AOL

AOL Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance WAS good until they got carried away with the layoffs and doubled employee workload"
    in 80 reviews
  • "good pay, good work environment, learning experience"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "The senior management really don't care much about the company except, for each for their own piece"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Despite being on the list of great work/life balance companies, many in my group find this hard to actually believe"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Reinvention is happening

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work life balance. Enjoy working with many accomplished and smart people. Very supportive of employees in terms of offering opportunities for training and education. AOL is a diamond in the rough, on it's way to shine again.

ConsLack of clarity from management on strategy and company objectives. Slow to embrace changes in market.

Good company

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, flexible work environment. Great benefits, though not at strong as some competitors.

ConsNot a ton of room for growth. Can be more of a reactive company, rather than proactive. layoffs happen fairly often, so the company can feel fractured at times.

Advice to Senior Managementmore career development and opportunities to move up are needed.

Had a great experience working here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AOL as an intern

ProsForward thinking, fun work environment

ConsMust be open to change

2 Year Max

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerous Salary, Free Food, WFH

ConsNo growth opportunities, poor management, treat employees badly

Advice to Senior ManagementTAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Long.

Systems Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery flexible work/life balance. Great freedom to do write code the way you like and use the tools you want.

ConsNot much room for growth. Yearly (at least) lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business plan of laying people off when you are not making your numbers could use some improvement. It's not typically the engineers' fault that products are failing.

Old Thinking, Lots of Layoffs, But great opportunity

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAOL is a great opportunity for young professionals who need to get in with a major corporation and mid-career pros who aren't really looking for too much career growth. You'll work on a lot of different projects with some very intelligent people. The work schedule is flexible and benefits are excellent. Most managers balance work and play very well. There's also budget for professional development that you would be foolish not to take advantage of - it's FREE education!

ConsDon't expect to be challenged too often as most new initiatives are chosen and pursued via a bottleneck process. The company re-hires a lot of former AOL employees instead of churning the "old thinkers" out and replacing them with younger, fresher mindsets. Layoffs seem to be a way of doing business and achieving numbers so make sure you have your plate full before the quarter comes to a close.

Constant Downsizings got tiring

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVacation policy and most bosses allow for flexible hours and working from home. Good compensation and benefits. In the business of helping people.

ConsConstant threat of downsizings, now occurring quarterly. State they are transparent but are not. Cliques.

A world of disappointment

Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

ProsPays well (good comp + bonus); interesting challenges in terms of extending the consumer base

ConsHorrible internal systems; lots of legacy systems both for internal use and for end users; poor choices at the executive level about business strategy; all the company power is in NY so working in other offices doesn't avail one of the chance to have as large of an impact; poor financial discipline in terms of evaluating the performance of products

A roller coaster ride

I worked at AOL

ProsAOL has some of the best minds in the business focused on delivering relevant content to it's mass audience. Being a part of these teams and contributing to the news and various special interests that are of interest to you and published to the many looking for it is very rewarding.

ConsFinding the right part of the business for you can be a challenge. Various environments within are very cut-throat and competitive. The regular layoffs contribute to these challenges and instill a modest sense of uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for and strive to ensure current and future employees receive the training they need to better deliver in their current job and to be successful externally if necessary.

Ok place to learn but not stable

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

ProsGood tech people to work with. Good office location with ample parking. Fun summer crab feasts by the harbor. Lots of opportunities to learn.

ConsBusiness focus changes often. Corporate identity seems to be muddled. The company is quite unstable when I was there. They had to downsize and offer severance to a lot of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has evolved from an ISP to a content and online ad revenue making company. There are still a few business that it gets itself into. Focus on the business that brings the most revenue stream and do well in it.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!

AOL – Why Work for Us?

AOL consumers were shopping, chatting, getting news and information and playing multi-user games online at the dawn of the internet. We were the cornerstone of social media long before anyone knew what a social network… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AOL reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AOL CEO Tim Armstrong. All 571 reviews are posted anonymously by AOL employees.