Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 2,030 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

(1,124 ratings)

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart(in 43 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage(in 231 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in(in 68 reviews)

2,030 Employee Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch 2yr employee

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsBarely any responsibilities. Easy Money. Opportunity to model for the company and visit other countries to open stores. Great discount on products and first look into inventory. You work when you want to really.

ConsYoung power hungry managers. Low pay. No promotions unless you have a 4 year degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe don't get paid much or get moved up in the company at all... So don't have the employees do the majority of your job when you get paid so much more than us.

Easy Summer money

Sales Model (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

Pros- chance to easily get manager experience if you stay there long enough
    - attractive looking co-workers who are there for the same reason

Cons- Management has no idea what they're doing. They're barley any older than you.
    - Not much to look forward to but folding.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and seem a little more professional

Sales Associate position is good for high schoolers.

Sales Associate (Model) (Former Employee)

ProsThis was great for my time between high school and college. The other sales associates were great to work with and quite good looking. If you have a demanding social life, the sales associate position would be great for you as you don't really get many hours in a six-day work week.

ConsMost of the managers are condescending. Hours suck to begin with (four hour shifts) and the number of shifts I got kept decreasing. I think I started with four then ended up with only two by the time I quit. They have so many sales associates that no one (even a high schooler) can make decent spending money. The rules are too strict regarding clothing, jewelry, hair, makeup, shoes, etc. The store is always in complete disarray but three sales associates are expected to provide customer service as well as maintain the floor. Schedules had to be printed out from your store. Having them e-mailed to employees would be far more convenient for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so strict about the dress code. It's not that serious. Be more friendly and polite toward your employees. They seem to be doing enough work to allow you time to chit chat and giggle with friends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned how not to do Customer Service

Impact Team Member/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

ProsI enjoyed some of the people that I worked with, and learned to fold clothes really well.

ConsThe culture of the company is to let the clothes sell themselves-- meaning, don't help customers unless they seek you out and ask for help. Also, the company pays minimum wage and doesn't treat employees well (looks policy is ridiculous and non-inclusive)-- hence the high turnover (even for the retail industry) of both part-time and full-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and let them be individuals, rather than frat stars in blue, white and grey shirts with jeans and flip-flops. The looks policy needs an update to be more inclusive and to shake the image of A&F being a store for "bros".

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Vienna, VA (US)

ProsRoom for advancement, promotions, retail experience

Conswork-life balance, ethics, pay, management

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your employees, rebrand to face the current market, seek new upper level management

A team disunited

Impact Team (Former Employee)

ProsUncomplicated job requirement(s) and attractive employees

ConsFrequently changing management makes it difficult as a new employee to get scheduled (employed 6 months and worked a total of 8 shifts; however I was scheduled for 4-5 call-ins/week every week)
    Unprofessional work environment
    Lack of investment in others' growth from the management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your associates more.

Impact Manager

Impact Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job-a little tedious but easy nontheless.

ConsVain company-they only care about appearances and not the human behind the face.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting some much pressure on people to recruit "models". It's not realistic.

Few hours, repetitive work, poor employee management.

Impact Team Member (Former Employee) Rogers, AR (US)

ProsBroad experience - inventory, shipment, stock, and registers are all entry level tasks. This can help if you're looking for a job in the future, especially if it involves greeting customers.

ConsPoor management, hours are distributed across many employees rather than concentrated on a reasonable staff size. Apparently termination does not require them to notify you, either.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees.

Short term & Inflexible

Impact Team Member/Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThey give you a "free" uniform: vneck/polo, skinny jeans and flip flops. They take a portion of it from your paycheck, but nothing close to what it would cost originally. There is also a 30% discount rate for abercrombie kids and Abercrombie & Fitch, and 20% off for Hollister and Gilly Hicks.

ConsThe stores are extremely dark. It was sometimes hard for me to distinguish the color of the clothing. There are also too many part time employees since they hire nonstop throughout the year. I only got 2-3 shifts a week sometimes. The work environment varied dramatically, depending on the manager you were working with. Also, you had to go into the store every Friday to print your schedule so you can know if you have a shift the following week. This is definitely a short term job for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are very inconsistent management throughout the Abercrombie team. The amount of part time workers restrict us from building a strong connection to one another and to the workplace as well.

Associate

Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsFun place to work. Easy and enjoyable staff. Nice employee discounts.

ConsAsked to call in one hour before shift and told whether they need you or not. If business slows, you are asked to leave early. If they are busy, you may be called to come in for the rush. Hard to plan on a consistent income.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate steady work environment with scheduled hours maintained. Pay minimum of four hours to allow staff to pay for their gas. Eliminate call in requirement. It's impossible to plan employee days around a possible work schedule.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!