Abercrombie & Fitch

2,155 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,198 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with really good looking people - cons is that they are not smart (in 44 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • The lucky ones would get 8 hours a week getting paid minimum wage (in 232 reviews)

• Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in (in 69 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun for a short time, but no recognition for good part time employees

Former Employee - Model  in  Garden City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Model in Garden City, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun to meet other kids!

Cons

Hard to get shifts, little recognition for doing well and no opportunity of mobility. Met some people who were there for two years and barely got any semblance of a raise. Some managers can be extremely strict with their dress codes and zones, but its hard to care when you are there to serve folding clothes for 4-8 hours and acting like security for theft.

Recognize your good part-time employees. Maybe higher less and give them more shifts and roles in the store.

Terrible.

Former Employee - Abercrombie and Fitch Model  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Abercrombie and Fitch Model in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is good. 35%

Cons

Co-workers and managers have attitude problems.

Fun but grueling

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a fun work environment with young, energetic employees. In addition, you are able to travel around the city to recruit individuals as store employees.

Cons

The work schedule is grueling and inconsistent. Often times managers are required to work longer than normal hours, and your work schedule changes each week. Also, the pay is considerably lower, compared to other retail companies.

In order to prevent such a high employee turnover rate, allow for more of a work-life balance by reducing work hours and setting a consistent work schedule. Also, value the employees by increasing the pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Model

Current Employee - Model  in  Providence, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Model in Providence, RI (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

they offered some good employee discounts and a lot of say/flexibility with hours as long as you kept your availability updated

Cons

i did not feel like i was very welcomed by the company or treated with a lot of respect by my employers. the dress code was very strict and i felt like the "look" was very exclusive and restricted.

i think that the company needs to promote a more inclusive atmosphere

Low wages, busy work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Energy, fun associates, no real sales goals. Corporate isn't very responsive to anything store have to say, but its a very low pressure job. Benefits for FT are good

Cons

bad hours, worse pay. Horrible work-life balance. You have to be in a certain dress code, which means having a certain "look." I did interview with the company for over two years, and you know within the first 15 seconds who corporate expects you to hire, and who to not.

Model

Former Employee - Model/Associate  in  Champaign, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Model/Associate in Champaign, IL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely low expectations, simple work. Employee discount card

Cons

The call in system seems like a lot to expect of part time minimum wage employees. You often have to stay past midnight to inventory/rearrange. They try to only give you 10 hrs/wk so there are "fresh faces" You stand all shift. it's extremely loud and you will always smell like fierce room spray

Save your time!!

Former Employee - Floor Model  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Floor Model in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time for more than a year

Pros

work is slightly tedious, but never hard. Cool like minded people that work here

Cons

Underpaid, rude management, crazy customers.

Stop hiring college drop outs because of their looks and people who are actually qualified.

Good for making friends, bad for making money.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I made a ton of friends during my 6 years at Abercrombie & Fitch, and overall my days were pretty easy. If you want a fun and mindless retail job, this is a great choice. However, during my time as an Assistant Manager I learned a lot of great workplace skills, and if you're interested in staying in retail or fashion, being a manager at A&F looks good on your resume. Their benefits are very good too if you're a full-time employee.

Cons

Depending on your job title or how big your store is, this job can get stressful very quickly. Your boss will expect you to devote your whole life to A&F if you're a manager, and you're rarely praised for your hard work. The schedule is awful and you work like a slave for a very little amount of money. It's ridiculous that you even need a degree to be a manager here. Promotion is also limited because they company is downsizing, not expanding, so good luck being anything more than a glorified "store manager". I hope you like working on weekends and being responsible for all of the complaints in your store!

Higher pay. I have since moved on to a different retail job and I make $1.90 less as a sales associate than I did as a MANAGER at Abercrombie & Fitch. That is ridiculous.

gained a lot of experience, without the help of the company

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

i liked the people I worked with, my peers and the people that worked for me. I had autonomy, and was able to create my own work environment.

Cons

senior management is a joke, the company is no longer people focused. The job is challenging, with out any reward, and they don't pay well

Regional manager level needs to be re-evaluated, and District Managers need to be compensated and trusted. There is no longer any growth opportunity, so pay needs to reflect work requirements.

Learned a good bit but did not enjoy my time here overall.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work (most days), fun coworkers

Cons

Reliance on teenagers to show up and work, managers can be very immature emotionally, pay is below industry average, very little oversight so Store and District Managers can do whatever they please, which is most often to avoid actually working whenever possible so the responsibilities for which they are paid falls on others.

Reconnect with your people on the ground, stop leaving cologne/perfume out where it is so easily taken!

Worked for Abercrombie & Fitch? Contribute to the Community!