Aetna

www.aetna.com
Employer Engaged

All business. Not a caring environment just meet productivity standards or you will be terminated

Former Employee - RN Case Managet in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - RN Case Managet in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria. Good orientation except if you are having trouble. Do not work orientation around your needs
    Employees are very friendly and are helpful

Cons

Orientation. Very complicated computer program. Terminate you after 30Days after telling you you have 90 days! My holidays are ruined now without a job

Instead of changing preceptors ( I had 3). Stick with one. Too hard to learn when they all tell you different ways to do a task. Don't just listen to you preceptors supervisor should see with her own eyes spend time with employee to get a better understanding ,

Toxic company

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Work at home used to be enjoyable.

Cons

They don't live by their own values. No or poorly done training. Only hire Spanish. Rude incompetent management.

No amount of words will help this company.

Disappointing

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Flexible work schedule; Work from home option; Reasonable benefits; If you can find an insulated niche, you can have limited success for a few years.

Cons

Senior leadership is weak and disengaged. IT is viewed as an overhead cost not a strategic tool. The culture is fear-based. Poor work/life balance. Employees are treated like widgets. Benefits continue to decrease while costs to employees increase even as company profits rise. Little to no investment in improvements. Foreign vendors greatly outnumber employees in IT and that trend is continuing.

Stop managing by spreadsheets and get plugged in. Consider the importance of retaining intellectual capital and invest in your employees instead of increasing outside vendor presence. Reconsider current IT philosophy. IT is a tool that can be used for strategic and competitive advantage. It is not an overhead cost in the same category as building maintenance. Create a real feedback loop instead of artificially doctored surveys and become more aware of what is actually happening at other levels of the organization.

I like working here but...

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Pay is good, I love the type of work I do. Coworkers are good

Cons

Management or lack of like to micromanage. Alot of employee management friendships. It's not what you know, its who you know! Plus, they are doing away with our whole department. Sending the work to the states we provide service to. I wish they would offer the few great employees with good work ethic and production to work fom home or something.

Beware of company's "NextGen" / "Vision 2020" strategy

Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Relatively good benefits: 401K matching, still has a pension plan, bonus opportunities
    - Many are given the opportunity to work @ home, at least part time
    - Hartford, CT offices are nice, good on-site gym, good cafeteria
    - Mark Bertolini, CEO, is an amazing leader, speaker and motivator; he is attempting to set Aetna on the right path

Cons

- Despite CEO's efforts, his leadership team does not know how to execute on his vision
    - Management does not listen to those underneath them; they continue to follow "tried and true" processes and are incapable of changing the way they think or operate
    - A culture of "bad news is not OK", "don't say 'no'", management elitism, and "blame the scape-goat"

Bring in some fresh blood at the senior management level. When driving forth a broad new initiative and strategy for the company, don't starve the program with lack of funding and skilled resources; make the investment necessary for success.

Stuck In A Rut

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

This is a friendly environment. Working here provides work-life balance.

Cons

The compensation is low for what they expect of you. Leadership needs to be more hands on. They also need a better way to troubleshoot computer problems. Growth potential in certain departments is lacking.

Management needs to know the role of the employer and make better strides to solving the issues that arise.

No complaint's

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with many benefits.

Cons

Culture is imposed new companies acquired without regard

None

Average experience with low compensation.

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Company Values (Aetna Way) is incorporated into the vision and strategy of Aetna, Senior (Executive) Leadership is strong and consistently looking for ways to innovate in the healthcare insurance segment.

Cons

Pay and benefits are unfavorable to competitors. Middle management is somewhat disconnected from Senior Leadership. Office culture is also a little cold.

Internship experience

Current Intern - College Co-Op in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Intern - College Co-Op in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Aetna as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Work environment isn't too stressful and I got to learn valuable tools for when I continue on full time.

Cons

I've been an intern for over a year and have not been hired.

There needs to be communication between upper management and their teams. There is a noticeable disconnect between my team and upper management.

Case Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, cheap insurance. Lots of paid holidays off. Laid back environment and get along with co-workers. Flexible supervisor, understanding with issues around having a young child.

Cons

Low salary, minimal raises and bonuses. Disorganized, questionable HR practices. Dysfunctional management. Difficult population of clients. Unfair work distribution among team members.

Be more consistent. Compensate those who earn it

Aetna Photos