Allegheny Ludlum

3.1

Terry L. Dunlap

Hourly union employee

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum

Pros

the wages, benefits, and retirement

Cons

the management is the worst. they say we have Rcm but they won't fix anything, just patch it up and get producing product. They try to reprimand employees around the contract. There payroll program shorted people's pay for 2 years and once found the company offered to" split the difference" and pay half. The company keeps trying to reduce wages, benefits and the work force while trying to raise out of pocket health care cost. Going down hill fast.

bring back Paul Ferrara. Great leader

ATI AL is a Metals company for the future

Current Employee - Account Representative in Natrona Heights, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Natrona Heights, PA (US)

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Safety is a high priority here at all levels of the organization. The company is deeply committed to making continuous investment in its operations. The people I've worked with are mostly very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and responsible. There are many opportunities for growth, and management is very approachable. People do get together regularly outside of work for happy hour or other activities.

Cons

This company has silos within silos. Some managers are people who never should be given the responsibility of managing people, but that is slowly changing. The corporate IT systems date from the 1980s and early 1990s and impede efficiency and growth. Change takes place slowly, but I feel that upper management is aware of where the company as a whole needs to go.

Continue to break down the silos within the company and prioritize our strengths to help the company maximize its profits. Helping people to become more efficient by providing more cross-training and improved systems will help us to move forward toward those goals.

Good work environment, and good starting pay

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum

Pros

Pay, Good atmosphere, Diverse age groups and backgrounds

Cons

Difficult environment at times, depending on location can reach 140 degrees while working

good

Current Employee - Steel Worker in East Vandergrift, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Steel Worker in East Vandergrift, PA (US)

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great.

Cons

work weekends and midnight shift. the schedule changes with no notice

Starter Job

Current Employee - Process Engineer II
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum

Pros

Great union force, high starting salary, open to learning

Cons

reception to change, slow promotion

need more youth in the company

My responsibilities exceed job description and compensation.

Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Washington, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Washington, PA (US)

I have been working at Allegheny Ludlum

Pros

The people are good to work with. The benifits are good and the company's financial security is very solid. It is a technology forward thinking company.

Cons

The organization structure is currently filled with too many vertical layers, and thus the lower-end salaried positions become the work horses without the recognition or compensation.

Align the organization correctly. Compensate employees based on job performance and not seniority only. Define metrics which acheive the overall business unit goals instead of pinning them against one another.

Only good thing is the salary.

Former Employee - Engineer in Brackenridge, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Brackenridge, PA (US)

I worked at Allegheny Ludlum

Pros

Good compensation, received a signing bonus . Very competitive benefits including heathcare and vacation time. Not much else positive to say besides the pay, which isn't enough for the work you are expected to perform.

Cons

Long hours in filthy, noisy, and dangerous working conditions. I usually averaged 11+ hour days, often with no time given for lunch. Not somewhere where it is easy to move up. I interviewed for and was offered an engineering position in their tech center but on the first day of work was told it was now electrical maintenance on their strip mill. There is a giant disconnect between production/maintenance and corporate/HR. Very unfriendly and hostile environment, especially the union workers who have it in for any salaried employee, even so far as to purposely breaking equipment, endangering employees, etc. Management always looks at it with a blind eye to avoid union problems, which only encourages further abuse and harassment.

Terry L. Dunlap is only in his position because he married the daughter of the former owner of the company. He is completely unqualified, both in respect to steel production as well as general business knowledge. Management needs to be closer to production and maintenance, instead they sit in their offices and implement misguided policies and programs and blame the support staff when it doesn't work.