www.aetna.com

Updated 19 November 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 116 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Aetna used to be focused on employee satisfaction and work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Repeatedly bullying/threatening by manager - because of telecommuting HR response is "she said/you say"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

interesting work, larger positive enterprise direction and positive contributions in changing healthcare environment

Cons

health benefits have large out of pocket expenses, Aetna student health management is a robust entrenched high-school styled clique who protect each other even when appallingly unprofessional behavior is perpetuated by its clique. Telework status and attempting to deal with these multi-year, multiple team members subjected to bullying, threatening and verbal abuse are met with no success with HR who chalks it up to "no one overheard so who are we to believe" and ends up siding with the manager regardless of a lengthy documented history of verbal abuse of staff assigned to them.....flat out disgusting behavior in the 21st century......time for Aetna to wake-up to its middle management problems.....starting with student health division....do not accept a position working there for Susan Pearson - it is the reason i left a couple of years ago...

address bullying and establish better HR management of reported verbal assaults/threats/bullying for telework employees because currently it is simply dismissed as "unable to prove" and employee is put right back into powerless position to allow bullying/threatening to reoccur along with retaliation on a daily basis.

Aetna

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in New Albany, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in New Albany, OH (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, nice coworkers

Cons

I work for the Aetna Better Health of Ohio plan - "Aetna Medicaid" as we are often disparigingly referred to by the other plans- and so I can only speak to my experience working with them. They are under the Aetna umbrella but undeniably the stepchildren and kept at arm's length. There's the sense that we employees for this plan are being punished because Aetna doesn't make much of the people we serve. Our population is more challenging and the requirements of our job more strenuous but our pay (by estimation) is about $10,000 per year less than parallel positions on the commerical side. The pitiful insurance package applies to all but at least their pay is more than mediocre. Our program is "new" though there was an extended time to prepare for roll-out and they use that as an excuse to have not effectively trained any of us. As a matter of fact, we didn't meet any of our managers until the second week when someone went to get one because people were so upset at having been dropped in a room with no supervision and no explaination of what we were to be doing that people were on the verge of revolt. We have minimal guidance and have had to all but outright beg for direction from our superiors. The guidelines, on the rare occasions they are offered, change frequently and information isn't effectively disseminated so no one is ever sure they're doing the right thing. When I contact my supervisor to ask questions I feel like I get an attitude for not knowing things they've never taught us. Every day there are group instant messages and emails among the large group of us who were hired together, all of us trying to figure out how to do our jobs, and how to get what our members need. Additionally, there have been continuous problems with getting the equipment we need to do our jobs. Several months in and most people still don't have desk phones or printers. Have I mentioned doing field visits with a flip phone from 2004?

Please train the staff. Even if the systems are not yet fully developed people need some sort of guidance. A lot of people come from different backgrounds - many of whom have not done case management, most of whom are not familiar with community resources, and absolutely none of whom know how Aetna Better Health of Ohio wants the job done. Quit treating your staff like they are stupid for not knowing how to do a job you never taught them to do. Provide some consistency in your message - managers shouldn't be constantly talking over and contradicting one another. Provide some structure to orientation - people like to know wha'ts going to happen and when. Being a new program is a handy excuse, but Aetna is not a new company. There's no excuse for dropping 20 people in a training room and just leaving them for 2 weeks. There's no excuse for a group of new hires having been forgotten about on their first day, and being left with only an apathetic Administrative Assistant to shuffle them around.

Aetna is a good place to work

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Newark, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Newark, DE (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership promotes individuality and upward mobility

Cons

Salary does not always match skill set.

Overall Aetna is a good company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training was great! Pay was good. Offices are nice and the "work at home" program is awesome. The work schedules are nice.

Cons

Micro-managing is everywhere! Aetna puts more emphasis on numbers than on members. Considering you are working for a health insurance company....the health benefits are bad.

Trust the people you hire.

Excellent employer with integrity

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very strong corporate values
    Intent to make healthcare better and easier
    Teleworking opportunities

Cons

Recent repeated change in operational senior leadership in the past two years
    Work life balance

Great place for opportunities if interested in work outside job role.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Leadership can be very supportive of employees. Really liked the casual telework option which allowed me to work from home and the office as needed.

Cons

Politics...can be advantageous if you like to dabble in it. Can be a huge disadvantage if you steer entirely away from it. Not unusual in a large organization.

Please consider improving on feedback for internal employee job changes. As employees go through the internal application process, it would be very considerate if the HR recruiter could actually provide feedback when asked for it. 9 times out of 10-no response is ever provided. How can an employee expect to improve their internal search without feedback?

Good experience

Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)
    Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good computer resources to make day to day work easier
    Supportive team and leaders
    Flexible work at home position .
    Good benefits including work balance benefits
    Company is filled with well qualified , caring people

Cons

Lost position after unit downsized.

Value employees that stick in though all of the changes

the company is ok, not the best.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ther are verygood benefits and incentives

Cons

the manement is set up with micromanagement

Enjoyed my time as an intern

Former Employee - Security and Policy Education in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Security and Policy Education in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, even as an intern I was given the option to set up my work schedule, I was given a company laptop which sometimes allowed me to work from home as an intern. Attended high level meeting with executive and enjoyed the work environment. I had coworker all over the country who we corroborated via phone and Webex meeting.

Cons

the cubicle can get really boring that you might fall asleep easily.

I had a great manger wish the keep up with the good work

One of the best places to ever work!!!

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is an awesome company the people are great. The pay is OK not the best. There are no micro managers

Cons

Some on the company politics they all have them.

Give some of the entry level taken a chance and the company would do ten time better!

Aetna Photos