Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement(in 98 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions(in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited(in 27 reviews)

consultant

Informatics Consultant (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA (US)

Prosgood support from top management

Conspay increases are hindered by out-of-date HR policies

Advice to Senior Managementpay market value

Mother Aetna

Vice President Strategic Markets (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat discipline and company couture. Professional training second to none. Wonderful heritage with Home office facilities to share.

ConsNot compensating very well for specific resource competencies. Not a very good listener to cross couture especially current staff.

Advice to Senior Managementwake up - new time new markets (alternative) - different skills sets needed.

Aetna is great a place to work

Actuarial Consultant (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsFriendly environment, great learning center, well-established company, work-at-home oppurtunities

Conswhile working from home is a great , it has some downsides as well. Such as less reputation for work done compared to physical office environment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong stock price; terrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsStrong financial performance; some innovation

ConsMost unethical company I have ever worked for; primarily in HR department. Company has no conscience anymore. Everyone is constantly acting from a place of fear vs. confidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementI give up -- all the honest, ethical, smart, loyal, decent people are gone.

in business to put money in CEO's pocket

Prosthe salary isn't bad. The people are generally nice

Consmassive layoffs when the CEO gets a 132% raise in salary. That isn't right. expensive healthcare insurance with high deductibles. Poor benefits for a "healthcare" company

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to those in the trenches. Stop thinking you know everything. stop padding the CEO and senior leadership's pockets!

Working for Aetna

ProsHours are flexible which is always great and convenient. After a while you earn the opportunity to work at home which has made work-life balance much easier. The starting pay I believe is higher than most medical insurance companies.

ConsThere is no room for advancement, especially depending on the department you are working for. One department in Underwriting will promote their Underwriters every year until you hit the title of Underwriter, then it gets a little bit harder to get to the next titles after. Whereas other departments some take, I've seen from 5-7 years just to get to the next title. Also the benefits are not ideal. I thought working for an insurance company I would have stellar benefits. I made a completely wrong assumption.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think advancement and the way promotions are given should be definitely looked into. Also the benefits. Benefits are the biggest complaint all the employees usually have. It's always brought up in meetings but nobody does anything to change it.

Glad to be gone

Case Manager (RN) (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA (US)

Proswork at home, nice coworkers, not a difficult job

Consmisrepresentations when you are hired, empty promises made, no loyalty to their staff, some middle management are very good but others are incompetent and manage to get by
    cheap company

Advice to Senior Managementreward those who work

Equal to other, similar companies

Nursing (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsLarge company with opportunities if you look for them

ConsRestructuring cuts were made without looking at talent -- were blindly made based on job-position only. A lot of talent was lost to competitors and the remaining staff has trouble focusing on their job instead of updating their resumes.

Advice to Senior ManagementWarn employees that cuts must be made, then offer early retirement or placement packages to those who want to leave. Also offer training via the TBT to those who remain to move into new departments instead of firing them.
    BOTTOM LINE: Current employees can focus on their jobs instead of job hunting, and aggressive workers will remain who can help grow the company.

Customers service rep

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Plantation, FL (US)

ProsGreat atmosphere to work at

ConsMdanagement is very shadey, They don't communicate with you

Excellent work at home RN clinical care manager/American Health Division

RN Clinical Care Manager (Current Employee) New Albany, OH (US)

ProsFlexibility, great support staff, the best orientation ever! , generous raises and ongoing educational opportunities

ConsI have no negatives, You must be very independent and enjoy working alone at home on computer and phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing- it is obvious that you care about your employees and job retention. Your supervisors are very helpful. The AHH team is the best. New Albany Orient was high quality!

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!