AKQA

Updated 26 January 2015
Updated 26 January 2015
2.9

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, 2 weeks of vacation for the first 2 years (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Stimulating environment and good opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and opportunities for career progression around the world. Every day a new opportunity surfaces so feels dynamic. Employees believe in the vision to create the best work of their careers. Lots of social events to get to know people. Culture feels like a close family where people co-operating to benefit the whole.

Cons

Every now and then need to work the odd evening or weekend, but to be expected in an agency that has multinational clients on different timezones.

Attitude towards team is pleasant and respectful. Am enjoying learning lots.

High turnover, average pay, great experience

Former Employee - Creative Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Creative Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work with lots of very talented people and got a lot of good experiece

Cons

such a large ad agency, you were put into a bucket and it was impossible to escape it.

cross over between talents

Great opportunities to work on innovative projects and travel!

Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities - I joined AKQA shortly after working at smaller agencies and was intimidated at first but have found the culture to have the strongest team ethos from any of the companies I've worked at before. The team is amazing and all projects I've worked on have an international aspect so I get to travel!! As projects are at cutting edge I am learning from experts in their field.

Cons

Obsessively high standards to craft the best is hard work at times but worth it for the end product.

Management is overall professional and caring, especially about team spirit. Keep it that way by continuing to bring in the best!

High standards will keep you on your toes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing clients and co-workers. My supervisor is great and I always feel appreciated. The work is challenging and standards are high, so I'm constantly learning.

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough. The high standards and expectations can be stressful and lead to long hours.

Communication! Positive reinforcement for the hard-working masses could be a morale-booster.

Focused on my personal development

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is a new experience and challenge. The global knowledge I have gained is incredible. My manager and Head of' are extremely supportive and provide me with opportunities I never thought I'd be involved in.

Cons

The hours can be long but that is partly me not being able to switch off!

Listen to the employee feedback and bring back the initiatives that unfortunately stopped last year, or revamp them.

A Revolving Door. A Great Place To Learn Quickly Under Pressure.

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, my fondest memories at AKQA were of the people I worked with. I worked in the MSA (Media, Search and Analytics) department for 1.5 years and have developed my expertise by working with some highly skilled and hard-working folks.

MSA tends to operate as its own shop, independent of the rest of AKQA - as such, my review will be specific to it. There are plenty of perks in the office - free coffee, free fruit, social events, yoga, massage, acupuncture...huge office space with plenty of open tables for meetings or private work. For people new to the industry, it is a fantastic opportunity to get exposure to respected brands.

People in this department work hard. I can't speak to the rest of AKQA, but work hours typically run from 9-6, 8-6, 8-7, 7-7, etc. etc...then again, you are free to leave at 5 if you wish to do so. Generally speaking, people come to work in good taste.

The office caters to young professionals, I would say the vast majority of the department consists of people in their twenties. After a couple of years at this agency, opportunities for growth at successful and high-paying companies "in-house" will be abundant.

Cons

Although I listed this as a Pro, this might also be considered a Con: the department is young. This is due to the high turnover rate and the relatively pigeonholed nature of the work - you'll get exposure to great brands, but any specific individuals' power over a project tends to be very narrow in most cases.

The pay is low, and the work is relatively stressful. It becomes frustrating to work hard on delivering a brands' success and get little to no recognition. This is the cost of doing business - strong performance from the team gets credited to the marketing managers, then disseminated (maybe) to the agency, then to the directors, then to the individuals who work to make it happen. For the most part, this latter faction gets utterly ignored - it is the responsibility of an effective manager to vocalize the hard work of the teams consistently.

To the rest of AKQA, the MSA department is the necessary but severely uncool counterpart. To MSA, AKQA is a hotbed of emotional politics with no unified vision.

Show greater appreciation for your employees. Salary is fair for the lack of experience in talent, but for the love of God, provide greater incentives in the form of bonuses to motivate the teams - many of these kids cannot live in SF with these salaries.

Provide a clear mission statement. People will rally behind a cause despite harsh circumstances if they believe the mission to be meaningful.

Was amazing

I have been working at AKQA

Pros

Amazing people.
    Amazing clients.

Cons

Starting to become dated and have hired a batch of mediocre people.

Hire senior people from outside the firm that'll shake things up.

Doesn't care about people

Current Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AKQA

Pros

Some brands are supposedly good to work on, some people are nice I guess.
    The company name on your resume and that's it.

Cons

So many don't know where to start
    - Titles don't fit your real position in this business
    - Salaries are extremely low
    - Company ask you to give up your personal life but doesn't give you anything in return
    - Everything is extremely political : If you've worked 5 years for AKQA but are worthless at your job you will still be way more rewarded than someone extremely talented but new.
    You need to lick your CD's boots if you want a promotion
    -Projects are never produced
    -Worst thing by far for a creative : you start a project, do all the conceptual thinking and see your project produced by others creative that take credit for your work.
    - Creative will build presentation and decks 90% of the time instead of doing real work

Start by treating your employee properly and go back to real ideas not some worthless design. Reward real talents not people that just have connections

Brilliant job with amazing colleagues and provides the potential to go far

I have been working at AKQA

Pros

Work hard and get rewarded. The opportunities are endless. Your peers are smart, hard working and great to socialise with

Cons

Long hours. Not always the best work of your life - sometimes bau. Hard to get in.

Great place to work - always recommended