AXA Advisors

Updated 28 January 2015
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Branch Operations employee satisfaction depends on specific branch location

Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

great benefits, strong company, ongoing online training programs

Cons

the sales manager is king of the branch. if you work well with this person and if the branch is growing and successful, you may enjoy the branch. If not, it's going to be a tough struggle. Also, local branch offices feel a little like a small company, but with huge bureaucratic home office politics and confusion to report back to.

the branch operations manager used to have a separate manager and liaison. AXA no longer has this supporting manager to help the operations team run a successful branch. This has created a disastrous environment for the operations team.

great stepping stone

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the office culture was great, for a few years. The team that was initially in place worked very well together and it made work activities as well as outside work functions enjoyable. The training was second to none, they made sure you understood the model and how to implement it.

Cons

the contracts are not structured toward your advantage as a sales rep, its a constant grind as any sales job is. Once you start to get to a point were your production out paces the contract you will have no choice but to find an independent broker dealer to really advance your career if sales is where you stay.

management pried a little to much into the day to day.

Really depend on who your manager is

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (the more you work, you more you produce... just like any sales job)
    Great marketing materials available to use with presentations

Cons

Very limited income for the first few year unless you get really lucky
    Your success is very highly dependent on 1) luck and 2) who your manager is. If your manager is competent and able to guide and teach you in the right path, you will do well. If you manager isn't, then you're better off not working there.

Good products, not great brand recognition, mediocre training/mentoring

Former Employee - Financial Professional
    Former Employee - Financial Professional

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great products and the ability to sell non-proprietary life insurance and annuities when appropriate for a client. Work-life balance is challenging, if you're starting from the beginning.

Cons

Very little monetary support; your on full commission within 3 months of starting, and you have to meet minimums to even be offered a contract. Quality of training/mentoring can vary widely; not sure they really train their sales managers at all. To really be of full-service to your clients, you need to spend money on broker/dealer access, etc.

Really be up front with new reps on what it's going to take. Train sales managers/mentors on how to train and support new reps.

Good Company

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Good Incentives, Potential for Great money

Cons

Lots of time to put in for a slight chance of sucess

Provide better incentives, offer % of cases to new employees to keep them motivated

Self starting

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Great company and plenty of resources that can help with your start and growth at the company. office culture is decent as well

Cons

This company is not well known in the US and will grow to be better but management is highly focused on the compensation from underlings

A bit monotonous but you learn a lot.

Current Employee - Intern in Falls Church, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Falls Church, VA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of learning experiences and you get to practice your technical skills in software such as excel and morningstar

Cons

Somewhat monotonous and repetitive. Also, you sometimes feel sort of lost and unsure of what to do.

Be more active in working with and advising interns.

Axa provides great support and training

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

Training. Managers care about their advisors. Great platform and products

Cons

Not the greatest salary but easy to make money

Require slackers to make more calls

Excellent opportunity, provided with all that is necessary for success

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Eat what you kill. For those individuals who possess great ambition such as myself, this is the perfect platform to create an income to suit your lifestyle. For those who prefer an average lifestyle making a comfortable base salary, you have entered the wrong industry. "I am a lion; I rather starve in the wilderness than be fed in a cage."

-Rewarded for your efforts. It is very easy to see the differences in character regarding an employee who makes $35k a year and is destined for failure versus one who makes $700k a year. You WILL make $150k your first year if you are a person who strives for greatness.

-Not once was an attempt made to tap into my natural market.

-Great leadership from my manager in developing the habits of successful people. I cannot speak for any other manager, however if you do not feel your manager is up to par I cannot imagine it is too difficult to seek a transition.

-Team support alongside friendly yet fierce competition.

Cons

-Around a 90% turnover rate. If you lack self-motivation and determination, are not hard-working, pessimistic in nature and tend to make excuses on a regular basis--you will fail. Please save your time and find employment featuring a stable salary. This industry is not for the weak of mind, the turnover rate is incredibly high for a reason. If you can envision yourself making the excuses seen in many of the posts on this page, written by failures who cannot own up to their faults--I am speaking directly to you.

-There are some rotten apples as in any office, it is difficult to understand how some made it through the interview process. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but laziness is evident from the manner a person dresses and conducts themselves--as well as their attitude towards life.

-Start up costs among other fees. Not really a con considering these are involved in any business venture in addition to the fact that you are investing in your career and book of clients--but again--this is geared towards those who tend to make an excuse for their own failure. What is $3k to a $1M+ producer? A single fitted suit?

Become slightly more selective in the interview process. I understand the desire for equal opportunity, but simply performing well in an undergraduate program is not enough to identify one who will be successful in the financial services industry.

A tough and rewarding career.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Open architecture - While AXA does have proprietary products, I can still go out to the network if needed to provide the best solutions for my clients. AXA was the closest to being an independent as I could find and still have the backing and training of a very large, successful company.
    Autonomy - Schedule your day the way you want. Your success is in your own hands.

Cons

Autonomy - being new to the industry I would have liked more one on one mentoring. In the Portland office there are plenty of useful training meetings but you still have to be very self directed.

Set expectations. I knew going in (Thanks to some personal mentors) that this was a very hard industry to break into. I have seen many people come and go but the one thing they had in common was not truly understanding that it takes time to build a successful practice. This business is very rewarding but difficult to start.