AT&T

6,467 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
3,022 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 316 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 275 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 294 reviews)

More Highlights

Early days were great with strong leadership that understood the Australian Market well.

Former Employee - Global Account Director in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Global Account Director in Melbourne

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All the people supporting sales are great to work with as they are supportive and are willing to go the extra mile in a process orientated environment.

Cons

Salary is competitive although work-life balance is challenging working across multiple time zones. Limited solution set available in Asia-Pac.

Find some strong differentiation in the Australian market place. Stop being a me too player and relying on the brand.

Awesome! Very positive

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1 of the best things about AT&T is the training you receive as a New Hire. The company sends you to a designated location for a month's worth of training. They teach you the basics of sales and how to maximize your customers in-store experiences. While at training if it is necessary, they will pay to put you in a hotel, give you an American Express card for daily meals and reimburse you for any travel expenses in a very timely manor. The training you receive is top of the line.

Next, lets talk pay. At&t pays their employees extremely well. With a base salary with paid overtime and full benefits and a compensation program, you won't want to leave the company just for that reason. They take care of their employees for the time you spend with them.

Room for advancement. At AT&T moving up is a breeze if your motivated and a hard working individual. My current assistant store manager has only been with the company 10 months and is already looking at becoming a small business rep.

Cons

The work and life balance. The hours are long and tiring to the point were when you get home all you want to do is sleep and on your days off as well.

Customers you have to deal with and the ability for a sales rep to control the interaction . That is one of the biggest complaint I have about the company. A lot of times customers come into the store hot and as sales reps we don't have the discretion or ability to waive ridiculous fees or fix issues. Everything seems like it has to be refereed to customer care which makes for a bad customer experience in store.

Let your team members know you appreciate their hard work and dedication and with out them, they wouldn't have customers.

The pay is good, the hours can be long.

Current Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Champaign, IL (US)
    Current Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Champaign, IL (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AT&T is a great company to work for if you have no college experience. They pay for all of your training and any tools you need. Everything you do is tracked by a numbers system, and as long as you are even slightly mediocre at your job, you'll have one as long as you want. You can pretty much work all the overtime you want. That's my bread and butter. Time and a half after 40hrs worked, that means I'm making over $32/hr. I started out at $15.50 and after 2 years im making $21.53. My first year I made $43k, and $55k this year. The union bargains wage increases and other workers rights every four years (IBEW) Our health benefits are very good, especially if you've got a family. 2 weeks vacation every year, along with personal days, flex holidays, etc, all paid. If you need a day off and you know in advanced you just get on the website, pick what day you need and that's thats.

Cons

You must have some sort of relationship with technology, if you aren't tech savvy, you're probably going to get frustrated and quit within the first week. Customers expect you to fix any and everything that is wrong with their gadgets. You are AT&T, you are apparently a walking technological master. You must have all the answers? Right?!

Let's talk about the weather. Now I live/work in Illinois. We experience about 2 spring months 4 swelteringly humid summer months, 2 months of fall and then hell itself freezes over. I personally hate the cold. We work in all elements but when it's -24 degrees out and you have to walk thru a backyard with a latter on your shoulder thru 2-3 feet of snow and the wind is blowing and you're gloves are frozen to your fingers, you really start questioning your motive to live. You just want to lay down in the nice soft snow and take a nap and forget that you hate yourself. Seriously though, Mother Nature can be brutal depending of geographical location.

If you're lazy, please, just move along. I've seen guys come and go with this job. They come in all enthusiastic and then once they get a taste of doing the job themselves and their soul is crushed they start half-assing their job and then we're back out on jobs they've done, days later, fixing something that they should've done the first go round. If this starts happening, the senior technicians may or may not coordinate to have you ousted for your insubordination. And they should. Because you are unworthy. Do your job man! That's what they pay you for!

You can add small things to our job, like Myatt education, but if you don't give me MSOC time to do that, then it is not going to get done. My time isn't free.

Definitely a great company to work for

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits.
    - Great pay
    - Technology centered
    - Commission really makes the job worthwhile. Easily the best entry based commission job out there.

Cons

If you don't like pressure or have goals to meet or quotas to fulfill, then this is the wrong job for you. AT&T is CONSTANTLY restructuring. Push X product this month, next month you'll be pushing something entirely different. You succeed, great. You fail and it's your job. This is sales, not rocket science.

Micro managing is useless. Have a backbone and learn to be more hands-on with customers instead of sitting in the back waiting for someone to mess up. Management, from my experience, only ever calls you into the office if you're under-performing or in trouble, never congratulatory. This isolates you from your employees and divides trust.

Sales rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Good pay, good people, good 401k

Cons

High stress, so many numbers to hit

Worked in product procurement and logistics for AT&T

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

The staff is very skilled and helpful and was able to get me up to speed with my job and what was need of me. They were also very supportive through out my time at AT&T.

Cons

It seemed there wasn't a sufficeient number of people to handle all of the work delegated to them at the time I was working there.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Call Center in Toledo Junction, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Call Center in Toledo Junction, OH (US)

I worked at AT&T

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere great team support

Cons

Don't have anything bad to say about company

Keep up the good work

Love this company

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Pay, Prizes, Rewards, Trips, Benefits, 401k 6% match

Cons

Work life balance
    Hours of operation
    Commission goals high
    Management comp structure not as competitve as sales reps

Be motivated, competitive, stay ahead of the curve and take care of your people

Technical Data Center Project Manager

Former Employee - Technical Data Center Manager in Fairfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Data Center Manager in Fairfield, CA (US)

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company provides mass opportunities to learn and work in environment with the latest and greatest technology. Very good team environment, Fair pay and excellent benefits, pay employee bonuses every year based on performance.

Cons

Very difficult to advance and move especially for strong performers become locked into positions for long periods based on large corporate structure. Many rules, processes and procedures making it difficult getting things done in a timely fashion.

Create positive team and working environments, rewarding your employees especially performers with salary increases and annual bonuses when the company is profiting. Make sure to have interest in employees career path, assist and provide employees vehicle to learn whatever is necessary to satisfy short and long term career path goals objectives so the employee don't feel like they just have a job but a career. Employee will feel like they truly contribute to company growth and not just work for the company but they are a part of the company, an asset to the company. Remember its based on performance which they have earned every bit of it. Now you have a complete hard working contributing employee not just with a job working for your company. You have a happy, performing employee working as a team player, pursuing a career , part of the company earning their worth, everyone wins !