Ace Hardware

www.acehardware.com

Ace Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Ace Hardware – US – “Workbench Ace Hardware”

Ace Hardware President and CEO Ray A. Griffith

Ray A. Griffith

Pros
  • you learn a lot about home improvement and retail(in 12 reviews)

• Good values and very positive with respect to work life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I only received minimum wage throughout the entirety of my employment(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and chaotic schedule(in 8 reviews)

Good first retail job.

Sal (Current Employee)

ProsGain knowledge of hardware and tools. Constantly solving problems for people that never get boring.

ConsVery cluttered back stock. In the particular chain I worked for "Frattallone's Ace Hardware" the Frattallones are terrible people, constantly yelling at workers, never giving raises or benefits. Terrible wage starting at minimum with no chance for a raise even if you have worked for a year. Managers take advantage of benefits and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the Frattallone's Ace Hardware stores. Review what the Frattallones are like and how they treat their employers. Managers take advantage of their bonuses.

Decent Experience, great high school job.

Cashier (Former Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsFlexible Hours, friendly people to work with

ConsManagement rarely listens to ideas of employees

great environment, lousy schedule

Prosgreat people and nice store

Consschedule that does not work with any kind of family life, quit providing any kind of health insurance after they hired me.

Advice to Senior Managementrotate schedule around so everyone gets a chance to have a day of with their spouse once and a while. rotate times so they get to have dinner with the family a couple of times a week. you will never be able to keep good people unless you work it out so they can have time with the family to have dinner or go to a game even just once a month.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great employer that treats the employees kindly and fairly.

Clerk (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsTends to hire great people and therefore employees can enjoy working within a great team. Good health care and benefits.

ConsPay is good compared to the big box stores but still not great.

Great hardware store!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThere is always something to learn. This is a great place to work. It's fun to help people fix their homes. You build lasting relationships with the customers and get to know their needs. Most of the stores are independantly owned and operated which helps develop a loyal customer base. The coworkers are friendly, knowledgeable (I'm looking at you Home Depot/Lowes) and eager to help out. Old school customer service is alive and well at ACE.

ConsThe pay isn't great. Not a lot of career growth. Benefits are lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a good job. Keep hiring quality people.

very fun and easy to work with really a great staff

Pet Department (Current Employee) Keystone Heights, FL (US)

Prosits fun im always learning new stuff and my hours are great

Consonly working in the pets id like to learn more

Advice to Senior Managementyour doing a great job

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked around schedule very well and learned a lot from the other employees and management

ConsPay wasn't great for all the work I did for them

Good experience pay is ok good steady job.

Material Handler (Former Employee) Wilton, NY (US)

ProsIt's a steady job. They give benefits and the benefits arent too bad. you can make a decent amount of money.

Consworking on an incentive program may cause varied paychecks and winter hours may drop.

Driven for the Customers

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) Nesconset, NY (US)

Pros-Knows it can't compete price wise against Lowe's or Home Depot so tries to enforce customer service.
    - Typically small stores so easy to learn what is it offers or not

Cons- Need more training on products, if the main reason people come to Ace is for the help
    - Since the store I worked at was family owned, management sometimes really deserve to have the position they had and would take advantage of it. I don't know if this issue applies to other stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some home improvement advice section in store or a special consultant to work in store to help with daily home improvement projects.

It was nice at first but went down hill the longer I stayed.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThey were relativley nice and I got my vacation days without any issues. Not to difficult of work and could be quite fun in certain departments such as paint.

ConsVery drama oriented and the owners were very cheap. The pay was awful and even in advancement they would not give raises. After I was promoted I was promised a qaurter raise when I became a manager, but they never gave it to me, and once I questioned it, they told me they never talked to me about it and thus refused it. Head management played favorites heavily. If you were not in the "inner circle" you were scolded for every little thing, whether it was your fault or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites and maybe show some appreciation to your employees.

Worked for Ace Hardware? Contribute to the Community!