ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros:
  • "Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance for a Manager is almost non-existent"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard work, lots of responsibility and autonomy, great people.

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at ALDI part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet to experience all aspects of retail management and operations. Plenty of opportunities for training and advancement if you are willing to show your commitment and proactivity. Aldi expects you to take ownership of everything you do and gives you the freedom to do it your way, as long as you consistently deliver results.

ConsPhysically very hard work, most shifts you end up sweaty and filthy. Aldi demands high levels of efficiency and productivity, which can be stressful when unpredictable problems or demanding customers cause you to fall behind schedule.

great employer

Retail Assistant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at ALDI part-time for more than a year

Prosgreat pay for easy work

Conslong shifts can be tiring

Advice to Senior Managementmore employee benefits for employees

Store manager Aldi

I have been working at ALDI full-time

ProsPaid well. Fast paced. Responsibility

ConsLittle chance of career progression. Lack of recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers more control in stores.

a job not for everyone

Cashier (Current Employee)
Brisbane

I have been working at ALDI

ProsFast paced, good system and decent pay

Conslow staff retention rate, physically demanding

Advice to Senior Managementwork on retention and hire experienced manager

Hard work, good money, can be stressful and long hours.

Deputy Manager (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at ALDI

ProsThe wages and salary are very high, especially compared to other supermarket companies. All the staff I worked with were all good in teams, they seem quite picky with who they choose to work there. If you want to have certain days off in advance, it can be organised.

Great place to be promoted, a lot of people (including myself) moved up very quickly with great reward.

ConsLong hard hours. As few staff working in a store as possible - if you are in a quiet store, there could be only two other staff with you for the entire store. Even though you are told you have sick leave etc. It is near impossible to take, there will probably be no one to cover your shift and your manager will find ways to guilt you into coming in. Once the roster is set, your days off each week will change and most of the time you have no choice when you will be working.

One problem I had at the four stores I worked at, was that it was common to be forced to work overtime and then the roster would be changed to make it look like you hadn't. The store managers were doing this because there was often a lack of people, and a lot of work to be done. The area managers were pushing for no overtime to be done at all - the area managers are graded by senior management on overtime hours as a cost they must push down.

Advice to Senior ManagementAldi has a great culture, hard working staff and pays very well. But nearly every level of manager seems to be manipulating rosters or some kind of forms to meet unnecessary targets.

VERY GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a store manager,and I was very impressed with their training and the system in place that Aldi developed to run their stores.You worked hard and you were always busy,but I liked that because I always felt very productive and the days went by fast.They paid very well (but you definitely earned it)and there were good benefits.Great employees and positive atmosphere.

ConsWish they would promote more from within the company.District Managers were hired & trained seperately,so you couldn't advance from the store manager position.I was promised something by word and a handshake by upper management....but when things didn't go the way that they wanted,they didn't give me the deal that was promised.Seem to care a little bit more about the bottom line/profit,than their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within/especially allow store managers to be promoted to district managers-after all,they already have so much knowledge at the store level.Think about giving store managers a bonus based on sales volume increases,employee productivity,etc.Last,but definitely not least,care more about your employees,and when you promise them something,make good on that promise.

store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits, paid vaca,great pay,fast paced,closed holidays

Consmicro management,in consistanties,bosses with no to little management experience

Great

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, stayed busy, off on holidays, close at decent time.

ConsThey always expected more, you couldn't really have a life outside of Aldi, they wanted you to make them your main priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting a "job well done" every once in a while would have been nice, instead of being told, "I think you can do better"

Excellent place to work if you're willing to put in the work

Store Associate (Current Employee)
Oak Ridge, TN (US)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good starting wages and benefits
-If you're a good worker the Store Manager will give you the earlier shifts, which results in getting off early (haven't had to close in about a month).
-They Store Manager will also help you to get promoted (which is in the works now).

ConsI have the fastest ring time in the store and by far faster than anybody else, and no compensation for it. The hours can fluctuate depending on how well the store is doing unless you are a Store Manager or MT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees that have the fast ring times, I have been at the top since the store opened and I just get a good job every once in a while. Other than that, I am happy with the store and the direction I am headed with the store!

Aldi has been a great place to work in my experience, a perfect part-time job for college students

I have been working at ALDI

ProsFlexible hours and above average hourly rate for a part time job

ConsThe duration of the shifts is not flexible, every one is at least 8 hours
The work is hard, you definitely earn your high hourly wage

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 384 reviews are posted anonymously by ALDI employees.