AT&T

5,897 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,742 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 298 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 261 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 283 reviews)

More Highlights

Early days were great with strong leadership that understood the Australian Market well.

Former Employee - Global Account Director in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Global Account Director in Melbourne

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All the people supporting sales are great to work with as they are supportive and are willing to go the extra mile in a process orientated environment.

Cons

Salary is competitive although work-life balance is challenging working across multiple time zones. Limited solution set available in Asia-Pac.

Find some strong differentiation in the Australian market place. Stop being a me too player and relying on the brand.

Overall Good Company - I've enjoyed my 30+ years.

Current Employee - PMTS in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - PMTS in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Work is challenging if not outright FUN. As a lab, new tech is being actively analyzed.

Cons

The company has a heavily political atmosphere. It's not necessarily what you know but who you know. To much brown-nosing.
    We have too few technically proficient workers and way too many "lets call a meeting" project managers. A lot of wasted time.
    Legacy SBC employees get paid more than legacy BellSouth employees. Don't ask me how I know. I know, people talk.

Quit outsourcing. Quit paying new hires the same (or more) than high rated long time employees. The pay plan obviously needs to be revised. How can a new employee I trained be hired at a higher rate than me?

Create a more vibrant technical career ladder. Today we have but a paper shell of one.

Quit the turmoil. Who in their right mind starts up capital spending in march and shuts it down in june?

You need to bring back proprietorship in the company. Most new hires see this as only a temp job. They know you are screwing the long time employees with stagnant wages. Who would want to buy into this?

Long history, lots of changes

Current Employee - Network Operations Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Network Operations Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strength of the company is from the old Southwestern Bell roots, not from the legacy AT&T company, which was bought by SBC in 2005. SBC took the AT&T name, but the management team was from SBC.
    Lots of opportunities for development if you are in the right city.
    Innovative company which has survived throughout the turbulence of the telecom industry.
    Very talented people working on new technology.
    Good (but not great) pay and benefits.

Cons

If you are not mobile, you won't advance, regardless of how good your skills are.
    Many of the people who came over when SBC bought AT&T still have the legacy AT&T mindset of "budget cutting is the only way to be profitable."
    Assignments in the older (wireline) side of the business are dead end jobs, but getting out of those jobs into other assignments is tough.
    Outside technical and customer-facing jobs are high pressure, poorly paid, and typically dead-end.

Use your own technology to get the best workers, regardless of physical location.
    Be more honest about future plans and don't limit opportunities for people who want to move into other parts of the business.
    Don't try to achieve profitability by short-changing employees. They will leave, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, and will cause damage to the brand in the process.

rsc

Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Deer Park, NY (US)
    Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Deer Park, NY (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is really good especially since it does not require a college degree. i would recommend that anyone work here.

Cons

the hours aren't the best out there. working here you cant have a family because the schedules are made based on seniority.

Great Company with Excellent Benefits

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Sulphur, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Sulphur, LA (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, Co Workers, Benefits, Values, Job Security. It really is a great company to work for. Especially if you do not hold a degree.

Cons

Constant Change and Expectations. The constant change and hours are why I left. Also managers playing favorites (happens everywhere). Also new hires earned more than seasoned employees. It sends a message that seniority is not appreciated and you are replaceable.

Consider how changes effect front line employees and not just shareholders

I have had the opportunity to move up in the company. If you work hard it pays off. I love this company

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, good people, if you move up they will take care of you

Cons

None, good company, none good company

Listen to your people. Micro management isn't the key

Amazing progressive collaborative team environment

Current Employee - Marketing Analytics in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analytics in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

team oriented very fast paced always ahead of technology curve, superior environment

Cons

working as contractor not a lot of opportunity for training and learning cutting edge technologies

More training opportunities to advance in analytics field

A Very Good Company with Many New Changes for the Future

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked 30 plus years at AT&T and have had a good tenure while there. Lots of changes over the last 30 years and more on the way. This will not be the company I hired on with as they have had to change with competition and a growing need for more advanced services.

Cons

AT&T is a union shop and my experiences with the CWA Union were very negative. Additionally, when I was promoted to local first level management it was a nightmare with the micromanagement that was applied by mid and upper management. Goals were established that opposed each other which made life very confusing. Also, lots of favoritism.

Allow lower levels of management to make decisions that will foster teamwork with their subordinates. Make sensible requests that allow lower management to work reasonable hours and grow as managers.

technician

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

great benefits, compensation and management

Cons

none at this moment to report

Awesome pay, solid management

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Pay culturesvgreat, great values, tons of resources

Cons

None at all theplace is rocking

Keep it up