AMRI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

William S. Marth

Pros:
  • "There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole"
    in 5 reviews
  • "He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No concept of work/life balance, your life needs to revolve around your job"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Learn a lot; did a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA (US)

I worked at AMRI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good place to learn for new people like myself. Get exposed to different things, you wear different hats.

ConsVery low pay but demands long hours. If you dont work 50-60 plus hours, you are slacker. There is no chance of advancement until and unless you are buddy buddy with somebody or they need to fill some spot (even if you are not fit for that spot). Very bad culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo demand so much from your employees, please see what you are offering to them. Please know that you have to treat your employees well to get back what you want. It is not like there is only one company to work for. Please be open and respect your employees.

You will never materially advance nor be rewarded for having the company's back. It's just not that kind of company.

Dedicated Soldier (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat technical experience. Lots of great equipment. Great river views from the second floor. Exceptionally nice colleagues from all over the world.

ConsMeaningless performance evaluations; Complete waste of everyone's time. Hard work/ownership not valued/rewarded. Poor work not punished. Laziness condoned. PhD's hired to do mundane Associates Degree work. Embarrassingly lame mid-level management. They and the level above have no tools to motivate people. Fear of loss of job is all they have. Everyone is treated exactly the same, regardless of talent or industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's obvious that a calculation was made to NOT take an active role to manage/optimize the most expensive aspect of your operations. It's managed by attrition. It appears to be fairly effective unfortunately. I'm surprised that it's worked so well, but the awful Obama economy makes it possible. Fortunately, I'm able to motivate myself and the balance sheet still works for me personally. It's heartbreaking to have witnessed the exodus of so many insanely talented, effective people over the last few years. They made the company strong. You're less so now, but like I said, that's the course you've decided upon. I think if things grow as you hope, a case can be made that experienced lab folks would be a HUGE asset. Please dispense with the performance evaluation process every year. It will benefit your group leaders/supervisors. They have no time for it. It should be like a flat tax return, one page or even pass/fail. Pretty hopeless, which is quite discouraging, but most weeks I can rise above all this and know that sometimes doing the right thing is its own reward. Finally, it doesn't take a great deal of money to keep people's head in the game. If it were my company, I'd want people to be willing to take a bullet for me (figuratively, of course). That'll never happen here due to the approach you've taken. Not only does it not cost a great deal of money to motivate people, you don't even have to mean it.

Decent

I have been working at AMRI

ProsReally great people to work with.

ConsNot a competitive salary...many people are looking for other opportunities

New management but still terrible

Research Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than a year

ProsEffective Jan 1, 2014, William Marth is now CEO. He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best.

ConsEffective March 1, 2014 AMRI is now asking employees to pay more for health insurance. AMRI is immune to healthcare policy changes because they're self-insured. Ultimately AMRI is cutting employee benefits when salary is still abysmal.
Pretty much all employee support system is in dismay (HR, IT, Maintenance, Janitorial, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has a lot to benefit from actually having a short conversation with the people who actually do the work. While this is a prevalent problem in many companies, AMRI management just couldn't care less.

Looks good on the surface...

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearned a lot
Like my co-workers

ConsOver-worked, Under-appreciated, Under-paid

I was told there would be room for growth...when opportunities were available, I was over-looked

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth
A little goodwill goes a long way
Appreciate every employee you have

Have been with AMRI for more than 6 years.

Senior Research Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsConstant challenge working environment. You learn a lot in the work. Good colleagues.

ConsVery bad management team. No training and no future. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people hope for promotion and/or pay raise. More training for employees.

Treats analytical scientists with disdain and contempt

Research Scientist III (Former Employee)
Rensselaer, NY (US)

I worked at AMRI full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to instrumentation, exposure to production support.

ConsApalling training program, blatant disregard/disinterest in scientific advancement, rife violations of employment discrimination laws, disproportionately low wages,

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

Get the experience and LEAVE

Research Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good people (some more than others).
- They took me in during this bad economy and offered me good work experience.
- ... nope, I got nothing else..

Cons- Low pay.
- Depressing setting. Honestly, this is really a bummer because everyone knows how shitty the company is to give a crap.
- HR sucks. Big time. They don't listen, I am starting to wonder what they actually do...
- No raises. I received some chuckles and laughter when I even mentioned the word.
- No opportunities for growth.
- Long hours (Being salaried sounds nice but when you are worked like a dog then that amount only seems so meager).
- Low pay.

Advice to Senior Management- I have no advice. I am extremely sorry but you have disappointed me AMRI. I really feel bad writing this because I don't like to talk bad about anyone/thing but you have really let me down. My advice for people wanting to come to Albany, please think long and hard. The capital district is in terrible shape. The atmosphere of Albany is quite dank and the company is equally bad if not worse. You would have a bad working life and not look forward to do anything outside of work either. But if you have friends and family here and need the money and don't care about getting raises, job security, being treated like scum, then this company will welcome you with their greedy hands. I'm done.

International company, local family feel

IT Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than a year

ProsAMRI is consistently increasing their domestic and international service offerings. As an established CRO, AMRI works with several large pharma and other industry partners. Department cross-training and seminars introduce employees to the workings of all departments.

ConsLow salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization. There is a disconnect between "corportate" and "plant" employees causing power struggles during internal projects. Many key departments are resource strapped causing significant bottlenecks and difficulty to complete IT projects on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not consistently operate on the lower end of the industry salary structure. You lose good people when they feel undervalued. More buy-in and support is needed from upper management to drive project completion. Employees should embrace process changes when implementing new software, rather than customizing software to meet "the way we do business".

A company on life support

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProbably one of the only pros that I can mention is working with my fellow colleagues over the past few years. It has been a great experience and the vast majority are fun to be around and work with.

ConsI feel bad for anyone who gets bamboozled into accepting a position at AMRI. Take it from someone that has been with the company for a number of years, the place is on life support. The labs are empty, the Captain has jumped ship and and it's taking on water like the Titanic. The few "old timers" that are left making large salaries will be removed from power very soon when the new chief takes over. Benefits are becoming less and less by the day and raises are non existent anymore. AMRI management expects you to be married to the company and have no personal or family life. If you are sick or need to take a day off for a medical procedure or something you had better get use to taking vacation time. AMRI has a policy of unlimited personal time as long as it is not abused. What they fail to mention is when you use more than a day, you get scolded by HR and direct management, written up or a combo of both. If your idea of benefits is a ping pong table and a busted up Foosball table in the middle of the cafe, well this might be your place. NEVER any praise whatsoever. You do very well, you "meet expectations". You screw up once and it's the end of the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike a previous worker wrote, management wouldn't listen to any advice anyways. If you dare open your mouth I guarantee you will have a bulls eye on your back and be tossed out like yesterdays diapers.

Worked for AMRI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMRI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AMRI CEO William S. Marth. All 57 reviews are posted anonymously by AMRI employees.