructor  in  Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group X Instructor in Pasadena, CA (US)

Pros

Diversity Training, flexible schedules, up-to-date with technical interfaces and functions, well-rounded staff and strict on employee behaviors.

Cons

Some of my fitness group managers feel entitled to be there and are not always caring about their part time instructors. My last boss was downright rude when I asked her about a raise after working there 6 years, even though my classes proved to be the most-attended in the gym. If I did the job for pay rate, I would leave, but I work there because I enjoy the membership we have.

Ensure that managers listen to their employees, even part time ones. Everyone is a part of the company. The company proves they care by making us take online classes and keeps us aware of trends, but it seems some managers can get away with anything still. Keep tabs on managers better?

Group Exercise Instructor

Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Bakersfield, CA (US)

Pros

free gym membership for myself and my spouse
    works around my schedule
    certification maintenance reimbursement
    easy to find a sub for classes

Cons

group exercise manager's are hard to get a hold of

Good stop-gap

Current Employee - Service Representative  in  Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Pasadena, CA (US)

Pros

Free membership, (small) employee discount on merchandise, great discount on personal training sessions if you can afford it at minimum wage, and quick opportunities for promotions and moving up.

Cons

Minimum wage, and no benefits or full-time opportunities unless you are in management. Employee discount on merchandise is tiny, and no offered on top of sale items. Everyone is a sales rep, not just those in sales, but front desk and trainers, too. If you don't like sales, beware!

A bit more compensation per hour, more opportunities for full time hours, and offering some sort of benefits will help keep quality employees that love their job. As it is now, this is a stop-gap job unless all employees want to move up in the company, which unfortunately means that your service staff will not be quality workers due to high turnaround.

Low pay

Former Employee - Fitness Advisor  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Fitness Advisor in Portland, OR (US)

Pros

Flexible hours. Short commute. Friendly atmosphere. Treated well by customers.

Cons

Managers take most to all of the walk in and you are left to find your own prospects.

Remove one to two levels of management.

Master Trainer

Current Employee - Master Trainer  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Master Trainer in Portland, OR (US)

Pros

The hours are flexible, which is nice.

Cons

Management cares about money, and only money. Trainers are not compensated well. Work your butt off and live paycheck to paycheck so that management can earn a bonus because you hit team sales goals, but you see none of this reward. Trainers are only rewarded for their ability to sell, management couldn't care less about your training ability.

Care about something other than your bottom line. If you don't bother to even know your employees, they will not stick around.

Short lived

Pros

There are flexible hours which is good.

Cons

The pay is not good.

24 Hour Inequality

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

The hours are relatively flexible, and you get a free gym membership. Most of the customers are friendly.

Cons

I started in sales making $10/hr, and my manager eventually set me up for failure by taking the majority of my clients and taking credit for my work. I then transferred to customer service, where they knocked my pay down to less than what everyone else at the front desk was making, including brand new employees. I petitioned to have my wage raised, but after more than two months of asking my club manager to do so, it never happened. Some of my managers were 2-3 hours late, if they even came in at all, which left me alone at the front desk handling all of the phone calls, managing guests, ringing up the cash register, and doing the laundry with absolutely no help whatsoever. It definitely was not worth only $7.75/hr. The facility is in disrepair and I also had to contend with complaining, dissatisfied customers on a daily basis. You have to constantly do laundry, otherwise it is a nightmare when you run out of towels. Getting a promotion is all about who you know - not your work ethic.

Hire managers who actually do their job. Stop playing favorites. If you are going to make a set schedule for some people, do it for everyone, rather than making someone come in at odd hours throughout the week.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!