ALDI

www.aldi.com

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees(in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed(in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had(in 40 reviews)

Hard work, lots of responsibility and autonomy, great people.

Deputy Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGet to experience all aspects of retail management and operations. Plenty of opportunities for training and advancement if you are willing to show your commitment and proactivity. Aldi expects you to take ownership of everything you do and gives you the freedom to do it your way, as long as you consistently deliver results.

ConsPhysically very hard work, most shifts you end up sweaty and filthy. Aldi demands high levels of efficiency and productivity, which can be stressful when unpredictable problems or demanding customers cause you to fall behind schedule.

worse

Store Manager Trainee (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosnot the best company to work

Consevery single day is a challenge

great employer

Retail Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne

Prosgreat pay for easy work

Conslong shifts can be tiring

Advice to Senior Managementmore employee benefits for employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store manager Aldi

ProsPaid well. Fast paced. Responsibility

ConsLittle chance of career progression. Lack of recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers more control in stores.

Winners vs losers

District Manager (Current Employee) Ohio

ProsResponsibility respect promotions to those who earn it. Manage mostly great employees

ConsNo free rides, occasional bad employee

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire cry babies

a job not for everyone

Cashier (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsFast paced, good system and decent pay

Conslow staff retention rate, physically demanding

Advice to Senior Managementwork on retention and hire experienced manager

Hard work, good money, can be stressful and long hours.

Deputy Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe wages and salary are very high, especially compared to other supermarket companies. All the staff I worked with were all good in teams, they seem quite picky with who they choose to work there. If you want to have certain days off in advance, it can be organised.

Great place to be promoted, a lot of people (including myself) moved up very quickly with great reward.

ConsLong hard hours. As few staff working in a store as possible - if you are in a quiet store, there could be only two other staff with you for the entire store. Even though you are told you have sick leave etc. It is near impossible to take, there will probably be no one to cover your shift and your manager will find ways to guilt you into coming in. Once the roster is set, your days off each week will change and most of the time you have no choice when you will be working.

One problem I had at the four stores I worked at, was that it was common to be forced to work overtime and then the roster would be changed to make it look like you hadn't. The store managers were doing this because there was often a lack of people, and a lot of work to be done. The area managers were pushing for no overtime to be done at all - the area managers are graded by senior management on overtime hours as a cost they must push down.

Advice to Senior ManagementAldi has a great culture, hard working staff and pays very well. But nearly every level of manager seems to be manipulating rosters or some kind of forms to meet unnecessary targets.

Great Place if your Willing to Work

Store Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThis company is amazing and efficient. I came from another company, different industry and Im pleased with the change. The Pay is amazing, the benefits are above all. I want to remind people that say they don't gets breaks and have to come in on their days off, do not equate that to Aldi but your SM or AM and bring it back to the store level. Ive always gotten my breaks, maybe not when I wanted them, but definitely got them. This is not a easy job at all, you work very hard for your money, but the time goes by sooooo fast, before you know it it's time to go home.

ConsBeing promoted from SM to DM, or transfers to different States.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good, No job or company is perfect but so far this company meets all my needs. Upper Management has a open door policy and if you have any concerns you can go all the way up to the top.

Not bad, but some very ingrained issues...

Area Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGreat Salary, company car, professional senior management, dedicated staff in-store.

ConsFar too much of the "just get it done" mentality, which is what many junior (graduate) managers come to perceive in their first management role as being leadership. Communication at all levels is poor. Capacity in busy stores in danger of being outstripped by demand. Work/Life balance is poor, although if you're a graduate in your first job then why not...

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in helping graduates to know the difference between "Leadership" and "Management".

No balance.

Cashier (Current Employee) Waterbury, CT (US)

ProsPay is fair. Fast paced enviroment.. Easy to move from cashier to Shift Supervisor. Benefits are great actually. You get to work with good people that have to be extremely hard working. Lazy people don't last.

ConsLong hours, since its non union; I've worked `12 hour days with one 5 minute break. I'm never fast enough for expectations even though I'm the fastest cashier in my store. No work life balance. They say you can have a half hour lunch break during training, and two 15 minute breaks during an 8 hour shift... They say a lot of things. All Shift supervisors are under constant scrutiny from the District managers causing massive amounts of stress and pressure. I've been working there for a year and over a third of the staff has gone out on disability due to medical problems directly correlated to the speeds which you are expected to ring and work at. You are recorded on camera and the District manager see's you sitting for more than thirty seconds while (I am not exaggerating or kidding) ... let's say you are waiting for a senior citizen to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt, you will be reprimanded, this really happened to me. No matter what you do you will never be good enough, understand that and you'll understand half the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working your employees to the breaking point.... Unless Aldi's corporate really likes paying disability leave, in which case have at it. wondering how many people have to go on disbility before Aldi's figures it out.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!