Accenture Reviews

8,965 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
3,602 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 588 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 524 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1147 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constructive environment And heaps of opportunities

Cons

Very fast paced environment which can take a while to get used to

A good place to start with

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depends on the project you are in. Bangalore location is preferable for starters to explore good opportunities. You always have your choice of what to do. Culture is good.

Cons

Would be great if onshore opportunities are given based on ability rather than work visa availability. Employee preferences(especiall work location) need to be respected rather than accepting managerial decision.

real life dilbert cartoon

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good place to get fast experience with different organisations and roles

Cons

the firm is full of people who have no idea what are they're talking about

Its ok

I have been working at Accenture as a contractor

Pros

company has a good culture

Cons

company lacks training and leadership coaching

focus more on employees

Know what you want and don't let them push you into roles

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities, great people to work with, training is great if you get a chance to go, as well as if you get time for online training

Cons

They will sell you into a role regardless of your qualifications. You may be a business analyst and get sold into an IT/testing role just to boost chargeability

Forcing people into roles, will make them leave if they can. Consider this when forcing people into roles

Fast paced environment, with plenty of opportunities to take on responsibility. Self directed career choices.

Current Employee - Strategy Analyst in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Strategy Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career with plenty of exit opportunities in the technology industry (due to a strong technology brand). Good hard working culture, fostering people development.

Cons

Lower than market rate salary
    Not a strong management consulting brand

Ideal first step, but know when to leave..

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- An ideal place for graduates to start their careers. New joiners can gain a lot of diverse experience in a short period of time, and will benefit from the Accenture brand on their CVs.
    - Accenture is a truly global brand with a lot of opportunity across different clients, industries and projects (one bonus is overseas training in Kuala Lumpur or Chicago - even better if you can take leave afterwards for a 'free' holiday). The experience of working across multiple clients is invaluable.
    - One of Accenture's core values is 'best people', and I have found this to be a true reflection of the Accenture workforce. I have come across very, very few people that I have not enjoyed working with - the majority of people are highly intelligent, very driven and a pleasure to work alongside.
    - I have always felt appropriately compensated for my work and found the promotion and performance cycle to be merit based. Occasionally someone 'falls through the cracks' but for the most part the right people are promoted.

Cons

- Accenture is ostensibly a technology company, and technology is at the forefront of almost everything we do. This can be frustrating for those (such as myself) with business backgrounds who are looking for management consulting or strategy consulting experience. Recruitment do not make the technology emphasis abundantly clear and I have seen many colleagues disappointed at the reality of being engaged on SI-type engagements in which they have little or no interest.
    - While there undoubtedly is a lot of opportunity within the Accenture universe, you have to be extremely proactive to realize these opportunities and control the direction of your career. Recruitment like to push the idea that you can 'choose' your roles, but the reality is very different and at an Analyst/Consultant level it is very easy to get pushed into roles that do match your professional goals. Typically, if a Manager wants to staff you on a project, you will have no choice in the matter. I have seen Strategy consultants forced onto 6 month long SI engagements before. This is especially a problem in small markets where the majority of work may sit across one or two industries and a handful of clients with limited variety in work.
    - Work/life balance is project-specific and very much a case of peaks and troughs. The peaks can be extremely intense, with 15 hour days, weekend work and late night conference calls commonplace on some projects. The salt in the wound is that the culture of 'ghosting' hours is seemingly engrained in Accenture's culture, meaning that employees are rarely remunerated for overtime. Thankfully projects like this are the exception rather than the rule, and at times it can be possible to work close to 9 - 5. Less thankfully, work/life balance gets worse the more senior you become.

- It is time to get serious about work/life balance. There is no excuse for under-resourcing projects and ending up working people to the bone at the expense of family, health and relationships.

System integrator, not a proper consulting company

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global network and opportunities, relocation possibilities

Cons

Quality of people they are recruiting, not great culture and value

Quality of people they are recruiting, not great culture and value

Very competitive and hard to succeed without self promotion

I worked at Accenture full-time

Pros

Diversity of projects and gain expire to a lot of business practices both within the company and their clients

Cons

Long, long, long hours. Promotion depends on performance ratings, but more importantly on how good you are at promoting yourself as an valuable asset

Every positive is followed by a bigger negative

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Opportunity to travel to KL or Chicago for training
    - Plenty of networking events (free drinks)

Cons

- Learning and development is lacking. While you do get to go to Chicago or Kuala Lumpur for training, note that this is once every 2-4 years and it's only 1 or 2 weeks. That is just about the only training you will realistically get. Also the training is too generalised, meaning you might get trained in areas that are not specific to your region. For our training we did case studies on digital marketing and retention, when in reality no clients in our geographic region require this type of work from us.

- Work life balance is terrible. Sometimes workers and senior managers will give you bad looks just for leaving ON TIME. I've seen analysts sitting at their desks until 7pm at night, literally doing no work but afraid to go home because Senior Management might not think they are team players. Pathetic.

- Promotions are inconsistent. Accenture will try and justify any reason to not promote employees for as long as possible. Have you had excellent chargeability? Good, except you don't have enough performance reviews..NO PROMOTION. Good performance reviews? Well you haven't gone beyond your work requirements. So NO PROMOTION. Good performance review and chargeability? Yeah but you're not working to a level beyond your current pay grade...NO PROMOTION. Their criteria for promotion and bonuses is painfully subjective. Talk to 10 Managers at Accenture on how to get promoted and you'll get 10 completely different responses.

- Pay. Not that good when considering how many hours we are required to work. I've never talked to anybody at Accenture who is truly happy with their pay, only a bunch of people who hate it now but hold onto hope that a good pay rise is in order when they get promoted.

- Treatment of Employees is poor. Managers and Snr. Managers are extremely disinterested and disrespectful towards employees. I was asked to work on excel models over the weekend, only to come in on a Monday and be told that they changed their minds on the requirements, but they forgot to tell me. Weekend well spent. Many of the lower level staff are incredibly fake and willing to screw anybody over to make themselves look better. Some lower level staff have been put specifically on certain project not to learn or provide value in any way, but to simply take the blame/fall for Snr. Management should the need arise. The ironic thing is the few genuine and cool people in the organisation end up leaving ASAP.

- You have no say in where your career is headed. You're pretty much put on projects to fill voids. If there is a vacancy they will put you on it regardless of skills (or lack of).

- Overall employee sentiment. I was on a particularly large client where the employees were so dissatisfied that the Senior staff decided to have weekly Friday night drinks paid for by the client to try and boost morale. Only about 1/3rd of the Accenture guys would actually turn up to these. People were so sick of the working conditions they wouldn't even turn up for free alcohol and food. The few bitter and fake pretending to be friendly people that did turn up would sit there and complain about work, the client, Accenture etc. I got sick of it after attending two, so I stopped going too. The few genuine and friendly people obviously never turned up.

Really need to reconsider how you treat your staff. It's not enough to say "Hey you work in consulting, so duh the hours are going to be long what did you expect".

Work life balance should be better promoted. It's not enough to just brag about how you promote work life balance. What are you actually doing to promote it? Where is a flexi-time initiative? How can we get recognition for the work we do when we're forced and bullied to write 7.5 hours on time sheets Monday-Friday regardless of overtime or work on weekends?

Rather than telling people to learn to swim or drown, why not put more effort into actually providing staff the correct training for their work?

I doubt clients would ever take Accenture on board if it wasn't for the crazy promises we make and the low prices we charge. By putting more people on projects to lower the workload and hours, it pretty much means Accenture is not profitable or the client simply won't take us on board. Accenture needs to earn respect and really establish itself as worth the extra money and expertise and not just simple cheap labour that can work 15 hours a day with no repercussions.

Another way to help lower the working hours is to train management more effectively. Many Managers and above that I have dealt with are indecisive and lack the basic skills required for leadership. This results in many mistakes and rework as a result.