ASDA Reviews

Updated 19 October 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Lovely colleagues made a sometimes repetitive and tedious job worth it!

Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general, colleagues were very friendly and welcoming which created a very enjoyable atmosphere to work in. Excellent team leaders and managers always tried to accommodate time off and overtime: great ethos where they are more willing to be flexible with hours if you are willing to with them. Promotions often slow to come up simply due to few people higher up leaving but definitely select the right candidate for the job when promotions do arise and push the right sort of people to go for promotions. Always a member of staff to discuss any issues with and motivation to fix these issues.

Cons

Promotion opportunities often few and far between, sometimes working hours can be particularly tiring if switching between late night shifts and early morning shifts.

Talk to retail assistants more and allow retail assistants the opportunity to talk to you more, particularly when bringing in new ideas and procedures as passing messages and ideas up or down via team leaders and line managers often means these ideas get filtered and convoluted.

Nice experience so far!

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Good colleagues, pay rate good, good atmosphere at work, customers generally nice, discount card. Management happy to cover shop floor jobs when staff shortages arise.

Cons

Busy periods cause section leaders to get stressed out. Sometimes difficult to get off checkout when needing a "comfort' break.

It's bad enough to have to ask for a 'comfort' break (I try not to but sometimes you have to!) but can some policy be put in so that checkout staff are not left waiting 40 minutes as I was on one occasion.

Great company

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

challenging and great benefits, you will be rewarded with a bonus if the store and company deliver KRA's and profit

Cons

Can work very long hours which you don't get back

if you want a challenge asda is for you

A very good experience

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

open and honest approach during an assessment day.Great package for Warehouse Manager additional benefits.

Cons

No cons for now. All fine. Just accepted an offer.

none

Great inclusive environment but they company definitely get more than their money's worth out of you!

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams and personalities
    Genuinely caring management in most instances
    good benefits

Cons

Seriously long hours
    Culture of over-staying (in early, staying late) frowned upon if you leave on time despite management roles having no overtime associated

Perhaps a cultural review would be good but when working a such tight margins, staffing levels will always be at the bare minimum meaning huge workloads for all!

Its a great place to be and to tell someone that you work for a well known company.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Wembley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Wembley, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best thing about working at asda is all the good benefits they give to there collegues

Cons

there are many different challenges and struggles of working here but all in all a good oppurtunity to get promoted and into further training.

great place to work

Former Employee - Kiosk/Customer Service in Spennymoor, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Kiosk/Customer Service in Spennymoor, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i liked the people i worked with, i thought the managers were fair, the breaks were good. i really enjoyed working there.

Cons

the short shifts you sometimes got, and no full time contracts so i had to leave and get a full time job.

managers are better when they are real with you and what i mean by that is not the ones who talk about you behind your back and say things what you haven't done rather than talking to you about it.

Over worked - underpaid

Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a great team and meeting some of the nicest people working here.

Cons

Working overtime and not getting paid. Being forced to take time off and not getting paid because they had issues with wages. Always focused on targets and how the business is doing rather than how their colleagues feel.

Treat colleagues like people and realise your business needs people to achieve targets and not expect colleagues to work for free to gain the same results and "underspend" on wages.

Okay

Current Employee - Bakery Assistant
    Current Employee - Bakery Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

Colleagues are friendly, so I have a good laugh. Managers leave you alone to get on with what need to be done, easy to shift swap and pick up overtime. I can also have a good sing along to asda fm. Pay is just about good enough.

Cons

As a bakery assistant I have to go into a freezer multiple times especially on an evening shift, I dread this the most. only 10 % discount and the department I work in is understaffed. Can be boring and tiring as I am on my feet all the time running around.

its a chore

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

my workmates are good craic and are the only thing that make the place enjoyable, its money

Cons

very very repetitive, im a part time colleague and we get the crap shifts, every hour at the weekend is basically spent in asda, no sundays off unless taken as a holiday, not even paid

work life balance at weekends are cat, some management cannot manage