AOL

AOL Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong

Pros
  • flexible work/life balance (although hours can be long)(in 82 reviews)

• Or if you want to work from home(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk(in 27 reviews)

• The department you work in determines what kind of work life balance you will have(in 10 reviews)

Fun environment, smart engineers.

ProsChance to work on software used by millions. Very organized teams and workflow. Frequent reviews, they will invest in learning new technology.

ConsFrequent layoffs, slow-moving corporate culture. Engineering seems to be safe from layoffs, it seems mostly middle management that falls victim .

Sr web tech

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscompany ambience, flexibility, work and cool work atmosphere

Consgrowth, ok sort of management. No great visibility etc

A fun company, being a Phoenix!

Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCulture driven, amazing talent, fun place to be, great acquisitions, understands the industry and with that cones a great company environment, good salaries and benefits.

ConsThe UK operation is a little detached from the US, but I feel that will change with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazing talent worldwide - utilise it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA (US)

ProsAwesome campus, free parking, great cafeteria. Dressing casual everyday was a bonus.

ConsThe company's future is unknown, so there is a sense of uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementMAke employment options more secure.

Great environment for self starters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great place for growing and championing new ideas. The teams I worked on were highly collaborative, and the people I worked with were brilliant.

ConsToo many of the legacy employees (those there pre-2000), were entrenched in old-school thinking and were more interested in playing politics in-order to "avoid rocking the boat."

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're current strategy will work in the short-term, but your reliance on display advertising will ultimately be your undoing.

Don't do it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt may be bought out by Yahoo!
    Free snacks and drinks
    HuffPo brand saves the company

ConsUnhappy workers, old strategies, understaffed. Very poor social program. They give up on new ideas far too easily. I was there less than half of a year because they threw up their hands and gave up. Another "restructure". Knew-jerk reactions are not a great way to run a company or revive AOL.com.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on something and stick with it. Be clearer on goals and when launching something, go big externally versus promoting in-house. Learn how to use social media to increase user base. 10 million isn't as big of a number as you think.

Great place to work, but don't get comfortable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits, travel opportunities, lots of training available, my fellow employees were almost all intelligent, well-educated and helpful.

ConsManagement seems to have a real problem sticking with projects and tend to cancel them on a moment's notice. Don't get comfortable in your position. Layoffs are constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what the company wants to do and stick with it. Maybe get evaluated for ADD.

Kinda all over the place

ProsThe people. Free lunch once per week, some okay snack options and a really nice office space.

ConsTurn over, downsizing and constant reorg.

good training ground for media

Senior Manager Business Development (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Proslage organization with lots of resources and opportunity to learn across parts of media, tech, sales etc.

Conslarge and inert in many ways

It was a great experience.

ProsIt was a great working environment and the salary was not bad as well.

ConsLack of support from management and continuity in the support of the recommended programs for the employees. Lack of longevity in wellness programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWellness programs, anti- stress and team building programs.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!