ASDA Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked in many departments over a period of 10 years with several promotions along the way.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Lots of variety, opportunities and change to get involved in. Always a buzz in the head office, feels like your working for a purpose.

Cons

Lots of ambition and plenty of ego to content with.

Keep it simple, don't forget your roots.

Best Job so far

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

The largest benefit is that all shifts for each week are the same so that you always know when you work, with overtime being easy to pick up if needed/wanted. The staff discount is also a bonus as, with this being both the nearest supermarket to my home as well as my place of work it feels like i'm getting something back, so to speak, from all the shopping that I do in the store. I have recommended working here to others, including my sister who is currently waiting for an interview.

Cons

It can be quite a challenge to speak to the head of department, or there can be communication issues between shift managers. an example of this is that, as a seasonal member of staff I was informed after Christmas not to work, then told I could do overtime shifts, then was informed by a shift manager that I should have been doing my designated shift, but had never been informed of it previously. Another issue I have is that the office staff leave quite early on in the day so if you work mostly evenings like myself it is difficult to get in touch with them for things such as new uniform, or in my fellow colleagues case, arranging things for her pregnancy such as clothing, as hers no longer fits her.

As I have said it is a challenge to speak to the head of department when on alternate shifts, so it would be ideal to maybe have some sort of area to leave a note, or to be given hours that they are available to speak to.

An Excellent Part-time Employer

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A great philosophy and mission statement which is impressed upon every employee from day one. The staff are always treated like the most precious commodity in the store and communication channels were made clear. Plus The subsidised canteen, friendly colleagues and extensive time-off options made my time there very enjoyable.

Cons

Difficult customers, sometimes overwhelming staff shortages, and lack of formal training. The company's recruitment process was effective although was somewhat overbearing and may have alienated some older candidates if not handled sensitively.

Maintain and improve training packages for long-term employees, keep the mission statement and benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Asda

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Not a bad student job

Cons

The pay and pay rises are appalling

Security Colleague

Current Employee - Security Colleague  in  Woking, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Security Colleague in Woking, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a fast paced environment, with a very warm, friendly and extremely helpful management team who are available to be called upon any time.

Cons

There really aren't any! If you want negative comments purely for the sake of negative comments, then... perhaps the in-store coffee could be of a better quality.

Bring-in a massage therapist once a month to reward your colleagues with a complimentary treatment...

Disappointing

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff discount, emerging relationships with the public, flexible working hours, overtime if wanted. very good at giving holiday times that are requested

Cons

Very much a place that is "if your face fits", lots of rules that work for some but not for others which can lead to major resentment. Major differences in break time between departments

Be more face on, I can go weeks on end without seeing a manager

Shop Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for the work done
    Friendly environment
    Genuinely nice colleagues
    Good benefits (such as discount on shopping)
    I enjoyed working there, it's excellent as a job just to pay the bills because as soon as you leave, you leave any worries or stress there too.

Cons

Very unorganised
    Managers tend to be less than effective
    Too many big egos in management that need to get over themselves and concentrate on the actual job
     I wouldn't want to stay longer than I did because it gets so boring, doing the same old thing every single day. The managers don't make me want to progress either, because I wouldn't want to be the same as them.

My department manager didn't listen or care

Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A supervisor that was trying his best to keep the department organised and together. I was a home delivery driver and the interaction with the customers was the only shining light in a terrible job and company.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay for a huge company, we are the worst paid delivery drivers of all the retailers; a manageress who spent all of her time in the canteen or in the management office; we (the department colleagues) couldn't even get our contracted hours each week as we were frequently stood down on the day we were supposed to work if the home shopping was quiet; no hygiene policy (mould in back of vans); no controlled communication (it was like chinese whispers); personal details such as disciplinary documents left on show for all to read; no department meetings in the 1.5 years I was there; no yearly reviews for colleagues on department; no organisation of staff even though there was a massive emphasis on wages yet colleagues were often stood around wondering what needed to be done; no systems in place.

Listen to your staff and stop burying your heads and hoping problems will go away

Asda Assistant

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

easy application process
    interview was very easy and straightforward, you just have to research customer service beforehand and you will be well equipped for it
    not too many hours
    easy to get overtime
    good entry job for students
    good discounts

Cons

monotonous
    pay is not fantastic
    stacking shelves can get boring

be more like john lewis and involve the employees a bit more
    stop giving orders and listen to some first hand advice

Hit and miss

Current Employee - Personal Shopper  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- My fellow colleagues are generally decent people.
    - The 10% discount comes in handy.
    - Certain benefits are decent, but a faff to arrange.

Cons

- The pay is terrible and massively below the work expected of some.
    - Most of the managers are incredibly cliquey and will treat you like something they've stepped in on the street unless you brown nose or are sleeping with them.
    - A lot of managers and section leaders are young and have very little retail or people experience.
    - Many of the older colleagues can get away with whatever they want as the aforementioned young managers are too afraid to discipline them.
    - Our GSM, who joined our store 7 months ago, hasn't said a single word to me and many others.
    - Equipment is woefully out of date and incredibly unreliable (across the entire store).
    - Colleagues that leave are replaced after months rather than days or weeks, if at all.
    - Because of this, departments are understaffed and the colleagues there are expected to pick up the slack.
    - The store is always messy and dreadfully understocked.
    - Most customers are fine, but there are more than enough who are downright rude and look down on you.
    - Our canteen has recently changed to serve breakfast only with vending machines for the rest of the time, yet Asda wants colleagues to live a healthy lifestyle.
    - The yearly "Your Voice" is routinely ignored by management.
    - Management only care and make a real effort to help on the shop floor when there's a visit, because a bad visit could lead to a dressing down for them. If this effort was made for customers the store might offer a decent shopping experience and also make things less of a panic when there are visits.

- Your colleagues are the ones who make you look good, treat them with a bit of respect.
    - You don't have to be mates with someone or cheating on your partner with someone to be nice to them.
    - If you see something that needs doing, do it. Stop delegating through store manager to department manager to section leader to colleague.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!