AVG Technologies

Updated 25 February 2015
Updated 25 February 2015
2.7

Gary Kovacs

Pros
  • goog salary in beijing good manager good salary (in 7 reviews)

• The people are great, benefits are not so good and very limited work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company culture is extremely toxic - lack of clear direction from top-management and lots of office politics in middle-management (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance could use a lot of work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A globally recognized brand making a real difference to the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time

Pros

Super-smart team, and a leadership that is very driven and hungry for success, while maintaining a healthy balance of family values underpinned with exceptionally strong ethical and corporate values. It's a pleasure to feel valued and part of a truly global team.

Cons

The tyranny of distance and time zone differences plague all global companies, meaning that communication across geo's has historically been a weak spot, but is improving greatly through better use of internal technology of late.

Let's make sure we can keep the brand fresh and relevant for the next generation of users that will be relying on AVG to keep their Data and Devices secure.

Great company with modern thinking and friendly, smart people.

Current Employee - Junior Test Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Junior Test Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

AVG provide good environment for working, career and personal growth.

Cons

AVG needs to complete Agile transformation also in high management levels.

Ok place to work but upper managment needs to follow a road map

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good technology, great co-workers, catered lunches and snacks.

Cons

Good people keep leaving, either they quit or groups of people get laid off on change of direction but the change of direction keeps changing causing the employees to feel that there is no directions.

Stop the fighting at the upper managment level....

Expect you to deliver 100% yet give you little to no direction or tools to achieve set goals or develop

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits, Set Hours, Company Name, Company background , Know logo, Established customer base, Known in their channel, Work days, Holidays off

Cons

No roles or structure for advancement you are what you are, Don't give you a clear line of sight on how to achieve the goals they set, We ask for tools that we never receive, It's like we are expected to make tools on our on, Pay is not on track with other companies similar to other companies in the market, The goals are so high they are hard to hit and often goals are set when the month or quarter is already up, but are held accountable for missing them, Not really a "fun" environment, managers are not focused on employee moral! Employees constantly feel like their walking on thin ice. Management hears what we need but views it as complaining and instead of fixing issues, holds us accountable for voicing our opinions

Provide Goals in a timely manner, Create more structure around each role. Provide more tools when asked for, and in a timely manner, Listen to the employees at the ground floor, Provide more structure this company has been around to long to be this unorganized, Help drive employee moral, managers get focused on numbers and don't focus on employees enjoying what they do. At this point its more a there's the door type environment.

Fun team, difficult company

I worked at AVG Technologies

Pros

There was a strong, positive office culture with interesting problems. The pay was good and benefits adequate.

Cons

There seemed to be constant conflict between offices and no unified long term vision at that time. Vertical integration meant that critical responsibilities were held by people with conflicting priorities and in different time zones.

Sweet office near Caltrain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like I mentioned before, there is a great open office converted from an old warehouse with brick interior and exterior.
    Catered lunch
    Accessible and passionate executives

Cons

Constant turnover, which is normal considering the Bay Area market.

OKAY

I worked at AVG Technologies

Pros

The salary is good, perks are good, management is OK, nice place to work

Cons

Work life balance could use a lot of work. People are expected to work many hours.

Focus on work life balance

More than I expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are very professional, driven, but still friendly. The idea about the responsibilities I was given before I joined was accurate, and although it is a bigger challenge than I expected, I really like it here. All the people that I work with (and it's a lot!), are really helpful, even where I would not expect it really.
    The remuneration is good, benefits are wide, the working environment and culture is really nice.

Cons

Given the size of the company I think the organization structure could be simpler. Even after months I am discovering new people that I should take into account.

Great people needing better vision

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful aside from occasional office politics

Good pay, though on the low side of market value

Good amenities for workers especially in San Francisco with free lunches and stocked pantry.

Good work life balance

Cons

Departments are geographically dispersed in multiple time zones

Pay increase is low even at optimal performance for employees.

Little vision in exec teams where employees are being constantly polled on what to do next for products, etc. Asking employees is not new, but the frequency at AVG is worrisome.

Executive team can be disengaged and behind the curve on trends muddling what kind of company AVG is.

Little new blood in leadership roles from pre-IPO days stalls progress means new thinking is not commonly accepted.

Paralysis through analysis causes stalemates on critical situations and new ideas.

Start by optimizing the exiting product line for functionality and security...especially anti-virus.

Review major projects and their timelines and compare to other companies timelines for similar projects.

It's well known internally AVG is painfully slow at execution. Dive into why.

my first 6 months for this company

Current Employee - Developer in Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Developer in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting. Colleagues are very helpful and friendly. The environment is amazed.

Cons

The salary should be slightly higher but is good.