AXA Advisors

www.axa-equitable.com/axa/careers/axa-advisors.html
Employer Engaged

Excellent opportunity, provided with all that is necessary for success

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Eat what you kill. For those individuals who possess great ambition such as myself, this is the perfect platform to create an income to suit your lifestyle. For those who prefer an average lifestyle making a comfortable base salary, you have entered the wrong industry. "I am a lion; I rather starve in the wilderness than be fed in a cage."

-Rewarded for your efforts. It is very easy to see the differences in character regarding an employee who makes $35k a year and is destined for failure versus one who makes $700k a year. You WILL make $150k your first year if you are a person who strives for greatness.

-Not once was an attempt made to tap into my natural market.

-Great leadership from my manager in developing the habits of successful people. I cannot speak for any other manager, however if you do not feel your manager is up to par I cannot imagine it is too difficult to seek a transition.

-Team support alongside friendly yet fierce competition.

Cons

-Around a 90% turnover rate. If you lack self-motivation and determination, are not hard-working, pessimistic in nature and tend to make excuses on a regular basis--you will fail. Please save your time and find employment featuring a stable salary. This industry is not for the weak of mind, the turnover rate is incredibly high for a reason. If you can envision yourself making the excuses seen in many of the posts on this page, written by failures who cannot own up to their faults--I am speaking directly to you.

-There are some rotten apples as in any office, it is difficult to understand how some made it through the interview process. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but laziness is evident from the manner a person dresses and conducts themselves--as well as their attitude towards life.

-Start up costs among other fees. Not really a con considering these are involved in any business venture in addition to the fact that you are investing in your career and book of clients--but again--this is geared towards those who tend to make an excuse for their own failure. What is $3k to a $1M+ producer? A single fitted suit?

Become slightly more selective in the interview process. I understand the desire for equal opportunity, but simply performing well in an undergraduate program is not enough to identify one who will be successful in the financial services industry.

A bit monotonous but you learn a lot.

Current Intern - Intern in Falls Church, VA (US)
    Current Intern - Intern in Falls Church, VA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of learning experiences and you get to practice your technical skills in software such as excel and morningstar

Cons

Somewhat monotonous and repetitive. Also, you sometimes feel sort of lost and unsure of what to do.

Be more active in working with and advising interns.

Axa provides great support and training

I have been working at AXA Advisors

Pros

Training. Managers care about their advisors. Great platform and products

Cons

Not the greatest salary but easy to make money

Require slackers to make more calls

A tough and rewarding career.

Current Contractor - Financial Representative in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Contractor - Financial Representative in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Open architecture - While AXA does have proprietary products, I can still go out to the network if needed to provide the best solutions for my clients. AXA was the closest to being an independent as I could find and still have the backing and training of a very large, successful company.
    Autonomy - Schedule your day the way you want. Your success is in your own hands.

Cons

Autonomy - being new to the industry I would have liked more one on one mentoring. In the Portland office there are plenty of useful training meetings but you still have to be very self directed.

Set expectations. I knew going in (Thanks to some personal mentors) that this was a very hard industry to break into. I have seen many people come and go but the one thing they had in common was not truly understanding that it takes time to build a successful practice. This business is very rewarding but difficult to start.

Rewarding!

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited potential to build your book of business as fast and as big as you can, unlimited product offerings, great culture of hard work and dedicated advisors

Cons

It's very hard at first, starting from scratch and having to learn to be a financial advisor overnight, training program helps overcome a lot of the fear but still hard work

Great culture, management does a good job letting people do their own thing if they're doing well, but also helps people if they are struggling

If you have ethics this isn't a good place for you.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money, but only if you sell every client an annuity or insurance.

Cons

Management and upper management only care about selling products that aren't in the clients best interests!

Have some ethics and do what's in the clients best interests.

Not much different than most financial advising companies

Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The harder you work, the more you will make. Almost entirely commission based
    -If you have a lot of customers/clients from another business who trust you, this job is for you. I would say this is ideal for people with previous sales experience and knows a little about finance. Be prepared to contact all your old clients. If you don't have 50-100 people minimum you have worked/sold for in the past, forget it.

Cons

-sell to your friends and family if you don't have enough former clients
    -rent your office back to you

I really did not agree with AXA Advisors approach to financial planning.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Flexibility in terms of your schedule. Sky is the limit depending on how hard you want to work.

Cons

They push their proprietary products regardless of what is right for the client.

An annuity isn't always the best option for everyone.

Upstate New York Branches (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany) provide great support for new advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely helpful management team, training is consistent and very useful, income can easily be $100,000+ in first year, love being a part of a team, great benefits, fun work environment, get to help out clients and your work day feels meaningful.

Cons

It can be a lot of hours in the first few years, but this is more of a career that you are building your own financial planning practice. As time goes on the hours become much less. I know the management team here is very selective in who they bring in, so be prepared to show them you are willing to work in the interview process.

Continue with upward mobility for advisors to become managers and build out their own teams.

Starting a career as a Financial Planner/Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any other possible entrepreneurial opportunity where you can begin with no start-up money and build a business that can pay you for what you did year 1, for your whole career. The management team is extremely dedicated to the success of their Advisors. I started in the business over 10 years ago without a strong natural market and was able to build a financial planning practice where I am able to make my own hours, help the people I really care about, and control my income. The atmosphere is very competitive and team oriented and is excellent for previous athletes like myself.

Cons

If you do not want to work a lot of hours at the beginning of your career, or you do not have the entrepreneurial spirit, this is not the place for you. This is a very demanding business and takes a lot of time to build. There is times you have to invest in yourself and your business, so if you do not want to spend your own money to help yourself grow, this will be a bad fit as well.