AMD

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Boxborough, MA (US)

I have been working at AMD as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood work-life balance
Friendly and relaxed atmosphere

ConsI was only a summer intern, but there were no signs of helping employees "gel" with one another - saw few if any company-sponsored events

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, only was an intern, but they could possibly work to keep different teams on the same page and connected as well as build morale through out of office activities.

Great people, challenging business.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAMD is full of great people to work with. They're smart, dedicated, and fun. The technology that they produce is top-notch. They have a lot of good safeguards in place so that engineering mistakes don't get through into products.

ConsAMD always seems to be struggling to gain recognition from consumers and respect from PC manufacturers. This is reflected in their low market share. Gamers love the Radeon graphics cards, but that's a relatively small market. With PC sales declining, it's a race to see whether AMD can make up the sales by breaking into new markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting design flows to work reliably was always a challenge. The CAD group is understaffed and/or focusing on the wrong things.

Pretty Good so far

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing people to work with. Lot of talented people around and plenty of learning opportunities. Great work life balance

ConsJob security. Management missteps quickly trickles down to hurt the employees. Less bonus compared to competition

Advice to Senior ManagementPC and more importantly server market is still very big to give up.

How the mighty have fallen!

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are reasonably smart and hardworking (and manage to keep your job through reorgs), fairly good place from work-life balance perspective

Cons* Management tries to exploit limited opportunities in Boston area in chip design, by not compensating people properly.
* Misalignment in leveling across locations (especially management in Boston does not reward employees at same level as other locations)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have (or at least had till I worked there) very smart engineers. You owe them and the shareholders for all the mismanagement over the last 10 years. Show them a well thought out strategy and they will do great things for you.

Great technology but difficult management and culture.

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe technology is very cool and the company is small enough that you can make a real difference. The fusion stuff where CPUs and GPUs work closely together is awesome.

ConsThe company can't seem to make money. Products are constantly canceled. Schedules constantly shift. Responsibilities and ownership for common stuff is often unclear. Lots of schedule chicken and passing the buck. Decisions often don't get made at all, or at best they are delayed until the last possible moment.

No security in doing a job well done

Senior Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary is competitive.
Work is interesting.
They offer pretty decent benefits.
They have sites in many locations.
They use quality industry tools.
Most of the technical people are very bright and seem to know what they're doing.

ConsThere's a culture for a cycle of constant layoffs and constant hiring. So even if you do your job, meet your deadlines, your head may still be on the chopping block. It's an atmosphere of fear where you are constantly worried if you're playing the political game well or not. If you're a quieter person, this place definitely advocates that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. As a new person, you're constantly worried if you spoke enough in meetings or if your work is a high enough quality. But in the end, that doesn't matter, and it just depends on whether Senior Management likes you or not.

Intense, but good if you like a startup feeling in an established public company.

Principal Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

ProsGood if you want to design microprocessors and graphics processing units (cpus and gpus), cmos circuits and microprocessor architecture. Design teams are big and spread all over the world. A lot of teleconference meetings and possibly some travel involved.

ConsProjects can be too long (3-5 years) which makes them prone to a higher level of uncertainty on their completion (market changes, technology changes, management changes, etc). You are expected to be able to log in from home or while on the road. People tend to put in long hours including and it is not uncommon to receive and send email 24/7. Design teams are all over the country and world therefore there is a need to have teleconference meetings at odd times which could be very early, very late, or during lunch time. Has very similar performance policies as Intel: top 10% employees get treated like kings, bottom 10% employees get laid off in the next cost cutting round, the other 80% get below expectation reviews during tough times and average reviews during good times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest during performance reviews and not use them as "motivational tools". It is not fair on hard working employees and it takes a big toll on company morale.

There are a lot of smart engineers working for AMD

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Boxborough, MA (US)

I have been working at AMD full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people. The culture. There is always work to do and room to be innovative. This includes both incredible product churns and opportunities to do research on future products.

ConsToo ambitious for the staffing. Reform for this has already happened. However, this has resulted in some uncertainty among the staff about the companies long term plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Was good in the begining...

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUltra High-tech firm with access to cutting edge technologies.

Health benefits exceeded the industry standard. I never paid anything except a small co-pay, even for major surgery.

Absolutely amazing colleagues. Some of the brightest minds in the world work there.

ConsWhat you’re hired at was about as good as it gets. The company would consistently hire very senior level people, at very competitive salaries, and then assign them a title that would limit their potential for receiving any significant form of raise. Most often the salary increases wouldn’t even cover increases in cost of living (not good for a long term career). Often when referring people into he company we would inform them to only accept a position if the company agreed to change the title to a higher level, thus forcing them to be hired at the bottom of the salary range with room for salary increases.

The Information Technology teams were re-organized SIX TIMES from the beginning of 2010 to the latter half of 2012. By the end the staff was “siloed” into groups based on very specific functions, and none of these groups communicated well. This made it impossible to complete any project. By the end of this time it was common to say “If you don’t like what you’re doing, just wait two months”.

If you are not located in Austin, TX then you will often get overlooked (referred to internally as “Good ole Boy Syndrome”)

There is a major lack of focus from upper management (Director up), and middle management is horribly overworked (promotion to management was considered a death sentence).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus!!!

Pretty Good and Fulfilling

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 8 years

ProsConvenient, good work life balance

Consunclear roadmaps and not much motivation sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize talent immediately and do your best to retain them, by offering promotions whenever appropriate, increase salary, etc.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings in Boxborough, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.