AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated 9 October 2014
3.2

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Salary, plus commissions flexible schedule and the opportunity to meet different people everyday (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• And its commission based salaries for the most part so good luck building up that book of business to gain a decent earnings (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Bad At All

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Great opportunities for hard workers.

Cons

Lots of hours are needed and expected, but not required management.

Sales not an Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy way to get your Series 7/66 & LAH Licenses. Can provide some beneficial financial services industry experience. If you know a lot of people with large retirement accounts you can make large sums of money very quickly.

Cons

You will be forced to sell to your friends, family and then just about anyone who will still talk to you or answer your phone calls. Little to no help will be given to you once they see you as having tapped your "natural market" and you will be discarded. Compensation is purely commission based making almost everything you sell an inherent conflict of interest.

Provide some support for your advisors. Marketing, financial, training or anything would be helpful.

Awesome if your district and branch managers are good

Current Employee - Financial Consultant - Sales Force Associate
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant - Sales Force Associate

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

-This is going to depend entirely on which branch you're based out of but the leadership is friendly and there are always people looking to help anyone who's new.
    -Lot's of flexibility with hours and time off
    -Eat what you kill (commission; "pro" if you're good)
    -Unlimited earning potential

Cons

-Not a 40 hours a week/9-5 job. If you want to survive, you'll work at least 50 every week.
    -Eat what you kill (commission)
    -Lots of "no", you have to have thick skin
    -High rate of attrition (same as anyone in the business)

Take Initiative

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Great people to work with and it's a nice balance between professionalism and having fun. As an intern you aren't disrespected and you can become part of the team if you want to be. Do your work, don't complain and they'll appreciate you, the work isn't too complicated. You can attend client meetings as well, but you have to ask-again take initiative. They are very lax with students and you can rearrange your schedule, they don't mind if you take a day off or two for tests or other things.

Cons

There isn't really much formal training so you have to quickly pick up things yourself and take initiative to learn. Also the internship isn't really on a track for a financial advisor role, I look at it more as a way to potentially get hired or make connections. Again if you want to learn things about being an advisor you have to take initiative and ask A LOT of questions.
    If you aren't into learning or selling insurance, this isn't the right place to learn about other investment services. Yes they do money management and other things, but it is very limited and again you to have actively search for someone who actually does those things and work with them.
    Sometimes it's hard to look at your day and say "wow I just gained an invaluable amount of knowledge", but then again you are just an intern.. This goes back to the grooming aspect

Work with interns to grow them into the advisors you want them to be. It's almost like you're expecting them to leave, when you should be courting them to stay. There are may areas for improvement that the branch can take:
    -utilize intern to make you more money, phone calls, scheduling reviews, gathering client information
    -Stress how much money you can make from a given client or case
    -Make them smarter and more knowledgeable than when they walked in by providing classes/presentations specifically for interns.

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

Cons

Depending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Yes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

Karr Barth/AXA Advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Karr Barth is one of the top AXA offices in the country for good reason. The training is second to none; coming from another broker/dealer and new to the business, the training I received and continue to receive at Karr Barth is amazing. Management does an extremely good job assisting new advisors in launching their business.

Cons

Being an advisor is extremely difficult--no one at Karr Barth will try and hide that from you. It is difficult for good reason, however. Other reviews cite having to pay for licensing or tapping your "natural market" as negatives. Launching a business that holds a tangible value has a cost up front. However, having ownership over your own business allows you the freedom to be as successful or unsuccessful as you want to be--there is no ceiling.

Keep up the good work.

Lots of potential & good training but have deep pockets for your first few years

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It all depends on the manager of the branch. No company can dictate the culture of a local agency, so check out your VP and local culture. My branch was big on joint work, so expect to split commissions. Good training for those new to the business, company paid travel to training in NY during 2nd year. Good wholesalers, insurance and investment. Good products with option to go outside brokerage (limited crump) on insurance products if needed. Technology is decent, e-apps and salesforce. LPL is behind on adapting site to iPad.o

Cons

Brand recognition in US, which can be important to newbies, continues to be a challenge. Expenses can be high (E&O, appointments, limited free marketing materials, purchase your own computer & stationary, LPL fees, etc). Training was REQUIRED in my branch even if you don't need it, until you hit certain production numbers.
     Joint work is great training, but check out your work partner on FINRA broker check. I didn't and lost a big client (1m aum) because my "expert" joint work partner had a client complaint and I didn't know about it.
    Need a STRONG natural market to approach or lack of filters. Orphan clients have been recycled many many times.

training is good, incorporate some how to run a business (my VP didn't know much about home office deductions for statutory employees). Develop customized training at local branch level to avoid wasting time in training when it's not needed.
    senior company execs can seem a tad conceited - introducing themselves to a room of 100+ advisors with their first names when we have no idea who they are or their position, seemed like we were expected to know.

No True Leadership

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can earn your FINRA licensing.

Cons

Without real leadership this group of offices in West LA, Woodland Hills, Irvine and Koreatown will always under perform. Branch managers say they have an open door policy, but don't have time or interest in speaking to you. Divisional Managers lack management and leadership skills.
    You can't hire everyone and spread managers too thin to train the new advisors, Make a mistake and you might receive a rude call from the compliance bulldog. I could never understand a word she said but knew she was not happy. I spent long days learning from those who would give me time but in the end I realized that this group did not care about me at all. I wanted to learn and bee successful and I put in the time, but needed guidance.

Stop looking at this as a numbers game. You hire everyone who interviews and then it is sink or swim. Those with a good network in the area seem to survive and those who don't have a network fail and move on. Take the time to get to know your people and grow them into Financial Advisors instead of being hands off.

advisor

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work good people

Cons

money not great but if you work hard you can make bank

be willing to put in time

make sure you're ready

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great products great company one of the largest finance companies in the world.

Cons

its difficult to get started in this industry make sure you are ready when considering this as a career choice.