Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros:
  • "Did I mention, unlimited income potential"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance, and Freedom to run your own business"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "No base salary for interns and it would be very difficult to start in this company because no one would help you"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Being an independent contractor means no benefits and paying your own business expenses"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You can work as hard as you want to, it don't mean you will earn anything.

Outside Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMake your own hours, your own schedule, boss. Solid products, plenty of corporate support. Gives you all the tools you need except a base salary.

ConsSaturated market. Way too many agents have worked our area to death. Everyone already knows what Aflac is and don't want it, don't care. Even worse residing in a financially depressed area. No base salary, you will quickly end up spending your own money for a company that has 700 billion in assets. Prospecting method is outdated and ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a base salary, new agents need the buffer of still having an income while creating their book of business. Putting the entire financial responsibity on a new agent in a saturated market is unfair. Also have hiring managers stop selling a lifestyle and start actually interviewing people for a job/position. Aflac will take any warm body so higher up reps can earn vacations and bonuses.

Sales Representative

AFLAC Field Sales Agent (Former Employee)
Bayamon, PR (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsInsurance policies are excellent products to be sold

ConsManagement style are more for them that for the company, is like they don't want you to be part of the company, but give them your leads

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so persistent in having the sales representatives give you their sales potential customer

Great product

Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you want to be in the insurance business, this is the place to be. I would never work for a different insurance company. Aflac has been rated as one of Ethisphere magazine's most ethical companies, and has been the only insurance company to be on that list, each year since the inception of the award. There is a nice product line and products are affordable and needed by many.

ConsWorking on commission only. Lots of cold calling.

insurance producer

I have been working at Aflac as an intern

Prosmake your own hours
good pay

Consonly commission
pure cold calls

A commission only job

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeing able to set your own hours is great. When time is needed for family or other personal needs you can do that. There is upward mobility if you so choose also. You can become a District Manager for instance and receive a percentage of those under you for what they earn.

ConsWorking commission only is a constant pressure, to me anyway. If a company bails...I get money taken back from my monthly earned. It makes it difficult to budget effectively, especially if you are the only breadwinner for the family. I think if you are a 2 income family, or a young person still living home it would be much easier for when sales don't go well that month or so. Also, they do not offer any benefits to the sales force. Even if you have a good month, the pressure is on to do more...make more money. It is non stop. Bottom line...they don't take care of their sales force...it is up to you as an independent contractor. There is a high turnover for these reasons I think. Most sales reps are only here between 2 months to 2 years and they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince we are in the insurance industry, it would be nice to offer some benefits to the sales force. We work hard and in all kinds of weather. Even a group plan at a better rate would help greatly. We are selling plans to help companies/people, and we don't get any "help".

A great place to work if you want a career to work around your life.

licenced insurance agent (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsUnlimited income potential
Unlimited income potential
Did I mention, unlimited income potential...
Freedom to work when convenient to you!
They served alcohol at the staff meetings!

ConsJob is commission only
Staff meetings were held in bars
Very hard to break into business with b2b selling!
District managers were very unwilling to assist with agents who were struggling!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease abide with the do not contact list!!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

not what it was sold to be, in terms of support and additional training being provided

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, decent people, get out of it what you would put into it. I would spend a couple of days with an agent first.

Cons, non-payroll cases took forever to get issued. Promises made and not kept. People quack up

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lose the duck

A lot of sweet nothings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac full-time

Prosfreedom, no boundaries for sales, unlimited income potential. You can choose your own work schedule. No higher education required

ConsCons- This is my experience with them. I wrote the pros, but I will write in as much detail about my experience to help other people. This company for independent sales people is exactly what it is from the recruiting process to getting money. The interview is really not an interview it is a presentation of their products and how much money you can make. When I brought my resume, all they looked at was my name literally and then tossed it to the side. I have to be honest the presentation was good and they are pros at catching people. Now from the beginning I felt iffy about the whole situation. For example the State guy (Presidents club) guy whom is the top dog in sales did the presentation. I asked him afterward for tips or if he had a card so I can get advice. He looked at me as if I am stealing from him. He reluctantly gave me his card and sped away in his BMW. Now here comes the quicksand I attend the training which is the next 2 days. Then I get my insurance license within 2 weeks. The entire time the sales pitch is being poured on me and all I hear is how much money you will make and that everything is going to be fine. Now I have my license and I am going to meet my DSC for the first time. He is nice as nice can be telling me how much he is going to help and we are going to get you to quit your job. I was excited. I did the cold calling which is very difficult to do if you are not familiar with sales. This is my first sales job. Now my first time went well I generated leads called about 25 in an hour. I got a couple of maybe's. Could not settle the deal and they did not go through later. This is when hell opened. My next couple of days really discouraged me. An owner cursed me out, one rep said you are the 5th Aflac caller today(it was only 10am). My DSC was non existent because I did not generate any money. I know that was the case because when I had the possibles he was helping me with my presentation. Telling me what to say, meeting with me. Then when I had no leads he would not pick up his phone, answer text, nothing. I tried for about 2 months then gave up. I admit it, it was rough. I had no support, no formal training. On top of that, the environment is not like 9 to 5 co-workers. Every independent sales agent is your competition, it does not even matter if they live in another state. They can get there license in your state and take your business. I could not get help from anyone. The environment was tense and stressing me out, because you have to pay for everything. It is your own business, but you have Aflac name. Many companies do not like Aflac because of the renegade sales people or the fact that they may not be reliable. I spent time and money on a train wreck of experience. I will not do aflac again. I know I am not a sales person but I thought that this place could teach me a bit. If you are not experienced do not do it. The work life balance is a lie at least in from my point of view. If you don't grind and I mean like to the point near you are working 7 days a week. You will not get that freedom. You have to work and hard. From my experience you have to work hard, and alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement DSC and up stop looking at the others as dollar signs. We are people to and need real leadership. If I need help for a sale I should not have to worry about you stealing it behind my back. Trust is a big thing if we can not trust then why am I working with you.

AFLAX

Aflac Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac part-time

ProsSet your own schedule is only positive

Cons0 field support which needs to drastically improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease field support

Opportunity knocks, but with some real hurdles!

Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company and brand, big opportunity(in the future), great training, freedom, no cap commission, great awards and trips(if attainable)

ConsHuge turnover, MUST HAVE SECOND INCOME OR A LOT OF SAVINGS!!!, a lot of cold calling, 0 base, out of pocket for gas and supplies, no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be honest about how tough this is for the first year or two, especially with the unemployed that have no income/savings

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aflac reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aflac CEO Dan Amos. All 552 reviews are posted anonymously by Aflac employees.