Almost Family

Add Photos

Almost Family Chairman, President, and CEO William B. Yarmuth

William B. Yarmuth

Hetic

Home Health Aid (Former Employee)
Madisonville, KY (US)

I worked at Almost Family part-time for more than a year

ProsYou set your own schedule.

ConsThe company will change your schedule and not tell you. If they don't get paper work by the time they decide to close payroll then you do not get paid for the full amount of time you put in on that week but it will be on the next check. The office manager is also very disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get your stuff together. It is very concerning when people count on their job to pay them for the work that they did that week and be shorted on their check.

AVOID ALMOST FAMILY AS AN EMPLOYER

Clinical Manager (Current Employee)
New Haven, CT (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no PROS with this company. The turnover is horrendous. 26 employees resigned on one day. No training, medical benefits are awful @ $195.00 per week out of your paycheck, the directors are micromanaged by the out of state regional staff who are absolutely clueless. The workload/paperwork is antiquated (no computers or EMR) for field staff. Most staff are either fired or quit within one year of employment. They are verbally abusive to employees.

ConsBeing that the workload is impossible and the paperwork is endless but mandatory to complete you must work overtime to get it done, however, they do not pay you overtime even if your time sheet states your are there over 50 to 65 hours. There are no raises, bonuses, or even a Thank you. The clinical staff is stretched to the max, almost to a dangerous factor where something bad is going to happen, yet it is overlooked because they want the max for the minimum and cannot keep staff employed due to the negative work environment, or they terminate you if you try to make suggestions as to how they can make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to TRY to do the job they expect the employees should do, with the earnings the employees receive! They will then realize it is impossible. They need to look in the mirror and admit to themselves that NO it is NOT NORMAL for an employer to have such a horrendous staff turnover. Employees lasting 6 months to a year means a WAKE UP CALL is needed to stop letting your company title of REGIONAL DIRECTOR, or DIRECTOR, or MANAGEMENT means that you know what you are doing, because guess what, you don't. Be honest with yourself. Say it's not working. Be big enough to look at yourself in the mirror and admit that the name tag you put on when you start your work day is worth nothing but the piece of plastic it is, yet you let that little piece of plastic go straight to your ego, and that perhaps you and your skill set are the reason your company is such a mess. By the way, stop the nonsense of how much money the company is losing, as being why they pay so poorly, when in fact they purchase hundreds of other like businesses at a time. Face yourself in that mirror, look at your eyes in that reflection, and admit YOU have failed, and deflate your huge EGO.....if you don't do it...KARMA will.

Mixed bag

RN Field Nurse (Current Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat coworkers. Rewarding work. Flexible schedule.

ConsNo computers for clinical staff. Paperwork can get to you after a while. High turnover. Poor benefits package. High volatility in patient referrals.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade to computers.

Almost Crazy!

I have been working at Almost Family

ProsWeekly Pay (But not always Correct). Worked with a team dedicated to do more with less.

ConsI have never worked for a company that has no (ZERO) Work Culture! If you like to watch a senior leadership team constantly play Wack-A-Mole (Employee) then this is the place for you. HR has no teeth to enforce a positive work culture. One VP canceled approved vacation time during the christmas holiday season without notice for no apparent reason. No annual raise, No annual evaluations, and an awful benefits and compensation package. WARNING! DO NOT SEEK EMPLOYMENT @ ALMOST FAMILY. It is absolutely the armpit of Home Healthcare Employment!

Advice to Senior ManagementHeads Up Guys! You are going to continue to lose talent to other companies that are vested in their employees. When you realize that Human Capital is a resource to be valued and not abused, you will slowly climb out of the corporate hole that you have dug yourself into. Like My Daddy always Told Me, "When you're in a hole...... STOP Digging."

It has been great!

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

ProsI like working with in home patients.

ConsIt has been some long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice for manangement

They really care about their clients.

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Almost Family part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible schedules and great pay, The Director really tries to be fair by trying to give everyone some hours, need more cases for work.

ConsNot alot of hours , a little of favoritism to older employees at times. Sometimes good employees get pushed out by not so good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits need to be tweeked, need PTO and better insurance for their employees.

RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY

AE Account Executive (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsClinical Staff were well trained.

ConsSales/Marketing staff are treated poorly, threatened, and verbally abused by management staff. Upper management and human resources turn a blind eye to the behavior. Pay is about 12,000 under market standards. The referral process is based on a gimmick/marketing ploy of Senior Advocacy to gain straight Medicare referrals. Most locations do not take any other managed care plans at all. What about this says "Senior Advocacy"? Turnover is high among lower staff as well as upper management. No real chance at bonus, because the structure is ridiculously unachievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new focus on seniors, a true passion to help all seniors even those with a managed care plans. Be more supportive of your staff that are in the trenches, while you sit in your ivory tower!

lpn/hha

Licensed Practical Nurse Nursing (Former Employee)
Naples, FL (US)

I worked at Almost Family part-time for less than a year

ProsI received fulltime work 60 to 85 hours per week

Consft until summer then received 10 hours a week

Advice to Senior Managementcut down on the paper work on applying 21 years experience should be enough to say you known what your doing and how to do it

Steer Clear of this employer if you want to keep your sanity

Clinical Manager (Current Employee)
Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsWeekly paychecks are good as long as they are correct.

ConsNo training, poor Management, expectation to know what the rules are but won't tell you the rules, Management rude and has a huge ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. CEO, you should make it mandatory that all staff get trained properly before you give them grief for not knowing what to do. I worked there 1 year and got training 2 days before I left. Does this mean that the upper management realized what mistake they made? Training is everything. Look at the reviews from a few years ago. Same problems and complaints. Nothing will ever change.

The worst company you will ever work for!

Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good co-workers trying to make a living. Pays the bills.

ConsNothing is good about this company. The turnover is ridiculous. The Account Executives are treated like crap and let go left and right. They fire and cancel health insurance while employees are in the hospital. If you take this job, you will be miserable within 6 months and it will go down hill from there. For a Health Care company, they are heartless. No, I have not been fired and yes, I am still employed here but like everyone else, I am clawing my way to get out of here. I don't ever write negative things like this, but you could never imaging the crap that goes on with this company. Interviewing Run away as fast as you can!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees. Stop working for purely the shareholders. Set achievable goals and PAY THEM, REWARD THEM! Get rid of everyone in Kentucky that has anything to do with corporate decision making.

Worked for Almost Family? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Almost Family reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Almost Family CEO William B. Yarmuth. All 32 reviews are posted anonymously by Almost Family employees.