Acquia Reviews

3.8

Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

Incredible People, High Profile Customers, Lots of Learning

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are brilliant and fun to work with, and the culture here is amazing and very laid back. People are allowed to express their minds without reprisal, and we are encouraged to think outside the box and take chances when we have ideas we want to explore. Flexible vacation and sick days. CEO and most of the Exec Team are very approachable and usually fairly open to ideas and constructive criticism (within reason), and progress is always being made to improve office life and working conditions.

Cons

There is limited room for advancement in most departments, which is somewhat understandable since you can't promote everyone, but it would be nice if they were more candid about that. If you do find your way into a new position, it can be a struggle to get more money unless you're a rockstar and/or irreplaceable. Expect an uphill battle on either front.

Additionally, several departments are consistently understaffed as Acquia searches for more talent to keep up with our growth, vacations, and the occasional departure, so that can lead to a consistent middle-to-high level of stress, especially for departments with fewer people.

For most of us, though, the Pros that come with working here vastly outweigh the Cons. It's just good to know them up front.

Things have constantly been improving here over the past 2 years, and there are so many exciting changes and improvements on the horizon. Please continue to support these initiatives and push for them to be completed as quickly as possible without sacrificing their quality.

Please also consult more frequently with lower-level employees to candidly discuss their concerns and recommendations. There are a lot of great ideas floating around to improve efficiency and morale, but they rarely seem to make it through the "filters" in middle- and upper-management, and when they do, no time is allocated to work on them because of limited staffing and higher priorities.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great values.
    - Lots of star players on every team, very inspiring.
    - Tons of commitment to our customers and products. "Jump in and own it!"
    - Progressive vacation and sick policies, mutually respectful "do your job well and enjoy your time off" attitude.
    - Very flexible to telecommuting, at least in my department.

Cons

- Way too much to do ALL the time, can feel overwhelming.
    - You're responsible for your own work/life balance. You can work yourself into the ground if you are not careful.

Keep it up.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Very excited to see that you enjoy being part of the Acquia team! There's no doubt we have tons of stuff to do as we try and change the way enterprises think about innovation around their digital ... More

In one sentence I would say this was one of the best and worst companies I worked for.

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager

I worked at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Colleagues.
    - Great learning opportunity, although all learning is done hands on when something crashes and you need to fix it.
    - Lots of high profile projects.

Cons

- Too much micro management and scrutiny. The feeling big brother is watching every move.
    - Too much exposure to higher management discussions. As a technical account manager, my goal is to be great and useful to my clients, not be 70%, 80% or 90% billable.
    - Very little time allocated to training and practically no training budget.
    - Rough work/life balance sometimes.
    - Lack of care towards employees. Even though it's a technical position, you're only as good as your billable hours.

Start caring more about your employees and less about your numbers. After all, the people make the numbers.

Jul 12, 2014CEO

Certainly very disappointing to see your thoughts here, though I appreciate them. Clearly our employee recognition and compensation / benefits / equity efforts are not having the desired effect ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ready, Set, GO!

Current Employee - Sales  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can feel the momentum in Drupal adoption in the enterprise. This is going to be big..

Leadership in every department is phenomenal. Culture comes first here and it shows in many ways - community service opportunities, company Red Sox games, open door policies with leadership, food trucks, etc.

Be ready to ride this roller coaster with a community of people that want to WIN!

Cons

Training for new hires can be better. It is something they are actively working on and investing in. Be prepared to leverage those around you to learn more.

Continue to invest heavily in our new hires to prepare them to succeed here.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Thanks for your comments! I think it's going to be big also! Sales is a constantly changing world at Acquia as we evolve our model to optimize for verticals, new products and the mid-market ... More

Incredible opportunity - seize the moment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Acquia is an incredible place to work and an amazing opportunity for employees. It has very mature sales operations and marketing processes as well as a great professional services and support team. Prospects are plentiful and the demand for the products and services is very high. Customer satisfaction appears high.

Employees are passionate, intelligent and a pleasure to spend time with and they have a great can-do attitude across the globe. The leadership team is very experienced and approachable and the open door policy is refreshing. They are willing to listen to ideas and suggestions and you feel empowered to make decisions and own things.

With the momentum of open source and Drupal and the rise of the importance of digital within Enterprise organisations, Acquia is definitely on track to grow and grow and if you seize the moment and are along for the ride, you'll be handsomely rewarded!

Cons

As with any growing company, there are some issues and problems that crop up but they are becoming less and less and the ones that do are more day to day operational ones that any business experiences.
    The pace is hectic and you can feel pushed and pulled in all directions. You need to be organised to cope with the demands but that's how any work hard, play hard company operates.

Aug 05, 2014CEO

Thank you for your post. I'm very pleased that you like the opportunity at Acquia. We're constantly trying to figure out how to hire faster and better to alleviate the stresses of hyper growth ... More

Great company!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll work with very smart people in a fast paced environment. There is plenty of opportunity for career advancement. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. This company isn't perfect but it is going places.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to achieve considering the pace of growth and general pressures placed on employees. There are sometimes clashes between sales and marketing and long time Drupal community members but they are being managed. The company is trying hard to establish its own culture and identity but too often it is a tech-startup cliche (ie. nerf guns, foosball, beer pong). At least it is trying and is full of great people. I'm confident that these issues will mostly be worked out over time.

You've got a great thing going on! Stay focused. Invest in Drupal itself to make it the dominant platform for the web. Don't forget the SMB market. Keep investing in marketing but consider quality over quantity. Don't be afraid to be blunt and real about things that aren't going well.

Jul 09, 2014CEO

Some great advice here. Perhaps you managed to give our marketing team some advice, as our discussion yesterday about our Q3 plans reflects your statement above. Come by and talk to Tom W and see ... More

Opportunities like this are rare....

Current Employee - Sales  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been here since the start of 2014 - with 25 years of experience in the IT industry I have seen both good and bad across large and small and I have to say that organisations like this are rare. It has a compelling combination of capable people, high ambition, significant opportunity and great leadership. Acquia's value proposition is unique in the industry and it is fuelled by a group of people who want to make a difference. It is said that you only do something in life for one of three reasons 1/ To make money 2/ To have fun and 3/ To learn new things - here you have the chance to do all three. For those who are just starting out in your careers enjoy it and make the most of the experiences it will give you - this is the benchmark by which you should measure future roles - I suspect many will be found wanting.

Cons

It is a performance culture. It will challenge you, require hard work and will need your commitment. If you are averse to any of those then this is not for you. To be clear - all progress takes place outside the comfort zone but that is where the adventure begins! Yes Acquia is still finding its way and some things don't work but we are a young company and in exciting times. Acquia does not get everything right but it recognises that and everyone is empowered and challenged to make it better. Those who know LEAN principles or KANBAN will understand the power of this in building successful organisations. It values its people, their skills and talents but it does not accept passengers - everyone has their hands on the wheel here.

1/ We seem very process heavy and they are not always well documented or clear. 2/ More coaching and support around the onboarding side of things would help - there is a lot to take on and it changes quickly. 3/ Introduce "beer Friday" or even better "beer and pizza Friday"! Finally, 4/ would be good to see us do something for the "community" side of things here in EMEA - would help with the team building etc.

Aug 05, 2014CEO

Glad you are finding your time at Acquia enjoyable and rewarding. Based on other comments our EMEA experience has been hit or miss. Hopefully we are achieving more consistent positive sentiment ... More

Best Career Move You'll Ever Make

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Acquia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The passion and intelligence at this company is unbelievable. My time here has been like getting an MBA (I have my M.S. and I have learned more in my 2 years at Acquia than in my 5 years in college)

When I came to Acquia I thought I was hard working. The people at Acquia have redefined my definition of hard work, and it has brought out the best in me and has taken me to a new level. You've never see so many dedicated and fun people in one company.

Cons

This company can be challenging for people that look at their work as a job and not a career. To be successful here you’ve got to be committed to the success of the company.

I’ve had an incredibly positive experience with management and consider many of the employees my role models.

May 07, 2014CEO

Thank you very much for your review, and your passion for what we do. Disrupting an entire market - actually a few different markets - is no small task, and with your efforts and those of your ... More

Great company but management still experiencing teething problems.

I have been working at Acquia full-time

Pros

This company has great potential with some amazing success stories over the last few years. Great rates of pay.

Cons

Very little training provided. Expected to work several extra hours a week.

Dysfuntional Management still need to be more realistic about their goals and there is too much overruling.

Aug 05, 2014CEO

I would love to hear more about what you think we could do better. As you are still an employee, it's easy to get some time with me, I do it frequently with others. I would like to understand what ... More

One company I would never work for again!

I worked at Acquia for less than a year

Pros

The salary was ok, but not the added pressure of the environment

Cons

No Strategy
    No Management responsibility
    No stability in the company (hire and fire mentality)
    No retention plan
    No Career Development
    No support at all
    No respect for fellow colleagues

Rather than just throw people in at the deep end and let them sink. Would it not be better to hire the right people and retain them by giving them support and the relevant training for their chosen markets. A few dodgy leads from Africa and Asia will not help grow the European business!

Aug 05, 2014CEO

We clearly missed the mark in your time at Acquia. Based on your comments, I am guessing that you were based in the UK in sales. Certainly, our growth there had some bumps. We moved some staff ... More

Worked for Acquia? Contribute to the Community!