ASDA Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

Former Employee - Kiosk/Customer Service  in  Spennymoor, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Kiosk/Customer Service in Spennymoor, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

i liked the people i worked with, i thought the managers were fair, the breaks were good. i really enjoyed working there.

Cons

the short shifts you sometimes got, and no full time contracts so i had to leave and get a full time job.

managers are better when they are real with you and what i mean by that is not the ones who talk about you behind your back and say things what you haven't done rather than talking to you about it.

Its a great place to be and to tell someone that you work for a well known company.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Wembley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Wembley, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the best thing about working at asda is all the good benefits they give to there collegues

Cons

there are many different challenges and struggles of working here but all in all a good oppurtunity to get promoted and into further training.

Great place to wok

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Professional environment
    Friendly and helpful colleagues
    Network building
    Great place to develop a career
    Celebrate a proactive self-development approach
    Flexible hours

Cons

Got to embrace the culture
    Not enough planning at times
    Can be chaotic and discouraging if you are not a self-starter

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked in many departments over a period of 10 years with several promotions along the way.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Lots of variety, opportunities and change to get involved in. Always a buzz in the head office, feels like your working for a purpose.

Cons

Lots of ambition and plenty of ego to content with.

Keep it simple, don't forget your roots.

Interesting! Company not as staff focused as I would like to see. High staff turnover!

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Folkestone, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Folkestone, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are great.
    10% discount!

Cons

Lots of cutbacks
    Breaks not long enough
    Mangement not as staff focused as they should be resulting in high staff turnover

Care about your staff. Dont take advantage of them

meh.

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

If you have NO previous experience they'll take you on

Cons

The customers are not nice people.

Great as a colleague, stress, stress, stress as management

Current Employee - Section Leader Ambient  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Section Leader Ambient in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The colleagues are like one big family, and everyone gets along togethor. Fun, fast paced working environment.

Cons

Low pay for the job we actually do. Section leaders get the stresses of a department manager in the new management structure for 65p more an hour than colleagues get, the extra stress and working 60 hours a week just isn't worth it!! Development within stores seem to have halted to a stand still with all the displaced managers taking any and all the remaining manager jobs going. Being promised development and promotions and it just seems they are fake promises to keep the section leaders happy!!

You need to invest money into section leaders, they are doing you the same job as department managers did 2 months ago. I'm working in a hot-house store as a section leader and the stresses of the job are grinding me into the ground. We were promsied '38 hour weeks'. Yet I haven't had a week where I have worked less than 50 hours. Let alone, finding hours to actually manage our colleagues, as we are essentially colleagues ourselves. If we didn't work and just managed like in the olden days, the shops would die.

Worked 12 years from colleague through to management & used to enjoy my work there.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People, both colleagues & customers. Good training & transferable skills for future career moves is a bonus.

Cons

In management no work life balance due to crazy Rota's. Expectation to drop life for work whenever required. Pay is not competitive.

Think more about current customers, not just future online customers. Treat Managers with more respect & communicate more. It would earn mutual respect & increase moral.

Shop Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for the work done
    Friendly environment
    Genuinely nice colleagues
    Good benefits (such as discount on shopping)
    I enjoyed working there, it's excellent as a job just to pay the bills because as soon as you leave, you leave any worries or stress there too.

Cons

Very unorganised
    Managers tend to be less than effective
    Too many big egos in management that need to get over themselves and concentrate on the actual job
     I wouldn't want to stay longer than I did because it gets so boring, doing the same old thing every single day. The managers don't make me want to progress either, because I wouldn't want to be the same as them.

My department manager didn't listen or care

Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A supervisor that was trying his best to keep the department organised and together. I was a home delivery driver and the interaction with the customers was the only shining light in a terrible job and company.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay for a huge company, we are the worst paid delivery drivers of all the retailers; a manageress who spent all of her time in the canteen or in the management office; we (the department colleagues) couldn't even get our contracted hours each week as we were frequently stood down on the day we were supposed to work if the home shopping was quiet; no hygiene policy (mould in back of vans); no controlled communication (it was like chinese whispers); personal details such as disciplinary documents left on show for all to read; no department meetings in the 1.5 years I was there; no yearly reviews for colleagues on department; no organisation of staff even though there was a massive emphasis on wages yet colleagues were often stood around wondering what needed to be done; no systems in place.

Listen to your staff and stop burying your heads and hoping problems will go away

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!