AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours most of the time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary offered in Manasquan (in 8 reviews)

• Sell to family and friends" marketing mentality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great place to work good people

Cons

money not great but if you work hard you can make bank

be willing to put in time

make sure you're ready

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great products great company one of the largest finance companies in the world.

Cons

its difficult to get started in this industry make sure you are ready when considering this as a career choice.

growing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Despite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

Cons

It's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network.
    Definitely not for everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacking professionalism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The ability to build a network. Learn about front-office work. Flexible hours. Great location in Midtown.

Cons

Office culture: lacking professionalism. Testosterone-filled. Loud, inappropriate banter. Inappropriate dress-code. Unpaid. Indifferent managers who want to maximize profit earning potential. Leaves intern with mundane business development work where the intern does not gain any knowledge.

Treat employees and interns better. Don't hire incompetent employees who spend more time gossiping than working.

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Definitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

Cons

Depending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Yes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

Karr Barth/AXA Advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Karr Barth is one of the top AXA offices in the country for good reason. The training is second to none; coming from another broker/dealer and new to the business, the training I received and continue to receive at Karr Barth is amazing. Management does an extremely good job assisting new advisors in launching their business.

Cons

Being an advisor is extremely difficult--no one at Karr Barth will try and hide that from you. It is difficult for good reason, however. Other reviews cite having to pay for licensing or tapping your "natural market" as negatives. Launching a business that holds a tangible value has a cost up front. However, having ownership over your own business allows you the freedom to be as successful or unsuccessful as you want to be--there is no ceiling.

Keep up the good work.

If you work hard you will be compensated.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth, Independence, Sales Driven, Pays well

Cons

Not much help, Need to work with others

Give the younger guys more tools for success

Good

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Biggest financial company in the world

Cons

No warm market, need to find it by your owe

No True Leadership

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can earn your FINRA licensing.

Cons

Without real leadership this group of offices in West LA, Woodland Hills, Irvine and Koreatown will always under perform. Branch managers say they have an open door policy, but don't have time or interest in speaking to you. Divisional Managers lack management and leadership skills.
    You can't hire everyone and spread managers too thin to train the new advisors, Make a mistake and you might receive a rude call from the compliance bulldog. I could never understand a word she said but knew she was not happy. I spent long days learning from those who would give me time but in the end I realized that this group did not care about me at all. I wanted to learn and bee successful and I put in the time, but needed guidance.

Stop looking at this as a numbers game. You hire everyone who interviews and then it is sink or swim. Those with a good network in the area seem to survive and those who don't have a network fail and move on. Take the time to get to know your people and grow them into Financial Advisors instead of being hands off.

As long as you are aware there is no job security

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Good training and the ability to earn an excellent income with hard work. Flexibility in working hours although you will probably work far more hours than in a traditional job.

Cons

You are encouraged to believe that you are starting your own business, but the business is always theirs.
    Selling life insurance and annuities produces renewals that are supposed to be with you as long as the business is on the books and as long as you are vested. There is a small pension, but the allure of the insurance business is that your renewals will be your true pension. The contract you sign says that at some point the renewals become "service fees". Even if you are still servicing the clients and have your licence, you must still must produce new business or they will terminate you and you will lose all "service fees". that you have built up over the years and "your" clients will be given to other agents or retained by the company.

New business should not be required of a representative after an agent reaches 65 and signs retirement papers. . If the agent is compliant and servicing his business he should not be required to go out and hustle new business. Terminating these representatives, not allowing the client to be serviced by their trusted adviser and absorbing their hard earned fees is tantamount to stealing. I would say that you should find a firm that actually lets you keep your clients as long as you are vested and able to service their accounts.

Worked for AXA Advisors? Contribute to the Community!