AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 24 August 2014

3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours most of the time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary offered in Manasquan (in 8 reviews)

• Sell to family and friends" marketing mentality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to work, have to be self motivated though.

Former Employee - Management Assistant  in  Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive network of an international firm, in-house training, certification sponsorship (for series 7 ect)

Cons

Not well known publicly, which is an important thing for a financial management firm to get a reputation so, you know, people will invest with you. And its commission based salaries for the most part so good luck building up that book of business to gain a decent earnings.

The Hamden office has it right, others lack energy or functional organization.

Great Place to Build a Career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Columbia, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial business model allows me to serve my client's best interests and grow my practice. AXA provides a platform for advisors to give feedback to senior management. The company also invests heavily to make us leaders in a digital environment.

Cons

Like any entrepreneurial business, the career requires a lot of hard work and can frustrate those who are not willing to commit the effort needed to create a successful practice.

Continue investing in digital and technology so we can remain leaders.

Great job for the right person

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is the best in the industry

Cons

Its a tough job. Requires diligence and perseverance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People are very happy and help each other.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of potential and a lot of freedom. Work hard and make a great living or just try to do it and flounder, it is your choice.

Cons

The public is very smart and savvy on how to avoid salespeople, you need to be very creative and genuine.

Keep up the good work

Success depends entirely on you

Current Employee - Financial Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Create your own schedule
    Control your success
    Flexibility
    Incredible earnings potential
    One of the few companies that will hire you even if you don't have a series 6 or 7 and will sponsor you for the test.

Cons

100% prospecting and sales oriented.
    Must have a large natural market and be willing to tap into that market or be willing to spend an extraordinary amount of time prospecting (cold calling, canvassing, networking).
    Can take a while before commissions start rolling in.

If you don't want to sell insurance, you're going to have a bad time!

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION

*Great place to start your career, and they're willing to hire almost anyone (even without your licenses)
    *Will help you get your licenses if you don't have them
    *Great position title if you want to switch jobs later on
    *Flexible work schedule. You work when you want to, but with that said, expect to work long hours if you want to succeed.
    *If you're self motivated, you will do not badly.
    *If you're self motivated, charismatic, and good looking, that is when you will make money.
    *Great coworkers (not including the managers-- see cons section)-- everyone understands the stress and frustrations of working with fickle clients. They will stand by you and help you as much as they can.
    *If you have a good manager, you will probably have a better time. That said, your chances of getting a good manager are pretty slim
    *You do make good money if you're good at what you do.
    *pretty good training: they teach you a lot if you have the time to sit in on all of the meetings
    *good benefits- commissions pay out at pretty high rates
    *our life insurance products are not bad in my opinion
    *Senior Executive Vice President was an amazing leader; I only wish the district managers were the same.

Cons

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION
    ALSO: this is not a vindictive reaction to being fired; I have successfully hit quota thus far and expect to continue to do so in the future.
    NOW, WHERE TO BEGIN?

*high turnover-- in my time there, I have seen too many people come and go. Because they hire everyone, most people are not actually fit for the job. Chances are you are not fit in the long term either (~90% industry attrition rate)
    *middle management is largely HORRENDOUS; they're driven by greed, which is understandable since this is a sales job at the end of the day, but they don't help you much
    *they bait you with success stories that have you chasing the dream that you are THE one to make it big, but one day the sobering reality will hit that you are probably not the one that will make the big bucks
    *they, in my opinion, bait and switch you (which ironically is an unethical action in the industry)
    Example 1- I was told I would be working in wealth management (which is not completely untrue), but if you want to hit quota, you usually begin by selling insurance (was not told this)
    Example 2- promise of two options when joining the company: option 1 included a salary, option 2 included no salary but larger commissions. When you finish your probation period, option 1 sometimes magically disappears.
    *our annuity products, in my opinion, are not the most competitive in the industry
    Elaboration- products look good on paper, but- in practice- are so-so. Most successful advisors don't sell AXA products (so I've heard)
    *forced to sell before you completely understand the product
    Example 1- sold my family members multiple products that were probably not the best options for them (partner may or may not be motivated by greed/quota pressures e.g. managers)

The list could go on and on.

DISCLAIMER: this review constitutes only my OPINION

My Senior Executive Vice President was an excellent fellow. If only he saw what the managers were like. They're greedy, pushy, and don't care to help. If you're wondering why AXA Advisors has so many bad reviews, look at your middle management. Something is obviously wrong.

Hard to start, big upside

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you already have a book of business you can really scale

Cons

No salary to help getting started

Give small salaries to employees coming out of college while they build a rolodex of clients.

Good company. You get out of it what you put into it.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training with a very helpful staff and management. Strong sales method. If you follow their sales training to the end, you should be successful.

Cons

AXA Advisors tries to position itself and a balanced non-biased financial planning firm. However, it needs to be made very clear that they are in the business of selling life insurance.

Hit and Miss

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product mix to offer customers and there are some decent advisors that are willing to partner with you knowing that it benefits them and the company.

Cons

Ultimately you are on an island. For all the talk of great training, reputation, and support you are expected to do the classic "hit up your family/friends/previous co-workers" to get business and then work on referrals. You will find that on the insurance side that there is a long time frame before you get paid. very frustrating

Take some ownership with the people you bring in the company because the place is turnover-city. Brutal the way people work hard and nobody seems to care if they stay: stop parroting the company line and the formula for success when it really depends upon the partnership of senior advisors working with new people to get them through the first 2 years while they develop their own personal markets.

Good experience, but moving on

Former Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a good place to start after college. Learned a lot about different product platforms and underwriting process. Was able to arrange time off to travel.

Cons

It feels as though you never "arrived" or accomplished anything since the tasks/processes are continual. Also bad pay and benefits are at the whim of the employer you work for.

An HR department and corporate to invest in administrative support for Advisors. Advisors are great at seller, but more often than not bad at managing.

Worked for AXA Advisors? Contribute to the Community!