Abercrombie & Fitch

2,234 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,234 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• you got to work with people your own age and the managers were pretty laid back (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 244 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experience of managing and learning business techniques.

Cons

The pay, and job requirements. No sense of your own style, have to follow look policy. Most associates never show up for their shifts because they get minimal hours because company recruits every day. Recruiting is big. Upper management is not helpful don't give advice just constantly criticize.

Push for a change in the way the business runs and is structured

Lead Stock

Former Employee - Lead Stock
    Former Employee - Lead Stock

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment
    Laid back
    Good college job
    Fun coworkers
    Good location

Cons

Late hours
    Customer Service
    Young clientele
    Promotions
    Growth Opps

Good, short term job

Former Employee - Impact Member in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Member in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours were flexible, the coworkers were fun, and the discount was nice (especially when it was 50%!)

Cons

No real opportunity for growth, management takes themselves too seriously for an hourly, minimum wage job. Also, no raises for anyone, even loyal employees that have stayed with the company and done an outstanding job.

Abercrombie Kids model

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly co-workers
    flexible hours
    20% discount
    average pay
    always had something to do

Cons

Standing for long hours in flat shoes. The required shoes were flip-flops or converse which began to hurt my back

Its getting there ( Model for 2 years)

Current Employee - Model in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Model in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Im loving all the incentives the company put in place this month! ( October). This month's focus is on anti-bullying and they have a charity going on for it. We even have a few anti-bully t-shirts which definitely makes me proud to work here. The company seems to heading in the right direction. I actually do enjoy working here and i've done everything there is to do. Management is iffy you'll have some great managers and you'll have some crappy ones. Hours are awesome during season but suck at other times. I see myself being here for a several more years and hope to move up ladder quickly once I become an MIT. I love the idea of traveling around and working for a company thats global.

Cons

My biggest con with the company is their rewards for part time employees. When I applied at other retailers they were shocked to learn that i've worked for the company for two years and have never received a raise of any sort. I can go above and beyond or I can be lazy and take my time and still get payed the same. A pat on the back only goes so far.

You guys are heading in the right direction keep it up! However you guys need to get some better incentives to get people to want to stay versus leaving for other competitors. Maybe after a number of positive write-ups it qualifies you to get raise. It doesn't have to be huge but something to acknowledge the fact that the employee is going above and beyond.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Model in Ontario, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Model in Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount
    Good music playing during shift
    Fun atmosphere
    Schedule is pretty flexible
    Easy job

Cons

Barely any hours are given each week
    Have to do "call ins" which basically means you have to get ready and be prepared to work a shift when they may or may not need you depending what the store is like when you "call in"
    Strict dress code: no nail polish and very minimal make up for women
    A lot of customers spoke little English because I worked at an outlet where most customers were visiting from other countries so it was difficult to help them due to the language barrier

Management is doing a good job but I feel corporate should consider giving more hours to all employees each week and getting rid of call-ins.

Great opportunity to get management experience right from college.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Billings, MT (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It can be fun at times. You get a lot of skills to speak to in future interviews. Its a great first job out of college to be honest. Being in management there, the store is what you make it. If you want to have fun with associates at work while still getting things done you can. I have more cons and advice to management, but I honestly can say this is a legitimate job that you will learn a surprisingly high amount from. Abercrombie is ran extremely well from an operational standpoint.

Cons

The pay is too low compared to other stores and the amount of responsibility the job requires. Store Manager is really a soft cap on your career unless you are willing to move to either Ohio or make Abercrombie your goal and be willing to move to other cities and run stores hoping you will get noticed enough to make it to district manager, and that takes 5-6 years usually. During those 5-6 years you are making very little. The SM pay increase is small with a large jump in stress. The loud environment can get very annoying.

Pay at the store level has to increase if you want to retain people. There are assistant managers out there that have no interest in the Store Manager position because the pay increase is so small. I also feel that a cheap way they could increase customer service is to come out with product guides similar to AAA style guides so associates have something to talk about when we get in a new jacket. If a customer asks "Is this waterproof?" a confident yes and an additional piece of information would be much better than an unconfident yes. They ask us to speak to products but don't give adequate information. Also, DM's who have been in their position for more than a year tend to get pretty picky on things which is fine, but they need to remember that most SM's and AM's do want to work hard. With severely decreased hours budgets there is not enough time to get things done like before. That was a decision upper management made and it has consequences. DM's need to coach SM's on time management rather than simply pointing out issues. SM's hopefully know the issues and hopefully are working constantly, but sometimes it feels that DM's forget this. Also, cut it out with the vacation calendar. There should be way less blackout dates, I know this because I run my store, corporate knows a lot but seriously, I think I have a better idea of when vacations aren't a good idea. It is absurd how many days you cannot take vacations, and the RM approval needed section is just plain dumb. No one wants to bug their bosses boss or even their bosses bosses boss on something that can be handled in store or in district. It feels like a snarky way of telling you not to take vacations on those dates either, regardless of what the actual intention was. Also, great job on the one number (phone number to call when you have any issue), issues are handled well, especially POS (technical support). They are great.

Great People, Cult-like atmosphere

Former Employee - Impact Member in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Impact Member in Paramus, NJ (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people.
    Great opportunity to meet college-age people

Cons

The pay.
    Cult-like atmosphere.
    Zero accountability.
    High turn-over.

Stop being people's friends, and start being a leader.

Pretty good, but no form of raise

Current Employee - Floor Model in Douglasville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Model in Douglasville, GA (US)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work
    relaxed
    get to meet young people your age
    flexible hours with high school and college
    Look policy says its strict but not really

Cons

Can not and will not be allowed to work over 20 hours
    Hours are flexible but the scheduling sucks; you will get one or two 4 hours shifts a week.
    Managers are picky and show favoritism

Give more hours

Liked working there because the managers were friendly and the hours were flexible for high school schedule.

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Waterbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Waterbury, CT (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule was good at times and it wasn't a hard job to complete, so it was a good learning experience for a high school student.

Cons

Call-ins can be annoying because you don't know if you are going to be working for 5 hours in the afternoon/evening until an hour before you would have to be there. I worked at two different stores two different summers and for some reason the assistant managers that I worked under were never as pleasant as the store managers. A&F got some very good leaders in the manager positions but the assistant store managers both times were cold and I don't know if this has to do with training

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos