Acquia

Updated 19 January 2015
3.9

Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

Awesome company for aspirational employees

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very, very smart people - some of the smartest I've ever worked with
    - Recent leadership additions - fantastic
    - Great training and onboarding
    - Involve employees in making long term, strategic decisions - employees have a big voice
    - Lots of transparency for a high growth company

Cons

- Hard place to "turn off"

- Every department should focus on up & comers - recent grads. Exceptional way to recruit lower cost individuals who also bring an interesting cultural perspective to the company. Would also be great to see the company continue to focus on diversity.

Great company to work for. Be prepared to work, but you'll be current and work with some of the best thought leaders.

I worked at Acquia

Pros

current
    strong business
    innovative
    very, very smart people

Cons

workhorse of a company
    fast is better than good

Focus on product quality and solve problems that reduce employee burnout.

What Tom Erickson is doing on Glassdoor is OUTSTANDING!

I have been working at Acquia

Pros

I'm not going to comment on the company. Rather, I'm going to point out that the fact that Tom Erickson, the CEO, takes the time to craft a personal and specific response to every Glassdoor review, positive or negative, is highly unique and truly outstanding. Most companies don't even respond to reviews, and when they do, it's a BS boilerplate response crafted by the HR team. Tom should be applauded for recognizing the power of social in the workplace and the impact reputation has on a company's ability to both recruit and ultimately, succeed in the market. KUDOS Tom!!!

Cons

I see no cons worth mentioning in the context of this review and the point I'm communicating.

See above. Keep doing it, Tom!

Dec 08, 2014CEO

Wow. Did not expect this. I am glad you appreciate my responses. I learn a lot from each of the posts, positive or negative, and try to ensure we reinforce the positives and correct the ... More

Great place to work, mostly.

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great environment
    - Talented and passionate coworkers
    - Employees are highly respected (unlimited vacation, flexible hours, remote work opportunities)
    - Cool technology and challenges

Cons

It's unclear what the long-term technical vision is across the company. Most engineering groups work in silos and duplicate effort. Technical debt is not paid down as fast as it is accrued. Engineering is very much driven by sales/product and not by technical needs.

Company is moving to a new Boston, MA headquarters. While this may be attractive to new employees, many are going to have to move their families, find new employment, or become remote workers. It's unclear how this will affect us going forward, but we have already lost good talent to it. I remain unconvinced it was a good decision.

We need technical leadership and vision, and we need to execute on a plan.

Fast paced

I have been working at Acquia

Pros

You are never the smartest person in the room

Cons

Extremely fast pace working environment

Nov 20, 2014CEO

A couple of facts for sure. Thanks for your post. The pace is certainly not for everyone and it's not easy to be >550 people and still growing >40% a year. Yet, many thrive and we'd love to ... More

Micromanaged Fast Growing Company

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Acquia full-time

Pros

The guy who created Drupal is there, and the company has the best Drupal talent in the market. Their Professional Services team can't be beat and the in-house tech team is very talented. They also have a very impressive client list.

Cons

It's the most micromanaged company that I have every experienced. There are meetings about meetings to get updates to the updates, and it's never enough. The micromanagement is a terrible waste of time and shows a lack of trust in the employees.

The goal all along seemed to be focused on an IPO. It never felt like things were growing organically. Always felt like the Board wanted specific results to get to the IPO, and the Management would micromanage based on the Board's expectations. They were really putting the cart before the horse.

Merge with or buy Phase2. If Acquia had a development arm they would have a monopoly on the Drupal market.

Trust your hiring process. If you hire properly you won't need to micromanage as your employees will be capable of doing the job you are paying them to do.

Focus more on your product than you do the IPO. If you do what you're supposed to the IPO will happen.

Accept that you are a business and not just a profitable arm of this open-source community. Offer Development services.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thanks for the comments. I see you worked in sales, so I'll reply with that context. I am confused by a couple of your comments, including "never felt like things were growing organically". We ... More

Intern

I worked at Acquia as an intern

Pros

Great Atmosphere and great coworkers

Cons

Can be distracting at times to get work done

Nov 20, 2014CEO

Thanks for your note. We love our interns and it seems like you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully you also learned some things as we try to make it a rewarding experience as you get ready to begin your ... More

Incredible People, High Profile Customers, Lots of Learning

Current Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are brilliant and fun to work with, and the culture here is amazing and very laid back. People are allowed to express their minds without reprisal, and we are encouraged to think outside the box and take chances when we have ideas we want to explore. Flexible vacation and sick days. CEO and most of the Exec Team are very approachable and usually fairly open to ideas and constructive criticism (within reason), and progress is always being made to improve office life and working conditions.

Cons

There is limited room for advancement in most departments, which is somewhat understandable since you can't promote everyone, but it would be nice if they were more candid about that. If you do find your way into a new position, it can be a struggle to get more money unless you're a rockstar and/or irreplaceable. Expect an uphill battle on either front.

Additionally, several departments are consistently understaffed as Acquia searches for more talent to keep up with our growth, vacations, and the occasional departure, so that can lead to a consistent middle-to-high level of stress, especially for departments with fewer people.

For most of us, though, the Pros that come with working here vastly outweigh the Cons. It's just good to know them up front.

Things have constantly been improving here over the past 2 years, and there are so many exciting changes and improvements on the horizon. Please continue to support these initiatives and push for them to be completed as quickly as possible without sacrificing their quality.

Please also consult more frequently with lower-level employees to candidly discuss their concerns and recommendations. There are a lot of great ideas floating around to improve efficiency and morale, but they rarely seem to make it through the "filters" in middle- and upper-management, and when they do, no time is allocated to work on them because of limited staffing and higher priorities.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Excellent commentary. Thanks. Very pleased you like it at Acquia, you're clearly the type of individual with this thoughtfulness that can help us continue to improve our company. You bring up a ... More

Great place to work.

I have been working at Acquia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great values.
    - Lots of star players on every team, very inspiring.
    - Tons of commitment to our customers and products. "Jump in and own it!"
    - Progressive vacation and sick policies, mutually respectful "do your job well and enjoy your time off" attitude.
    - Very flexible to telecommuting, at least in my department.

Cons

- Way too much to do ALL the time, can feel overwhelming.
    - You're responsible for your own work/life balance. You can work yourself into the ground if you are not careful.

Keep it up.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Very excited to see that you enjoy being part of the Acquia team! There's no doubt we have tons of stuff to do as we try and change the way enterprises think about innovation around their digital ... More