ARAMARK

Updated 25 November 2014
2.9

ARAMARK CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • They have great training programs, great work life balance, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

• The upper management that wasn't at the direct location was never seen (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Food Service, Hospital Cafteria. Large Amount of Prep Work 50-60%, Customer Service 25%, Misc tasks 15-25%, Busy 7-2 pm

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy dealing with people, complaints, and providing solutions ARAMARK Food Service is for you. Opportunity to meet people all ages all races. Opportunity to help sick persons visiting the cafeteria and providing them wonderful customer service. First Shift very relaxing after 2:30 pm before 2:30 pm busy and hectic. Evening dinner way more smooth and less stressful than lunch time. Manager usually leaves by 5 or 6 pm making the evening and closing relaxing so you can work at your own pace without getting hassled or yelled at.

Cons

Time Management is Key and Prioritizing your daily work. Great job for a student or someone seeking temporary work, Low Wages / Minimum Wage, Can be stressful, Can become boring day in day out. Can easily incur customer complaints for stupid things out of your control like unavailable products, out of a product, not agreeing with customers, failure to produce a product exactly right. If you have a cool / laidback supervisor your day wont be too bad, however if you're supervisor is a lifer or someone trying to climb the chain you're gonna be hauling all day. Days can get aggravating when getting yelled at by a supervisor, getting yelled at by the manager, and then getting yelled at again by the supervisor after he gets yelled at by the manager. Life all food service, hard work, and low paying jobs older employees often are bitter and expect things their way and younger employees will be laid back and most likely don't care. Best advice is to be friendly and treat all employees with respect, give second chances, If you're getting bullied by experienced lifer employees have a talk with them in private instead of talking back, ignoring them, or continuing to not hear them out.

Spend more time teaching your employees corrections rather than yelling at them when they make a mistake. Offering starting wage of $10-11 would help fill frequent employment turnaround. Hold daily A.M or P.M team meetings allowing each employee to give input on a situation or work problem that is affecting them and then actively spend time trying to think of solutions for them, not just hear and ignore. As the Manager provide notice of special events or unusual times of traffic. Do not just yell at an employee if they receive an average of under secret shopper score, help them develop better conversation skills with customers. Provide fun competition / rewards for your employees to do better than average / standard work. Walk around your managing area more often and get involved with employees and customers and compliment employees openly and in public when they provide excellent customer service or do something out of the ordinary. Avoid getting angry or stressed out during peak hours, if you see an employee slacking or doing something wrong, politely talk to them in private and find out what the problem is and give suggestions instead of orders when possible.

Great work with great opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Prosper, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Prosper, TX (US)

I have been working at ARAMARK part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours
    School year calendar
    Fast pace/stay busy (work day goes quickly)
    Team environment
    Advancement opportunities
    Cross training

Cons

The only con is the benefits, not sure if they get better as you climb the totem pole

Good

I worked at ARAMARK

Pros

Professional, friendly place to work. Not bad at all. Would recommend to someone needing their first job.

Cons

Poor communication, but otherwise not bad. Not much room for upward mobility.

Work on communication.

It was a great way to get introduced to the real world. Overall great company, really good benefits. No cons.

Former Employee - Student Manager in Greenville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Greenville, NC (US)

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to come to work, a lot of growth, also a very diverse workforce. Not micromanaged. very low stress level

Cons

There were no cons. overall a very good place. I have no regrets of working there for my first real world job. I loved the people there and wouldn't trade that experience as an intern

It's a great company, just all depend on which division you are working in. By far I think the CPS/k-12 is the hardest but a great experince

Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok, there is a lot of training for management

Cons

To much driving. I spend more time driving that I actually work

Nothing

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Custodial Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Custodial Associate Manager

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning opportunities, health insurance, 401K,

Cons

Because how big the company is, sometimes it is easy to feel like you are just a employee number.

DMs needs to spend more time meeting front line managers. At the trainings you hear "front line first" Working here more than a year yet still have not m et with our DM. My coworker is in his 6th year and he also has not meet wuth the DM.

Good job

Current Employee - Bartender in Patrick AFB, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Bartender in Patrick AFB, FL (US)

I have been working at ARAMARK part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good place to work if you like set boundaries. There are rules to the job, and as long as you know what they are you excel. Company cares about their employees, and provides assistance if they need it.

Cons

My location has had a revolving door of managers, but right now it seems as though we have the perfect fit.

Listen to your employees. They are who is on the ground floor and know more than you can imagine. You don't have to obey what they recommend, but they have a better feel of what your customers want and what they will not like.

Accounting Senior Assistant

Current Employee - Accounting Senior Assistant in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Senior Assistant in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work experience, management, work life balance, office culture, promotions

Cons

Pay, time off, no offices, company values, promotions

ok company not great

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

holidays cafeteria was closed so no work and paid to fulltime

Cons

manager played favorites talked bad about unions

Summer Intern at Aramark

I worked at ARAMARK as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was a summer intern at Aramark working at HQ in Philadelphia. The work culture was great! Friendly management, they were always willing to help and questions were welcomed. I personally had a great manager who checked in on me and how I was doing.

Cons

Lack of communication made it hard to know what exactly was going on. Sometime management was too busy to respond to questions and that left interns on a wild chase to find the answer in time.

Have more open lines of communication with the interns. Continue to develop the S2L and A2L program more. These people are going to be the future of your company.

ARAMARK Photos