Abercrombie & Fitch

2,429 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,341 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - Impact in Dublin
    Current Employee - Impact in Dublin

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good social and flexible environment to work in.

Cons

Often monotonous and boring work.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Fun coworkers, flexible schedule while in school, great Manager in Training Program, very easy to move from a model (retail associate) to a manager position once you've graduated school, you can gain great customer service/people skills from this job if you apply yourself,

Cons

Low Pay, Poor work-life balance due to the fact schedules are only made one week or less in advance, management can be immature and unprofessional at times (depends on the store and the management team), company is very looks based and people that are more attractive get the upper hand over people that work hard

Pay your managers better. Since upper management only hires social, fun, outgoing, good-looking people it only makes sense that those people would want to have a social life outside of work. When your schedule is made a week or less in advance and you have to work every weekend it makes it very hard to make plans and have a good work-life balance.

As far as part-time model position and impact position the company does a great job. I am so thankful for the opportunities that came my way and the people skills I gained from working as a part time model at the store. The company will really work with your schedule as a student and is a great job to help you through college. My experience as a model was very good and very different than my experience as a manager.

Flexible Hours for Students

Former Employee - Model in Salem, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Model in Salem, NH (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Flexible, fun, attractive people, discount

Great atmosphere music and fun people to work with not the best pay but enjoyable

Cons

Pay, turnover, repetitive

Besides the pay i really enjoyed the time i worked there. Not many cons

None

An OKAY experience

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Flexible Schedule and the ability to meet new people

Cons

Pay and the day-to-day duties never changed.

I love working for this company because of the many opportunities it gives its employees.

Current Employee - Impact Member
    Current Employee - Impact Member

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is that they allow you t choose your own working schedule because they are well aware of how flexibility means to its employees.

Cons

Sometimes the store doesn't have enough coverage for the day and we have to stay extra hours to finish everything.

Why does everyone make this place out to be hell?

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved management. Positive energy everywhere. Sure maybe jeffries is crazy, and the customers can be annoying and gross (who leaves used tampons in a fitting room?) but seriously other than that I loved working for A&F. I worked for multiple stores with various titles as well as corporate office. Everyone I worked with was so friendly and so helpful including upper management.

Cons

The pay is terrible, but for a high schooler college student/ anyone under the age of 19 working part time that is to be expected. If your going to work minimum wage jobs you might as well work somewhere you can meet great people and have fun.

Don't hire attractive management. It makes it too difficult to focus on folding stacks of clothes. If you must hire attractive management, ban the fraternization rule forever.

Great working environment

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Fun, fast paced, exciting, cool managers. It was like working on a project in high school. Very laid back and relaxed.

Cons

Not a place to start a career, just go looking for fast money with fun people. It's immature and unprofessional. However for a first job that's not always a bad thing.

Keep it up

Impact position

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone seems pretty relaxed and no one was hard to deal with. You get discounts on decent clothes and triple A's become pretty cheap. Just an average stock position.

Cons

The smell of cologne in the store is way to strong. It's really annoying when you have to smell that strong scent for a long shift. I got recruited by someone to apply and eventually got hired, but they didn't even give me many hours and most shifts were on-call shifts.

Good start point for a career in customer service and/or management.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. You work with young and nice people in a fun environment.

Cons

Not being able to hire quality applicants only based on looks is very disappointing. Unrealistic expectation for higher management.

District Managers should worry more about their people and genuinely try to help their managers grow and provide the right training.

Lots of Pros and Cons - Mainly Depends on the Store/Location

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is fairly easy. All of your daily tasks are printed out for you in the morning so not a lot of autonomy is required. There are documents for literally every minute detail of the store. The atmosphere is fun and you work with mostly college kids who are usually fun and outgoing. The discount is pretty good and the clothes are getting a lot trendier with a lot less logos so that's a definite bonus. The Manager-In-Training program, if followed, is pretty good at getting you introduced to the company through daily activities, one on one time with your store managers, and conference calls with other new managers. The flexible schedule is nice because you can take 4 day weekends (Fri-Mon) without using paid time off. And while you will work weekends most managers are accommodating if you need time off for something.

Cons

The specific store you work in can greatly impact your experience. Bigger stores get more resources and attention. Low volume stores are really boring and you won't have many people working at a time. A&F doesn't have the best policy for customer satisfaction so you will inevitably get customers who are upset over things you can't control. There is a high turnover rate for part time workers and there is a ton of pressure to constantly be recruiting new staff members. It also can be difficult to take vacation since a lot of the year is blacked out due to the holidays, back to school, etc.

Regional and district managers typically think that everyone should live and breathe A&F, which is fine for them, but to most people this is just a job and I think their lack of understanding creates a divide. I think they could do better creating enthusiasm for the brand with part time workers and managers by coming in with a more open mind and providing more training and constructive criticism presented in a positive light. Too often visits to the store from district managers are more stressful than helpful and stores fall back into the same bad habits after visits are over. (All this depends on your manager, as I've had some great ones too, but the air of negativity is a general trend.)

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos