AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally"
    in 25 reviews
  • "work-life balance is good, office is spacious (because turnover rate is high)"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not quite as horrific as some of these mentioned!

Melbourne

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than a year

ProsI have personally found generally nice people. I think it probably depends on the team you work in - like most organisations, if you find yourself a good manager with decent people skills, you're half way there. Given the state of the mining and engineering market, I actually think pay is pretty fair - salaries have been artificially inflated in the last decade, and perhaps this is causing unhappiness when grad salaries get cut and increases frozen - but AECOM not alone there. Streamlining regions was a good call. Can be a really fun atmosphere. And generally feel that people trying to do their best in a tough market. Some really smart people doing really interesting work for great clients.

ConsRidiculously complex matrix system that they keep claiming is being simplified and seems to get harder to understand and more secretive each quarter. No consistent, public strategic plan or vision. Massive cuts in admin staff to the point where technical people wasting their time on inappropriate tasks rather than out there winning or delivering work. Some great capable people, but they are SO stretched they can't possibly do everything well. Starting to see the impact of so many redundancies - good people starting to leave of their own accord which is really disappointing. The business model seems to be seriously skewed - can it possibly be sustainable in the long run?

Good local leadership stymied by faceless corporate management driven by shareholder profits at the expense of staff

Director (Current Employee)
Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent depth and breadth of technical capability locally, nationally and internationally
Some pockets of exceptional, client focused teams
Excellent health and safety support and focus
Generally approachable and helpful line managers

ConsShort term gains over client service and general employee well being
Artificial demarcation of business lines and matrix management creates unnecessary conflict
Systems are difficult to follow and implement making us appear unresponsive to client needs and giving the impression that we're risk adverse and difficult to work with.
External training / learning opportunities and employee benefits are non-existent
High performance is not recognised or rewarded

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak plainly, often and openly about the state of the business and what staff can do to help.
Create a vision that is relevant to staff that they can engage with and cut out the unrelated and ad hoc initiatives that contradict each other, create wasted effort and poorly direct focus.
Push back on our global business to create opportunities to reduce corporate costs to relieve the pressure to cut staff and capability.

Not a happy boat

Principal (Former Employee)
Perth, Western Australia

I worked at AECOM full-time for less than a year

ProsLocation, and a good lesson in how not to run a company.

ConsImmature management takeover appeared from my perspective to have a clueless understanding for maintaining a previously well establish client based, net alone their good hard working staff.

very micro managed assessments on deliveries, with non technical PMs setting targets for you for their own glory
Almost comical, to think in this day and age the you scratch by back I'll scatch yours is how to succeed from middle management upwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose a companies reputation in WA and your recovery is very long
Your clients and an experienced skilled staff base will leave in drones, as has been the case.
Note also this is not a personal rant but a shared opinion with the many critical statements on this site..

Gladiatorial Management Style

Melbourne

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best part about AECOM is the fact that I no longer have the misfortune and misguided loyalty to still be working there. Some of the people were good to work with, but they left too.

ConsIn economic downturn AECOM thinks it can mistreat employees and that they will tolerate the abuse and bullying rather take their chances on the market. Management forces employees to compete against each other as if they are gladiators. The result is that the alpha bullies win and the more talented or quiet achievers are crushed. The vicious dross is left behind.

This place is so bad that there are immature graduates managing projects and inexperienced thirty-somethings promoted to group leader and director level. The group leaders hide behind emails, charge their time to your job without doing any work, constantly make you feel insecure because you haven't reached the billability target and expect you to do project work and business development in your own personal time. You bust your gut for nothing because you won't see any reward in terms of recognition, security or promotion. May as well be in an 18th century coal mine for all the appreciation and job satisfaction at AECOM.

The negative culture within this management-heavy company is so firmly entrenched that it is difficult to see how it could ever turn around.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lack perspicacity.

Utilisation, Utilisation, Utilisation

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Broad range of expertise within the organisation at your fingertips
- Great offices, central location which is easily accessible on bus/train
- Staff are generally easy going and friendly
- Global firm with the possibility of international transfer

Cons- Emphasis on utilisation and writedowns changes on a monthly basis
- Staff are so worried about having utilisation they'll over book to jobs
- Lack of power for discipline leaders to award pay raises, bonuses, recruit etc.
- Business is crippled by unnecessary administrative tasks, approvals
- Risk averse, we are constantly 'the difficult ones' when it comes to signing contracts
- Renumeration is generally below industry average

Advice to Senior ManagementThe key to focusing on our clients needs is to have engaged, happy staff not by "lets make better possible"....

I don't understand their decision making

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Prossome nice people to work with, with the opportunity to grow in your role and take on extra responsibilities

ConsDecision making regarding retrenchments can't be sane. Regional offices losing staff due to retrenchments so only skeleton staff remain = extra pressure/stress for the staff remaining causes them to leave also. No staff = no work can be done = no money. To lose experienced staff is like shooting yourself in the foot.
High chargability doesn't equal job security. Received excellent reviews so that's not the issue either. Don't understand their reasoning.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts too late.

Continual fear of getting fired expressed throughout from senior management.

Brisbane

I have been working at AECOM full-time

ProsGreat network, diverse culture, diverse and large projects.

ConsTimes are tough during financial times and it is at this moment that AECOM's true colours are shown. Meaning, that when there is a project which has plenty of money, then it becomes a pleasure to work in a project. However, when money is tight, overwork becomes the norm, which leads to feelings of under-appreciation and exploitation.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwn up to your mistakes. Much can be achieved by being honest. Workers are more than willing to give a hand to make up for your mistakes. They even know of your mistakes. So what is the point in covering them up?
Let's deal with the real problem instead of covering it up. Everybody has a fear of getting fired, so let's start talking about it more openly.

Career and professional suicide! If you have a brain and like to use it, don't work in a Finance role for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

ProsAbsolutely nothing, you go home feeling dumber every day!

ConsIncompetent and inept managers with no people skills
Many issues but prevented from resolving by managers with no foresight
Hung out to dry by managers that don't take responsibility (backstabbing and undermining of staff a daily occurrence)
Too slow to respond to market conditions and internal cost structures to be competitive
No recognition or reward of staff in finance or administration roles
Extremely poor pay for the hours of work and standard/level of work expected in finance and admin roles
No career path, professional development or training provided in the time I worked here

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all talk, start living your "values" and things may change.

Good - or the least bad of the publicly listed multinational engneering/environmental consulting firms

Technical Director (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOutstanding people, company mostly has it heart in the right place, trying to be better and evolve to match changing markets, great opportunities for the ambitious, very serious about OHS

Consslow, bureaucratic, risk averse, sacks people as soon as the work runs out (noting that is the same as all publicly listed firms), useless or absent bonus system.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep streamlining systems, get some form of meaningful performance bonus system

A mistake to have joined this company

Brisbane

I worked at AECOM full-time

ProsImmediate team was very nice and offices are great.

ConsPeople with a strategic brain and some vision don't last long, it goes against the task-orientated, plodder's culture. Bullying and disrespectful behaviour is the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business desperately needs some professional managers, not just technical people who have just been there long enough, to be bought into lead the firm if the Australian business is to survive. Take your clients' feedback seriously, or you soon won't have any.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All 681 reviews are posted anonymously by AECOM employees.