Ace Hardware

Updated 15 December 2014
3.6

Ace Hardware President and CEO Ray A. Griffith
Ray A. Griffith

Pros
  • you learn a lot about home improvement and retail (in 14 reviews)

• Good values and very positive with respect to work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I only received minimum wage throughout the entirety of my employment (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and chaotic schedule (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros

Great work environment, lots of good people. Hands on experience.

Cons

The pay is very low, there are other opportunities where you can earn much higher wages.

Everyone is so friendly.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Faribault, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Faribault, MN (US)

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is negotiable on what you know or other previous job experience. After 90 day of employment then you get a discount. Plus they have over 40,000 different items in the store. If we don't have it in the store we could probably order it for no charge.

Cons

The only thing i can think of is, pay day is every two weeks. One more thing is learning where all the item's are located.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Associate in Salisbury, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Salisbury, MD (US)

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time (more than an year)

Pros

So much fun. I got to work with some great people and interact with fantastic customers. Most of the people I worked with were repeat customers I would see on a weekly basis. I loved it.

Cons

Pay sucked. Started at 8.25 an hour and that didn't change at all.

If you want someone to work there for a while, give them a raise and/or a promotion.

Great training for customer service

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chandler, AZ (US)

I have been working at Ace Hardware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ace has Customer Service training that works. If you do the steps with every customer, every time, you will make loyal customers.

Cons

Product training can be difficult with our small 5000 sq ft store, because we don't have "Departments". All 7 employees work the entire store. Cutting keys, mixing paint, electrical, plumbing, and running registers. We're not big enough to have cashiers.

Train employees how to use the computers. I took over a store where the manager didn't want to teach anyone anything about the computers. Most employees should be able to look up and find items, vendors phone numbers, etc.

Great job for students

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Ace Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great management. Great working environment. Great training. Opportunities to move from sales associate to management.

Cons

Tough dealing with customers when going. Not much room for growth within the store since they are privately owned.

Good learning experience terrible work environment

Former Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Ace Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are numerous opportunities to learn new things. With over 30,000 products in most stores, there are plenty of opportunities for self-motivated individuals to acquire unique, valuable skills. Also, given the inherently diverse clientele who frequent hardware stores, expect to learn a lot about customer service. Meaningful interactions with customers often develop into workplace friendships, with many customers being familiar on a first-name basis.

Cons

Horrible pay. Long hours. Inept management at many locations. Given that the company is franchise based, it can be very hit or miss regarding the quality of coworkers and managers. At the location I worked at, almost no one received raises, and even those with 30+ years of experience seldom earned more than $10 per hour. Additionally, expect zero opportunities for advancement. Once you are in a role, you will stay there until you are dead or quit.

Consider paying employees a living wage, offering opportunities for advancement, and hiring managers based on qualifications rather than nepotism. These steps would go a long way towards boosting employee morale. Additionally, happy employees tend to provide better service, leading to increased business overall.

Some good some bad

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros

Pay rate is very good. job requirements arevery stressful and demanding. Overall a good pay forr a days work. Definitley worth it

Cons

poor communication at management level... Workers and management do not see eye to eye on many store issues. Can be very stressfulat times.

Great company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time

Pros

Cool co work, great place to work in college.

Cons

Low pay, given a ton of work.

different not as organized as it could be

Current Employee - Drivers Helper in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Drivers Helper in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you only work 3-4 days aweek

Cons

not enough pay for the work

Ace Customer Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, community-oriented & local hardware store is a fun place to work. Most co-workers are locals and helpful when you need assistance. The store management is usually available to answer questions & offer guidance. The job requirements are not too difficult to master within the first few weeks. (i.e. cashier, product, stocking, ACE services, ACE customer service methodology, etc.)

Cons

LOW wages even if you have prior experience. No benefits unless you are full-time, but not many. Varied schedule that changes week-to-week. Not very flexible about time-off unless it is WELL in advance notice. (i.e months)

Experienced adults should be compensated per their experience. The same wage as a teenager is NOT going generate loyalty. High & frequent turnover can be avoided if a plan is in place to have benchmark goals & raises.

Ace Hardware Photos