Abbott Labs

Updated 16 November 2014
3.5

Abbott Labs Chairman and CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Promote work-life balance but sometimes performance review go the other direction (in 46 reviews)

• Pay is good, offer good benefits for Permanently employed employee's (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • not that good work-life balance; not good interaction between departments (in 18 reviews)

• As a large company, innovation and creativity is stifled a bit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company places strong emphasis on employee happiness

Cons

Major layoff's in the past few years resulting instability

Focus on strategic planning

Great place to work

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Excellent training and benefits, long work hours and complex selling environment, company believes in promoting from within, great culture and family oriented company

Cons

promotions require specific career track, few options for field based employees,

Abbott Labs...Good place to work

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician/Mechanic in Fairfield, CA (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Manufactures great products. In Fairfield,Ca, we produced Glucerna and Zone protein bars. At other plants, medical instruments and diagnostic devices were produced. I didn't realize how large this company was or how good the products were until I worked there. The pay was decent and if you like lots of overtime, this is the place to be.
    Good hard working individuals from the top to the bottom. (No disrespect intended)

Cons

1) The six days a week has an affect on your quality of life.
    2) Like most companies, you will start as a contractor. If your a good employee, the company may extend your contract as a contractor. This means no benefits as a permanent employee. This happened to me. While I appreciated the extension, I wanted to truly be a part of the company.
    3) As a temp, (contractor), I was on the outside looking in for the most part. I wanted to contribute to overall improvement where my voice would be heard.

Have more consideration for the employees in regards to quality of life. Hire enough good people to cover the shifts without so much overtime. Production and safety will improve when people are rested and sharp.
    Keep the good employees by truly making them a part of the team as a permanent employee.

Fantastic Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Abbott Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Abbott Park, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Abbott has a wonderful company culture. I worked for great people and was given the opportunity to take on as much responsibility as I wanted in my internship.

Cons

Employees seemed to be older on average, so working for Abbott as a young person might be limited in terms of networking and relationships.

Logistically, have IT necessities ready for intern on day one so that he or she may begin contributing immediately.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Career developments, networking, personal growth, understand business strategy

Cons

Company size sometimes makes it difficult for integrative strategic agendas.

Sales, Marketing, Sales Management, Senior Manager in-house

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for upward mobility when I was employed there except for the last 2 years during downturn of economy. Good people to work with, quality products

Cons

I really loved my time at Abbott. I had 2 managers in a 20 year career I did not enjoy working for. Both were demoted. The other leaders I worked for were great.

Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in Abbott Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Abbott Park, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is my goal to return to Abbott. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Timing is everything. Due to unavoidable life events I had to leave.

Good work environment, but very corporate.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Abbott Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Abbott Park, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company size afforded opportunities for growth and movement into new positions. Generally good career progression opportunities.

Cons

Pretty political and networked environment. A very relationship based culture. You will do well if you network and know the right people.

Poor performers are allowed to "hide" in this environment. Hold people accountable.

Solid Company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New hire training and ongoing professional development is good. The company culture is positive overall but can vary by division. Total compensation package is industry competitive to superior.

Cons

Resources are not as available as one might expect for a company of this size. Career growth is 100 % dependent on your manager in many areas.

Don't forget where you came from.

First job out of school

Former Employee - LAN/WAN Network Operations Technician in Abbott Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - LAN/WAN Network Operations Technician in Abbott Park, IL (US)

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience - was able to get my hands on a lot of technologies (load balancers, WAN accelerators, switches and routers), interacted with people around the world, treated everyone fairly the same and held them with similar responsibilities, great team, knew their stuff, certifications didn't decide who you were here unlike so other experiences I've had, plenty of opportunities, organization is growing and is currently in a weird time with the Abbott/Abbvie split

Cons

Full time contract position - was my first taste at shift work, can't say that I minded it, but it was and still is tough adjusting to shifts...mainly 3rd

Please be aware my compensation rating is that of the contracting company not Abbott!

This can be taken as a pro or con, mostly con since the defacto network vendor is Cisco, and is also more marketable, but for layer 2/3 switches the vendor is Extreme. There was a slight learning curve, but the syntax is fairly easy to adjust too.

Interacted with associate managers, although my experience was fine with them but would like to have been able to have senior managements insight or have visibility into managements decisions

Abbott Labs Photos