AVG Technologies

Updated 18 November 2014
Updated 18 November 2014
3.8

Gary Kovacs

Pros
  • goog salary in beijing good manager good salary (in 7 reviews)

• The people are great, benefits are not so good and very limited work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company culture is extremely toxic - lack of clear direction from top-management and lots of office politics in middle-management (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance could use a lot of work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A globally recognized brand making a real difference to the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time

Pros

Super-smart team, and a leadership that is very driven and hungry for success, while maintaining a healthy balance of family values underpinned with exceptionally strong ethical and corporate values. It's a pleasure to feel valued and part of a truly global team.

Cons

The tyranny of distance and time zone differences plague all global companies, meaning that communication across geo's has historically been a weak spot, but is improving greatly through better use of internal technology of late.

Let's make sure we can keep the brand fresh and relevant for the next generation of users that will be relying on AVG to keep their Data and Devices secure.

More than I expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are very professional, driven, but still friendly. The idea about the responsibilities I was given before I joined was accurate, and although it is a bigger challenge than I expected, I really like it here. All the people that I work with (and it's a lot!), are really helpful, even where I would not expect it really.
    The remuneration is good, benefits are wide, the working environment and culture is really nice.

Cons

Given the size of the company I think the organization structure could be simpler. Even after months I am discovering new people that I should take into account.

OKAY

I worked at AVG Technologies

Pros

The salary is good, perks are good, management is OK, nice place to work

Cons

Work life balance could use a lot of work. People are expected to work many hours.

Focus on work life balance

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Software Developer in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very professional people and co workers.
    - convenient working hours.
    - Big and global company.
    - self development opportunities.
    - Yearly off sites for the company employees.
    - Decorated offices with many games for the use of the employees.

Cons

Although it is a big and global company, relocation opportunities are not common.

Keep investing in your workers and not take them for granted. Looks like it pays off.

Great people needing better vision

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful aside from occasional office politics

Good pay, though on the low side of market value

Good amenities for workers especially in San Francisco with free lunches and stocked pantry.

Good work life balance

Cons

Departments are geographically dispersed in multiple time zones

Pay increase is low even at optimal performance for employees.

Little vision in exec teams where employees are being constantly polled on what to do next for products, etc. Asking employees is not new, but the frequency at AVG is worrisome.

Executive team can be disengaged and behind the curve on trends muddling what kind of company AVG is.

Little new blood in leadership roles from pre-IPO days stalls progress means new thinking is not commonly accepted.

Paralysis through analysis causes stalemates on critical situations and new ideas.

Start by optimizing the exiting product line for functionality and security...especially anti-virus.

Review major projects and their timelines and compare to other companies timelines for similar projects.

It's well known internally AVG is painfully slow at execution. Dive into why.

Very good teamwork and interesting job

Current Employee - Team Leader in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to solve challenging technical problems (high traffic services), great team, good benefits, very good carreer opportunities

Cons

Too much politics to fully enjoy the work (mainly cross departments), architecture not fully under control of technical people (business picking the tools by marketing materials without getting feedback from technical people)

Trust the team and architects with picking the right tools and technologies, and guide them by giving business requirements and SLAs. Focus on eliminating the politics from business departments. Approve architecture strategy for at least 2-3 years and make it company public.

Exciting and challenging through out the day

Current Employee - Help Desk Agent in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Help Desk Agent in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AVG Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-The people who work here are amazing
    -Opportunity to travel
    -Decent pay coming in
    -Fun atmosphere
    -Room to grow

Cons

-Needs more structure
    -You start on contract with no benefits and just get renewed with no promise of being permanent after set time
    -Pay doesn't go up from when you start, it seems to be stuck at one level with no increases despite reviews (team wide)
    -Pay has not even increased for inflation so every year we actually make less and less and especially as minimum wage goes up

-Review our compensation procedures, we start off decent but after 2-3 years in a company and after reviews no one gets a pay increase and no increase for inflation either.

Growth, dynamics, team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AVG Technologies is doing a great job in order to keep it's steep growth. The market is dynamic, so the company is evolving dynamically. The growth is driven by a team of friendly and smart people who are not afraid of work. Pay is slightly above average.

Cons

The dynamics is not for everyone. If you want a quiet work, AVG is not for you.

Enjoying the challenges of a growing and changing environment. Exciting but occasionally frustrating.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, generous and kind. Exciting work.

Cons

Many departments have immature processes and it can be difficult to get some normal things accomplished without involving a number of people to help you.

Continue to emphasize collaboration and inter-departmental fusion.

A breath of fresh air. A company that understand common sense. AVG is a great company.

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at a company make all the difference. AVG treats it's employees with respect and dignity. It's fun to work with people that have a sense of humor and that are really good people. Being paid properly and having a budget also helps.

Cons

As with all public companies, nothing happens as fast as we would like. I'm still working on this. It better than the government. Being in support is sometimes tough as the hours can be extremely long.

Recognize the dedication that employees are providing. Provide more staff so we can share the load. I really enjoy working directly for someone with so much experience and intelligence.