Agilent Technologies

Agilent Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees (in 108 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life Balance sometimes out of balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Somewhere between "Good" and "Meh"

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

ProsAgilent has a pretty good work-life balance (as everyone is so fond of repeating whenever they give a chance). Flexible working hours, on-site workout facilities and classes, and plenty of places to go and chat with coworkers outside of your cubicle. Everyone I've met has been amiable, and I've never come across any "slave-driving" managers.

ConsNot the best pay given the cost of living, and profit-sharing is a joke. Management is very focused on shareholder value above employee compensation (or morale, in some cases), leading to some friction between the different levels of the workforce. Also, there are cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to play coy and just admit that stock price is the most important part of your job. Stop pretending that employees come first. Also, get rid of stack ranking; all it does is destroy employee morale while providing nothing.

Great Company Overall

Prosgreat place to work, work life balance is truly practiced, freedom are given to interact directly with superior and to work on the project you want to do.

Consunfortunately, bonus is generally less compare to industry ( company are not doing well now)however it's consider a trade off too when you have better life control.

Good company but India finance leadership needs revamp

ICB Expert (Current Employee) Mānesar (India)

ProsWork life balance
    Less work more pay compared to other companies

ConsPathetic hierarchy structure (people managers think they are god)
    India CGM
    Manesar location
    Working in SILOs
    Immediate boss is afraid to recognise and provide exposure to employees
    Pathetic on boarding plan for finance employees

Advice to Senior ManagementAbolish the OM or IM positions, they do the same job
    Separation of company should have been managed better with involvement at all levels from the beginning

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent prior to the split from HP

ProsInteresting work is available to challenge engineers.

ConsLower than competative wages for most US employees except very high level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on innovation not on cost cutting. Value employees and pay above average compensation. Rebalance age distribution in US and Europe.

Good if ur directly employed

Marketing (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosthe salary, work load is balanced, the work done is very systematic, average co-workers

Consif ur not on direct payrolls of agilent, u can gv the thought of joing a second chance, as u will face a hell lot if issues with salary.

and the second major drawback is the designation provided is not as per ur experience

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to even those who are not employed under the direct payroll.

Great People, Work/Life Balance, Location

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

Pros1. This is the one company I know that actually *does* live its values. 2. The work-life balance is so ingrained in the culture that it's just "how we do things". 3. I never expected to be here this long; I've been able to change my job every three years or so.

ConsWe've still got employees who oppose new ideas with, "Well, at HP we..." or "Bill & Dave wouldn't have done it that way" ... I'm way past tired of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can better balance the short-term and long-term so that we're not so very beholden to the quarterly Wall Street expectations. We are a long term play; we need investors who understand that.

nice company

Prosculture, high quality people, high tech

Consdynamic business, has sold many BU

Agilent Technologies- a good place to work, but struggles a bit to adjust with the volatile market.

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsOverall a good company with a nice working atmosphere and facilities, knowledgable experienced employees for most part. Flex hours allow for a nice work/life balance, pension and 401K, profit sharing, and reduced medical benefits.

ConsPay not the greatest, but comparable. Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees. Gross mismanagement at the upper level with failed acquisitions/outsourcing and corporate greed. Too much emphasis on bean counting and not enough on quality, customer satisfaction, or employee retention. Top share of Life Science marketplace is in jeopardy due to these poor policies and decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that the 'split' is over, turn the focus from cost reductions back to quality, and customer/employee satisfaction. Do more research or investigate fully before any future acquisitions. Profit sharing has been in the toilet since the latest mergers, and wages have been stagnant for some time, but CEO's and boardmembers continue to enjoy ridiculous salaries and bonuses.

Great experience

ProsWork Culture Operating Model Leadership

ConsStagnation in roles
    Attrition ver low

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the ground reality

Overall would recommend

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Great people to work with
    - Overall good values and integrity, at least in the Field Services department
    - Flexible working hours, though lots of overtime

Cons- No clear path for career advancement/promotion
    - Not many valuable leadership opportunities
    - Not too much contact with colleagues in the field (can be considered a pro to some)

Advice to Senior Management- Try to promote/value/challenge staff more. Agilent seems to do a great job hiring. I have no complaints about any one I have had to deal with in the organization, but Agilent needs to improve on retaining people because of lack of structure in valuing and challenging their workforce.

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!