ASDA

Updated 25 November 2014
3.1

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours (when it suits the management) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders (in 13 reviews)

• As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

sales assistant

Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Maidstone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Maidstone, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly staff , above mimimum wage, ability to progress managers do listen, and store is kept clean and tidy

Cons

not any major cons managers are friendly and approchable

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Great environment to work in. Optimistic employees. Fantastic pay. My job is pretty straightforward and I've even become close with workers in the other departments.

Cons

The hours that I do are really early and as a student, it's difficult to stay awake once I've finished because the job is tiring itself.

its a great place to work

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

you can get to learn so many different job roles and great people to work for,and you meet so many different people every day

Cons

to be able to work as part of a team or on your own,customers needs come first always go out your way to help them and give them a good reason to come back

always treat people the same so that everyone can have the chance to grow

working with a great team and caring company

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

local, great manager and deputy manager, good training good helpful team.

Cons

pay not as good as some other retail company's so can loose good workers to these.

top managers try going under cover then you will get best advise to your self's because you will get best experience of todays market and customer as well as colleague needs.

An interesting work environment, with a lack of structure

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training available
    Flexible hours
    occasional bonuses
    10% discount

Cons

Big divide between management and shop floor staff
    lack of HR
    discount seems minimal compared to other competitors
    Training is hard to get
    promotions are equally as hard to achieve

More managers in store,
    Supervisor roles deserve more pay P/H as more responsibility - even if it is £1 more
    More customer service training needed
    Better safety procedures for colleagues
    Customers alway have the upperhand on colleagues especially on csd desk - unfair when working through policy

A Good All-round Employer

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

10% discount, Good opportunities to develop your career should you wish to move up in the ranks within the store.Training is good. Overall, you get to work with a diverse range of colleagues from all different walks of life - fro students, to full-timers, mothers, grandmothers, and those who want to supplement their income.

Cons

The new management system means that more and more managers are off the shop floor and in their offices. ASDA have replaced a few managers with "Section Leaders" - a scheme which has good intentions, but I'm not sure it's 100% just yet. Give it some time, perhaps.

Awesome team feeling and flexibility is saving my university life!

Current Employee - Services (Checkouts/Kiosk/CSD/Self-Scan) in Worcester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility is great for students - once you've been with them for a while you can ask to store swap so that you can go home for Summer/Christmas. Also uni timetables can shift a lot and they're happy to work around you. Leave is easy to get, shift swaps too.

Most managers are great. I've been surprised by other reviews here as my managers have good people skills. Also the development is great, you can train on other departments and aspects of that department. 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities.

I was told by a friend who recommended me for a job at Asda... "When I come to work, it doesn't feel like going to work - I don't mind it.", it's much the same as long as you're not a checkout colleague! I don't mind going to work!

Pay increases every year.

Cons

The company is very hard to get into unless under colleague recommendation. If on services then to get the decent jobs then you need to be 'in' with the right people. Some colleagues think that they're in a higher position than they are.

Some section leaders or managers will get really frustrated with you if you don't take overtime despite not being contractually obliged to do so.

Lots of store policies are Wal-Mart dictated, as is the technology used. Most is ex-Wal-Mart systems used in America before being refurbished. Therefore aside from the customer technology, we're still working on 1999 systems.

The Happy To Help (Mystery Shopper) criteria is sometimes too harsh, especially on self-scan and hybrids.

Upgrade your technology infrastructure, the tills all need updating as does SMART to be able to allow contactless payment.

Many things within the business seem il-thought out - there always seems to be a do then think approach to store strategy. Black Friday, for example, wasn't thought out last year (2013) but is being really well planned this year (2014) - it'll improve the customer experience if you get it right first time.

Ensure development opportunities such as the training buddy scheme and recruitment squad are open to all colleagues. The Happy To Help criteria is too strict on 'Fast Lane', greeting every customer is unrealistic especially when busy. Managers need to back colleagues - it's fine in my store but in others they will overrule your decisions.

The whole business centers on marketing towards mums, consider your wider audience and market our awesome service and colleagues as a bonus point to shopping at Asda!

Section Leaders treat colleagues like they have no brain and Managers don't communicate with the colleagues.

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and nice working atmosphere but always pressure from above.

Cons

Not being listened to is the worst thing and knowing that you are quicker and more efficient if left to get on with it. Hard work and commitment not rewarded and too many changes of systems that are not improving the output.

Listen to concerns of team and not just Section Leaders who are under pressure from you as they take it out on colleagues who are already overworked and it creates a bad feeling. Colleagues know which practices work best and are never consulted. When things go wrong the colleagues bear the brunt despite them working flat out with little or no thanks.

ok part time work

Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

quite flexible with shifts and willing to give overtime when you need it

the other colleagues I work with are very helpful and nice

the job itself is pretty easy when you know what you're doing

it's rewarding when you are actually able to help a customer and they're grateful.

Cons

lack of communication between management to section leaders to colleagues

expected to just know what we've to do during the shift

no structure to the working day, eg- you basically go into work not knowing what you're doing with no routine to follow etc

not enough training given at the start, no actual on the job training just expected to pick up things as you go along

hard work goes unnoticed

please schedule huddles at the start of each shift as it can be confusing when you first start your shift and don't know where to begin!

make a timeplan/timetable to stick up on the warehouse wall or something of jobs needing done throughout the day.

Relaxed, enjoyable but ultimately mind numbing

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great people, often flexible working hours, interesting customers, develops people skills, managers generally leave you to get on with the job, great place to work as a young person.

Cons

Monotony of the work, often difficult to get holidays, feel as if you're just a pair of arms and legs, expected to do favours for the company that never does favours in return, very poor pay, very difficult to raise a family on the ASDA wage.

Employees as Asda need a pay rise as many are very apathetic towards the company who do not pay them enough to live on. If Aldi and Lidl can do it, so can you!