Aéropostale

Updated 13 September 2014
Updated 13 September 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't even bother

Current Employee - Aero Ambassador  in  Merrimack, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Aero Ambassador in Merrimack, NH (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

-The discount comes in handy
    -The customers are friendly for the most part
    -I can see all of the new merchandise and decide what I want when it goes on sale

Cons

-The managers get all of the hours
    -They change my schedule without telling me and then I get yelled at for not being able to cover the shift or get the shift covered
    -Its a good first job for teenagers, but managers take advantage of that being your first job
    -I had to go out and get another job because I wasn't getting more than 8 hours a week
    -Minimum wage
    -Managers don't help clean the store up at closing, and go out back and eat food
    -Employees usually leave the company within 2 months of being hired
    -The schedule is copy and pasted onto the next week
    -Schedules are usually done extremely late

-We need raises
    -We should be able to pick our managers, because ours is rude, but our assistant manager is amazing
    -You need to check on managers in the store more often. They usually just walk around texting while the employees do all of the work in the store.

Fun, fast paced, but not enough hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at PS From Aeropostale for almost two years. The work was really easy, just folding shirts and ringing up customers here and there. Try to make friends or get close to the managers if you can because it will help you look forward to coming in for your shift. Moving up in the company can be easy for some people, hard for others. Most of the associates are 16 or 17 year olds but you can't move up to Sales lead until you're 19 and have worked there a year...and of course if the position is open. They do a lot for the community like teens for jeans and give bears to sick children around Christmas. Also they have internal programs for employees like AeroCares, there's a fund that is there to help employees if they are going through something tough.

Cons

The managers get all the hours. Then there's barely left for the associates. You get 4 hour shifts and you only make minimum wage. It's basically enough money to put gas in your car and a couple meals. You are constantly being micromanaged by your store or assistant manager which is extreme since literally all you are doing is folding shirts most of the time. Also shipment is the worst. You will have to sensor boxes on boxes on boxes of shipment while helping customers and ringing and they expect you to do it all in like an hour, not to mention it's soooo boring.

Be more realistic with the amount of time you give an associate to complete a task...not fair to give someone a small amount of time to complete an enormous task especially when they are barely making any money.

A company who cares about it's employees

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great team of managers, promote from within and fast (I went from sales associate to assistant manager in less than 2 years), great employee discounts

Cons

PAYROLL PAYROLL PAYROLL. they do not give us nearly enough hours to get everything needed to run a successful business. You will work your butt off. Also, having every promo change every week gets really annoying

I believe that Aero has great core values and rewards their employees for hard work. I do believe we should do away with the current promo process and give us more hours to get things done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to start at, not much for pay growth or changing hours.

Former Employee - Sale Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you work part time while going to school this is a good job. They will generally work around your schedule. I was there for two years while going to college.

Cons

When I first started working there you could change positions every day from being a sale associate to being a greeter and working the fitting rooms. After some time they changed it so you have to be stuck at one thing, ie a greeter always a greeter.

When they put this into effect I was going to school in the day and working the closing shift. After a while I got tired of it and changed my school schedule to later hours in hope of them putting my in the early shift instead of closing. Since you are not set in a position there is not much room to move out of it.

The raises are not worth it. The max raise you could get is 30 cents a year. They started me off at $8.25 and after two years I was only making $8.75. If I went to another company like Uniqlo I could have STARTED at a higher pay than that.

Increase raises, especially got good workers.

Delightful, but exhausting

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, lots of fun music, high energy, quarterly team meetings, great clothing discount

Cons

High expectation for store presentation, not enough hours, low pay

rotate staff more often, no one wants to always be at the front greeting.

Ehh

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Chesterfield, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chesterfield, MI (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is so nice and helpful. They are also understanding about just about everything.

Cons

Pay- after working there for 3 years I've only received a $0.10 raise

Annoying

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Destin, FL (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

30% discount to buy their clothes that you had to wear during your shift.
    On the occasion that cute clothes come in you kind of get first dibs on them.
    Some managers are really cool people

Cons

-having to wear aero clothes. Their jeans don't fit me right so I would wear hollister jeans and would get in trouble for it.
    -little to no hours. I worked a total of 16 hours in 3 months.
    -managers act like high school girls, gossiping and bickering all the time.
    I was on call one day and I called and said I wouldn't be able to come in because I had to study for a test but was forced to come in anyways and was kept there until 10 at night.
    Working here is absolutely awful.

Take better care of your employees.

Not a bad place, but...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Cloud, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for. The job is easy enough students. The associates I've met so far have been nothing short of friendly. The discount is nice if you prefer the clothing. Pay isn't too bad (above minimum, not by much)

Cons

8-10 hours a week, which is a pro when I go back to school, but con when I could really use more hours while I'm not in school. If you and the leads or managers don't see eye to eye, you might as well look for a different job, you constantly work with them and they ARE NOT friendly.

I don't know why store management think it's okay to treat new employees like garbage, you were once us you know...

Fun but challenging work

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Aero has a very fun environment and you are able to build communication skills with the tasks assigned. Aero also gives employees a great discount!

Cons

The work hours are very random and it is not a routine schedule. The upper management has very high expectations and sometimes the work gets very stressful. There are many times you will stay late.

Don't even bother.

Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate
    Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Employee discount is great
    - Different for every store, but coworkers are great and friendly
    - The work is generally very easy, even if it's boring

Cons

- District/Regional managers are rude and very condescending. Could care less about their employees.
    - Hours are ridiculous. Don't expect anything more than an average of 10 hours a week. They over-hire employees and cut everyone's hours constantly. This seems to be consistent between all Aero stores.
    - The company itself is going down the drain. This is why they stopped giving raises to associates. Don't expect to get paid above minimum wage, and don't expect ANY raises unless you get promoted (which, even then, they clearly state in their manual that raises are not guaranteed).
    - That being said, being promoted is nearly impossible. You have to be 20 years old to be a mere low-level manager.
    - On-calls. Basically you won't know if you're working or not until an hour beforehand.
    - You are held accountable if customers do not purchase a certain number of items, yet you don't get commission pay!

Your employees are the reason you are making money. Give them good hours and good pay/raises. You don't need 20+ employees for such small stores, especially when there is only 1 or 2 working at any given time. Acknowledge when your employees do a good job. It's not our fault the company isn't doing well, don't punish us for it by terrible pay and hours.

Aéropostale Photos

Ridgedale Mall Aeropostale
Store
Front table
AZ mills Aeopostale

+ Add Photo

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!