Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential(in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great(in 23 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow"(in 33 reviews)

Know what you're getting into if you're doing sales

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGREAT PAY, if you can persevere and are good at sales

Cons100% commission, extremely reliant on building momentum

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your sales office managers to be open and honest during the interview process

Positive and enriching experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, GA (US)

ProsTop-level, globally recognized and respected brand. Top management is willing to listen to ideas and in many cases try new approaches.

ConsCorporate headquarters is in a lovely small town in southern Georgia, but this may not be a good fit for some people. The corporate culture is extremely conservative, and while being risk-averse is a good attribute for a financial services company it can sometimes result in progress coming at too slow a pace for outside factors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight do a better job attracting and retaining talent if there was an option to be based out of other offices in larger markets.

Good interview. Seemed like I already had the job.

Aflac Agent (Current Employee) Glen Allen, VA (US)

ProsSalary is on commission so theres no limit to what you can make.

ConsIf you don't sell anything you won't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart of someone with a base salary

Jun 10, 2014

There is unlimited income potential! So much more than salary paid jobs...this is a career!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accounting Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAflac is a company where they have mastered appreciating their employees and from all levels of management. If a company wants to know ways to encourage a positive atmosphere within their corporation, they will most definitely need to talk to the people of Aflac. Outstanding job!

ConsIt is nearly impossible to think of a con. This company just offers a lot of benefits for their employees. It is definitely the heartbeat of Columbus, GA.

Rather linear experience as an Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Got to see what really goes on behind closed doors and how workers make their sale pitches over the phone
    - People are fun and down to earth.
    - Watched management give in-company presentations to educate and share experiences/know-how
    - Company isn't focused on stellar intelligence or amazing backgrounds. They simply want people that can sell. Straight and simple.

Cons- Prepared presentation packets for sales representatives but never attended meetings with clients.
    - Daily tasks were similar: arranging brochures, making copies, organizing excel files
    - Wasn't able to learn much and wasn't paid.

Advice to Senior Management- Would be nice to shadow a sales representative during business meetings.
    - The no-pay aspect is rather unattractive as well.
    - Lunch was also up to us (which is understandable through the job description) but it would've been nice to be treated at least once as a company.

Great

ProsFlexible Hours
    Easy Incentives
    Team work mentality

ConsYour profitability is in your own hands, so you can be your own weakness

Jun 10, 2014

Yes, you definitely must be a driven individual to pursue this career. But if are a self-motivated individual, you are golden!

Terrible place to work

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsI honestly cannot write any pros about this employer because it is a terrible place to work. They claim that you will make so much money working for them but that is a lie. The turnover of employees there is very high. In fact, when I came for the first day of my internship, no one has been there for more than a month, and most people were new just like me.

ConsThey do not pay you a single penny until you sell one of their policies (which nobody in their right mind should want to purchase because those policies are complete trash). They give you a script and a list of phone numbers and tell you to make 300 calls per hour (out of these 300 calls, you will be hung up of 100 times, and the other 200 numbers would be disconnected).

Advice to Senior ManagementJust shut the place down, it is worthless.

Great company to represent with excellent products!

Independent Agent Representing Aflac (Current Employee) Buford, GA (US)

ProsI love being able to help people and be my own boss at the same time. Great brand recognition. There is tons of training available and you get good support from managers and coordinators.

ConsI wish the districts and regions each agent works in were more organized. Some areas can be a little over-saturated with agents.

Awesome Company

An Independent Agent Representing Aflac (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL (US)

ProsTremendous Support from management, World Class Products, Great Marketing. Everything you need to succeed is right there for you. Great scheduling flexability

ConsYOU.... If you dont have 6 months of cash in reserve to pay the bills while your get started its really tough. This is why most agents fail. YOU MUST HAVE A TREMENDOUS WORK ETHIC. nothing is handed to you. 100% Commission means you start at zero each day

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what your doing. My DSC is awesome. he is always there for advice...very supportive

Jun 10, 2014

You are so right...as long as they've got a good coordinator team, the only way someone can fail at this is because of themselves.

You don't own your own business...........liars

Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsGood products and good paying claims. Name recognition.

ConsRecruiters promise big money and owning your business to get people to sign on. Lowest commissions in industry. Coordinator positions go to the yes people and biggest rats.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the commission based coordinators. More and more make a living off screwing the associates. You have people with no insurance background getting contracts as coordinators. Listen to your vets before you lose them all. Recognize letters of record from veteran associates, they have the relationships with the accounts not the coordinators. Higer professional management to run states and regions with a salary so they will do things right and with ethics. Treat people in the field the way you treat people in Columbus.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!