Abercrombie & Fitch

2.8 1,781 reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries

Mike Jeffries

1,781 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pleasant work environment; social and laid-back"
    in 85 reviews
  • "The staff is fun and mostly good looking people which is a plus if you are single"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "This job will pay minimum wage, which is okay if you are in high school"
    in 178 reviews
  • "Work/Life Balance - They don't care about what's going on outside of work"
    in 57 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company driven by appearance.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Orland Park, IL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a good management training program and it is easy to get promoted, assuming you are good looking.

ConsThere is far too much emphasis on physical appearance and it is very difficult to have any sort of work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees based on competency.

Store Management Should Be Your Last Resort

Management (In Stores) (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

ProsGood benefits, great workplace for LGBT

ConsPay is rock bottom for a full-time job (including half-time pay for every hour you work over 40); high expectations of management members with little resources; schedule is taxing and inconsistent; upper management plays favorites; upper management will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to produce the results they want. Your day is filled with trying to manipulate teenagers to care and perform at levels of full-time, invested individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your priorities straight. Worry less about maintaining fronts and producing appearances and more about saving this drowning business.

Bad hours and unrealistic work expectations

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a manager, working with your associates is the best part about the job. You'll connect and make friends with many people

Cons-Very bad hours
-No work / social life balance because you never have consecutive days off in a row

Very Unorganized

Impact Team Member (Current Employee)
Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsThe other team members were extremely helpful and supportive throughout the only day I worked there.

ConsThe company worries more about its image rather than anything else. It was very hard to keep up to standards. You need to wear their clothing to guarantee work. A lot of theft that was nearly impossible to stop. I was hired in October and kept getting my first shift rescheduled until Grey Thursday and Black Friday with no training and a total of 15 hours.

Easy, but annoying/boring

Model (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

ProsReally easy job to do, not too many hours, most of the time the managers don't really care what's going on (unless you're closing). Helps you be more outgoing (at least it did for me -- greeting people at the door actually made me a lot less shy). Also, you have hot co-workers which is always a plus.

ConsNot too many hours, minimum wage job, closing always sucks because either you have to leave early and don't get paid for the full shift you were scheduled for, or you are forced to stay late when you have other things to do. I think only about 30% of the times I closed we actually left near the times when we were supposed to. You also have to deal with super annoying customers (I once had a lady who I told to stop sitting on one of the tables that had clothes on it, so her boyfriend came into the room I was working in and intentionally knocked over several piles of clothes just to make me refold them.)

disappointing

Role Model (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are really cool and fun people that you meet here. It was a great networking experience and the work load is very light for the models

ConsA lot of people are fake, there's a lot of tension between the models, cashiers, and impact (the people who do the actual back bending work). The pay isn't that great, and the fierce cologne suffocates you

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about people than the profits

sucks

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Prosnice people, decent hours, good discounts, great location

Consmanagement doesn't know what they are doing

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire more experienced people

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

ProsThe coworkers I had were very nice since we were all young. You stay in one spot and talk about specials and tag lines. The salary could have been better but it was my first job.

ConsThey want you to work all the time, but when they realize they gave you too many hours they cut you to basically one or two days of work which wasn't good because the scheduling was never consistent

Great people, terrible company

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best part of working for A&F for so long has been the amazing people I've met throughout my time. Some of the best people I've ever met have come from it. The collaborative work environment within management teams allows for everyone to have input at some level. Gain experience in training and managing people-generally a positive experience in that way.

ConsYou are extremely underpaid, under appreciated and over worked. The expectation from home office is absurd compared to the amount of resources you are given to reach them. Part time associate hours have been cut to such an extreme that it is very difficult to accomplish tasks and maintain a store up to company standard. At times I have worked over 70 hour weeks with absolutely no overtime compensation and no thank you or any words of appreciation from upper management because our best efforts still haven't been enough. Managers are easily replaceable and you will be told whatever they feel they need to say to get you to do what they want. Little to no work/life balance. People selection process is superficial and embarrassing. This company is lucky it has amazing, hardworking and passionate people working for it for it would not have survived as long as it has.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers for the incredible amount of time and effort they put into stores. Make people feel appreciated and offer some sort of compensation for what they do. Employees are extremely unhappy and dissatisfied with your company!!

Assistant Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for less than a year

ProsRelaxed environment, nice clothes/discount, easy (so long as you aren't dumb), room for growth, competitive pay, travel opportunities.

ConsPoor management, promotions can be a little political, unprofessional, high stress, no overtime pay and you'll likely work more than 40 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one is held accountable for their work, which means the few hard workers do everything in the store with little to no recognition.

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!

Abercrombie & Fitch Videos

Abercrombie & Fitch – Why Work for Us?

Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is a leading specialty clothing retailer holding four unique lifestyle brands - Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, Hollister Co., and Gilly Hicks. Based in New Albany, Ohio, Abercrombie… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abercrombie & Fitch reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries. All 1,781 reviews are posted anonymously by Abercrombie & Fitch employees.