Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros:
  • "The Aflac name and they way they pay their claims"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Unlimited income potential with the proper amount of work"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "No base salary for interns and it would be very difficult to start in this company because no one would help you"
    in 19 reviews
  • "As a sales associate (Agent) you are a full commission/1099 employee with no benefits"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place to work if you want a career to work around your life.

licenced insurance agent (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsUnlimited income potential
Unlimited income potential
Did I mention, unlimited income potential...
Freedom to work when convenient to you!
They served alcohol at the staff meetings!

ConsJob is commission only
Staff meetings were held in bars
Very hard to break into business with b2b selling!
District managers were very unwilling to assist with agents who were struggling!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease abide with the do not contact list!!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A lot of sweet nothings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac full-time

Prosfreedom, no boundaries for sales, unlimited income potential. You can choose your own work schedule. No higher education required

ConsCons- This is my experience with them. I wrote the pros, but I will write in as much detail about my experience to help other people. This company for independent sales people is exactly what it is from the recruiting process to getting money. The interview is really not an interview it is a presentation of their products and how much money you can make. When I brought my resume, all they looked at was my name literally and then tossed it to the side. I have to be honest the presentation was good and they are pros at catching people. Now from the beginning I felt iffy about the whole situation. For example the State guy (Presidents club) guy whom is the top dog in sales did the presentation. I asked him afterward for tips or if he had a card so I can get advice. He looked at me as if I am stealing from him. He reluctantly gave me his card and sped away in his BMW. Now here comes the quicksand I attend the training which is the next 2 days. Then I get my insurance license within 2 weeks. The entire time the sales pitch is being poured on me and all I hear is how much money you will make and that everything is going to be fine. Now I have my license and I am going to meet my DSC for the first time. He is nice as nice can be telling me how much he is going to help and we are going to get you to quit your job. I was excited. I did the cold calling which is very difficult to do if you are not familiar with sales. This is my first sales job. Now my first time went well I generated leads called about 25 in an hour. I got a couple of maybe's. Could not settle the deal and they did not go through later. This is when hell opened. My next couple of days really discouraged me. An owner cursed me out, one rep said you are the 5th Aflac caller today(it was only 10am). My DSC was non existent because I did not generate any money. I know that was the case because when I had the possibles he was helping me with my presentation. Telling me what to say, meeting with me. Then when I had no leads he would not pick up his phone, answer text, nothing. I tried for about 2 months then gave up. I admit it, it was rough. I had no support, no formal training. On top of that, the environment is not like 9 to 5 co-workers. Every independent sales agent is your competition, it does not even matter if they live in another state. They can get there license in your state and take your business. I could not get help from anyone. The environment was tense and stressing me out, because you have to pay for everything. It is your own business, but you have Aflac name. Many companies do not like Aflac because of the renegade sales people or the fact that they may not be reliable. I spent time and money on a train wreck of experience. I will not do aflac again. I know I am not a sales person but I thought that this place could teach me a bit. If you are not experienced do not do it. The work life balance is a lie at least in from my point of view. If you don't grind and I mean like to the point near you are working 7 days a week. You will not get that freedom. You have to work and hard. From my experience you have to work hard, and alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement DSC and up stop looking at the others as dollar signs. We are people to and need real leadership. If I need help for a sale I should not have to worry about you stealing it behind my back. Trust is a big thing if we can not trust then why am I working with you.

Working in a sea of ants

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you were in their favor, they would give you deals that came in or
that came up after someone had left because of the huge turnover.

ConsThere were so many people working there that you would walk in a company's door and three people had already been there at 10 in the morning.
Management would hire their wives and give them percentages of your deals as splits when they hadn't been involved in the deal. Heck, they probably hadn't been out of their house that day.
Companies hang up on you constantly or tell you to get out of their business because they are so tired of Aflac reps continuously bothering them, telling them the same thing over and over..

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and start acting like a real company. You may not realize it, but your actions will catch up with you in time..

Opportunity knocks, but with some real hurdles!

Agent (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company and brand, big opportunity(in the future), great training, freedom, no cap commission, great awards and trips(if attainable)

ConsHuge turnover, MUST HAVE SECOND INCOME OR A LOT OF SAVINGS!!!, a lot of cold calling, 0 base, out of pocket for gas and supplies, no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be honest about how tough this is for the first year or two, especially with the unemployed that have no income/savings

unstructured intern program

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at Aflac as an intern

Proscold calling gave me so much experience talking to professionals. my interpersonal skills are thanks to aflac

Consthe intern program was very unstructured they basically left you in a room to cold call 8 hours per day

Where you finally get to see what you're worth

Business to Business Consultant/Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSupport from fortune 118 WWHQ employees and services, nearly 100% name recognition, absolutely unlimited income, ability to start your own business with little capital investment and risk and mostly just hard work and learning. Aflac prepares you with product knowledge, effective prospecting, a 4 tier training program from field trainers, regional managers, state traingers, and wwhq-driven online courses. Unreal support and an amazing culture to work in. Products being presented are needed, affordable, and most people see the value.

ConsYou don't get paid to be present. During training you have to work smart and be dedicated. The income can be high one month and low the next-so you really have to spend smart on high income months. Realize when you come in to track all your expenses-you'll want to have them for tax time so you can gain from the out of pocket expenses like gas etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very honest with people about what this position is. Reading some of the reviews on here, it seems like many people didn't realize they'd actually have to work to earn an income. It's very possible to make a very good income with Aflac and have the career of their dreams...but make sure know one thinks it's going to happen on it's own.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Valuable business experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros-Amazing team-oriented environment
-Flexibility and ability to make your own schedule
-Support from upper management
-Unlimited income potential
-Ethical company
-Great brand name recognition

Cons-Stressful not having a base salary
-Financial roller coaster for the first few years
-Being an independent contractor means no benefits and paying your own business expenses
-Negative perception of insurance in the market
-Assuming great risk for your mistakes; definitely need to purchase errors and omissions insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful making false promises when it comes to income

Not for everyone

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Prosflexibility, potentially no earnings ceiling, The people are really nice. The aflac products basically sell themselves. If you can build a strong client base, you're setting yourself up for success later on down the road.

ConsIf you don't see yourself spending at least 3 years here, don't bother. Be prepared to make little in the first year. You work with people of all ages. The turnover is high and the selection process isn't very strict because of that.

15+ years with Aflac

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAflac is an incredible "Business Opportunity". If you are looking to be rewarded for your hard work and commitment, Aflac is the right choice. Too many people don't look at this opportunity as a business. If you just want an hourly wage stay where you are, if you want an opportunity to earn a large six figure income in a business with little overhead investment you can't beat Aflac.

ConsTrying not to become complacent with success. Keep pushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more incentives to veteran agents.

Fantastic, ethical company, people are truly motivated to help you succeed.

I have been working at Aflac full-time

ProsTime flexibility, set your own schedule, job is what you make it. Huge opportunity to move up in the company. Strong brand recognition, and strong opportunity in communities. The company is growing fast and beats the competition hands down product to product and service to service. Friendly competition within company.

ConsTakes some time to get started and to see the rewards for your work. There can be some inconsistency in training between different levels but you have to decide for yourself what is important.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aflac reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aflac CEO Dan Amos. All 543 reviews are posted anonymously by Aflac employees.