Abbott Labs

Abbott Labs Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White

Miles D. White

Pros
  • Management does heavily emphasize the work/life balance within departments(in 39 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance challenges, direction of new company(in 14 reviews)

• Large company with a slow bureaucratic administrative paperwork that can be overwhelming(in 14 reviews)

Great pay, great benefits and perks, an overall great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsPay is competitive, benefits are great, and that's expected from a healthcare company. Lately management has been transparent in regards to where the company is going, even if negative (ex. cutting costs, outsourcing, etc.). Lots of room to move around if you're an engineer or scientist. Standard daytime operating hours (M-F 8-5).

ConsSome micromanagement, typical corporate bureaucracy, occasional large-scale layoffs, lots of chiefs for so little amount of Indians.

Great place to work

ProsChallenging environment, people are treated well, solid company

Constoo much bureaucracy, moving jobs outside of Canada

Good place to begin a pharma sales career

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsIt has been a long time since I've worked at Abbott, but when I was recruited by the district manager the salary was about the median for a pharma rep at the time. The benefits of course were excellent. I had a territory comprising most of urban Northern Virginia and some of Washington DC, which kept me busy. A company car was provided and AMEX card, all of the trappings of an early 1990s pharma field sales job.

ConsMy district manager was very heavy handed in general-not unusual for those days, high pressure to succeed and exceed goals for my territory. Nothing I didn't expect from a Fortune 100 company manager. There was a very long, three week away-from-home training period when I first started with the company. Tests every night and again lots of pressure. If you deal with pressure well-and I did, you will be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't give advice to management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Science

ProsEnvironment, people, weather, parking, equipment

ConsMoving, space, telephone, computer, systems

Solid company, but limited opportunity in Temecula

Middle Management (Current Employee) Temecula, CA (US)

ProsEmployees encouraged to follow the rules and do the right thing.
    Continued profitability.
    Great environment for those are interested in working abroad.
    Very good benefits.

ConsHigh management rotation interferes with productivity.
    Managers making changes before they understand the job.
    Due to numerous lay offs, the organization is top-heavy and advancement is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is very engineering heavy. It is lacking in human management strategies. I would encourage training managers in people management skills.
    Employees can quickly move from high performer to low performer depending on management changes.

Record keeper

Record Keeper (Former Employee) Ponce, PR (US)

ProsAdditional training, meeting and conference

ConsEmployee meeting, training additional and overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementSatified

Big Pharma with good products

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood products and great benefits. Ability to move up the chain if determined.

ConsPay Scale. Has the big pharma pay to it. Not rewarded for true performance. Partnership "pods", so who knows who is getting the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementScale back sales teams. Pay for performance.

Keep your mouth shut, and don't rock the boat.

Network (Former Employee) Abbott Park, IL (US)

ProsCo-workers were nice, at least to my face. Work/life balance seems good.

ConsAbbott employees see hesitant to question decisions by upper management. Some seem generally scared when you dare question the status quo.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees to shake the boat a bit. Allow them to voice opinions in a safe environment without fear.

good company but they always laid people off due to bringing production to another country.

Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) Temecula, CA (US)

ProsThe people I work with . i love them

ConsAlways at the edge because every 3 or 6 months the lay people off.

Advice to Senior Managementi love working with all the people in Abbott

Great company, but old culture

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsSalary, benefits, and job experience are great. Love the global environment.

ConsToo much micromanagement from such an old employee workforce. They care more about when you come in and come out then the quality of your work. Very difficult to move around since you have to wait for someone else to leave their position first. Managers also know each other so if your good with your manager, you may be able to get in another position, if not you're screwed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and relax. Let employees do their jobs and don't knit pick at tiny unimportant things.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!