Aéropostale

Updated 29 September 2014
Updated 29 September 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 41 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• We are pressured to find good associates but only pay minimum wage, when the rest of the mall pays more (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, energetic and great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Waldorf, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours, if your an Aero ambassador you get 40% off in addition to whatever sales are going on (30% if not)

Cons

There's no balance between upper management and newer employees.

Management was really good at the store I worked at.

My life revolves around Aero now.

Current Employee - Style Specialist  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Style Specialist in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly coworkers

Cons

No raises, more work, doesn't try to help you grow in pay.

Ok as a First Job but there are better things out there

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Employee discount is alright. It's even better when you're selected as an "ambassador" but only by 10% more.
    -They're generally pretty easy-going about taking days off whenever you need it and as long as you do it before the schedule for that week comes out.
    -I don't know about other stores, but my store team was like a little family with all of the sales associates and managers getting along very well.
    -It's a pretty easy job to pick up. There's nothing untypical about this retail job.

Cons

-Scheduling can get ridiculous. There are weeks where you'll get absolutely no hours and others where you basically won't even have a life because you'll be working all the time. It gets really unpredictable and sometimes even frustrating. Generally though, the dead periods will be any time that isn't Holiday Season or Back-to-School season.
    -You can't be promoted to be a sales lead or anything until you are 21. So if you're a teenager working this job, you'll basically be a sales associate for quite a while if you decide to stay here.
    -The pay. As a sales associate, you will receive minimum wage. The guidebook states that you will be evaluated for a raise at the year point for every year you are there, but I was there for a year and a half and my wage still remained at minimum wage when I left my two week notice.
    -You will have "on-call" shifts. Basically this is where they schedule you for a "maybe" shift. It will be on your schedule, and you will basically have to call in an hour before the shift is scheduled and ask if they need you or not and you might have to come in for all or part of that shift depending on their answer. Or you might not be needed at all. Either way, this makes making plans very difficult because you won't know if you'll end up working or not.
    -This place will cheat you out of your breaks, Employee manual states (and at orientation you are told) that you will get 15 minute breaks and 30 minute breaks after 5 hours and an hour after 7 hours. I have never received a 15 minute break in the year and a half while I was there and I have not seen any of my co-workers take them either. I was also then told I can't take 30 minute breaks unless I have a 6 hour shift (despite the handbook and what was told at orientation) because then I would be working under 5 hours if I took a 30 minute break during a shift that was 5 hours long. Managers seem to be able to take their breaks and stuff whenever without any problems though. Go figure.
    -I and a few other people were given "specialist" jobs after being there for a while. It sounds all great and special until you realize that it's extra work at no extra pay. With mine, I would be working at home during my spare time when I wasn't on shift and I wouldn't get a raise or bonuses for this.
    -I had a second job and my manager was personally very non-understanding about hours. I was having difficulty juggling both jobs and I was being scheduled when I wasn't supposed to and I was yelled at at one point when my schedules clashed (when I was scheduled for an "on call" here that I wasn't even supposed to be scheduled for while I had an actual scheduled shift elsewhere), my manager yelled at me through the phone that she was "sick of working around other people's 2nd job work schedules. Basically, if you already have another job, I suggest you look elsewhere for a second job because when I had two jobs, it was hell here.
    -The disorganization here was kind of ridiculous at times. Associates will call out constantly whether they actually need the day off or not (I recall one calling out just because it was her birthday and another because of homework) and then before you know it, if you have an on call, you will be called in or if no one is scheduled for an on call, you may be called and a manager will beg you to come in anyway despite the fact that you didn't plan for it at all. It was also difficult to find a covering shift yourself because other associates would rarely ever want to cover your shift and if you didn't have an on call and you were so sick that you could barely stand, good luck because they will make you go in anyway.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not exactly what I expected working here would be

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

They give decent employee discounts, and their clothes are cute, but working there really just wasn't worth if.

Cons

Very few hours per week, extremely rude management (I even had friends who were customers that complained about the rudeness of the managers when they went in as shoppers), the back room is completely hectic and unorganized, and insufficient training for new employees

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Maplewood, MN (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a 30% discount and a 50% once every month which is totally amazing! And they have great fashion styles!

Cons

Sucks how you HAD to wear their clothes only! And the people there are such sucky co-workers especially the manager. They favor people and only gave hours to the ones they favor. I quitted cause I didn't even get a single hour for 4 months straight but was on-call which sucks.

A great learning experience. You certainly WORK HARD and pay is not the best.

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has the ability to make you feel like what you are doing is extremely important. You take a lot of pride in your store and team. I had the privelage to grow my team and developed a very strong management and selling team. My team and management skills were my biggest take aways from the company. I met great people, that worked very hard. This resonated from management all the way down to a part time sales associate.

Cons

No work life balance.You work extremely long hours and are given no payroll to execute all the work they expect in regards to floor sets, window change, marketing change, and day to day inventory replenishment. No hours often meant stressing about LP. Often times you can't even afford a stock associate which is desperately needed. This means the store manager that is the only salary manager puts in more time to complete the listed above to save on payroll. I worked on average 60-70 hours a week and thought that was normal for a salary manager. You receive time off, but there are so many BLACK OUT dates you can't take time off when you might like, ie. the weeks leading up to spring break, summer break, back to school, and holidays. You will work them all. Its the job.

Put yourself in your Store Managers shoes and their team. Your DM and RM call you a super star and praise you for your work. Which in turn means more work. You are their star! They need you to do store openings, training in other stores, clean up for corporate visits, with no consideration to your time off, nor your teams time off, nor the work load you have going on in your own store. You drop what your doing, change everyones schedule, revoke your days off, and do as they ask. This can create negative anomosity toward them. I even missed a family funeral, because it happened when a floor set was coming up. There isn't a lot of real compassion from upper management. They say they care, but only when you are doing exactly what they need and want.

Best first job

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount is great! 30% off everything and 50% off once a month! The music and vibe is fun, just like hanging out with friends most of the time! The dress code is easy, just in style jeans and a cute top with a layer underneath!

Cons

Holiday and Back to School are the two most stressful times of the year. There are a lot of hours that go into making the store presentable for the next day of business.

Fun, fast paced, but not enough hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at PS From Aeropostale for almost two years. The work was really easy, just folding shirts and ringing up customers here and there. Try to make friends or get close to the managers if you can because it will help you look forward to coming in for your shift. Moving up in the company can be easy for some people, hard for others. Most of the associates are 16 or 17 year olds but you can't move up to Sales lead until you're 19 and have worked there a year...and of course if the position is open. They do a lot for the community like teens for jeans and give bears to sick children around Christmas. Also they have internal programs for employees like AeroCares, there's a fund that is there to help employees if they are going through something tough.

Cons

The managers get all the hours. Then there's barely left for the associates. You get 4 hour shifts and you only make minimum wage. It's basically enough money to put gas in your car and a couple meals. You are constantly being micromanaged by your store or assistant manager which is extreme since literally all you are doing is folding shirts most of the time. Also shipment is the worst. You will have to sensor boxes on boxes on boxes of shipment while helping customers and ringing and they expect you to do it all in like an hour, not to mention it's soooo boring.

Be more realistic with the amount of time you give an associate to complete a task...not fair to give someone a small amount of time to complete an enormous task especially when they are barely making any money.

Great values

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time

Pros

Great training program and company values

Cons

There are no cons with the company

Keep it up and real

Good but not great.

Former Employee - Merch Flow Associate  in  Macon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Merch Flow Associate in Macon, GA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Community service.
    Discounts.
    Fun coworkers.
    Awesome awards for doing a good job.
    Nice clothes.
    Cool work environment.
    Flexible hours.
    Great place to learn more about retail.
    Opportunities to move up the ladder are good.

Cons

If you work for Areo you will have not have any other life. You become company. In other words your life is all about working for Aero.

Realize that your coworkers have a life outside of Aero and respect that.

Aéropostale Photos

Ridgedale Mall Aeropostale
Store
Front table
AZ mills Aeopostale

+ Add Photo

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!